Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

Hell no, that'd be even worse, especially since she's not Link. Hell, they even went through extra effort to make her more original looking so she doesn't look so much like a female Link anymore (and people STILL call her that anyway). Yeah, the concept art was essentially a female Link, and she still kinda is, but she looks more original now than she did before at least.

I assumed she was just a female Link, is she not? It makes sense to me anyway, Link is just a placeholder hero 'link' to the player. I honestly see no reason why Link can't be female. It's not like he's a developed character, he's just a stand-in.

Edited by Regen

But the thing is, Linkle is a developed character.

Linkle is her own character with her own back story and thing going on.  She's more then a "female link", she's a different character. I would actually be disappointed if she was simply a girl version of Link.

Edited by I'm Dan

I assumed she was just a female Link, is she not? It makes sense to me anyway, Link is just a placeholder hero 'link' to the player. I honestly see no reason why Link can't be female. It's not like he's a developed character, he's just a stand-in.

No. Although she was created with the intent of having that theme to her, in the original concept art they still planned on her being a separate character. Probably because you can't really have two characters named Link running around.

And especially now she's definitely not just a female Link. They heavily revamped her. I don't understand why they kept the name, but I guess its just because that's what people associated with her.

But the thing is, Linkle is a developed character.

Linkle is her own character with her own back story and thing going on.  She's more of a "female link", she's a different character. I would actually be disappointed if she was simply a girl version of Link.

I think you mean "more than" a "female Link", correct?

Which is true. I mean, she was always planned to be, even if the design and name basically screams "yeah, I'm a female version of Link," but in the original concept art they still planned on her being her own character, using the excuse of her being a "sister-like" character to Link.

In this game, she basically plays a similar role to Link, except her story is a side story and not part of the main one. And she is established as being a totally separate character.

Edited by JaidynReiman

Initially she was "just" a female Link, yeah, back when she was little more than a concept design for the original Hyrule Warriors - but even then, she was designed to be more of a sister-like character to Link rather than just being a gender swap. And now she's actually made it into Legends, she's been fleshed out into a fully-fledged character with her own side story and mythos. While the design similarities are undeniably similar and it remains to be seen whether she has any relation to the male Link, there's no doubting that she's very much her own person and her compass watch thingy is bound to hold a few secrets that we're yet to uncover.

Oh, and from what we can gleam from the cutscenes we've seen so far, she actually seems to talk - that's something the male Link would never, ever do :lol:

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't understand why they kept the name, but I guess its just because that's what people associated with her.

I think this was exactly it.  Linkle as she was shown off in the concept art was essentially a scrapped idea; if she had been in the original final game, she would have been different again.  But because she became popular as she was depicted in the concept art, her final version had to be recognisably similar to the concept version - and that applies especially to the name to unite the developed version to the concept version.

For my money, incidentally, an actual female Link should just be called Link.  Link's name is meant to signify his status as a stand-in for the player, and yet he's always had his own personal characteristics in each game - sometimes blonde and sometimes browner-haired, sometimes serious and sometimes goofy, sometimes old and sometimes young.  Altered gender, to my mind, would just be an extension of that - another personal detail of this particular Link which doesn't really matter in the grander scheme of things.

• Thumbs Up 2

In regards to Linkle's story, I think here's how its going to play out:

Linkle's story is stated to be a "behind-the-scenes" thing. It looks like on her way to Hyrule Castle, she gets caught up being sent back to the eras that had been saved previously in the main game and meeting up with new characters who weren't present originally (this could be where Groose comes in as well if he gets announced later; she's already seen going back to Lake Hylia and Palace of Twilight). Well, technically Midna was present, but not in her true form.

Meanwhile, Hyrule Castle is in danger. From what? And why aren't Link, Zelda, and Impa helping?

Well, that's because they're currently busy in the Wind Waker era. I think that makes the most sense; Linkle is doing something behind the scenes while the main heroes are trying to fight a new threat.

I am wondering if Twili Midna will join Linkle and if other unannounced characters will (I don't think Skull Kid will, I think he might be the antagonist, or perhaps Majora is).

After both Linkle's story and the Wind Waker arc (and maybe a Majora's Mask arc if that gets announced) are cleared, then the two stories merge for the Epilogue's final few chapters.

Just a theory anyway.

I think this was exactly it.  Linkle as she was shown off in the concept art was essentially a scrapped idea; if she had been in the original final game, she would have been different again.  But because she became popular as she was depicted in the concept art, her final version had to be recognisably similar to the concept version - and that applies especially to the name to unite the developed version to the concept version.

For my money, incidentally, an actual female Link should just be called Link.  Link's name is meant to signify his status as a stand-in for the player, and yet he's always had his own personal characteristics in each game - sometimes blonde and sometimes browner-haired, sometimes serious and sometimes goofy, sometimes old and sometimes young.  Altered gender, to my mind, would just be an extension of that - another personal detail of this particular Link which doesn't really matter in the grander scheme of things.

