Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

Another nice episode indeed. I don't particularly have a lot to say on it at the moment but it was an enjoyable watch. It's sort of nice to see Discord actually "getting along" with the mane six for a change instead of them being on some sort of temporary truths. It was also very nice to see that not all of Twilight's obsessive tendencies are gone as her jealousy of Discord's time with her friends was a hilarious thing to watch unfold. Hell, I have to give Discord a hand as this was some truly devious shit he pulled. It seems like these days he just purely lives to mess with Twilight using her own special trait. He knows he can't do anything really evil but he can still certainly fuck with anyone around him. I think that this just might be a better position for him than if he was just another main villain. Add in the various sight gags and references (could you have asked for a better time for that Bob Ross reference!? XD) and this was just a fun episode to watch. Also, it was very nice to see Zecora again (seriously though, she's was absent for like a full season).

Though with all that being said, I have to say this episode probably could have worked better as a fifteen minute episode rather than a full length one. I mean, the premises was fun and all but I did feel like there were some parts of the episode that just went on for too long. One example that comes to mind were all the scenes where we see Discord and the other mains laughing about their weekend. These scenes sort of go overboard in conveying that the other characters had fun without Twilight long before they cut to the next one. This normally wouldn't be that big of a deal but when you, the viewer, on in the same boat as Twilight and have no idea why their laughing... it just becomes a waste of time.

Overall, this was a pretty enjoyable one for me. Though it did drag at times, I think the overall package was a good one. The references, Zecora, jealous Twilight, and Spike who I forgot to mention was at the top of his game again this season! It was good stuff.

Inside indeed.

Hidden Content

I think we're in for some first season Gravity Falls shit come this season finale XD. How much do you guys want to bet we're going to get a scene of Glimmer and Twilight going though the past few episodes in these exact scenes. Hell, if Twilight going on about time travel (not to mention that Back To The Future reference during it) here wasn't foreshadowing I don't know what is.

Though, I gotta say I'm kind of worried about this season finale. Time travel is a very hard thing to pull off in any medium and if continuity doesn't line up just right it all comes crumbling down. It's going to be especially hard to do in this show's case as it has done a lot more talking than showing when it comes to backstory. There's not much guideline to follow so you're stuck aiming in the dark for the most part with possible continuity errors becoming all the more dangerous. Though I don't know, maybe the lack of backstory will actually help them build upon what they do have. Who knows? Either way, I will say that some shit is going down come the 28th.

What About Discord was an episode that I have been anticipating for a while because he is one of favorite characters.

After watching it, I was really disappointed in this and I didn’t like it that much. It is probably the weakest of the Discord episodes, not really as good as Make Friends but Keep Discord.

Probably the only things I liked were the Bob Ross references and the BTTF reference, return of Zecora and Spike.

The pacing for this episode felt like it dragged at a snail’s pace and that it felt low on energy with how much the in-jokes tossed in and the joke at the end was unnecessarily long. Definitely filler fodder.

Speaking of jokes, the writing and humor fell really flat and lacking nearly throughout and just really didn’t do much for me. And the sad part this humor was intentional to teach a character some lesson. The problem is that I’m the audience member and not Twilight so I expected that the gags should be well written, entertaining and executed, not be flying over my head and be as baffled as Twilight and not be getting them. It just wasn’t done well.

Some of the characterization and plot in turn was affected as well. The Manes excluding Twilight felt out of character for agreeing to go with Discord’s plan and it was a pretty mean spirited thing to do to Twilight who did nothing wrong and to be taught a lesson in envy for no reason. It was like she was being punished for a being a bookworm, a character trait that they know from the very beginning, and doing what she liked and thought it was fun. Maybe this would have worked better if she rejected an invitation to hang out with friends for her book thing. 

As for Twilight, it looked like it was building up as another Lesson Zero or It’s About Time of her going crazy again, but didn’t really happened and didn’t go to such extremes. Kinda disappointing really.

So a very weak Discord episode for me and didn’t enjoy it as much as others.

