Awoo.

ARTWORK: Zolo's Gallery, now back in action!

ProfessorZolo

Soniko- absolutely! I've sent you a friend request. My PS3's internet connection can be hit or miss though.

Jez- cool, thanks man. I'd already planned to distance it from PD as much as possible, but if you were willing, I would like Chin to cameo in the intro, briefly meeting the scientist I mentioned and turning down the case she offered him.

So basically, the ideal Cole is... Something like this?

post-2021-0-94999200-1391815227_thumb.jp

Expressive, built like a house, and with minor extra detail.

I might as well also post this rough for the scientist- in my style.

post-2021-0-77695100-1391815346_thumb.jp

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah a Chin cameo is fine with me!  By all means go ahead and do your own thing if you want to, but if you did want to try and potentially make it so it doesn't clash with anything in the existing canon, you're welcome to send me a script or whatever of the Chin scene and I'll let you know if anything seems off.

Thanks Jez, I'll send you a PM with the Chin scene when I've written it.

And now, whether you love or hate the new Sonic Boom designs, it could have been worse.

post-2021-0-46306000-1392068982_thumb.jp

...I could have been part of the design team! :V

• Thumbs Up 1

While I'm still planning out the two comics, I've been catching up on Phantasm Dyad.

...Which reminded me that Jez mentioned he doesn't get much fanart of his male characters. And since I draw almost nothing but guys, I figured I should fix that!

post-2021-0-04960700-1392215537_thumb.jp

Can't remember their names off the top of my head I'm afraid, but here's the blond guy and the guy with two-tone hair, both based on their latest appearance in the comic.

Also, for no good reason, here's a 'what if' of Alice's brother if he was corrupted.

post-2021-0-95361400-1392215776_thumb.jp

I was also gonna draw *checks name* Zach, but I'm finding it difficult to make them all look different when the references I'm using (the comics) all have similar face shapes and a lack of noses.

Yeah. I tend to use a nose as a defining feature of a face. Kinda falls apart for me if I can't put one on a character.

And y'know what? I might as well show off the roughs of the first two pages of the comic set in the PD universe! Here they are! Just to prove I am working on it! Exclamation mark!

post-2021-0-90021800-1392218460_thumb.jppost-2021-0-47395300-1392218599_thumb.jp

As said, very rough. But that's the gist of it. Still don't have a name for the scientist (or her sister) but I'm sure I'll think of something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh those are really cool!  You did super well considering source material, those are exactly the kind of facial/nose shapes etc I imagine for first two guys (Lárus is bearded blonde guy, Hayden the two-toned hair guy).  I do my best to portray that with the limited resources of my PD comic style, so either I was successful or your instincts for character design are that honed haha.  I don't believe I've ever drawn an image of Zach outside of the comic in my "normal" style for facial reference come to think of it.  I accidentally made him and Lárus super similar, their main differences other than the small hair variations are Lárus' beard and I make Zach is a lot more expressive facially.

Oh and Aaron came out super cool too, I don't have any specific comments there haha.  Thanks!

I'm in a good mood for some reason, so here are the rough versions of pages 3 and 4.

post-2021-0-88427900-1392236269_thumb.jppost-2021-0-44359300-1392236287_thumb.jp

I won't be doing this for all the rough versions- I don't want to end up spamming people with these sketches after all. I will however be posting certain pages I require opinions on. I do hope you'll all give me any advice you may have at such a time.

Fun fact! Originally, the concept for this comic starred Chin and a new character- a young boy- instead of the sisters I'm currently using. It would have been called Phantasm Dyad: The Chin Files, set during the time Alice was at uni (hence why Chin had a new underling).

Probably for the best it's changed!

• Thumbs Up 1

The more I write of the PD spinoff, the more I wish it was my own thing.

Problem is, if it were my own thing, the setup would be exactly the same, just minus the Chin cameo. I'd feel like I'm ripping off the original. Y'know what I mean?

I'm enjoying the characters so much, if this goes well, I might even make it a full series of its own.

Speaking of the spinoff, here's a group shot of the cast!

post-2021-0-27048000-1392908821_thumb.jp

You might notice the new character. She's a mage from an order obsessed with necromancy. The name's Luci. And the taller woman now has a name- Jessica. Still not sure about her sister though.

