Awoo.

what do you think of Sonic the character?

Rey Skywalker-Ren

Game Sonic is awesome beans to me. My favourite incarnation of the character for reasons I've explained so many freaking times.

X Sonic is incredibly divisive to me due to some negative aspects to his character such as occasional selfishness but his good attributes still outweigh the bad ones and therefore that incarnation is mostly on the "love" side.

OVA Sonic is a fascinating take on the character, temperamental yet competent. That's pretty much the personality I always thought Sonic had in the Mega Drive games when I was a kid.

Fleetway Sonic is a douche who's jerkassery is an act because he thinks it gives off bravado and his alter ego Bob Beaky was cheerful and 'nice'. Ugh, he even let Tails think he was dead just so he could get a laugh out of his reaction! Not to mention the way he speaks to Tails and his other allies like shit so often.

SatAM Sonic is interesting but good God his 'tude is so overdone and cheesy and he was rather dense. One of the things I like about Sonic is that he's far from stupid. SatAM Sonic just seems to be incompetent to make Sally look better :/ Still, it was cool how he had some realistic emotion.

Archie Sonic? No....just no. Many of the times he's been written to be more 'realistic' than his game counterpart fail as far as I'm concerned.

• Thumbs Up 3

Archie Sonic? No....just no. Many of the times he's been written to be more 'realistic' than his game counterpart fail as far as I'm concerned.

I know Sonic has had some serious issues with how he's been written in the past, but I would very interested to know what's so wrong with the way Sonic is being written now?

As of the most recent issue I read he's rather similar to his current game persona, if a bit more action oriented (which makes sense considering the difference in mediums), so id like to know why he's such a huge departure.

I know Sonic has had some serious issues with how he's been written in the past, but I would very interested to know what's so wrong with the way Sonic is being written now?

I've yet to see a whole load of this new universe to see overall how well Sonic is being written currently. But I'll say that his reunion with Sir Charles was nothing short of heartwarming and gave me positive impressions and if Ian is cutting down on the copious misplaced romance then that can only be a good thing for the character.

I don't really think this rebooted universe will have drastic changes on how Ian writes the cast, these mandates I feel are exaggerated by fans in how much they castrate his style, and have supposedly been placed for a long while beforehand anyway. I just don't think Ian is that good at making character fueled stories. He's an action focused guy and most attempts he makes to spotlight a character's personality feel rather superficial or haphazardly done (par some of the villains). This is keeping in mind he is probably better at it than Penders and Bollers.

Sonic X Sonic I feel was rather bland, not so much a character but something of a one note Ace for Chris and the other characters to develop from. There were only a couple of episodes that really spotlighted a very developed character (eg. the cruise one).

Sonic: that blue anthropomorphic hedgehog with green eyes and red shoes that runs really fast-what do I think of him? I absolutely adore him! Not only is he my favorite video game character, Sonic is my favorite character of anything period. No other character in any other series comes close in regards to admiration that I have compared to Sonic. 

Despite his cool and calm attitude, no matter what the issue is, Sonic has always shown himself to be a hero with a big heart willing to help out anyone in need and having no tolerance for evil. This is shown time and time again as Sonic aims to stop Dr. Eggman or whoever the villain may be in the games. So it truly delights me to see this awesome character doing his thing and be able to play as him in video games.

The games over the years have displayed a multitude of Sonic's excellent qualities in fine characterization, such as: being unselfish in thinking about others ahead of himself, even at his own risk and even doing so when he is suffering, his protective nature, always seeking to turn a negative into a positive, always seeking to cheer others up and even comfort someone when they are sad or distressed, is brave, daring, talkative, playful, energetic, animated and humorous, being loyal to his best friend Tails...and these are just some of the fine qualities that Sonic has. If anything has caused me to adore Sonic as much as I do, it's his awesome character. 

sonic-colours-cutscene.png

tl9Jfl1.png?1

Sonic being playful and protective is what I love the most about him as well as being selfless:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAo-q3_DULI

It is clearly obvious that Sonic is in a lot of pain and collapses, yet he refuses to let his guard down nor allow Shahra to worry about him or place the blame on herself for Sonic being struck with that flame. Sonic didn't want to show that he was in pain; therefore the half-hearted chuckle trying to cover it up, which he was trying to do so Shahra wouldn't worry about him. This selfless attitude of Sonic deeply impressed me, as the last person he was thinking about was himself, even though Sonic was clearly suffering.