True, but its not going to happen. Link is too recognizable now. Changing his gender is too big of a change at this point. It'd be one thing if Link was ALWAYS customizable, but not anymore. Link's design should remain mostly consistent with minor differences from game-to-game (most of the differences stem from the art style more than anything). And it most likely will anyway.

Either way, Linkle isn't a female Link, she's just supposed to resemble one.

• Thumbs Up 1

, but its not going to happen. Link is too recognizable now. Changing his gender is too big of a change at this point. It'd be one thing if Link was ALWAYS customizable, but not anymore. Link's design should remain mostly consistent with minor differences from game-to-game (most of the differences stem from the art style more than anything). And it most likely will anyway.

I never really understoood this mindset. The things that make Link Link aren't really tied to his gender. His design has also changed in much more major ways than just making him a girl for a game or two. People aren't asking for customization. They're simply asking for the next hero to be a female. It's not as difficult or unreasonable as people make it out to be. His design changes in both major and minor ways all the time.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I think it'd be really easy for them to pull off having a girl Link. Especially considering in Triforce Heroes you can have your Links running around in Zelda's dress or a girl's cheerleading outfit without it being a big deal.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah, I think it'd be really easy for them to pull off having a girl Link. Especially considering in Triforce Heroes you can have your Links running around in Zelda's dress or a girl's cheerleading outfit without it being a big deal.

Wouldn't have been too hard to create a female Link in Triforce Heroes, either. Just change a couple small things about the model and voila! The game doesn't even have a very strict canon either and its debateable whether Link is even Link in that game (supposedly one of them is...)

Oh, wait...

I'll take what I can get for now. I still want a female protagonist for a Zelda game, but I'm glad Linkle came to fruition. She actually feels unique enough to where I don't think of her as "female Link," although that's a thing I do want in a main game someday

Here's an interesting mixup:

"Translated from Japanese by Bing

[Public relations] to "Zelda warriors hiralallsters" "Trident" appeared as a new weapon of ganondorf. Play movie coming next week! http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/zelda-3ds/"

So, Ganondorf's Trident is next. Keep in mind, the past characters have been shown off alongside new stages. There's NO reason not to do Skull Kid next... unless they're waiting for a stage to be announced in Famitsu. Which would imply not one but two things:

1.) We are getting Majora's Mask stages and possibly more.

2.) They're amping up the frequency of reveals because its getting closer to release, meaning there's a lot more content (and undoubtedly characters) than previously expected.

Admittedly, I've been thinking there's simply a LOT of info missing with these newer reveals we've gotten. So this is getting quite exciting.

December should be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love boobs as much as the next person, but female characters do not need prominent breasts to stand out and have an appealing design, contrary to popular belief. I think Linkle looks absolutely fine.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, Linkle looks pretty fun to play as, even if her wielding her dual crossbows like machine guns can be seen as a bit cliche for some.

Those collector's edition items look rather interesting, too. I'd sure love to own that gold ocarina and Navi plushie!

Honestly the new characters are great and all... but does anyone else feel like we have several supporting actual Zelda characters that we are missing that we really should have got before another Zelda and Link? I mean the King is awesome, but Groose has such heavy fan demand, his announcement would make a darned good response in the west at least, and we still lack a true Gerudo, and Nabooru would be pretty darned cool to bring to the table... well hey thats my thoughts

I haven't played Hyrule Warriors again until a few weeks ago and started to pick up the pace of it again, but to be frank, does anyone else think the gameplay sometimes gets rather stale? Like yeah, I know it's major Zelda fanservice, but the flow of most missions is usually the same in that you just have to beat the crap out of various groups of mooks and their more competent leaders, grab keeps to advance to the mandatory next objective, and most vs. other playable commanders just seems like a long chipping damage fest and wait until they perform a attack that leaves a guard meter open briefly for you to inflict moderate damage.

I'm a huge Zelda fan, but I hope the 3DS version will breathe some new life into it and make grinding less monotonous if you were to ask for my honest opinion.

Oh and Linkle is a interesting character in my book as well.

I haven't played Hyrule Warriors again until a few weeks ago and started to pick up the pace of it again, but to be frank, does anyone else think the gameplay sometimes gets rather stale? Like yeah, I know it's major Zelda fanservice, but the flow of most missions is usually the same in that you just have to beat the crap out of various groups of mooks and their more competent leaders, grab keeps to advance to the mandatory next objective, and most vs. other playable commanders just seems like a long chipping damage fest and wait until they perform a attack that leaves a guard meter open briefly for you to inflict moderate damage.

Sounds like a regular ass Dynasty Warriors game to me.

Famitsu confirmed the Great Sea Adventure map!

image.thumb.jpg.0cf29a1375362064d13ba508

http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1152848

I think the bigger reveal here is the Termina Map confirmed for 3DS. Which means those maps are now officially coming to the 3DS version of the game, the first confirmation we've got of that. The whole My Fairy thing is weird... not sure what's going on here.