It was nice seeing Zecora after so long! How long has it been? The Season 4 premiere? I think it would be great if there was some kind of song with her in it sometime in the future, her voice is really fun! c:

• Thumbs Up 1

It was nice seeing Zecora after so long! How long has it been? The Season 4 premiere? I think it would be great if there was some kind of song with her in it sometime in the future, her voice is really fun! c:

Seeing Zecora again was the best part about this episode really.  I feel for Twilight in this one because I'm almost always out of the loop when it comes to my own friends, but this episode really dragged.  It felt like an 11 minute episode stretched out for double the time.

Also, I bought the My Little Pony Christmas Album on iTunes.

Daniel Ingram is a fucking monster; I wasn't ready for the Apples singing "Auld Lang Syne".  

Otherwise, it's pretty decent.  Rainbow Dash's take on "Jingle Bells" is amusing only because it involves her flying around Ponyville and kidnapping her friends for what I assume to be a wicked awesome sleigh ride.  Pinkie's take on the "Twelve Days of Christmas" has wonderful comedic timing with the song's shifting tempos.  Spike singing "Jolly Ol' St. Nick" makes only makes me want Spike to sing more often in the show.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seeing Zecora again was the best part about this episode really.  I feel for Twilight in this one because I'm almost always out of the loop when it comes to my own friends, but this episode really dragged.  It felt like an 11 minute episode stretched out for double the time.

I kind of feel like it was more of a filler episode than anything, so I agree with you there.

Also, I bought the My Little Pony Christmas Album on iTunes.

Daniel Ingram is a fucking monster; I wasn't ready for the Apples singing "Auld Lang Syne".  

Otherwise, it's pretty decent.  Rainbow Dash's take on "Jingle Bells" is amusing only because it involves her flying around Ponyville and kidnapping her friends for what I assume to be a wicked awesome sleigh ride.  Pinkie's take on the "Twelve Days of Christmas" has wonderful comedic timing with the song's shifting tempos.  Spike singing "Jolly Ol' St. Nick" makes only makes me want Spike to sing more often in the show.

Oh? I had no idea there was a Christmas album! What does Twilight Sparkle sing? Is it just the Mane 6? Is Sunset Shimmer in it too? She has a beautiful singing voice. Then again, she sings for Twilight too, right?

I kind of feel like it was more of a filler episode than anything, so I agree with you there.

Oh? I had no idea there was a Christmas album! What does Twilight Sparkle sing? Is it just the Mane 6? Is Sunset Shimmer in it too? She has a beautiful singing voice. Then again, she sings for Twilight too, right?

Twilight sings "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" and I don't really like it honestly.  Sunset's not in it unfortunately, it's mostly just the Mane 6 and Spike although Applebloom and Granny Smith sing "Auld Lang Syne" with Applejack.  Along with that is an extended version of the Hearth's Warming Carol, which is kind of nice.  

There's also a song sang by somepony named Pop Fly, and nobody really knows who he is (from what I've seen, the common theory is that he's Fluttershy's brother).  He's voiced by Vincent Tong (Flash Sentry and other various minor characters throughout the show) though, so there's something.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, Jan Animations has finally been able to provide a proper update on that C&D situation. Turns out Hasbro has basically been stringing him along for at least a year now in order to avoid saying an outright 'no' to him to avoid fan backlash. He pretty much said that their conduct towards him was highly unprofessional.

Really disappointing, but not surprising.

I feel bad for him. It would have just been better if they had flat out said no to begin with. Yes, people will get angry, but eventually they'll move on.

So, Jan Animations has finally been able to provide a proper update on that C&D situation. Turns out Hasbro has basically been stringing him along for at least a year now in order to avoid saying an outright 'no' to him to avoid fan backlash. He pretty much said that their conduct towards him was highly unprofessional.

Going off of my interactions with Hasbro when they offered me a job, I think this is less conspiracy not to anger fans and more Hasbro just being Hasbro.

Excuse me? But can we all just take a moment to realize and agree that PMVs are one of the greatest things that have come out of the Brony fandom! c:

It's just so beautiful. Animation and music! c:

A simple and enjoyable episode. It's great to see the Twilight and Fluttershy duo again. It's one of my favorites because of the way the way they interact with each other by try to rely on each other and come up with ideas vs Applejack/Rarity duo where there seems to be some kind of conflict between the two. I also like how we got to see Twilight filling more in as her role as the Princess of Friendship.

