Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

So other than Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs... which I actually liked.

Are there any other annimations Sony pics have done?

Guys, I hope Elise is in this!

Hey guys.

What if….what if….the extreme unlikelihood aside…

The rumoured Sonic film…

Was based on Archie/SatAM?

My reaction if it was?

outtaheregif.gif

I'd honestly take that over what the games have become.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nzxRoIX4QU

It was question number 1.

Edit:

"We do believe that at some point in the future, a Sonic movie will become a reality"

The only time Sonic-related media has gotten the concept remotely right was the Sonic OVA.

The thought that a Sonic movie could be made right is something I can't believe still exists.

If this ends up being a thing, I'm not going keep my hopes high, let alone have any at all.

• Thumbs Up 8

Was based on Archie/SatAM?

I don't know much about those, but I think if I had to choose between that and Buffles the Echidna (a la Sonic Boom), I'd go with Archie/SatAM.

As much as I like SatAM/Archie, I wouldn't want this movie (or any other movies, honestly) to be based around that continuity. 

I wonder what this movie would be like? Would it be one that cover some of the Sonic games in greater detail? A tie-in into the newest Sonic Boom TV show? Maybe just an overall new story adventure starring Sonic and some of his friends? 

So many questions, so little answers...

• Thumbs Up 1

So other than Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs... which I actually liked.

Are there any other annimations Sony pics have done?

As far as full-blown CGI animated features outside of the Cloudy series, Sony has produced: Open Season, Surf's Up, Authur Christmas, Pirates: Band of Misfits (in co-op with Aardman), and Hotel Transylvania.

That's not a bad record by any means, but honestly if this is true, I'd rather it be given to DreamWorks who have become an animation great in their own right and also don't care about nabbing up IPs to produce films anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly I would say that I would personaly think some SATAM elements, like the freedom fighters with their current personalities and developments would make a good addition to a Sonic movie, I mean it seems kinda odd in the games how sonic and tails are the ONLY ones really oppossing eggman, and while Knuckles and Amy can be helpful a team that is devoted to stopping eggman and helping sonic make sense

Aren't Sony Pictures (Animation Studios?) making a Ratchet and Clank movie as well? What if this Sonic movie is like that?

Sony isn't making the Ratchet and Clank movie. It's just being distributed by them. The movie itself is being made by Blockade Entertainment and Rainmaker Entertainment with help from Insomniac themselves and the game series' writer TJ Fixman. Blockade Entertainment is also doing the Heavenly Sword film coming out in 2014.

The problem with stuff like this, whether it's games based on movies or vice versa, is that its existence is usually a cash-in rather than an inspired idea, so the quality suffers. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I can't help but be wary of this. Also, didn't Sony do Stuart Little 3? That sucked ass, IIRC.

I really really want this to be good if it does become a thing, something I can genuinely say that I enjoyed with no "but"s or "however"s. But I'm going to remain cautiously neutral until there's more information.

Edited by Frogging101

I didn't even consider Dreamworks. Please, PLEASE let them do it. They're one of the few I can see doing a great job.

Also, didn't Sony do Stuart Little 3? That sucked ass, IIRC.

Not only was Stuart Little 3 not a product of Sony's actual animation studio, which would be the one doing the Sonic film, but it wasn't a product of any of their studios: they merely distributed it.

Regardless though, no matter what studio you'd like to have made a film, remember they have made at least one bad film in their lifetime. All of them. Thus it's not that great an argument against their abilities to pull that bad egg out of the backlog.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not only was Stuart Little 3 not a product of Sony's actual animation studio, which would be the one doing the Sonic film, but it wasn't a product of any of their studios: they merely distributed it.

Regardless though, no matter what studio you'd like to have made a film, remember they have made at least one bad film in their lifetime. All of them. Thus it's not that great an argument against their abilities to pull that bad egg out of the backlog.

Okay, I wasn't sure who did it, I just remember seeing Sony's logo on it when I watched it some years ago. Thanks for clearing that up.

To be completely honest, animation similar to Cloudy on the game-designs (all that expressiveness and noodly movement) would be amazing, and I'd only hope that it'd be like that.

I have almost no hopes though. Gotta see something for proof of anything good, but I wonder how far away that really is.

• Thumbs Up 5

I am positive this will be CGI. Wreck-It Ralph was a good movie and was CGI, while Ratchet is promising because the creative team is closely involved and it is using the same medium as the original games. I think we can conclude that the ultimate reason video game movies tend to suck is they're adapted to the real world rather than staying in their own world and being animated.