Also notable is how Sonic changed the situation quickly from negative to a positive to cheer Shahra up, even apologizing after he collapsed and at the same time worrying Shahra. This is all something a good friend would do and Sonic demonstrated that here and throughout the game as he always does.

I thought Sonic saying "It's gonna take more than some tiny flame to bring judgment down on me!" was a pretty convincing line that he was okay and still the same ol' Sonic amid all the pain he was in. Despite the fact that he was suffering, Sonic was optimistic. He usually is no matter what! He never gives up nor allows anything to get him down. This cutscene really showed me among many other times that Sonic has a lot of heart and is truly a hero.

All moments of fine characterization aside in the Sonic series, this moment here from Sonic and the Secret Rings really had more of a positive impact on me regarding Sonic's character than anything else. smile.png

That doesn't mean that Sonic isn't without flaws. He's overconfident, stubborn, impatient and obnoxious among others, and more times than none these qualities tend to get him in trouble as well as cause problems for others. Sonic being flawed has caused some interesting consequences to come about, and overall the flaws help give Sonic a balanced personality. Makes him more realistic as well, I think.

Sonic's personality is one of the first things that I noticed when I got into Sonic some 22 years ago, and it is definitely one of the first things I noticed again after a 15 year hiatus from Sonic upon my return. I've mentioned this a ton of times already but in case you are unaware of and wondering how and why that happened, if you haven't read it already.

Overall, Sonic is awesome and full of character, and I adore him very much. Despite the fact that I am turning 30 years old in a few weeks from now, my admiration will not diminish for Sonic then, nor will it happen anytime soon. happy.png

Basically this.

He's an adorable cocky little son of a gun, I love this character :D

Always liked his particular brand of proud composure, the way he holds himself, he exudes the kind of showmanship and grace that goes hand in hand with arrogance. With the exception of Colours(and non-game portrayals) he doesn't even brag that much, Sonic treats his awesomeness as obvious, not a newsflash.

Of course he's brave and heroic,  he has to put up with a lot of crap trying to save the world and it gets worse than he lets on, he keeps calm and carries on.

• Thumbs Up 2

This picture:

8KnpVGH.jpg

because it shows them having fun and Sonic is playful, caring but reckless guy. I think Sonic's look is cute but his personality and smile makes him even more cuter to me. Because of how close he is with Tails and how he cares about him and Knuckles (even though he calls him kucklehead). Sonic cares about everyone but he's reckless but I find that cute and awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

Before I fill 5 paragraphs with my answer, I'll just say that he is to me, the perfect character if not the perfect being. Even his flaws are amazing. He's impossibly powerful, perfectly care free, matches many of my own personal ideals, there's nothing to not like! He's the best!

The above comment exists. Fact.

This picture:

8KnpVGH.jpg

because it shows them having fun and Sonic is playful, caring but reckless guy. I think Sonic's look is cute but his personality and smile makes him even more cuter to me. Because of how close he is with Tails and how he cares about him and Knuckles (even though he calls him kucklehead). Sonic cares about everyone but he's reckless but I find that cute and awesome.

You know, this is one of the more likable aspects of Archie!Sonic next to his funny and charming wit when it isn't obnoxious.

Another thing I also like about Game!Sonic?

The fact that he proves that being a largely irreverent, hyperactive, cocky little speedster is not exclusive with being obnoxiously bad-mannered or extremely 'unrefined' so to speak.

I mean when you get down to it, Sonic is actually pretty polite and has decent manners which is a bit interesting to see in a character like him. As I said before, he can be irreverent, a snarker and such but seeing the other side of the coin is interesting too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like Sonic the character both in the old and modern styles. He appeals to me as the cool guy, prepared to risk it all to help his friends, he can make rash decisions (as seen in Lost World) and can be cocky but his heart is always in the right place and most importantly, he always brings a smile to my face :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

I kinda like Games Sonic for having a very clear redeeming aspect to balance his ego, his good temperament. I know half the bios say otherwise, but I like how despite his hyperactiveness and tendency to show off, he's actually a very easy going guy. This was actually kept in check even in Lost Worlds, despite the pressure coming down on him, he doesn't really lose it and despite his clear frustration manages to keep his cool (his interrogation of Zor stands out as clear cut Tranquil Fury). He also attempts peace keeper between Eggman and Tails and tries to soothe the latter when he becomes hurt.

This element I feel really balances his character, maintaining a good nature to him that avoids him coming off as too obnoxious, compared to many other medias who make him aggressive on top of egotistical, prone to being more vindictive or throwing tantrums the moment he's no longer in full control (again, Satam and Archie). Sonic X Sonic was also tranquil, albeit to unemotive levels.

