Awoo.

Sega 2014 Plans Topic (page 13) "A-Ran outta here!"

Badnik Mechanic

Ah yes, I always look forward to a new year of speculation, discoveries etc. Right now, new games aside, I'm wondering what'll get shown at the Toy Fair this month. Jazzwares seems to have gone quiet recently so it'll be interesting to see what they've got.

If Jet Set Radio 3 was unveiled then I would be sooooo happy. As for Sonic, I think that the next Sonic game will not be a main Sonic game. Probably another spinoff.

It's always good to have these sorts of threads to discuss the bread crumbs we get left to try and see if there's any sort of deeper meaning to them.

Now that I've got myself a business license, I should definitely look into attending the Licensing Expo. I wouldn't be surprised if they definitely have something regarding Boom to show off there. Biggest bummer would be the almost certain NDAs needing signing. I wouldn't mind having insider info for once, however, when I know so many others who do!

I'll be following this. Hoping they got something good for Hedgehog Day this time around.

P.P.S. Sometimes going off on one is hilarious... like last year when Aaron Webber went on a trip and tweeted photos of a Sonic Plush, and many of us were convinced they were clues to a new Sonic game... when it was actually scouting for Sonic Boom's location.

Obligatory jab about how I don't think they scouted well enough in that case. tongue.png

Got to be honest here, I'm only looking forward to see how they will clean up the crap Lost World left. Generations was a kick in the angle, but SEGA went and made another poop, throwing all kinds of gameplays in an unpolished game with terrible writing. Sure the game might be fun and fresh, but, in my vision, it was a step back. TBH, I shouldn't even care much, since it' going to be Nintendo exclusive again, so whatever to me.

Also looking forward to see what Sumo have in their sleeves.

Pretty sure SEGA will drop the bomb anywhere between Hedgehog Day and April tops. Usually they announce games around that date.

hopingitsEpisode3ehem

This year's bound to have a new All Stars title going by the pattern, and with how excellently the last two titles have done in reviews and sales.

That COULD be the Nintendo exclusive, but it could be a main title... it really depends on the wording. If it was the next three games, then an All Stars title is most likely it (unless they release two games this year, which is theoretically doable if they had Nintendo's help with development). If it was just three games, then a game in 2015 could be the third Nintendo exclusive.

We can definitely hope for a new All Stars title based on how well it did and how aggressively SEGA pushed the merch line there, I think. Personally, one reason I want to attend the licensing expo is to see exactly what they're planning with Boom: I can only imagine the sort of massive marketing push that's going to accompany it.

Yeah, I'm remembering all those pages of discussing the tiniest of things, and seriously hope all that clutter stays out of this topic so we can actually discuss the news.

And regarding the next Nintendo exclusive game, it'll be announced on a Nintendo Direct again, probably in May like the last one [but I seriously hope it's earlier].

I hope for an earlier announcement too... but in absence of news, precedent is often a good guide (unless you like Sonic conventions, but I digress). We'll just need to be patient for May, I suppose.

While I'm here, I'll mention that according to the Licensing Expo's page, the only brand SEGA America will be showcasing is, you guessed it, Sonic the Hedgehog.

Those jokes about them only caring about Sonic and no other (home grown; Total War wasn't always theirs) SEGA franchises have never seemed more accurate.

Categories are:

• Brand > Toys & Games
  • Character/Animation > Character/Animation
  • Digital Content/Gaming > Digital Content/Gaming
  • Publisher > Publisher
While their description is:

"Sonic the Hedgehog is an evergreen property shaped by over two decades of video games, animations, and merchandise across all categories. Sonic has appeared in over 60 games and currently has over 3 million Facebook fans, and he's here to stay."

So yes, cartoon-related stuff is practically a given. This is an opportunity to really branch out beyond the gamer community for Sonic, and it would be poor business not to promote it at the Expo. While SEGA often makes poor decisions, I'm confident this won't be one of them.

My prediction for 2014: Sega hires the Great Clement as their official online media executive(!)

Only kidding; I'm still curious about the new cartoon. I'd like to see if they really are going for unusual character design or if that teaser image was a red herring.