The plot device though...it was ok. We've seen this kind of plot before, so I felt that held the episode back a bit. Fluttershy's interactions with the animals was adorable and seeing Twilight trying to come up with solutions in her usual bookworm style was amusing.

So now that all the Ponies have had their calling with the map, I'm curious how they're going to build up the season finale. We also have AKR's final episode next week which I'm really looking forward to!

Bleh. I... really didn't like this one. :/ For Twilight's first map episode, it was a huge letdown, as it was highly predictable, the characters introduced were incredibly grating, and it was just... BORING, if you ask me.

I wasn't fond of the previous episode, either, as I felt it was just... slow, and wasted what could've been a hilarious Discord episode on lame in-jokes. Definitely down there with Appleloosa's Most Wanted as my least favorite episodes this season...

• Thumbs Up 2

Here we basically have a pony version of the Hattfield vs McCoy plotline as found in Avatar and other cartoons. And that’s mostly it and rather barebones.

It’s mediocre at best though find it slightly better than last week’s and in terms of Cutie Map episodes, it is second place after Griffonstone and before Manehattan.

Some of the characterizations for the Manes were pretty good as well as some of the designs of the hillbilly ponies (though most would be in the complete opposite). Also, Trojan Cake and some of the fights were interesting to look at.

Save for a few instances, the humor seemed to be lacking in this one. Again as said before, the story was barebones and clichéd. The hillbilly ponies were mostly annoying and as with most ‘Hattfield and McCoy’ families, stubborn and irrational making them more one-note with little personality and mostly forgettable.

The resolution to the dilemma being a history lesson told by animals was kinda weird and the ending felt rushed with the families getting along very quickly after the fact. I mean I know the show’s time constraints but felt such forced.

All in all, a bland, middle of the road episode that is slightly better than last week’s outing.

I honestly don't have too much say on this one. Don't really feel too strongly on either end really. It was a really by the books (no pun intended) episode. They follow the Hattfield vs. McCoy trope so closely that the episode just ended up becoming predictable because of it. Though, I will say seeing Twilight and Fluttershy play off one another with their differed character traits was a joy to see (really haven't seen anything like it since season 1). Really showed off how far both of them have come since then. Also, the battles were very well done and were a nice way of hiding a lot of background humor. Not to mention the Hayfields and McColts sporting some very interesting character models. I also liked how this episode perfectly displayed how terrible the south of America wa... wait no, really still is in a lot of areas.

So yeah, overall it was a pretty straight forward episode with not much going on. Some might question how believable the ending was. I mean, having a feud that basically went on for generations that just ends so quickly is a hole that a lot of shows often fall into when using this trope but I think it's pretty believable here. Especially considering how close Equestria seems to be with animals. All this and you basically have an episode that really only serves to push the map plot to the finale but plays it safe while doing so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hate to double post here but...

Hasbro Confirms November 3rd, 2017 Release Date for MLP Movie- Ingram Doing Songs

Get your clocks set folks. Wow, I'll be old enough to drink by the time this movie comes out...

Though, I guess this also gives more weight to the whole year gap before season 6 rumor that's been going around. Would make for a decent production schedule for DHX if they're doing the movie. Though, only one season for the next two years... man, these breaks are going to be brutal.

• Thumbs Up 1

And thus we have concluded Amy Keating Rogers' final episode and did she and Lena Hall deliver!

First regarding Rara (for some reason, I love that name), it's obvious she's a parody of Lady Gaga. I was worried about her character at first, but as soon as it was revealed that she was a nice pony and not a snob, I instantly loved her character!

Spin Gallop! Oh, Spin Gallop! My only complaint about this episode was the overbearing manager cliche since it's been done many times before. But on the other hand, to see how Applejack outsmarting him and Rara finally standing up to him was so sweet to see!

That second to last song was simply amazing! I know we saw a preview of it at Comic Con, but to see it in its final form made it even better! It's one of my favorite songs of the season!

This is one of the best Applejack episodes to date! Despite that she and Rara's friendship appeared to have been severed at first, I love that she didn't give up on it and made every effort to get her back! It shows how very dedicated she can be and I love that about her character!

