Awoo.

YoshiUnity

Ah...! Good day, ladies, gentlemen and sentient computers! I see that you're curious about the game in the title and was interested in learning more about it! Not to worry, old bean! I'll be glad to tell you about this underrated gem shrouded in a pile of other gems! So sit back, relax and soak in some of that sweet, sweet knowledge!

Since as far as we can recall, it's been man's dream to take to the skies... And another man dream to take to said skies and fill the other chap full of lead, sending him spiraling downward to the ground below.  Why? For money? Power...? Maybe he wanted to have sex up there and the other guy was messing with his game? I don't know, the details aren't important. The point is that combat in the skies is fun especially when you get to shoot things! And is even better with friends! So man your blimps and get ready to take to the skies in Guns of Icarus Online.

Guns-of-Icarus-Online-Receives-Hefty-Upd

Guns of Icarus Online is a Steampunk First-Person Co-op game where you man your blimp with your allies, in teams of four, and work together to blast others out of the skies. The battlefields are vest and open with ample opportunity to attack others and veil yourself. You must work together, fulfilling your roles in order to take down enemies ships.

The game has many tools to work with. You make your character from scratch, then you make your own ship by choosing what type you want, then you customize it's weaponry. And hey, you even get to name your vessel as well. Here's my Pyramidon and beaut: The Sky Parade.

sky.png

She's been good for a lot of the matches I had. Try your best with as many types as you want, as they all had their unique advantages and disadvantages.  Whatever works, and how you customize it, is all up to you. But never forget this... You can have the best ship ever made, but it's nothing more than steam-spewing target if you don't have a great crew to man their positions.

This is where the most important part of Guns of Icarus Online comes in: teamwork. As a team of four, everyone decides what roles they will play and who becomes the captain. Whomever is the captain will of course have the most responsibility. For it is the Captain's ship that is automatically chosen and it is up to said individual keep the communication between allies strong. Your crew will look at you to inform them on what to do, since it's your ship. So be mindful of your decisions!

Now, everyone on the ship will need a job to uphold: either Pilot, Engineer or Gunner. Each job is mandatory to success, however any class can man any role. A Engineer can be a Pilot, a Gunner can be an Engineer and etc. However, it's wise to leave the job to whomever has that role, because whichever one you choose will give you extra perks to perform it better. It's best for others to only help you, not handle your job unless they are the same.

Pilot

The pilot has possibly the most responsibility of the team. It's up to him/her to man the steering wheel and direct the ship in and out of battle. In this position, you'll need to know when to approach enemy blimps, where to approach them, and to respect the work load of your engineers and gunners.  Essentially, you are not only the pilot but also the master tactician. It's best for someone who's able to think ahead and who doesn't have tunnel vision to take this role.

And while it's best the you man the wheel, certain perks will require you to leave it to perform evasive maneuvers. So don't have your fingers too glued. You will never know when desperate times will call for desperate measures.

Engineer

The best offense is a good defense. No matter how good you are, you ship WILL get hit! But in order to keep it in tip-top shape, you'll need at least one engineer to be on duty and at the ready whenever a section of your ship takes damage. Yes, I said "section." Your ship doesn't take damage as a whole, but in whatever is hit. From the balloon to the hull to even the weapons and etc., the engineer needs to be on it. Especially when something takes too many hits and becomes disabled for use or if your balloon is damage is your ship begins to descend.

Everything can be either damaged or even set on fire in any given pace one after the other. So make sure you make your repairs as fast as you can!

Gunner

Possibly the most popular role in the game. As you can guess, this is what provides the offense on your ship. You are required to aim and shoot to the best of your abilities here. If you've ever manned a turret in an FPS before, this role will be second nature to you. Although it pays to have a gunner that is able to adjust to the speed of enemy ships and have knowledge of how all the weapons work.

You might have a favorite gun to use, but that won't mean anything if that gun isn't facing the enemy, or if your allies aren't as familiar with said weapon. So move fast and be aware of what turret you choose to use.

Here's some gameplay footage. In case you wanted to see a bit more of it in action.

Go with whatever job suits you the most. Personally, I found out that I'm actually a pretty good pilot. I drove my ship and others to victory many times and even beat a few very experienced opponents. It's also the job I enjoy the most, so that works for me.