Otherwise, I really just want to see what's on the pages NOT shown here. This is the first time Famitsu has previewed Hyrule Warriors Legends. Could this mean this article will be bigger than past ones? Not sure, but I do think we'll at least get either a character or weapon revealed alongside this info.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IGN/status/674298690559840258

So Linkle might appear in other Zelda games. Pretty cool!

If they're considering her we better damn see some other major characters make a returning appearance in future games. I'd at least like every single Zelda character in Hyrule Warriors to return in future titles (barring Fi since she's got a huge restriction on her), along with others not in the game yet (Saria, Nabooru, Groose, Vaati).

If it means we can see more recurring Zelda characters I'd be ok with Linkle coming to the main series.

Just because they're "keeping her in mind" doesn't mean they're actually gonna bring her back in a new game.  It basically just means that they might do something with the general idea of her.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just because they're "keeping her in mind" doesn't mean they're actually gonna bring her back in a new game.  It basically just means that they might do something with the general idea of her.

Of course. People are jumping the gun on this anyway. Its really quite annoying. The odds of getting Linkle over past actual Zelda characters in future Zelda titles is a slim shot anyway. We'll get any of these other characters long before Linkle.

But I don't necessarily think they mean the "general idea" of her, either. I do think they mean specifically Linkle. Not that it means they WILL bring her back, of course.

EDIT:

So, I read the full interview. Its actually a lot more interesting that I had thought. There's a lot of details about Linkle's story in there. Here, my post on GameFAQs about it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/167257-hyrule-warriors-legends/72961642

I know some people will claim this is redundant, but I don't think it is. We know that Linkle will encounter Skull Kid and Twili Midna, however:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/08/hyrule-warrior-the-story-of-how-linkle-became-a-star

"She is boundlessly cheerful, and her kind but naive personality means that she always stops to help those in need. When she hears that Hyrule Castle is under attack by monsters, she sets out on a journey to save the realm from crisis.

Linkle's sense of direction is not the best

, however, so

she ends up visiting locations all across the land before she arrives at Hyrule Castle

. Her desire to help others in need gets her

tangled up with all kinds of other characters along her journey,

and

they end up traveling together

."

So, this confirms several things.

1.) Linkle does not go to Hyrule Castle first like GameXplain thought. She sets off in search of Hyrule Castle but travels in the wrong direction.

2.) Whenever she finds trouble she tries to help out others as well.

3.) She gets tangled up with other characters on her journey. this we know, but they also JOIN HER.

Some things to note about this. Skull Kid is clearly an enemy and steals her compass, so he probably doesn't join her. Maybe someone else will at that point?

Twili Midna probably does join her as well.

Tingle could likely be a character who will join her as well since Twili Midna already does, but I don't think it'd stop at just two characters (and again, Skull Kid most likely doesn't join her). One factor here is the new gameplay mechanic to have four characters team up against an enemy. They'd likely want to use this to its fullest advantage, so we'll probably have at least three allies join Linkle.

Another problem factor with this confirmation is who Linkle's allied units will be on her journey? Because she doesn't reach Hyrule Castle right away, the Hylian Knights cannot be the ones helping her. Will it be Gorons again? Or will we get new allied units confirmed later? Maybe as characters join her, allies of theirs join her as well?

"Koei Tecmo first proposed the Linkle character as Link's little sister

for the Wii U version of Hyrule Warriors. However,

we felt this conflicted with the concept of Aryll

from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, the only character we had ever had appear as Link's sister,

so we decided not to include that version

. In Hyrule Warriors Legends, though,

the proposal was to include Linkle not as Link's sister, but as a girl with heroic aspirations

. This was a totally new and unique background for the franchise, and we thought she would add to the game's diversity, so we decided to include her in this game."

Linkle is not Link's sister or an alternate version of Link, just a girl with heroic aspirations.

I think these are some important things to take from this interview that other people hadn't noted yet.

So, in GameXplain's video, they thought that Linkle was LEAVING Hyrule Castle. However, that's not the case at all. What that scene is showing is she's trying to follow the map to get to Hyrule Castle, but she went in the wrong direction and went away from Hyrule Castle instead.

This provides several major problems. First off, in Hyrule Warriors, you always have allied units. However, Linkle is clearly on her own, and if she hasn't been to Hyrule Castle yet, she can't have Hylian Soldiers following her around either. This likely means that she'll instead meet someone on her journey who goes with her who has allies.

This also confirms, too, that several characters she meets outright join her. Since Skull Kid is an enemy its probably not him... plus, that appears to be the first chapter... so in theory, she'd have to meet someone in the forest who aids her against Skull Kid. And that character would need to have allied units as well. Oh, and this week's Famitsu article includes a major focus on "My Fairy."

We can also reason that Twili Midna is likely playable in Linkle's story, too, and joins her on her quest.

Oh, and Linkle isn't a female Link or Link's sister, she's a new character with heroic ambitions like Link.

Please don't make me get my hopes up... but I think this might mean we are getting Saria...

Edited by JaidynReiman