I am boarding the hype train. Through some form or another, Sony's pushing what looks like three films (Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, Last of Us), so this would be perfectly fitting that they'd work to get non-Sony brands as well.

This really is looking like the PS2 generation all over again if Sony is really behind all these films in varying ways, but even grander as Sony expands its domination into the film industry. I'm guessing the ability to make use of in-game renders goes a long way towards cutting costs.

I'm not sure why people are assuming that this film is already awful when we know even less about it than we do even Sonic Boom- in fact, we don't even know if this film actually exists and isn't just trademark-hogging. I'm not asking for undying optimism, but rather I'm wondering what the basis for people taking the most cynical side is in the first place.

Like, we know nothing.

I've come to the conclusion a lot of folks aren't very trusting of SEGA's direction, both with Lost World and Sonic Boom, and so it makes sense this film isn't warmly received out of hand.

To be quite frank? It reminds me of the mentality of people who played Sonic 2006 and refuse to pick up any Sonic game after it because they had a bad experience.

I've come to the conclusion a lot of folks aren't very trusting of SEGA's direction, both with Lost World and Sonic Boom, and so it makes sense this film isn't warmly received out of hand.

To be quite frank? It reminds me of the mentality of people who played Sonic 2006 and refuse to pick up any Sonic game after it because they had a bad experience.

Playing 2006 and being put off of the franchise isn't a real great equivalent mentality when the only thing we've experienced is a trademark that may or may not mean anything. I'm not too fond of the franchise's new direction myself, but I can't really empathize with immediate revulsion to something we don't even know exists yet and-- even if we did-- something we know nothing about. If this thing is real, it could be like some amazing freakin' Sonic Adventure 1-esque story on steroids for all we know.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm not sure why people are assuming that this film is already awful when we know even less about it than we do even Sonic Boom- in fact, we don't even know if this film actually exists and isn't just trademark-hogging. I'm not asking for undying optimism, but rather I'm wondering what the basis for people taking the most cynical side is in the first place.

Like, we know nothing.

Hi, you must be new here.

We don't know if this is the real deal, trademark hogging or just something merely being talked about. But as Noel said, lots of people aren't too trusting of SEGA's decision making. I'd love to see a Sonic movie, just as much as I've been saying I wanted a new TV series for a long. And then Sonic Boom got announced a little while ago. While we may not know much about it yet, everything we do know so far doesn't sit right with me. It wouldn't be too out there to assume that a Sonic movie made now would be heavily influenced by or even based on Boom. And even if not, we don't know what of the quality.

I dunno. I've been burned too many times by SEGA. Guilty 'til proved innocent. Still though, I am interested in seeing what becomes of this.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm not sure why people are assuming that this film is already awful when we know even less about it than we do even Sonic Boom- in fact, we don't even know if this film actually exists and isn't just trademark-hogging. I'm not asking for undying optimism, but rather I'm wondering what the basis for people taking the most cynical side is in the first place.

Like, we know nothing.

I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but I guess I'm just scared on behalf of what Sonic Boom could be giving. And also because of the hasty decisions Sega / Sonic Team makes. I know the worst of the worst is pretty much gone, but you can't say this isn't somewhat justified.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meanwhile, I've never been particularly critical, unless something is just TOO stupid. I'm optimistic about Boom and I'm also optimistic about this... and despite the mixed rep of Lost World and Black Knight I love both titles.

I'm confident this movie is real despite the barebones evidence. They did say that 2014 was gonna be a big year for Sonic, didn't they? I wouldn't be surprised if we at least got some sort of preview that year. I doubt we'd see the film in 2014, but I could assume a late 2015/2016 date would be doable. I'd definitely roll with 2016 to give ample time and also so it lines up with the 25th anniversary.

That also increases the possibility of a Boom cartoon tie in, as well. It wouldn't be too outlandish - if the cartoon takes off a movie would be inevitable, as happens with every other animated series.

Don't base it off of comedy and I'm good, I'd like to see a comic adaption but games could do. do what ever you want as long as it dosen't suck.

I've been waiting for a Sonic movie since the day I became a Sonic fan. Whether it turns out to be great or horrible could go either way, I'll just wait and see to what approach they are taking with it. If they make the film relatively faithful to the games with a good voice cast, that's all I'm hoping for. Watching Unleashed's CG cutscenes really makes me think that Sonic has great potential for a film. I'll remain optimistic, it's obviously in the early stages of development, if the rumor is even true.