Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

The dreaded hybrid is definitely a valid reason for people to have the guard up but there are ways for this to work out fine.

Let's pretend the film adapted SA1 and filled in the gaps in order to achieve a full run time. Sonic and Co are in a word, or at least a part of one, inhabited by humans. The areas populated by humans are very grounded as well. I mean beaches, cities, forests, theme parks and so on are all very much rooted in reality. Of course the game makes them a bit more wacky for the action stages to make them more interesting and fun to traverse.

It all really depends on what is CGI and what is live action. We know the precedent for these types of movies but it's not a closed book case that this will follow the same route. I mean for all we know we're going to have Shia Labeouf on a green screen wondering around the Sonic universe for an hour and a half.

To me, we're just too in the dark right now to really be able to gauge it. Right now there isn't enough information relating to the movie for me to get all down and grumpy about it. We can either be optimistic or pessimistic about this, both are completely valid, but I know I'd prefer to see the positives in things and you can call me naive or ignorant all you like.

The fact there's an actual Sonic Movie in the works is still something that makes me smile and until we see something from this I'll still be excited to see more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Cinematic Universe? Yeahhh not gonna happen.

I don't have high hopes for this film. The PG-13 rating (this IS Sony we're talking about!), the live action/CGI mix...of course I can't properly judge it until we get a teaser trailer or poster but I'm not excited for it, let's just say that! 

What would be worse: for this movie to turn out to be a goofy, stupid, toilet-humor filled "Sonic goes to the real world" type of outing, or for it to take a page out of the SA2/ShTH/06 playbook and try to be "grim and gritty" and set in the real world all along? I mean, I liked SA2's story just fine for the most part, but the latter two games certainly show that that formula can have horrible results.

What would be worse: for this movie to turn out to be a goofy, stupid, toilet-humor filled "Sonic goes to the real world" type of outing, or for it to take a page out of the SA2/ShTH/06 playbook and try to be "grim and gritty" and set in the real world all along? I mean, I liked SA2's story just fine for the most part, but the latter two games certainly show that that formula can have horrible results.

I really don't see how the Sonic movie can be "goofy" or "stupid" when Van said he's aiming for a PG-13 rating unless you want adult comedy in Sonic, which is universally agreed as a no-no. Also I recall Van saying that the Sonic movie won't be like "X character goes to the real world and meet celebrity co-star and wacky hijinx commence". Another thing to be noted is that Van did took the time to do some research on Sonic and has played games like SA2 and the classic games on Twitch, I recall. So I have a fair amount of confidence that Van will provide a solid script and plot for the movie that's fitting for the series and its fans. Marza will also provide amazing animation as they always do since Unleashed so the only possible issue I can see is the direction but I don't recall hearing that the movie has a director yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

I took that to mean Cinematic Universe Rules like how the Marvel Cinematic Universe is elements mostly comprised of not just Universe-616 but also the Ultimate elements that do work. So pretty much 45% 616, 45% Ultimates, and 10% new stuff. 

And with Sonic the Hedgehog of all franchises? We've had the Oshima Sonic, Manga Sonic, Adventures Sonic, Sonic the Comic, Sonic the Freedom Fighter, Sonic the Guitarist, Uekawa Sonic, Childrens' Book Sonic, and even Time Cop the Hedgehog. If my logic here holds up in that this is just like the MCU in that it doesn't keep to the original continuity but works with several ideas that do work to make a new and very Cinematic Sonic amalgamation? Then we're in for a wild ride. Bring on that Sonic Cinematic Universe, Robichaux. I hope Sega approves, mate. I've been aching for something like this for the longest time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't see how the Sonic movie can be "goofy" or "stupid" when Van said he's aiming for a PG-13 rating unless you want adult comedy in Sonic, which is universally agreed as a no-no. Also I recall Van saying that the Sonic movie won't be like "X character goes to the real world and meet celebrity co-star and wacky hijinx commence". Another thing to be noted is that Van did took the time to do some research on Sonic and has played games like SA2 and the classic games on Twitch, I recall. So I have a fair amount of confidence that Van will provide a solid script and plot for the movie that's fitting for the series and its fans. Marza will also provide amazing animation as they always do since Unleashed so the only possible issue I can see is the direction but I don't recall hearing that the movie has a director yet.

You're still forgetting the fact that studio executives can change their mind at the drop of a hat. It's not up to Van what the movie will be like, but Sony,

With that said, the fact that the next Smurfs movie is all animated would lend some credence to what Van says, so who knows. 

Well that is true but nothing's confirmed and it's gonna be like that until we get either an actual poster or teaser, which won't happen a couple of years from now. 

I would say that if this movie ends up being stupid then there will be a small chance of it getting sequels.. but then I remembered Alivin and the Chipmunk sequels. So anything is possible... 

If done right, a sonic cinematic universe would be pretty dang cool. I don't know if it's a good idea to do but, hey, if the first movie ends being entertaining then I guess I wouldn't mind. 

A cinematic universe could be interesting but as Neps said, I would find it hard to do since the characters are fairly simple of course some characters are more complex than others, like we can all agree that Shadow is A LOT more complex than per say, Big the Cat.

But that doesn't really mean they can't still do it, I could totally be down with a Team Dark movie with a lot of nice drama and action with good amount of character development and/or growth. Heck, the Chaotix can totally do a satirical mystery movie that still tells a genuine mystery but of course pokes fun at mystery tropes. 

It can be done but they've gotta go all out and use the characters as best as they can or go home, drunk, naked and possibly lost a kidney.......