Thank you, Amy for your amazing writing on the show. I'm going to miss you and I wish you all the best of luck at Disney.

Again, I really don't have much to say on this one. Though, that won't stop me from saying that this was purely just an excellent episode through and through. Lena Hall killed it as Rara and this might have been one of AJ's best episodes to date. Her element truly shinned here more than it ever has and it was an absolute joy to see her handle the situation so well. Can I also just say how much I loved how the rest of the mane six weren't overplayed when they didn't need to be in this episode. I think this episode mastered something that the show has needed to do pretty much since season one. It has the mane six there but they only contribute to the scenes when the story has something to gain from it. They're not just pushed into a scene because they simply need to have something to say in it. Every character was perfectly handled here

Also,the music and animation in this episode truly did reach a new level. How DHX was able to juggle all those colors to perfectly fit the scene was simply astounding and that second to final song... I can't remember the last time I've felt the need to put a MLP song on my phone this badly. It might actually go down as one of my top 5 favorite songs of the show actually. I had never heard of Lena Hall up until now but the work she did here has greatly peaked my interest in seeing what else she has done. *side note: actually, it's funny how many times mlp has gotten me into something or someone. I mean, this show is what got me to start following things like Batman, Dr. Who, various anime and shows... wow, my whole nerd life revolves around this show. Though, I did find this show through a Sonic parody group so... oh, now I know why I'm here... This blue hedgehog is going to be the death of me I swear XD.

I guess the only bad thing I can even nitpick about was how likely it actually was for someone who hasn't been in a person's life for years to cause them to make such a drastic choice in their career. I mean, AJ lost contact with Rara and they haven't talked since but Rara is still able to trust AJ so much that she's willing to potentially ruin her (fake but profitable I imagine) career in doing so? While it does seem rather far-fetched, I do think the episode handled it well enough to have it slide mostly under the radar.

But yeah, overall I have to say this is another big win for season 5. I guess next week we get to see if it can top itself again with it's finale. Gotta say, I'm both pysched and dreading this upcoming Saturday. I mean, I can't wait to see the finale to this arc but I'm also dreading this upcoming hiatus. Though, something tells me that both things are going to be quite the doozy XD.

Let’s go in the garden… You will find someth-

Oh, sorry, got AT’s Stakes stuck in my head for quite a while and the awesomeness of that hasn’t let up yet.

The Mane Attraction is 24th episode this season and sadly Amy Keating Rogers’ last episode for the series. How did it play out?

It was pretty okay and alright nonetheless.

I liked Pinkie Pie in this with Fernando the Straw and other reactions; the music was okay except for The Spectacle even if it was intentionally bad and the autotune, and the overall moral.

Svengallop was just your cliché and stereotypical manipulative and controlling jerk manager that most of these types of stories/plotlines tend to produce without bringing anything new to the table.

The pacing also felt a bit rushed with things getting resolved rather quickly, but I guess it is a given due to fitting in the songs and whatnot. And again, I thought the songs were just okay. Didn’t think that they were all spectacular, but nothing really bad, just a difference in personal preference and taste.

So overall it’s a nice episode to sendoff AKR who will surely be missed and makes me kinda nervous for S6.

Though next week is the finale which involves time travel already makes me nervous about it too since I’m not too keen on the concept. Also, after watching the trailer, am I the only one who is getting tired of NMM in the show and comics being a constant force that she feels like a blatant plot device than villain now? It’s like they’re making it Luna’s only character trait and I was hoping the Tantabus things would be the last of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

After two episodes that I could describe as "I almost fell asleep watching them" we are finally getting some more interesting pone... and I also got some more time to talk about it. Tho not much time since I still have to get ready for my finals and I need to install some OS here and there so here are just a few highlights for me:

1027049__safe_applejack_screencap_singin

Man! Puberty Cutie Mark Puberty did a number on her...

The mane attraction of the episode fillies and gentlecolts! No other than Lady Rara (as I'll call her from here on)! She was a long since last seen friend Applejack made on Camp Friendship not too long after she got her cutie mark herself (I guess). The days in camp friendship were ones that Applejack would never forget, but conveniently she'd also never mention to anyone because of the... Discoveries she made during that springtime of youth...

