Awoo.

Sonics future

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I wrote a thread about this on Sega forums and I want to get opinions here. I dont know where to put this my concerns. Im worried about the franchise and mostly Sonic. Sonic the character. Sometimes I over weird with it but I do worry about Sonics future. Because ....

Sonic Team gives him more moves and development because he was the only one playable now. Now we can see his potenchal (?) and what he can do. He can walk on walls and run on them which is a shinobi move in one game. In another game he can use wisps to explore areas you cant get without them and speaking the wisps it shows that he can be trusted because... the wisps allow him to use such powers. So we see a little personality to. We also get to play a game where we see acrobatic shinobi mix like Sonic in the day and then a more combat Street Fight ish Sonic at night. Another game we get to see Sonic play like his classic days but with a fun modern touch. And the game after that we get to see him and Tails work together and create moves that can be combine.

I dont know but other Sonic games with playable friends didnt give us this Sonic but they gave us one people would call dull and now only play Sonic games for his friends forgetting about Sonic. Thats why I like Sonic-only games. Because I get to see just how amazing he can be without being outshined by anyone else.

Im dont want to be mean but this series is called Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic is the main character. Damn, give Sonic sometime to be a star, he deserves it! He deserves to be awesome like everyone else. I know hes amazing but man people, let the guy be amazing for a couple of games. Im dont wanna be angry but I dont like seeing my favorite character get shoved in the background :*(

Now the demand for more is there. Is Sonic going to be shoved in the background like he was before Sonic Unleashed?

Oh and I also want to say:

I dont hate other characters!!! Why do you think that I do? All I said was that Im worried about my favorite character just as everyones worried about theirs. I never say no one matters. Of course they matter!! They are Sonics friends!! Why wouldnt they matter? They help Sonic alot!

My worry is Sonic never got the development he needed while his friends did when they were playable. Sonic never learned anything he never gain anything or had anything to show off the personality traits other than free spirit like.... his heart?! Like when I say Sonic should had talk to Shadow, I say it because it has the heart for it but he can use it to better himself and learn to understand others. Sometimes Sonic doesnt understand and its good for him to gain that. but they used this to develop another character with that trait of Sonics and others as well got development, even Shadow even Eggman got development.

In Shadow the Hedgehog, he was annoying hyperactive teenaged Charmy character but he tried to show traits that made him amazing. Like his heart and his worry for Shadow. But it never got developed in the game. But its a Shadow game not a Sonic game.

I love Sonic 2006 alot! Sonic was amazing in that game! But Sonics light didnt shine as bright as Shadows or Silvers or Elise.

Now Sonics light shines in these games because they focus on him and what makes him amazing. I dont hate friends but I want more development for Sonic and I want to see him treated like the heart of the franchise he is. And hes finally getting it.

Honestly I would say your concern is a little out of date, for the past 4 (primary) games Sonic has been the ONLY playable character, and honestly that in part has kept them from using the additional characters properly. Sonic has had more than enough time in the spotlight, and there are many ways to bring back the other characters, even as playable, or in support roles without overshadowing. Multiplayer with multiple characters would be Much more satisfactory than what we had in lost world, which why not bad was made boring by having only sonics and no diversity

So to sum it all off, at this point sonic has had more than enough time by itself, and SEGAs decision to use no-one else is honestly hurting the games rather than helping it by taking the diversity and fun out of the game, part of the fun of sonic games is having multiple play styles, and other people to work and play with different skills and abilities to mix things up, and wisps are an extremely poor and half baked substitute

• Thumbs Up 4

It's these games that I kinda like cause they're kinda fun and have some rad music... Oh and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is an awesome cartoon.

EDIT: WAIT I AM JUST NOW REALIZING THAT I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG THREAD, THIS WAS MEANT FOR THE "WHAT IS THE SONIC FRANCHISE TO YOU THREAD," OH I A FEEL LIKE A STUPID HEAD

my concerns should be gone now that I am happy that I see more Sonic in these games. But now fans want more that they want their favorites to be the same level of main character like Sonic (like Shadow in his game) and they will never be. Im afraid Sega will do that when they add more playable friends.

So my worry is still there. Its strange to you and annoying but I dont like seeing my favorite characters get their light down.

I'm sorry, but I agree with Mando here. Your complaint is a bit out of date. It's been close to a decade since Sonic's been the only playable character. I think we're long overdue for some added spice and variety by adding other playable characters. I'm not asking for an 06-type situation where there's a cluster fuck of 9 playable characters with incredibly different gameplay styles. God no.