If there's anything I can recommend when playing Guns of Icarus Online is to have strong communications with your teammates. You'll have to work together, so keep communications going and watch each other's back. You can use the keyboard to communicate or even just man your blimp alone with bots, but I prefer using mics. And in case you are curious, the bots do a swell job as engineers or gunners. -- and you can win with a bot team -- but people are definitely better. Bots can't pilot your ship.

The game modes include Quick play, Matches and Practices. A match can range from 2 blimps vs. 2 blimps to 4 vs. 4.There's also an option called "Wanted" where you can choose and sign-up to be either a Bounty or a Hunter. With this, Hunters can choose to engage Bounties whenever they are online for points and prizes. And whomever comes victorious, gets the reward. There is a time limit of this option, so you will be able to play as the opposite role or bail out no problem.

Now normally, this post would be over, but earlier this year, Muse Games made a Kickstarter to fund an extra mode to be added later into the game: Adventure mode.

Safe to say, it's already been fully funded. And with this, Guns of Icarus Online will soon have an actual world for it's players to explore and take part of.missions for different factions and towns in PvP and vs CPU bouts. When you do well enough, you climb the political ladder and have more influence for that area. It definitely sounds ambitious, and will definitely take some time to nail right, so don't expect this to come anytime soon. Just expect it to come eventually. I am definitely looking forward to it!

Guns of Icarus Online was already released on Steam, and is scheduled to be released on the PS4 sometime in the future. The Steam Version cost $14.99 to buy it.

Now takes to skies, ladies and gents! And blast every air-sick bastard out of the skies that dares to try to get in your way! Discuss!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YoshiUnity

• Chaos Warp

• JezMM

• Jin.

I can't wait to play this game on PS4 (my PC can't handle it). I also need some people to play this with and take to the skies with them. I've been interested in this game and the teamwork air combat gameplay of it. Just gotta find some good people to play with on PS4. 

You better have friends on that blimp with proper communication then. Or a good leader with willing teammates.

I really wanna play this game but I don't like PvP stuff.  I wish there was a co-operative campaign against the computer.  I also just really can't tell if it's my bag or not generally so I hope they do a free weekend sometime.

I can't wait to play this game on PS4 (my PC can't handle it). I also need some people to play this with and take to the skies with them. I've been interested in this game and the teamwork air combat gameplay of it. Just gotta find some good people to play with on PS4. 

Even though I have the Steam version, I'm still might get the PS4 version whenever I get a PS4, since I like this game so much.  If I do, I'd totally play on your team.

You better have friends on that blimp with proper communication then. Or a good leader with willing teammates.

While I did recommend this, I can't say it's mandatory. If anything, it just makes things a bit easier for the player handle. I do have friends I play this with and they actual handle keyboard communication just fine. It's like an automatic or manual option for a driving game, just a little more to do or a little less.

As for teammates, bots can work. If someone ever finds themselves with only bot teammates, the bots will do well as a engineer or gunner and victory is very possible.

I really wanna play this game but I don't like PvP stuff.  I wish there was a co-operative campaign against the computer.  I also just really can't tell if it's my bag or not generally so I hope they do a free weekend sometime.

Ah... in that case, your best bet will be to wait for the adventure mode, then. Muse is pushing to make it more of a co-op romp against both computers and other players, letting you have to the option to approach it however you want. Though it might be a while before that's ready, so yeah...

A free weekend would be great for this game, too. Definitely would help give Guns of Icarus Online the push it needs.

Even though I have the Steam version, I'm still might get the PS4 version whenever I get a PS4, since I like this game so much.  If I do, I'd totally play on your team.

While I did recommend this, I can't say it's mandatory. If anything, it just makes things a bit easier for the player handle. I do have friends I play this with and they actual handle keyboard communication just fine. It's like an automatic or manual option for a driving game, just a little more to do or a little less.

As for teammates, bots can work. If someone ever finds themselves with only bot teammates, the bots will do well as a engineer or gunner and victory is very possible.

Ah... in that case, your best bet will be to wait for the adventure mode, then. Muse is pushing to make it more of a co-op romp against both computers and other players, letting you have to the option to approach it however you want. Though it might be a while before that's ready, so yeah...

A free weekend would be great for this game, too. Definitely would help give Guns of Icarus Online the push it needs.

Will that be done in time for the PS4 version?

Will that be done in time for the PS4 version?

Can't say, really. All that's really known about the PS4 version that it's coming on the system whenever. No time is confirmed at all. Not even a tentative date.