So if I was going to give my lowdown on what I think of Sonic's portrayals in games that elaborate on the character? You know, with speech and cutscenes? I'll note what stands-out in particular to me.

Sonic Adventure Sonic - Oddly irritable - Watch a lot of Sonic Adventures cutscenes and you'll often find that Sonic was actually easily irritated, like he really did have a short temper. Lines such as "Oh now what?" in response to Amy's surprise when she sees the floating tv screen outside Twinkle Park's entrance and what it says, "You won't get away with this you madman!" before Chaos 6, his throwing what appears to be a brief hissy-fit by jumping and whirling his arms around once he's gotten to his feet after faceplanting after jumping off the Egg Carrier in an effort to get Eggman who was fleeing. There's more examples than that but I don't recall seeing Sonic as irritable as he was in SA in games after SA.

Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic - Really cool - I always liked how Sonic was portrayed in SA2. Gotta love how he takes control of the situation then flips the bird at gravity in a single cutscene at the beginning of the Hero Side story. I do wish he had more interactions with Shadow but then when he did, the contrast was quite interesting.

Sonic Heroes Sonic - More cheesier than usual - Do I really need to explain this? Sonic's lines in this game were so often very cringeworthy. His in-level dialogue otherwise was charming. Characterization seemed low-key.

Shadow the Hedgehog Sonic - Exaggerated for no good reason -  Am I the only one who truly thought that Sonic was Flanderized into being a character that was more like an irritating little brother in comparison to Shadow's far more dead-set and serious demeanor? A character whose polar opposite personality traits from Shadow's were morphed from what they were in SA2 (Incorrupt, jovial, determined) into an overly cheerful Hedgie who, during ShTH, sounded like an immature fool who sounds like he broke into his local Don Fachio Hot Dog Restaurant, ate all the Chili Dogs in there and had a surge of hyperactivity as a result, culminating in behaviour seen in;

The cutscene before Black Bull; Jumping up and down shouting "Woo-hoo! Now you're talking! Bring it on!" whilst flexing his arms in mock punches.

The cutscene whilst he and Shadow are on board the Tornado Shuttle on the way to the ARK; Sighting the Black Arm bird things in space, "Time to Rock and Roll! You up for this Shadow?" and running off like a kid who has sighted the playground of his wildest dreams.

It's character exaggeration that takes Sonic's differences from Shadow and Flanderizes them in order to make Sonic an extreme contrast to Shadow instead of the far subtler one depicted in SA2. And It's certainly not my cup of tea.

SONIC 2006 - Boring non-entity - Good God was he boring in this game. And it's just....demeaning in a way how he was treated more like a plot device than a character with impetus and an endearing personality as well as Silver's bitch and then was killed in a truly ridiculous fashion. The only positively vibrant thing about Sonic in this game is his portrayal in the opening cutscene of his story. What the heck happened to him in the rest of the game!?

Sonic and the Secret Rings - Reflectiveness and modesty (Modesty is still apparent in SatBK Sonic) - Before SatSR, you'd be hard pushed to find times where Sonic was truly reflective, where he had Soliloquys. Sure he had a soliloquy in SA2 whilst he was figuring out how to escape his doom in the capsule but that was not a vocal portrayal of how Sonic thinks. In SatSR, you know that Sonic is aware of his impending death. You know that he has reservations about collecting the World Rings because he's doomed to die by sacrifice anyway if the Flame Arrow doesn't kill him first but as he's not in a better position, he collects them anyway, presumably hoping that Erazor will keep up his end of the deal and remove the arrow (As farfetched as that is).

Sonic collects the White Ring and Blue Ring and suddenly becomes very thoughtful, wondering about how the White ring's powers of wishes can either lead it's wielder into happiness or misfortune by negatively or positively affecting them through their own greed and/or ambition. The Blue ring makes him consider the true power of the rings due the sheer potency behind the emotions they bestow.

This kind of insightful thought processes of Sonic throughout SatSR brings a dimension to him previously unseen. And I'm all for it personally. Kid yourself as much as you want, Sonic has far more dimension than his love of speed and arrogance and SatSR brilliantly portrayed it through such things as his apparent regard for literature and his ability to, you know, kick back and doze in his house/Tails Workshop as well as his insistence on not being referred to by titles such as "Mr".