Sonic Team should start small, adding Tails, Knuckles, and (*grinds teeth*) MAYBE Amy since it's quite obvious Sonic Team considers this the main cast at this point, aside from our loveable villain Dr. Eggman. Playable characters don't have to be shoved down our throats, but why not have everyone unlocked from the start so you can play the game however you want? I don't want anything close to "you need to beat the game 4 times to get a last story." I would rather each character gets an exclusive story with their own development and time to shine. Think Sonic Adventure, but every character has similar gameplay of trying to get to the goal ring(Sonic is the fastest, Tails can fly, Knuckles glides, Amy.... uh, hard mode? 

I don't think Sonic Team is playing it safe exactly, Lost World is pure evidence of that after the Boost formula was such a success. I just think it's time to get over sheer paranoia of "shitty friends" and make them playable.

• Thumbs Up 4

i know my complaint expire wwww but I still have a right to be worried since fans want their favorites to be better than Sonic and Sega listens...

The only thing I'm particularly worried about concerning the future of Sonic's character which I have been voicing a few times is whether or not his personality is going to degenerate more as a result of the writing from Colours onwards i.e Him becoming more and more flanderized and reduced to a Knuckles gullibility-esque level of continuous impulsiveness that may dominate him. Only time will tell.

Whilst I'm not outright worried if Boom portrays him badly as it's ultimately a different continuity to the games, It'd still be somewhat disappointing and I wish that if Boom does anything bad with Sonic, the show doesn't influence the games version of the character for the worse.

I've felt for a while that the problem with Sonic is that his either underutilized or too much focus is put upon him and it's not often that there's been a middle ground. Sonic completely unreasonably shunted out of prominence in games like '06 and yet is the complete center of attention gameplay-wise since 2007 and now as of 2010 is the center of attention in the stories. Where the heck is the balance with this character's utilization? I sure as hell haven't seen much of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

why cant I be a good Sonic fan like you? or just shut up about Sonic being treated badly? Why cant i??

why cant I be a good Sonic fan like you? or just shut up about Sonic being treated badly? Why cant i??

Hey now, there's no need to put yourself down over a simple opinion. There's really no such thing as a "good" and "bad" Sonic fan, remember no one is going to share the exact same view point. You're clearly passionate over what you believe, and that's the joy of any message board: not every single person is going to exactly agree. I don't see what's so bad in how you presented your argument, I just happen to disagree.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey now, there's no need to put yourself down over a simple opinion. There's really no such thing as a "good" and "bad" Sonic fan, remember no one is going to share the exact same view point. You're clearly passionate over what you believe, and that's the joy of any message board: not every single person is going to exactly agree. I don't see what's so bad in how you presented your argument, I just happen to disagree.

I like to discuss because I get to see others opinions. Sometimes I am shy and unsure but once I want to say something I say it.

I dont hate Sonics friends. I think that making them playable again will put Sonic back in the background when I finally got to see his amazing traits

• Thumbs Up 4

You honestly have no need to worry, it's very likely that while they still try to establish a working 3D formula for Sonic they're not going to shine the spotlight elsewhere anytime soon. Sonic's friends haven't been playable in a mainstream 3D game since 2006. 

Sonic's had plenty of time to shine recently. He just hasn't got the gameplay to show for it.

I like to discuss because I get to see others opinions. Sometimes I am shy and unsure but once I want to say something I say it.

I dont hate Sonics friends. I think that making them playable again will put Sonic back in the background when I finally got to see his amazing traits

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my post. It wasn't entirely directed at you, but it annoys me that a lot of people outside the general fanbase are quick to be dismissive when other Sonic characters appear and are never playable. The whole attitude and perception of Sonic's friends that so many people can't get over after nearly 10 years annoys me, but I understand what you're talking about.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hes now got amazing gameplay now that hes the only one playable. He can walk on walls like a shinobi, he can use the wisps to explore, and he can combine moves with Tails. Sonic wasnt this amazing in gameplay when his friends were playable. Now he is. Do you undertand why I want more solo Sonic?

Hes now got amazing gameplay now that hes the only one playable. He can walk on walls like a shinobi, he can use the wisps to explore, and he can combine moves with Tails. Sonic wasnt this amazing in gameplay when his friends were playable. Now he is. Do you undertand why I want more solo Sonic?