A Sonic Cinematic Universe? I'm going to assume he's joking. That's a pretty ridiculous idea. The whole reason the MCU works is because each character is like a franchise in itself which would be able to sustain themselves on their own. Combining them into a big crossover is extremely exciting because of that. 

With Sonic, this doesn't work. There isn't a single Sonic character that need and entire movie devoted to themselves, and none of them are popular enough to warrant it. Who want's to see a movie about Knuckles or Team Chaotix or Silver or whoever? It just wouldn't pan out. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I hope by Sonic Cinematic Universe that it's just a different way of saying "movie-verse" like how we call the sonic boom franchise the boom-verse or the Archie comics the Archie-verse or something like that.

A Sonic Cinematic Universe? I'm going to assume he's joking. That's a pretty ridiculous idea. The whole reason the MCU works is because each character is like a franchise in itself which would be able to sustain themselves on their own. Combining them into a big crossover is extremely exciting because of that. 

With Sonic, this doesn't work. There isn't a single Sonic character that need and entire movie devoted to themselves, and none of them are popular enough to warrant it. Who want's to see a movie about Knuckles or Team Chaotix or Silver or whoever? It just wouldn't pan out. 

I would. 

I'm really confused as to why so many people are acting like the Sonic Cinematic Universe comment was meant seriously.

I guess it could be thought of as the cinematic equivalent of Archie's Sonic Universe if it happened, and in that light it might look good, but the problem is four-issue story arcs of comic books and cinematic productions are such radically different things. Not only is the latter way shorter, but it's obviously not as big an event and thus doesn't need to be a big, huge story.

And financially speaking the idea of a Sonic Cinematic Universe is just unspeakably dumb, to be honest. There's absolutely no reason to make a movie about side characters from a video game series when you could be making a movie about a vastly more profitable IP, or just making up a new one. People who aren't big into Sonic or video games aren't going to even have a clue who these guys are. And unlike superheroes, it's not the kind of thing you can just "jump into" because without the context, the characters don't make much sense. I mean, if you didn't have the overarching context of the Sonic series, you can't even understand why characters like a red echidna who guards a huge gem or a brooding hedgehog created to be the ultimate life form or a white naive hedgehog from da future should even exist.

(Ironically enough, I can actually imagine the Chaotix being a bit more feasible to make a movie out of. I mean, "wacky group of bumbling animal detectives" actually sounds like a perfectly workable premise for an average kid's movie. But if you tried to still keep them tied to Sonic, it would probably still cause confusion and be off-putting.)

• Thumbs Up 6

And financially speaking the idea of a Sonic Cinematic Universe is just unspeakably dumb, to be honest. There's absolutely no reason to make a movie about side characters from a video game series when you could be making a movie about a vastly more profitable IP, or just making up a new one. People who aren't big into Sonic or video games aren't going to even have a clue who these guys are. And unlike superheroes, it's not the kind of thing you can just "jump into" because without the context, the characters don't make much sense. I mean, if you didn't have the overarching context of the Sonic series, you can't even understand why characters like a red echidna who guards a huge gem or a brooding hedgehog created to be the ultimate life form or a white naive hedgehog from da future should even exist.

Isn't this movie's job to introduce non-fans to the overarching Sonic Universe before going in with the 1-character movies ?

Will the movie really be able to develop the side characters so well that non-fans will be interested in seeing entire movies about them?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm pretty sure we're jumping the gun over here, we hardly even know squat about this movie and I'm pretty sure Van's just kidding about the cinematic universe thing. I'd rather wait for the actual movie to come first and see what happens from there on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just to clarify on my end, I wasn't intending to be jumping the gun or anything with my previous post. I'm well aware that it wouldn't work in practice in the context of how Marvel does things, and that Van was probably joking in the first place. It's just something I'd personally love to see on the big screen and I would not be opposed to it whatsoever if they were to one day say "Hey, we're doing this."

Obviously, this upcoming film is the focus and that's even if it ends up being good and/or profitable. In the meantime I don't see the problem with a little "what if" thinking, regardless of how ridiculous it is.

He was flaunting his Sonic collection over Twitter or something fairly shortly after it was known he was working on this, for what it's worth. Lemme see if I can look back for it...

EDIT: found it.

Edited by Blacklightning

a Sonic Cinematic Universe.  Just think of the possibilities.  EVERY part of Sonic's dichotomy to be included in a string of movies.  The games, the TV shows, the comics, original ideas for the movies.  Archie, Fleetway, Aosth, SatAM, Underground, X, OVA, Boom, classic games, next gen games.  EVERYTHING will be a NICE pastiche that encompasses all of Sonic's lore. 

Edited by a knothole resident

I'm not gonna ask for much regarding this movie. All I want is a good plot, good action, good characterization, great visuals, and the main five (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Eggman).

Just give me that, and I'll be happy.

Also I recall Van saying that the Sonic movie won't be like "X character goes to the real world and meet celebrity co-star and wacky hijinx commence". 

Really, he said that? Can you a link?

He said it in this very topic actually. But I'll try to pull it up.

Here we go.

I think people who are worried this will be Alvin, Smurfs, Garfield are going to be very pleasantly surprised. 

And here's the link to that post as well. 

Edited by Puli Soni

... ... so how the hell can it be a live action/cg hybrid then?

Oh wait... it's gonna be a Paddington thing isn't it?  Were Sonic and Co exist in our world and it's normal.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, this has been on my mind for a while now:

With that whole "two worlds" thing that the Sonic series has going on now, I just can't help but ponder over if they'll use that to justify the CG/Live Action approach for this movie's setting. At this point, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did do that.

• 2 weeks later...

this is a question for van. the movie is live action, so will there be humans in this or will it be a live action world filled with cgi animals?

Edited by Myst