Sonic Unleashed - Contemplative - As far as i'm concerned, Sonic's flatness (If you can call it that) throughout SU was a result of Dark Gaia's influence. We know that Dark Gaia can't influence him to lose control in Werehog form due to pure heart and will power but I still believe that Dark Gaia still had influence on Sonic's behaviour, resulting in a more contemplative fellow who honestly seems to think before he opens his mouth. He comes off as a character who's actions and body language were often louder than words. His responses to certain NPC's were incredibly endearing and are a world apart from Chronicles' rubbish.

Sonic and the Black Knight - Compassion over/before Business - This was a trait similar to SU's Sonic except SU Sonic was getting business done at the same time as helping Chip regain his memory. SatBK Sonic placed his compassion before business. He had forsaken his chance at mastering Caliburn under Nimue's instruction by helping the small child and his/her relatives by saving them from the Earth Dragon instead. Overall a fantastic portrayal of the character because it really reflects his attitude and personality amazingly well but also his attitude to heroism.

Sonic Chronicles - Bipolar Hedgehog - And absolutely fucking terrible to boot.

Sonic through "positive" dialogue choices - Boring. Trite. Unexceptional. Not particularly Sonicky.

Sonic through Amy-revering dialogue choices - A guy so reverent of Amy you'd think he'd get on his knees any second and confess his undying love for her.

Sonic through snarky dialogue choices and even some neutral ones - A mean jerkass who has to put down others for the sake of his own ego, something that the Sonic in other games NEVER had to resort to or would never resort to.

Poor character was ruined not only by bad writing but the premise of wildly contrasting choices. Which was never a good idea for a character with an established personality. To me, this game is like a checklist on how not to write Sonic.

Sonic Colours - Safety over Ideology - I don't like some aspects of this portrayal but I'll give it it's dues. For instance, his interactions with Tails. Whilst I firmly believe that Sonic would poke fun at himself after he was caught talking to a dead robot instead of act genuinely embarrassed, Sonic in Colours could take a jibe in good nature and fire one back. His and Tails' interactions were that of blood-related brothers and Sonic placed Tails' safety above his own ideology, something I don't think I've seen him do before. And do I have to post these again as to why Sonic's Big Brother Instinct was so wonderfully rendered?

sonicprotective1.png

sonicprotective2.png

Note how the arm in front of Tails in the full motion cutscene never moves? It's a glorious yet subtle showing of Sonic's protectiveness that could be interpreted as even being something Sonic did subconciously. It annoys the hell out of me when it's said that Sonic pushed Tails into the elevator because he considered him "useless". What bullshit. Sonic did that to protect him, like any responsible older sibling would do. It shows how Sonic has a rational head on his shoulders given the situation they were in, you know, considering the park was being consumed by a black hole and Eggman was harassing them?

Sonic Generations - Bland - Sonic in this one came off practically as nothing-y as the narrative. Does nothing wrong but then doesn't really interesting with him either. And Classic Sonic's muteness was nothing more than silly pandering to warped interpretations. Which very much put a damper on particularly interesting usage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lost World. I was just suprised at how awesome they make my favorite character and showed the traits I like about him

- he can kick butt and look cute doing it
- hes funny
- hes confident
- he is caring about his friends and will put himself in harms way to save them
- he hates fighting and wants people to work together
- he has the moves of a graceful ninja (walk on walls)

I always liked Sonic being interpreted as a confident, goofy, laid-back guy. He likes adventuring and exploring the world, and he loves his friends and would do anything for them (even if he likes to be snarky and tease them).

He enjoys the simple things in life, the food, the people, the adrenaline rush of everything around him whizzing by, and the ability to express himself freely (and anything interfering with that gets him a little hot-headed). He'll do anything to keep the world from Eggman's grasp because it not only holds him back from what he loves but everyone else as well. He's got "that steadfast heart of gold", as his old theme song says.

These kind of things were the basic principles of his character that the classic games seemed to imply with all the motivational / philosophical Engrishy things written all the box artwork (and his Sonic Jam bio), plus the vibes I got from the OVA and SA games kind of reflect this (as well as Unleashed and the storybook games kinda-sorta). He's got an unbearably sassy goofball outer shell, but it's hard to hide just how much of a kindhearted and determined dude he really is.

And that interpretation of Sonic, to me, is insanely likable. -v-

It's why in some games I'm sorta bothered by Sonic treating stopping Eggman like not only as a game, but as his "job". It makes it sound like his only motive is to kick robot butts because Eggman's "the bad guy". It's flat and cheap, and is as 'cardboard cutout' as you can get when writing a snarky hero. Similarly, making Sonic this guy that has to move and be hyperactive just seems so predictable for a character that goes fast as his main ability. It actually adds nice depth IMO that being laid-back is how he is, and his personality isn't directly attached to his trait.