I guess that's something we'll have to agree to disagree on. It's a fair view point and I won't begrudge you for it. Quality of Sonic games with or without Sonic's friends are subjective, but I see where you're coming from. For instance, I enjoy Modern Sonic games post 06, and they only feature Sonic as the playable character. (Generations is my favorite Sonic game, and it's technically only Sonic you're playing as). I just feel Sonic's friends have potential and could be utilized in a better light.

I guess that's something we'll have to agree to disagree on. It's a fair view point and I won't begrudge you for it. Quality of Sonic games with or without Sonic's friends are subjective, but I see where you're coming from. For instance, I enjoy Modern Sonic games post 06, and they only feature Sonic as the playable character. (Generations is my favorite Sonic game, and it's technically only Sonic you're playing as). I just feel Sonic's friends have potential and could be utilized in a better light.

I understand. I love all the modern games except for Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Chronicles. I think Sonics friends can be awesome without taking the light away from Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's nothing remotely amazing about Sonic's character in his solo games besides in Unleashed and the Storybook titles, if anything it's proof that SEGA don't know how to write his character and instead fumble on and make him just as flat and boring as the rest of the neglected cast, as the series flag pole character it doesn't bode well for the series when they can't even write Sonic decently.

I'm sorry but I hate the direction the series is taking at this point, and honestly past caring for it any more, I stick around for the community these days after SLW being the final nail in the coffin for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Sonic's personality development suffers a lot from his being a mascot. Since he has to represent SEGA, they have to be more cautious with him than with other characters; it's no wonder that the other characters very often can be more interesting than Sonic himself.

A lot of it also has to do with the lack of SEGA for caring about its own continuity. Going for simpler stories is not an excuse to break links between games; frankly I'm amazed they had Generations reference Colors at all. Given that it was meant to pay homage to 20 years, however, it's kind of cheating.

SEGA needs to fill Sonic Team with people who care about ensuring continuity, both in terms of plot elements and in personalities. It won't fix a lot of the franchise's problems, but it'd be a good start.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's nothing remotely amazing about Sonic's character in his solo games besides in Unleashed and the Storybook titles, if anything it's proof that SEGA don't know how to write his character and instead fumble on and make him just as flat and boring as the rest of the neglected cast, as the series flag pole character it doesn't bode well for the series when they can't even write Sonic decently.

Im probably a broken record at this point but this is kinda exactly how I felt about Sonic back in the Unleashed days, a bland, rather generic character that doesn't really have any flaws about him (doesn't even care that he's turned into a giant furry Werehog) and has a pure heart and is always right and blah blah blah you get the idea. I know Pontac has gotten pretty unpopular around here nowadays but I really do feel they taken steps necessary to have Sonic's character be a lot more down to earth, acting like he has a bit of spark in him, have some character deficiencies and more of a fun loving personality in general. Unless things get really serious everything is just one big game to him and thats honestly the kind of Sonic I can get behind personally. Not saying he has to be a giant goof ball all of the time, but as his general de-facto personality I certainly don't mind it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I disagree because Sonic has shown these traits in his alone games:

-his heart
-his speed
-his acrobatic skills
-his boost
-his ablity to inspire other characters
-his ablity to see good in most characters
-his love of freedom
-his way of worrying for his friends
-his develpment
-his humor
-protective

And now we get to see more of it. I started with Sonic 2006 and I always thought Sonic was amazing. No other character could ever be as amazing, heroric, humble and brave like Sonic. I see these traits more in Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic the Lost World and he learned something.

I dont mind other playables but fans do place their favorites on the same level of main hero as Sonic and they could never be.

I disagree because Sonic has shown these traits in his alone games:

-his heart

-his speed

-his acrobatic skills

-his boost

-his ablity to inspire other characters

-his ablity to see good in most characters

-his love of freedom

-his way of worrying for his friends

-his develpment

-his humor

-protective

Typical hero traits for Sonic, your point is?

Heart - Typical Hero stuff, all Hero's have heart for what they do, saving the day.

Speed - Get rid of speed, you lose his identity so this is pretty much a given anyway you slice it.

Acrobatic Skills - Naturally comes with an agile, fleet footed character, again nothing special.

Boost - Isn't a series staple, it's one of the many things SEGA introduced when experimenting with gameplay, SLW doesn't have boost?

