Awoo.

Disney Channel's 'Descendants,' featuring teenage kids of classic villains

Nintendoga

What is this shit?

That scene is one of the worst in the movie. Not to mention it's downright confusing. What happens is, this scene takes place in a museum where all the good and evil stuff are held. Like the Rose from Beauty and the Beast and the Fairy Godmother's Magic Wand. The characters go there to get the wand, and end up finding on the upper floor there are these wax sculptures of their parents. They just look at them and leave scared, with Carlos De Vil saying "I'll never forget Mother's Day again". I was personally very confused seeing as there didn't seem to be a reason for them to be scared. Did they realise being bad is actually... bad? Like, what happened? Immediately after this, Mal starts singing and brings the wax figure to life.. but in the end it wasn't actually alive.. But they communicated... It was just super weird and made no sense at all. Also it was pointless since nothing in this scene was ever mentioned or had any impact on the story or characters at all. 

Edit: After looking at the ratings, views, and comments on YouTube... yup. Disney's rolling in cash already. As predicted, people love this movie and everything about it. 

Edited by ElectricAngel

Do you think that this movie would of benefited if it was animated?

If they kept everything and just had it animated? No way. It would've still been the same for me. It's true that I don't like live-action much, but for this movie I didn't hate the story and characters more because they weren't animated. In fact.. p-part of the reason I kept watching was because Mel and Jay were really cute. B-but cute actors and three good musical numbers is all this movie has going for it. They could've easily made the plot better, and there is potential. They go a bit into how the kids were treated badly from their parents and how all they know about is evil because of it. And the most interesting scenes were the ones where the kids were being taught that being good isn't as bad as they thought. The thing that stops this movie from being good is the characterization. I already mentioned Maleficent and the other villains, but there's this girl.. She's Prince Ben's girlfriend (forgot her name) and she was just a bitch to the main cast for no reason whatsoever. It really bugged me as she was supposed to be from the good guys, but I guess that was the point? I mean, she did get dumped and got dissed by Mel so.. yeah. 

But hey, at least this is the first movie where you get to see classic Disney villains using modern technology. Like Skype. :V :V :V 

rU3SqO6.pngUrISIHN.png

T-that's something.. right? 

Edit: After looking at the ratings, views, and comments on YouTube... yup. Disney's rolling in cash already. As predicted, people love this movie and everything about it. 

...Why.WHY? WHY?! 

To be honest, I wasn't really pissed off by the existence of it... After some of the disney DTV sequels and from what little of High School musical I've seen, I honestly expected this kind of stupidity to come out of the Disney Channel. I ended up watching the first act since the rest of the family was... it was as stupid as i was expecting, the plot, the premise, the songs, the attempts to appeal to the tweenage crowd (Seriously, the magic mirror they use might as well have been an iphone.) It was stupid, but I really wasn't all that pissed off tbh.

What I don't get, is the love and praise that it's getting. 

What I don't get, is the love and praise that it's getting. 

Well I mean, I am going off YouTube comments here. It's probably lots of people my age or younger. I feel SSMB was a bit overreacting when it was first revealed (even I was), though Disney wasn't doing a good job advertising it IMO. They made it seem like such a huge deal that these are the kids of classic Disney villains. If you watch the movie, from the second act and onwards it's barely important to the plot. They could've made new villains and princes/princesses and it would've worked the same. I just assume they used classic villains for nostalgic appeal. Though, when they downright ruin said characters, it kinda also ruins the point of having them there to begin with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

And for those who want to watch it on SSMB rather than going to Youtube

And for those who want to watch it on SSMB rather than going to Youtube

Oh....eugh. Thank god I lost interest in the movie and changed the channel before this point.

The comments section makes me want to facepalm. People are trying to defend this, and their defense? To show how things have changed since then, therefore everything has to sound modern.

Well, here's the thing: Modernizing classic things isn't always a good idea. I mean, it can be done well, but as shown with this...yeah, most of the time, it leads to bad results.

Huh. I must have bad taste in music, because I liked the song. The only bad part is the hip-hop part for me.

But hey, since we're sharing music, I might as well share my favourite tracks from the film.

This one's visual presentation is pretty lazy, considering they have a flashback montage thing. But the song is nice.

And then there's the final musical number.

Call me out for having bad taste but I think these songs are good. :Y

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh. I must have bad taste in music, because I liked the song. The only bad part is the hip-hop part for me.

But hey, since we're sharing music, I might as well share my favourite tracks from the film.

This one's visual presentation is pretty lazy, considering they have a flashback montage thing. But the song is nice.

And then there's the final musical number.

Call me out for having bad taste but I think these songs are good. :Y

While I don't really care for that second song (or the Be Our Guest  song), that first song you posted is actually really good.

Wow, that Rotten to the Core song has over 6.5+ million views on Youtube.

Do you think that this movie would of benefited if it was animated?

Not if the story, characterization, and writing quality was virtually unchanged.

Edited by Señor Gabe

If you watch the movie, from the second act and onwards it's barely important to the plot. They could've made new villains and princes/princesses and it would've worked the same. I just assume they used classic villains for nostalgic appeal. Though, when they downright ruin said characters, it kinda also ruins the point of having them there to begin with. 

This honestly strikes me as probably the best way they could've done it.  Maybe with a touch more self-awareness as to how silly and campy the presentation is, too.  The real discord is in the weird quasi-contemporary presentation of all these classic, usually historical characters - something which I think might have been... smoothed out, but not solved, by the animation suggestion above; actually, watching the "Evil Like Me" song, I kept on thinking of how much better it would look if animated.

Do you guys think that the movie would do better with the story, music, actors, and dancing if Disney Channel used the cast of Teen Beach Movie and Teen Beach 2 instead of other various Disney Channel actors?