It is also kind of hard to pinpoint Sonic's personality nowadays anyway since every character's personality (minus Eggman pretty much) has staggered every which way into Flanderization, blandness and back. So I guess I'll stick to liking what I like, and all that fluffy duff.

Sonic the Hedgehog?

He's my favorite character in the whole series, even down to doing imitations of Ryan Drummond every minute of the month. Never the less, he's extremely awesome in the series as a whole (in all media) in my opinion. 

While he's a bit rude and (admittedly) prone of doing absolutely retarded things at times (nice going with the conch, Sonic), he is at least able to make it up by realizing his mistakes, and absolutely kicking ass (see Sonic Lost World) to save his friends and those who are in need, all while having a cool and calm personality. Of course, he has his limits to where he's probably ready to snap a Zeti's neck, or he's probably on drugs/or on his caffeine high (to put it in simpler words, extremely goofy), but I digress.

Incarnation of Sonic being my favorite, I can't decide. And, to get this out of the way: As for design terms, I can't decide, I love it all. For the record, I'd love for him to sport his Soaps again.

So, yeah, Sonic's my favorite character in the series.

I feel like the only person in the world that can't stand Sonic, he comes off as far too cocky and arrogant at times especially when confronting Eggman, treating him like he not much of a threat and boy does that get tiresome.

He also has a bad habit of acting before thinking, which is slightly irritating and just ends up biting him in the ass in the end.

Too put it one way, I've learned way too many life lessons from the Sonic series, Sonic in particular. I've always thought his personality is Awesome. He seems easy to get along and joke with and is almost Always looking on the bright side of whatever shitty situation he winds up in. And on top of being easy-going and likable, he selflessly helps his friends Whenever he needs to, which is something I can really admire. For a fictional character, he seems like one Hell of a guy. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Sonic, but sometimes, I want to strangle the guy. Like in Sonic the Lost World.... uuggg the guy is so concieded, cocky and arrogant that he can ruin things. And he tells bad jokes.... like seriously Sonic, IT'S NOT FUNNY!

And the way he teases Eggman like a high school bully and a high school kid..... uggggh

I've realized that most fans of Eggman seem to despise (or have as heavy apathy) for Sonic as the big man himself. :v

It's natural because Eggman is the villian.

It's also like most fans of Amy hate Sally or the other way around

Most fans of Blaze hate Silver.

Most fans of achie character Julie-Su don't really like Rouge.

So it's a pattern.

That doesn't make much sense as a pattern, at least. You can like the villain while liking the hero; Batman is interesting but the villains are what make that series worthwhile. And "taking sides" on liking characters over others kind of diminishes why you dislike them to begin with moreso to favoritism.

regardless I dislike Silver no matter how much I like Blaze

I liked Sonic more when he was still able to convey his emotions (or his "attitude" as Sega would promote it as in the 90s) without having a / using his voice. I don't really care much for the character nowadays.

Meh he's kinda generic. He's a default heroic youthful shonen type of guy. He doesn't really have an interesting character beyond being fast, a good guy and a cocky kid. You can sum him up as the ultimate "boy" fantasy basically. Because he is everything a boy represents.

Sonic Adventure 2, I think Sonic should have reminded Shadow of Mara. Im not saying it because hes my favorite but he actually is known for inspiring other characters to break out of their shell. That is one trait that makes him amazing. He inspires Amy and Tails and Knuckles to go on their adventures. He inspires Blaze to not be stubborn, he inspires Elise to get herself out of situations and he also inspires Sharhra to do what she thinks is right. If he can inspire those characters, then he could easily inspire Shadow. (aldo Amy was just a pretty decoration in the game)

Sonic Adventure 2, I think Sonic should have reminded Shadow of Mara. Im not saying it because hes my favorite but he actually is known for inspiring other characters to break out of their shell. That is one trait that makes him amazing. He inspires Amy and Tails and Knuckles to go on their adventures. He inspires Blaze to not be stubborn, he inspires Elise to get herself out of situations and he also inspires Sharhra to do what she thinks is right. If he can inspire those characters, then he could easily inspire Shadow. (aldo Amy was just a pretty decoration in the game)

I think that while Sonic has a good inspiration on those characters, he couldn't have had an effect on Shadow. His dynamic with him through the game was often hostile and they traded blows every time they met. Shadow was pretty arrogant in SA2 and having Sonic do the pep talk would have just backfired. =(

Edited by FourCartridge