I'd like to see some more re-releases heading Steam's way. In particular Sonic Heroes (I liked it, so shush! :P) since SA2 got the re-release treatment last year. Also the final stage of Sonic Jump would be nice.

And the first game announced in 2014 is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meNE4CPtnCo

Alien Isolation.

PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Windows PC.

Oooh. I likes me some Alien, and I like that the protagonist is Ripley's briefly-mentioned daughter.

Having said that, films don't really scare me... but this looks like it would terrify the living crap out of me! :D

I'd like to see some more re-releases heading Steam's way. In particular Sonic Heroes (I liked it, so shush! tongue.png) since SA2 got the re-release treatment last year. Also the final stage of Sonic Jump would be nice.

Heroes is of course the next main game after SA2 so it will probably get re-released at some point (regardless of the shitty PS2 version being on Eu PSN). I would like to see the Advance trilogy ported - at least to mobile devices - this year.

Would also be nice to get a remastered version of S3&K on mobile devices, especially as this year is that games 20th anniversary.

There were updates to Sonic Jump on android just before Christmas, which effectively stated that they are preparing to add more content. So I think we will get the fifth 'mech' stage this year.

I would think the reason why SA1 and SA2 are not on the Wii U eShop is due to the surely likely Dreamcast support for the VC, which for all we know could be redone in HD anyway.

Now would Heroes miss Wii U due to the also (even more) likely GC support?

I highly doubt dreamcast or GC support on the VC, I don't think even the premium Wii U could hold that many games of that size in it.

I'm kinda expecting a HD Heroes port on the PSN and Xbox Live and Steam, an another SUMO title.

Hopeful for? Skies of Arcadia HD

I highly doubt dreamcast or GC support on the VC, I don't think even the premium Wii U could hold that many games of that size in it.

The Dreamcast re-releases have been around one to one and a half Gigabytes. It should be fine with them. 

San Diego Comic Con is going to be from July 24-27th.

I'd suggest its inclusion in the important dates because SEGA is a regular attendee and as far as I know senior staff are usually there. It'd be a safe bet that some more details regarding the cartoon would be divulged during SDCC, with game, film and comic information as well.

San Diego Comic Con is going to be from July 24-27th.

It shall be done.

Anyone got any other interesting dates? I bunged down the ones I could remember from last year but I know there's more.

2012 had a lot of fanfare with Sonic in Ralph and Transformed, so I'm hopeful that 2014 will likewise have a lot of fanfare with the new cartoon and whatever spinoff Sumo likely throws out. At least, that's my experience from Boom 2012.

So I'm optimistic this Hedgehog Day will be better than the last, the fact SEGA didn't seem to know what it was doing in 2013 aside.

International SEGA Trolling Day. Aka Hedgehog Day.

Red herring.

Oh bloody hell, that was so annoying last year. People either donned their tinfoil hats and thought it was some mega conspiracy, or had no idea what 'red herring' meant and completely ignored everyone who said that it meant there was no news. Good grief...

I'm gunna guess Hedgehog Day will give us some Sonic Boom news and a brief teaser. Probably announce that the final Nintendo exclusive game is a tie-in with Boom too, a side game.

Fingers crossed for Skies of Arcadia HD and perhaps a Shenmue I & II HD, as Sega never really went that far with the whole "Sega Heritage" range, couple of Dreamcast (or rather ex-PC versions of) games and only two Saturn games as far as the remasters in HD went.

My real New Years wish would be a new 2D Sonic done by Stealth/Tax but I realize from the hints dropped that remastered Sonic 3, perhaps 3K is next. My favorite Sonic game, so either way I'm happy :)

I'd hope for a Summer of Sonic or Sonic Boom (the con) announcement but... I'm not holding my breath on the latter. Good possibility for the former given the problems SoS and SEGA had with each other last year.

I'm hopeful for even something small related to the cartoon. I guess it'd depend on how soon Cartoon Network tends to show stuff related to shows that aren't airing yet.

I really wish SEGA gave Hedgehog Day more precedence. It'd be nice to have a guaranteed news day that wasn't in the Summer.

Sonic Boom itself will also be a news day in all likelihood, but there's no telling when or where that'll be.

• Thumbs Up 1