Okay no, I'm just messing around. But part of what I said was true, AJ and Lady Rara were fillyhood friends and when they unintentionally find each other again they seem... Different, Lady Rara went through a lot of changes and now goes as Countess Coloratura, she's a full on pop diva with at least half the glam of a JoJo character, with a manager that pushes a bad girl angle that managed to captivate the audience and a musical style that appealed to the masses.

She also has the power to cause seizures...

1027322__safe_animated_screencap_seizure

358479064385aff781d2cd867a6e18a8c01ac402

Do people still make a deal out of this like that Porygon episode?

But yeah, Lady Rara was... Different... Which obviously means something wrong is going on!

And this is where a lot of the appeal of the episode kinda vanishes for me...

851305__safe_applejack_vector_eyes+close

I'm always right... except when I'm not...

Well not really since I still enjoyed it plenty, but the moral of the episode feels a bit off. The changes Lady Rara went through to become to new pony of pop (better get working on it Sapphire) are presented as a bunch of whistles and pretty lights that diminish the true value of the artist, the managers ideas and the production team's work are wrong despite the fact those are the ones that made Rara stand out between the rest. I can't deny that being yourself is a more satisfying way of living and something one should try to achieve, yet at the same time I feel a lack of compromise that was present in episodes like Canterlot Boutique (also written by Amy) is a bit off putting, as if you can't recognize there is some good in those decisions even if the one doing them was a jerk. It doesn't really help that even under all the glitz and glam Lady Rara was still the same pony she's always been, she just performed a different kind of music and was being misleaded into making unreasonable demands because .

it also makes me think about the in-universe fans, what would they think about this new style Lady Rara is bringing, will they love it? The festival tells me, yes they will but also, will they crave for the old style as well as the new one? I'd like to think Lady Rara can pull off both numbers at the same time (Lady Gaga can) but the way the Magic Inside's lyrics directly contradict the (admittedly very hollow) ones from The Spectacle gives me some vibes that she doesn't want to.

It really doesn't help that the moral of the episode comes from a pony who you could say I admire, yet at the same time I know she can be very obstinate about her way of doing things. You saw a few episodes ago that the moment her costumes clashed with others she didn't take it well and this episode reflected that as well. Nopony minded Lady Rara's pop act but she knew something was wrong because it wasn't the same one she admired, and I'm not saying one is better than the other (both can be good or bad) but this isn't the message I got from this chapter.

1028052__safe_solo_spoiler-colon-s05e24_

But I thought Fluttershy was LaBeouf...

Still I quite liked the episode, while the message was a bit odd I still loved the songs (except for the one about Equestria, the lyrics ring true and work wonderfully as Amy's last words towards the show but the melody wasn't so good), Svengallop was as cliched as you get but it works in two ways because of the story he's inspired in and because of how you can make some contrasts between him and Sassy (I really liked Sassy in that episode, I think I mentioned this before?). Pinkie was a bit screechy but it's pretty understandable since she was meeting her idol and the people at dhx still keeps this trend that this season has about showing us the pink mare taking her job as a party pony seriously, it shows us the trials and hardships ponk has to go through to deliver smiles to everypony and makes her a lot more relatable and likeable as a character instead of the usual image one has of her of a pink ball of fun who just throws parties randomly (with some... odd issues here and there).

And while I complained about it there is this air of uncertainty about Lady Rara's future that also makes it engaging to see, you want to know how everything turns out for her (and we can guess it's going to be fine considering the show, but I still want to see the results of this decision) and that's been another theme this season has done quite well at some points (Twi and Flutters episode being one of the few exceptions). I wish I could talk a bit more about this but this text has grown quite large and I'm already behind my schedule as it is, maybe I'll make an S5 retrospective at some point. (hopefully but not likely before the finale).

so as a tl;dr: it was a pretty good episode, but not as engaging as I thought it'd be, also the moral doesn't feel quite right to me.

From Discovery Family Channel and Zap2It

"Starlight Glimmer returns to seek vengeance on Twilight and her friends and has acquired a spell that could change the past, present, and future of Equestria forever."

Oh, Josh, you genius you! To literally have the villain of all people save Equestria instead of Twilight and her friends doing so! That was very clever!