Inspire - Please tell me who Sonic has inspired since 2009's Black Knight with Merlina? This isn't the adventure days where he inspired Tails to believe in himself (lol) 

see good in other characters - Again a typical hero trait, a hero will always believe there is good in someone until proven otherwise .

Freedom - Comes with being a super sonic hedgehog, for someone so fast, you can't hold him down no matter how hard you try, he's as free as the wind as he literally puts it.

Worrying about friends - More Hero trait stuff, standard one-o-one for hero centric characters with friends.

Development - Lol, what development? Becoming a cheesy cringeworthy joker, that doesn't attain for his actions when causing a massive fuck up? Entirely down to the writers, it was handled poorly by both them and Roger in SLW, honestly progression of emotion in that game was abysmal for what Sonic had to deal with, and for someone who cares so much about his friends, he did a grand job at the end of the game by walking straight past them.

Humour - No, just... No this isn't even a viable option any more, it's cringe worthy at best, and I get Sonic is aimed at a younger audience, but even my 10 year old sister at the time hated Sonic in Colours, as well as everyone in my family, and that hasn't changed much in SLW, Sonic's jokey dialogue is still awful.

Protective - Hero trait, always willing to protect the weak.

Sonic is just a cookie-cut typical hero to me, nothing major stands out about his character except how he was handled in Unleashed and the Story book games, he barely had any substance to begin with, but now it's entirely gone out the window with the new direction the series is taking with it's stories and characterization of it's cast.

I dont mind other playables but fans do place their favorites on the same level of main hero as Sonic and they could never be.

I'm also sorry to add but this is strictly just your bias for preferring Sonic over the rest of the cast.

• Thumbs Up 2

is not my biased. Ive seen people want their favorite characters like Shadow when he was the new main character.

Whats wrong with me thinking Sonic is amazing? Nobody has to like him I respect all opinions but I cant think the guy is awesome without people saying im crazy, bias, or defensive and I dont understand why.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is ok to love Sonic, but wanting him to be the only playable character in the series is merely your own preference only, people get attached to characters more than other characters in the cast, which in turn creates a fanbase for those people who want to see more from that Character, the difference with Sonic is he's the flagpole mascot of the series and no matter where they go with the series Sonic will never not be the face of it, nor will SEGA ever place Sonic lower than any of the cast unless we're talking spin-off titles, so honestly your worries are completely baffling when the series is so much more than just "Sonic" He has friends, Enemies and a whole verse of colourful characters that deserve to be in the limelight just as much as Sonic, and you'd be hard pressed not to find people who agree either.

Think he's awesome all you want, but he's merely a piece to a bigger puzzle.

• Thumbs Up 6

I dont think its all about Sonic. I just want more Sonic and I know this is my thoughts im not saying its fact. And I have other favorite characters that are not Sonic.

Having other characters playable doesn't mean Sonic will automatically have a ratio of screen time and importance that's comparable to the secondary characters. Black Knight got along just fine with three other playables.

We can have our cake and eat it on this one too; I promise.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to have to concur with the others, Sonic-chan (that's how your name is pronounced, right?), that your fears about Sonic getting overshadowed are honestly 8 years out of date. Sonic has been the only playable character all the way until today, and in the process has gotten nearly all of the spotlight, not to mention gathered way more awesome moves and abilities to himself more than every other playable character before has gotten combined, while every other character has gotten exactly zero.

From what I see, fans of Sonic the character have gotten just about everything they could ever ask for already since 06, at least when it comes to gameplay, while fans of other characters have gotten nothing but token appearances at best. And the idea that other characters being playable will take away all the glory from Sonic is ridiculous - it's not like giving others a few abilities or a few more minutes of meaningful screentime will mean Sonic will get less of either. It's not like there is some arbitrary space or length limit or anything. Frankly, it sounds very similar to the irrational fear of 'Sonic's shitty friends' out there, and therefore one I cannot relate to at all.

There's also one thing I'd like to ask:

I love Sonic 2006 alot! Sonic was amazing in that game! But Sonics light didnt shine as bright as Shadows or Silvers or Elise.

I'm genuinely confused by your statement here. There's nothing wrong liking 06, but it seems rather contradictory that you state you like it a lot when it commits the very sin you are afraid of, that is, making Sonic too much of a minor character.

All that being said, given Sonic Team's incompetence and lack of experience handling multiple characters properly since SA1 or S3, I wouldn't be surprised if when they do try it again your fears actually come true.

• Thumbs Up 2