And on top of that, here's a rough version of another character who will have an important role to play.

post-2021-0-30151600-1392908841_thumb.jp

Not sure what to do about his clothing under the implied cloak. He's also a mage from the same order, so do I give him old fashioned/ fantasy stuff, or modern stuff, since that's the setting...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude if you wanna make it your own thing you have my total blessing, I was hardly the first to do the "investigating ghosts but weird quirky ghosts" concept and it'd give you more freedom to make up your own ghostiverse rules if you decided to (not that the PD ghostiverse rules are entirely consistent, I still have several plot holes to fill in later lol).

These are shaping up super nicely anyway, you're so good at character design!

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, it's been a while.

So here's the thing. I don't want to get too deep into details, but the gist of the situation is that I may be about to lose my job. Not a happy bunny.

I figured what I'd try to do is raise a bit of cash while I look for a replacement job.

Now I'm planning on taking, as the topic title reads, sketch commissions.

To be honest, I have no idea what my art is worth. I've tried getting commissions on DeviantArt before, with no takers. So what I think I'll try to do is run a pay-what-you-want sketch service.

Thoughts?

Oh, and so this isn't just a semi-depressing bunch o' text, here's a doodle of some Smash characters.

post-2021-0-84037100-1400957515_thumb.jp

• 9 months later...

...Did I lose *anything* in the wipe? Don't think so. Anyway!

Just one pic today, and it's another of Ebineizer and... Ebineizer?

post-2021-0-91713600-1426666603_thumb.jp

Time travel will be a thing in the comic, y'see. Y'know, when I eventually get a move on with it. The professor and company will do a spot of messing with the flow of space and time, meeting his past self on at least two occasions- one of which is somewhere in the 80's, where they encounter this handsome (but arrogant) fellow.

Although none of the cast have specific ages, they are all roughly an age. The professor is in his early fourties, Boris in his mid thirties and Mrs. L in her late twenties. So, by that logic, in the 80's the professor would have been in his late teens or early twenties.

I know his hand is screwed up, but it's hard to fix something like that when you draw in pen, y'know?

Regarding the delay- a lot of IRL stuff got in the way that I'd rather not talk about. Apologies, and normal service will resume shortly.

• Thumbs Up 1

...Did I lose *anything* in the wipe?

I know at the very least there was that Jessica pic you did.

Which is a crying shame, because that one was really good ;-;

• 4 weeks later...

It appears I lost a lot more than I thought in the wipe. Especially as I didn't think I'd lost anything! I may repost those in the future.

I don't usually draw fanart anymore, but when I do, it comes in waves. I won't post ALL of it, but here's a couple of highlights- first up, an adorable Inkling from Splatoon.

post-2021-0-24721200-1428630866_thumb.jp

Next, let me tell you why I love One Piece- I can't copy it. Might sound like an odd reason, but hear me out.

I basically learnt most, if not all, of my art techniques from copying things I was interested in- Sonic for example. Naruto was a big one for a long time too. Learnt a lot about posing and action shots from that. And so on. But One Piece? I could never replicate it. Something about the weird proportions and structures didn't fit with the way I visualised things. You may have noticed, but my work is quite boxy and thin?

So I wrapped myself in the series, spending years trying to copy it. And you know what? I still can't. But what I can do is my own take on it!

post-2021-0-06966900-1428630883_thumb.jppost-2021-0-06968000-1428630898_thumb.jp

Luffy and Nami with outfits I cobbled together myself. Still working on Zoro and Sanji, so I guess I'll show them off at some other time.

And to finish this off for now, here's the pic that Spin thought it was a shame to lose.

post-2021-0-55663700-1428630929_thumb.jp

• Thumbs Up 6

• 3 months later...

So, hey. Been a while. Far, FAR too long.

But within that overly extended timeframe, I've set my PC up again! So guess what? COLOUR. GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOUR.

redraw__phantasm_dyad___cover_by_profess

Ages ago, Jez did this "redraw" thing, and he did a couple of pics for me. I did this, as a sketch, with the promise I'd finish it once my PC was running again. So... yeah. Here it is. I believe the original sketch was lost due to the forum crash, so you'll just have to take my word for it! :V

• Thumbs Up 5

Already commented on dA but again this is totally awesome, you could've gotten away with it since while I never forgot this pic I totally forgot you had promised to colour it lmao.  I appreciate your integrity and definitely having a better discipline for stuff you've left on the wayside for over a year than I have. lol

Blimey, that was fast. Got another one done! This time, it's Spin Attaxx's Lumina.

gift__lumina_by_professorzolo-d91iysy.pn

I saw this character a while ago and just felt the urge to draw her.

