Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Like, we know nothing.

We know that AoSTH, while fun, has nothing to do with anything.

We know that thoughts on SatAM are extremely polarized

We know that Underground was shit.

We know that X was shit.

And it's looking like Boom is going to be crap too.

Why should I be expecting anything different?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 1

Whether it turns out bad or good in the end, at this point in time the suggestion that it might actually happen is incredibly exciting to me either way, because I like Sonic :P 

I already mentioned the OVA earlier and completely forgot Night of the Werehog exists. Night of the Werehog is based off already existing material though. (I personally didn't care for it, but I'm in the minority on that).

I'm saying Sonic doesn't particularly have a great track record in this type of thing. Fuck me for being skeptical.

• Thumbs Up 1

I promise to you that the moment I see something that resembles the Marza animations, my opinion will go in the total opposite direction.

And yes, I know we have to take into consideration other companies and their practices, but there's one thing telling of all of those things from before: when Sega outsources their content, they're very sloppy and generally uncaring about how they handle their brand. OVA was good because Naka and Oshima oversaw that project, and Night of the Werehog was good because Marza was a function of Sega's.

There's good reason to be worried. If this is a joint project between Sony Pictures and Marza though, I'd have a lot more faith in it, but if it's just Sony then.. well, yeah.

• Thumbs Up 7

I wouldn't even put my faith in SEGA at this point, since apparently IIRC Iizuka was directly involved with Sonic Boom and that kinda looks like utter shit sooooo.........

I already mentioned the OVA earlier and completely forgot Night of the Werehog exists. Night of the Werehog is based off already existing material though. (I personally didn't care for it, but I'm in the minority on that).

I'm saying Sonic doesn't particularly have a great track record in this type of thing. Fuck me for being skeptical.

Every Sonic show is based off of existing material by way of being based on a game series. The fact that NotW was a direct tie-in has little to do with anything or its quality. General consensus is that it's good.

And Sonic's track record for television animation cannot be realistically applied to a Hollywood film because those shows are both A.) Irrelevant, and B.) Not films coming from a big-budget animation studio. At best, you might be able to get away with saying Sega might meddle too much and thus sink the film, but even that falls a bit flat when you look at the creative freedom given to Graff and Pontac on Lost World's writing as well as the character designs on Sonic Boom. We don't know how this era is going to turn out and you guys are shitting on what is basically the mere idea of a film based on old-ass attempts from television-based studios under different duress. Might as well have made the argument during Lost World's hype that it was going to be an unmitigated disaster of E.T proportions because, well fuck, Sonic 06 was.

And yes, I know we have to take into consideration other companies and their practices, but there's one thing telling of all of those things from before: when Sega outsources their content, they're very sloppy and generally uncaring about how they handle their brand. OVA was good because Naka and Oshima oversaw that project, and Night of the Werehog was good because Marza was a function of Sega's.

That doesn't fly much with Sonic X though. Yuji Naka is credited as the executive producer of the show, which basically means he oversaw every creative direction the director wanted and decided whether or not to go ahead and fund that. Sonic Team also got a credit for the concept of the show itself, which I don't think holds for things like AoStH and SatAM. So how do you explain how X came out so grossly inconsistent if we know that Sega was involved in the production to some degree? Just an off-day? 8P;;

Edited by Nepen-The Other Reindeer
  • Thumbs Up 3

That's true. Then again, OVA was a bit distant from what Sonic was too but it at least was done well.

Really with all that plus Iizuka wanting to stand behind Sonic Boom really bothers me and is probably a more worrisome issue as well. Because the creators are willing to let that kind of stuff slide, who knows what they'll let slide for a motion picture.

And yes, I know, standards about what goes into a film is different than what goes into a show, but this all just seems like a big ploy to make a movie that gets a 'cartoon adaptation' like all of Dreamworks' stuff, Jimmy Neutron / Barnyard, etc.

There's a slim-to-none chance this has anything to do with SatAM or Boom or the current writing team.  I figure that there are really only two possibilities: On the one hand, coming from an outsider's perspective might result in an actually quite satisfying but potentially mediocre distillation of everything the well-known classic games are about... but on the other, it could be basically nothing to do with Sonic due to audience accessibility demanding fresh material tailored for the movie crowd.  Actually, if the latter, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up looking a little like Sonic Adventure, which basically did the same thing.

There's probably good enough ground for expecting it to be terrible, but that's largely because most adaptations, not to mention most movies, are terrible.

IMO, until we know more, my opinions towards this movie are neutral.

I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't be bothered if the producers mentioned it's based of Sonic Boom. We only have a measly picture of it but it already looks so, so wrong.

And despite some people's opinions, I'd actually dislike the idea of it being based around Archie/SatAM. Archie is not exactly the best comic in storytelling and we don't need more pampering for the Classic Sonic fans. They have more than enough.

and we don't need more pampering for the Classic Sonic fans. They have more than enough.

Sir, you win one internets.

