Awoo.

What phone do you have?

root08

its a Black berry that is cracked, I'm just used to saying it I guess Lol .  Sometimes I say CrapBerry, either way, the phone is messed up and it's shit, luckily I got a new phone, finally and plays youtube vids nice in HD, plays music nice. its great so far.7

Can I ask? What is a CrackBerry? Is it a BlackBerry that is cracked? Or a hacked BlackBerry or...

Its literally just a nickname for all Blackberry phones. The joke comes the fact that most businessmen used to take them everywhere they went, checking them constantly for updates/emails/etc (as is now common in the smartphone age, but wasn't so back then to non-blackberry users) without any actual time away from it or their business affairs. Basically, a "drug like addiction".

I use an HTC one. Its a pretty decent phone, and I don't think I could go backwards from 1080p on a 5 inch screen now that I've experienced it in all its glory.

I have an iPhone 5 that I've had for about a year at this point. It has been an alright phone. I used to have Blackberries before this one, this being the first iPhone I've ever had. The iPhone is better to me, though I can't customize the ringtones like I could on the Blackberry. On there I had every person with a different sonic ring tone. I got this one and it says you aren't allowed to have any music for ringtones unless it comes from the itunes stores, so I was a bit bummed about that. I'm enjoying getting to mess around the apps I can look at from time to time though.

My dad finally got to me and persuaded me to switch from an iPhone 4s to an HTC One. I like the thing quite a bit, actually -- the only feature I can say I miss is the podcasting app by virtue of the fact that Doubletwist Mobile (which I had to buy), despite being an otherwise great playback application, doesn't allow me to play episodes in reverse order. This is a problem for me because I love long-winded history podcasts (especially Mike Duncan's "History of Rome Podcast"). The front facing speakers are also a pretty cool feature. It's a well made device.

I also have the perspective of being a developer -- I appreciate Apple's insistence on basing their SDK on C, because the apps tend to have a much lower overhead than their Android counterparts -- being written in Java, and also being attached to a somewhat bloated API. However, objective-C is awful IMHO -- as Edsger Dijkstra said of COBOL, it cripples the mind, and it offers no semantic improvement over C/C++ -- and with Kit-Kat, Google is getting pretty serious about dealing with their bloat and device fragmentation issues, as well as making the interface look a whole lot better than it used to. Java is beginning to be Google's ace in the hole, since apps are way easier to write and maintain with that than with Apple's special flavor of C. Apple still has a design edge, but they're going to need to get moving on new stuff quickly if they want to stay out in front of the competition -- especially with the wearable technology around the corner.

• Thumbs Up 1

I inherited a silver 1999 Nokia model from my mother. The only use that I have of a mobile phone is for handling calls, voicemails, texts, and occasionally for some photography. Therefore, this model suits me just fine.

I just don't understand all of this hype about zillions of apps and snapchats and vines. They're all utterly pointless to me...

I mean, as a 29-yearold or 30-yearold, I can't imagine myself sending goofy vines and snapchats to prospective employers and expect to get appreciated or paid for doing something that any little child could do.

Therefore, I don't even bother to look for a more modern type of phone.

The only real drawback of the model I use is the keyboard. Typing texts compulsively can make my thumbs hurt sometimes.

Meh.

Snapchat and Vine are toys. The value of a smartphone is that it does many of the things people used to require a computer to do effectively -- such as email, telepresence, etc... without the need to be at your desk to use it. Younger people use things like Snapchat and Vine more frequently than older people (which is why that company was valued so highly: it's all the data they have on the behavior of young people and the connections between them) precisely because they aren't weighed down by other responsibilities. Older people are now increasing their presence on Facebook, but that's entirely beyond the point.

I mean, as a 29-yearold or 30-yearold, I can't imagine myself sending goofy vines and snapchats to prospective employers and expect to get appreciated or paid for doing something that any little child could do.

Therefore, I don't even bother to look for a more modern type of phone.

You should compare apples to apples here, do you ever use LinkedIn? It depends on what area your career is in, but LinkedIn is a service that lives predominantly in the mobile sector, and its purpose is to broaden its users' employment opportunities. Do you think your ability to be hired would be helped by an active presence on a site like that? That's a much more relevant question.

Its literally just a nickname for all Blackberry phones. The joke comes the fact that most businessmen used to take them everywhere they went, checking them constantly for updates/emails/etc (as is now common in the smartphone age, but wasn't so back then to non-blackberry users) without any actual time away from it or their business affairs. Basically, a "drug like addiction".

Yep! I remember when Blackberry was huge in the business world. Were you a business person using e-mail on the go? Blackberry. Did you work in the news industry waiting for notifications on stories? Blackberry. It was the thing everyone used before the iPhone took off.

Anyway, my phone is an iPhone 5. I saw no compelling reason to upgrade to a 5c or 5s, so I'm going to wait until the next one comes out and see what that brings. Like anything, it's far from perfect, but I'm satisfied with it. I especially love iMessage and Facetime to keep in contact with friends and family who live far away from me.

I have an iPhone 5 that I've had for about a year at this point. It has been an alright phone. I used to have Blackberries before this one, this being the first iPhone I've ever had. The iPhone is better to me, though I can't customize the ringtones like I could on the Blackberry. On there I had every person with a different sonic ring tone. I got this one and it says you aren't allowed to have any music for ringtones unless it comes from the itunes stores, so I was a bit bummed about that. I'm enjoying getting to mess around the apps I can look at from time to time though.

There's a way to set ringtones in iTunes to be anything you want. Its pretty straight foward, though I forget the exact process of it. I'll look it up for you sometime.

An iPhone 5, which I've had for a year now. Much nicer than my old iPhone 3GS and has an amazing camera on it.

Yeah yeah call me a hipster all you want. XP

My phone is some Uniden phone. My mobile is Nokia E71 (I might have another Nokia or something as well)... but I don't care about it and it just sits on the shelf in its box all the time - if it were to disappear one day, I wouldn't care, as I never use it.
My laptop is the most useful thing in my life - I'm on it pretty much all day every day.

iphone 4. Just a regular one. On the bright side, I have this totally boss iphone case that makes it look like a gameboy. I actually tricked my friends into thinking it's one.