I... maaaaay have tweaked some details a bit. Okay, a lot. But y'know, that's kinda what I do. My own take on a concept. I find it fascinating how differently people can approach the same concept, so that inspires me to always do my own thing!

• Thumbs Up 6

Just noticed this, and I really like your take on Lumina's design. She looks so adorable in this! Thank 8D

Hey there, viewer! Wow, you're looking good today. Done something new with your hair?

sonic_boom_by_professorzolo-d91jeh7.png

While you're here, might I interest you in a picture of Sonic? Haha, I know, Sonic fanart? On a Sonic forum? That's crazy! But y'know, it might just be crazy enough to work...

Oh, and by the way, I have an image of Nami from One Piece, if that's something you'd like to see?

pieces_of_one_piece__nami_by_professorzo

The rest of the crew? They'll be along shortly, along with my brand new icon.

Edited by Professor Zolo
  • Thumbs Up 6

Zolo-senpai said I look good today! (・_・;)

I really like that Boom!Sonic drawing, it looks like something Adventure 1-ish, but brings the new Boom flare. Awesome!

Hey viewer, nice top. Really brings out your chin!

While you're here, want to take a look at this pic of Krystal from Starfox?

smash_ballot_top_5__krystal__amiibo__by_

It's part of a Smash Ballot Top 5 series of images I'm working on, with the others to come at a later date. Fans of The Wonderful 101, you have something to look forward to...!

Y-y'know, i-if you w-want to. It's n-not like I'm trying to impress you or anything!

...Baka.

Oh, right! And on a slightly less weeb-y note (or is it about the same?), I put my new icon up early! So many people think the username is a One Piece reference, so hell, it might as well be one.

I am, of course, still working on my own Zolo and his world, so fret not. The rest of the crew, too. Still working on them. It's just going to take longer than expected is all.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, wow. That's a handsome nose you got there viewer! I bet you get mistaken for stars with a nose like that.

Anyway, in the mood for a picture or two? Because I just happen to have a couple to show off!

shantae_by_professorzolo-d96ypq9.png

First up, it's Shantae! When I flicked on the computer this morning, I felt like drawing something cute.

She's actually one of my top picks for the Smash Ballot, though she won't be in my Top 5 picture series, as she's third-party. A shame, perhaps, but that doesn't stop me from drawing her regardless!

gift__nameless_heroes_by_professorzolo-d

Next, it's a little bit of gift art for Galabance.

I've been meaning to draw something for him for a while but never quite found the inspiration... And then I stumbled across these guys! Really dig the simple colour schemes.

...Still here? Well then... I guess I can give you a peek at a couple of upcoming gift arts. They are VERY sketchy though.

diogenes__siamese_catgirl_by_professorzorobrainiac_s_stingirl_and_serenade_by_pr

Diogenes' Siamese catgirl, and Robrainiac's Serenade and Stingirl, although I'll only be finishing one of those two. Haven't yet decided which.

Right, off with you. I'm sure you have much more important things to do than stand in my virtual doorway!

• Thumbs Up 5

Woah, this was a surprise! I love how you've done my two characters (Especially the boy, his facial expression is exactly how he'd be in my head)! You got 'em spot on, man!

• 2 months later...

Whoa viewer, that's a really terrifying costume you've got for Halloween. What? You're not wearing one? But I thought... Oh. OH. Er.

Aaaaanyway, how 'bout a picture or two?

halloween_2015__zolo_and_co__by_professo

First up, fairly self-explanatory, a Halloween image. But! This marks the first time Ebineizer, Boris and Mrs. L have been seen in colour! Admittedly, not in their own outfits, but hey. Baby steps, right? Heh...

I'm still finalising their colour schemes and tweaking the designs, but their true reveal isn't far off now!

sk_asuka_by_professorzolo-d9bj7vi.png

Secondly, here's one I did at the beginning of the month but felt wasn't really enough to be worth updating my topic with on it's own. It's Asuka from the Senran Kagura series!

I don't know how people can put up with drawing detailed backgrounds 'cause this was driving me mad. Still, it's one area I really want to improve on, and I won't get better if I don't keep trying, so... Bah. Madness it is, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 3