Those different universes...damn....! One of the best writing bits in this episode was seeing what would happen if every villian the Mane 6 has faced had won instead. We get a violent war from Sombra, Pony-kind is overthrown by Chrysalis, Celestia is trapped in the moon by Nightmare Moon (no surprise), Tirek destroys everything, Discord causes chaos (obviously), and the Flim Flam Brothers tear down Sweet Apple Acres.

Let's get to Starlight herself, not only was she very powerful, but she was also clever. Her plan was so perfect she had to realize the errors of her own way and stop everything herself. She's the first villain to technically "win".

As for her reformation, that I'm not surprised about. What did surprise me is her supposedly joining the main cast. It felt shoehorned in, yet it is nice to see Twilight gain a student. I'm going to wait to reserve full judgement until see what happens in Season 6.

A great finale to an amazing season! Now the long hiatus begins!

• Thumbs Up 2

... Wow. I'll make this short and sweet, this two-parter was absolutely spectacular in just about every way. Seeing what would have happened to Equestria if the villains had one was incredible to see. Seeing Celestia actually lead a full out war on Sombra, having Chrysalis return and her squaring off with a bad ass Zecora, and seeing an absolutely brutal Nightmare Moon (She's not quite Luna but I'll take what I can get) were just some cool and well done ideas that I never thought I'd actually see done in the show. I'm literally only scratching the surface of what happened because I'm still honestly geeking out over it all XD.

There were also just so many small things this finale did right as well. Spike was written so well and actually helped Twilight more than any other character this time around. I can't remember the last time I was able to say that. Also, the amount of nods to previous episodes might have even surpassed the 100th episode. Though, the thing about these nods is that they weren't all just played off as jokes but actually added to the plot. There were also quite a few moments/ lines/ scenery that heavily hinted at darker topics than this show has ever come close to. It was a perfect example of implying enough for older viewers to see it while hiding it enough for younger viewers to still enjoy it. Add in how well presented the outcome of these characters were in these different timelines plus all of this being done with great pacing and there was a level of detail in these episodes that I just haven't seen in the show to date. I mean, they even brought back bat ponies. BAT PONIES!

To be honest, I actually couldn't find anything particularly wrong with these episodes. If I had to nitpick it'd be that Twilight was the only one out of the main characters solving the problem again (especially after a season that heavily leaned on the use of other with the map plot and all) but the episodes were so well built around it that I can't even complain. It worked for what they were trying to do so why add more characters to weigh it down I guess.

So yeah, overall this might just be my favorite season finale to date. Quite possibly my favorite two-parter in general really. To me, it literally did everything it set out to do in the best way it could have. I actually wish it lasted longer so that we could just get a full view of each of the different timelines. Hell, this was so interesting to see unfold that it could have been the plot to the movie XD. It was a great finale that bring end to a fantastic season.

As for season 5 as a whole, have to say I found it up there. I don't think it quite beats out seasons 1 or 2 but it definitely goes over 3 and 4 for me. I don't know, maybe with some more re-watches it'll jump up even further. It had some downs but I'd be lying if I didn't find most of the episodes in this one to be of great quality. Some even topping out my list of favorite episodes of the series really. Add in the level of quality this show continues to push in terms of animation and I think it's safe to say that this season continued to justify why I love this show so much.

Well... I guess that's it for a while now. If this roaming rumor is to be believed we won't be seeing another piece of official pony animation until this time next year (November probably). Shows in general really need to get better with their release schedules *looks directly at Steven Universe*. Welp, until then there should probably be a bunch of community stuff to keep me entertained so for now I guess we're in for a long one. Let this cursed hiatus begin!

To be honest I thought that was kind of weak.

I never expected it to make any sort of sense with the time travel shit (because, theoretically all the villains should be out and about instead of just one in those timelines and fuck time travel, and why the fuck are the Flim Flam Brothers depicted in one of those scenes being the evil threat and fuck everything), and that was the fan-service drivel I expected it to be.  But Starlight's justification for her actions was fuck all terrible, and her turn around in the end was even weaker.  It hurts really fucking bad, because Starlight was actually really good in Season 5's premiere.

Season 5 was great overall despite the weak ending.  Amending Fences was by far the best episode this time around.

• Thumbs Up 4