Thing is though guys, this hasn't even been confirmed yet, we even don't know what Sonic Boom will be like yet, it could be good. Even if this is real, there's a chance that it might not be based off Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, to play devil's advocate for a moment, as everyone keeps talking about the OVA, it's only decent and fondly remembered by fans because it didn't overstay its welcome, and at one time was pretty much a "holy grail" because it wasn't available outside of Japan until years after its initial release. Had it gone to series, and lasted for at least a few seasons (or whatever the equivalent in Japanese television is--let's just say the same run as Sonic X) and gotten the kind of treatment most anime in the West during the 90s got (like the dub treatment of Dragon Ball Z), people would all probably talk about how lousy it is just like they do with Sonic X. Instead of bitching about Chris and all the unimportant side characters and sloppy writing to force game stories into that universe, there'd be bitching about Sarah, the President, the Owl, Eggman's disturbing lust for Sarah, and whatever else that'd be a recurring element in a series based on the OVA. You can argue that maybe the writing would actually be good, but nobody knows that. Sonic X was overseen by Sonic Team and we all know what the general consensus for that is.

The OVA isn't "greatness" by any stretch of the imagination, it's only slightly better than every other attempt to bring Sonic to animated form because it's only two episodes and is never seen again. Hell, SEGA of Japan seems to ignore it. It hasn't had a proper DVD release, in its original format (not ADV's half-assed, spliced together version) in its home country, and that's likely due to the sales of the original tapes being fairly abysmal (in Japan--it seemed to do well enough in the US for ADV to do at least one re-release before de-listing it altogether).

I still like the OVA for what it was, but the more I think about it, I don't think it's what I'd want out of a Sonic cartoon series or anything else.

As for a potential film...? I dunno, is there a high enough demand for that kind of thing? Despite Sonic's popularity, it still seems like a very niche thing. And Sonic's image, despite SEGA's best efforts to clean it up, is still a joke to the general public. Despite how much better things have been in the last six years or so, people still point fingers at '06 as for why Sonic sucks. I really don't see things improving well enough in the eyes of the public (our opinions really don't matter--we're going to support the franchise anyway) for SEGA to even move forward on this.

I could be wrong, of course, but the idea of SEGA even releasing a theatrical Sonic film seems just a little too lofty. Even if the writing is top-notch and is a hit with the fans, the rest of the general public won't give a damn (they aren't going to see what we see). I'm also not certain you can look at Wreck-it Ralph's success to gauge the success of a potential Sonic--or any film based on a video game--movie, especially since Wreck-it Ralph is less about video games, and more about just using that particular world to tell a story, much like how Roger Rabbit used a "Toon World" where all cartoon characters gather and live as a setting for a story. And besides, "video game films" don't have a particularly great track record to begin with.

I'd like to be optimistic about the possibilities of such a thing, but I currently have doubts it'll get off the ground. I don't even care enough to speculate content at this point since we literally don't know anything about this supposed film. It could be as well written and done as Unleashed and Black Knight for all I care, but my concerns would remain the same. "Sonic Boom" has a higher chance of success right now, but it's a TV show with a lower budget and has more possibilities for being its own franchise within the larger Sonic franchise (provided Cartoon Network don't screw it over completely).

Sir, you win one internets.

Why thank you kind sir.

But yeah, there's still a chance Sonic Boom is good. I mean, we don't really know much about it, save the character silhouettes look ridiculous. And if they do make the movie based of Sonic Boom, we'd have to wait until we see how the cartoon comes along.

Hi, you must be new here.

We don't know if this is the real deal, trademark hogging or just something merely being talked about. But as Noel said, lots of people aren't too trusting of SEGA's decision making. I'd love to see a Sonic movie, just as much as I've been saying I wanted a new TV series for a long. And then Sonic Boom got announced a little while ago. While we may not know much about it yet, everything we do know so far doesn't sit right with me. It wouldn't be too out there to assume that a Sonic movie made now would be heavily influenced by or even based on Boom. And even if not, we don't know what of the quality.

I dunno. I've been burned too many times by SEGA. Guilty 'til proved innocent. Still though, I am interested in seeing what becomes of this.

We know that AoSTH, while fun, has nothing to do with anything.

We know that thoughts on SatAM are extremely polarized

We know that Underground was shit.

We know that X was shit.

And it's looking like Boom is going to be crap too.

Why should I be expecting anything different?

Agreed with both, and on top of this I'd also like to note that the track record of video game film adaptations are usually....

220px-Mortal_kombat_annihilation.jpg  220px-Lara_Croft_film.jpg    Supermariobros.jpg     220px-Double_Dragon_1994_movie_poster.jp   215px-StreetFighterMoviePoster.jpg220px-Houseofthedeadposter.jpg

220px-Doom_movie_poster.jpg  215px-Residentevil.jpg220px-Alone_in_the_Dark_2005.jpg

220px-BloodRayne_Film_Poster.jpg  215px-Postalposter07.jpg220px-Far_cry_poster.jpg

Silenthill3Dposter.jpg    220px-Wing_commander_post.jpg  220px-In_the_Name_of_the_King_-_theatric

...a load of top-tier ass. Some adaptations are usually (considered to be) of higher quality than others, usually for being (perceived as) so bad it's good, but aside from the one not-video-game-based exception that is Wreck-It Ralph, no Hollywood-produced videogame film is usually considered "great," let alone "good" or even "decent" by most.