My bet is that they're trying to get the Adventure Mode finished first. And once that's done, they'll just do what work they need to bring the entire game over to the PS4.

This game actually looks pretty cool, but unfortunately my PC most likely won't run it, and I'm not planning on getting a PS4 at all sad.png  

That reminds me. I forgot to post the minimal computer requirements for this game.

Here we go!

PC System Requirements
  • Minimum: 
    • Processor:2 GHz processor 
    • Memory:2 GB RAM 
    • Graphics:Intel HD3000, Nvidia GeForce GT8600 or equivalent 
    • DirectX®:dx90c 
    • Hard Drive:3 GB HD space 
    • Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection
 Mac System Requirements
  • Minimum: 
    • Processor:2 GHz processor 
    • Graphics:Intel HD3000, Nvidia GeForce GT8600 or equivalent 
 Linux System Requirements
  • Minimum: 
    • OS:Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 32-bit (Linux machine configuration not supported) 
    • Processor:Dual-core 2 GHz 
    • Graphics:Intel HD3000, Nvidia GeForce GT8600 or equivalent, supporting Shader Model 3 equivalent 

Okay say if I drop almost all the settings in LFD2 I can get 60 and above FPS. Would I be at all able to run this? 

Okay say if I drop almost all the settings in LFD2 I can get 60 and above FPS. Would I be at all able to run this? 

As long your computer meet the minimal requirements for it. The game's not really taxing on settings, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Though you might have to drop Guns of Icarus's a little if push comes to shove.

As long your computer meet the minimal requirements for it. The game's not really taxing on settings, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Though you might have to drop Guns of Icarus's a little if push comes to shove.

The thing is I have no idea if my computer meets the min settings, because my graphics card is a Nivida GeForce GT 220 (I think), and the min system requirements for LFD2 say that I need a Nivida 6600 or better, and 220 is clearly not as high a number as 6600. It's confusing me. 

I apologize if this is an incredibly stupid question, I'm not good with this stuff. 

The thing is I have no idea if my computer meets the min settings, because my graphics card is a Nivida GeForce GT 220 (I think), and the min system requirements for LFD2 say that I need a Nivida 6600 or better, and 220 is clearly not as high a number as 6600. It's confusing me. 

I apologize if this is an incredibly stupid question, I'm not good with this stuff. 

Don't worry about it. You're just asking an honest question. I'm not a wiz in this stuff either. I just work what bits of knowledge I learned of this stuff here and there...

Anyway, if you do have that graphics card, then this actually works better for you because that is actually a newer model. I did a comparison between the two and the GeForce GT 220 outperforms the 6600 considerably and does pass the 8600 minimal requirement for this game. There's more to it than the numbers, but I'll admit... I forgot how that works. XD

If everything else checks out, you should be good.

• 4 weeks later...

OH CRAP! I just saw this a few minutes ago! If it wasn't for the Jesse Cox video, I wouldn't know about this deal.

Guns of Icarus Online is available in the Humble Store for 75% off! Only $3.74 for the weekend! 30% of the sales will go to Charity!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/gunsoficarusonline_storefront

This is a STEAL, Folks! GET TO IT!

• 2 weeks later...

Guns of Icarus Online Adventure Co-op Prologue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc11iGqr_fs

2014 is the target year, so this is coming sooner than I thought! Good to know!

• 3 months later...

So uh... Heh heh... Yeah! The 75% off deal has returned! This time on Steam!

http://gunsoficarus.com/blog/weekly-progress-report-592014/#more-6293

So if you want it, now's a good time to do it. It ends on May 27th! I've just check the update again on steam, it's actually set until the 27th, not May 19th!

I've been on a little bit of hiatus with this game, but recently came back to it. A lot of changes have been made in terms of polishing it up a bit.

Here's a video of the new Guns of Icarus Rumble Zone from Polaris to showcase a bit more of what the game looks like.

I'm anxious to fix up The Sky Parade with some new garbs and designs!

• 1 year later...

Here's a video made by Jontron that takes you through how the game works... and has Jon just dicking around with his teammates. If you remember his Counter Strike: GO video, it's a bit like that. 

Also, the Adventure/Alliance/Co-op mode is showing some progress. Here's a preview of it.

The game is still loads of fun as long as you have to strong team to work with. I still  play it quite a bit so I'm definitely looking forward to the new mode.