Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Yes, and he's been able to properly roll. In Sonic 4, in Colors, even in Lost World. That has not changed. He's been able to roll into a ball. You can still Spin Dash, homing attack, all these moves that have been in the franchise's game style for years.

You know as well as I do that you're oversimplifying this again. Why else do you think I featured the words "physics-based" so prominently earlier in the quote?

Okay, but look - the original post was meant more as a clarification than anything else, and that's because it's not actually the subject of discussion here. As much as I'd love to continue arguing about this, unless you can re-frame it in the context of the movie we're going to have to agree to disagree.

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 3:06 PM, Inspector Gabe said:

Long post

This. When I think of a live action/CGI hybrid film I think of all the crappy ones done in Hollywood. Know what makes Paddington different from the rest? It was so enjoyable because it was made in Europe, by Studio Canal! They obviously know how to treat this much loved character with respect. Because the Sonic movie is made by Sony Pictures, I'm dreading that it's going to be more like the American ones than the charming British one. 

And yeah, that Sonic fan film is what I also think of when I hear live action/CGI. At least Sonic and co. will be animated by Marza, so we won't get Fingers the echidna and furry Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Gabz Girl said:

This. When I think of a live action/CGI hybrid film I think of all the crappy ones done in Hollywood. Know what makes Paddington different from the rest? It was so enjoyable because it was filmed in Europe, by Europe! Studio Canal. They obviously know how to treat this much loved character with respect. Because the Sonic movie is made by Sony Pictures, I'm dreading that it's going to be more like those American ones than the charming British one. 

And yeah, that Sonic fan film is what I also think of when I hear live action/CGI. At least Sonic and co. will be animated by Marza, so we won't get Fingers the echidna and furry Sonic.

I'd say it's not so much it was filmed in Europe (though I wouldn't disagree that it wasn't a factor in the film's strengths) than it was that the studio and production crew involved were keen on being respectful to the source material. Which is far more than I can say compared to most of the Hollywood adaptations I've listed. As people have pointed out, it's possible, but as I previously mentioned, they're very very scarce in contrast to what the usual outcome is.

Is there any chance this could actually be a Sonic Boom movie? I mean, instead of using the main brand for something like this, doesn't it seem more appropriate for the Boom side of the franchise to cover this sort of ground?

2 minutes ago, monkokaio said:

Is there any chance this could actually be a Sonic Boom movie? I mean, instead of using the main brand for something like this, doesn't it seem more appropriate for the Boom side of the franchise to cover this sort of ground?

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/sonic-movie-not-based-on-boom/

Thought you might wanna see this.

This thread needs some sort of summary like in the 25th anniversary topic. Preferably on the first post. Maybe we can contact Hogfather?

If they get celebrities to voice the characters, who do you guys think they will cast? I could see Chris Pratt as Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Still have confidence in Sony?  Heres their latest cinematic masterwork! 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, a knothole resident said:

Uhhhhhh

unless we know Seth Rogen plays some part in the Sonic movie's development we can't really compare it. XD;;

7 hours ago, a knothole resident said:

By this logic we could say that all Sonic movies will be terrible because this got made.

• Thumbs Up 9

The bad thing is, even with the script being leaked and knowing all of the awful, racist terribleness that's been found within, I still have more faith and interest in Sausage Party than I do this Sonic film, and that's simply because I can't get over the live-action/CGI angle. Sausage Party was at least able to get the medium right.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thankfully, Marza is handling the CGI parts and not Sony. Well, Sony Pictures Animation, anyway. The first minute and a half of this review describes SPA perfectly. He goes into more detail AFTER the review. 

Edited by Operationgamer17
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't feel like watching that video right now, but for what it's worth, I liked Surf's Up.

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I don't feel like watching that video right now, but for what it's worth, I liked Surf's Up.

It's not that he didn't like it (he did). It's how he described them in the first minute and a half. He also gave some more info about them after the review ends. 

I don't get why that video was pulled out as a reason for why it's a blessing that SPA isn't handling the animation when the guy praises the animation, and the overall film as a whole...............................

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

I don't get why that video was pulled out as a reason for why it's a blessing that SPA isn't handling the animation when the guy praises the animation, and the overall film as a whole...............................

Read my last post. 

On 2/21/2016 at 9:52 AM, Johnny Boy said:

If they get celebrities to voice the characters, who do you guys think they will cast? I could see Chris Pratt as Sonic.

They'll probably just stick to using the cast from the games. Hiring celebs for the movie exclusive characters seems plausible but is there really any good reason to get an all new cast? Should they decide to do so, I'm casting my vote for Snoop Dawg/Lion/Dragon/whatever the fuck he goes by these days as the role of & Knuckles.