Not to mention we already got a fanmade attempt at a feature film adaptation by a fellow Sonic (SatAM to be more accurate) fan, and that was, quite simply put, a hot mess.

Personally I thought the fact that Sonic has not been adapted (yet) into a Hollywood film adaptation has been one the franchise's few but rare blessings.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well I don't know, personally I'm all for it if it doesn't add any stupid human character like Chris or that one blond girl that Sonic seems to have got a crush on in Sonic X. If it's Sonic + crew with Eggman and stuff like that with absolutely no human, then consider me excited.

Now if they have humans, Idris Elba and Morgan Freeman better be in it. 

And Bruce Willis to teach Sonic how to Die Hard with a Vengeance. 

Well I don't know, personally I'm all for it if it doesn't add any stupid human character like Chris or that one blond girl that Sonic seems to have got a crush on in Sonic X. If it's Sonic + crew with Eggman and stuff like that with absolutely no human, then consider me excited.

Now if they have humans, Idris Elba and Morgan Freeman better be in it. 

And Bruce Willis to teach Sonic how to Die Hard with a Vengeance. 

Oh God please tell me the last two lines of text were a joke.

If there are humans in Sonic Boom/that Sonic movie, I hope they're like the humans from Unleashed, since their designs match with the surreal cartoony look of the main cast.

Then again SEGA currently likes to make Sonic and friends live in a barren land with them as the sole inhabitants. Screw NPCs I guess.

How the hell does the fanbase find out this information so quickly?!

75b.png

That, my dear, is a secret.

Nah just kidding, I'm just as surprised as you are. I wonder how OP managed to notice the 3 new hoarded URLs...

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh God please tell me the last two lines of text were a joke.

Are you doubting the amazingness of Idris Elba and Morgan Freeman.

• Thumbs Up 4

...Eh, I'm indifferent honestly.

On one hand, I'm really glad that we're getting some sort of Sonic movie because hey, it's a Sonic movie. On the other hand, seeing as how Lizuka was cooperating with the creators of Sonic Boom to keep it "true to the series" and how that one silhouette is enough to show that it's not necessarily true, I can't help but be a bit anxious about this.

I don't see why we're being too optimistic or pessimistic about this already, we have literally no information to work with here. Hell, we don't even know if this is real or not. Assuming it is, I'd personally like to see some sort of expansion on the Night of the Werehog style. It wasn't exactly like Unleashed's opening and ending CGI, but it still had that cartoony & gorgeous feeling to it. If we could get CGI in the exact style of the Unleashed opening & ending though...

amy-big-bang-theory-yes-please.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

Are you doubting the amazingness of Idris Elba and Morgan Freeman.

No, but unless Doctor Eggman plans to utilize the Aether or SEGA is planning to do Sonic Almighty I don't see how they'll fit in e.e

No, but unless Doctor Eggman plans to utilize the Aether or SEGA is planning to do Sonic Almighty I don't see how they'll fit in e.e

It's Morgan Freeman, there's your explanation.

No seriously, if this is a CG movie (which I presume it is) then as long as they keep the videogame voice actors I'll be fine with it. 

No seriously, if this is a CG movie (which I presume it is) then as long as they keep the videogame voice actors I'll be fine with it.

Considering how crazy this franchise gets every time recasts happen? Yeah, I don't think the current cast is budging. What would likely happen, if they use celebrity voices at all (haha "if"), they'd be voicing a new character; either an antagonist, a new ally for Sonic, or, heaven forbid, an audience surrogate who doubles as a new ally for Sonic *shiver*.

EDIT: The more I think about it, this would actually make me excited for a film based on Archie's comic right now. With a new universe, and the characters effectively rebooted, why the hell not? We get the main Sonic cast and they get to keep their voice actors, and then some key celebrities (much as I hate the idea of animated films using celebrity voices, I understand why they're used) to fill in other roles. Of course, the issue could then turn to those other characters overshadowing Sonic because, dammit, they used celebrity voice actors and they need screen time because obviously they're the actors people want to hear in these films. rolleyes.gif

OK, I sort of understand why people wouldn't want this now.

If they were going to use celebrity VA's Tara Strong has to be tails Jim Carrey has to be eggman and orbot and Tom Kenny has to be cubot

• Thumbs Up 2

...I really don't know what to think of this. I mean, on one hand, it could be amazing, and possibly with Unleashed-quality CG. On the other hand, well...I think a lot of people here have described the other end of the spectrum pretty well.

Anyway, I think I'm going to wait a while before I reserve a ticket to the hype train.