Awoo.

Display Name Editing is Bugging Out

SenEDDtor Missile

Okay, you all know about the Display Name Function, and how we use it to change our names to suit either the situations on the board, or simply for our own amusement.

Well, I tried to change back to Ed Missile today, and it doesn't work. It continually keeps claiming that my username choice is invalid, DESPITE the fact that my choice doesn't violate the rules that continually shows up in the error message. Is this just me, or is this a major bug?

post-2255-0-52107700-1390626653_thumb.jp

• Thumbs Up 2

Completely intended and was introduced within the last 48 hours to combat the names including (sometimes exclusively) symbols and sorts. I'll try and work out a solution for spaces when I have time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Completely intended and was introduced within the last 48 hours to combat the names including (sometimes exclusively) symbols and sorts. I'll try and work out a solution for spaces when I have time.

Mind if I ask why? I've noticed that symbols can break parts of the forum (notably, status update comments), but as far as I know, display names don't cause this to happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I have noticed that some Japanese Kanji can completely currupt a status if its not removed quick. I'm guessing those same symbols can do something whacky to the usernames right?

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't think this justified it's own topic, and it sorta falls under this issue.

The profiles aren't using the Sonic letters for "________ the hedgehog"

IyPPUTz.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't think this justified it's own topic, and it sorta falls under this issue.

The profiles aren't using the Sonic letters for "________ the hedgehog"

That's an issue on your end; I can see the correct image on your profile (I am using Firefox 26.0).

• Thumbs Up 1

That's an issue on your end; I can see the correct image on your profile (I am using Firefox 26.0).

I am using Firefox as well yet the issue is happening to me too.

• Thumbs Up 2

...Are hyphens out the door too?

I don't believe so.  We're moreso referring to foreign symbols or symbols that require some kind of coding to input.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's the hope, yes.

Apologies if this was answered already (Akito mentioned searching, but only indirectly), but why exactly are special characters being banned from display names?

Not that I ever intended to use them as of right now, but I'm curious nonetheless.

As a side note, if it's possible, special characters should be banned from status updates, as they can render the comments permanently inaccessible (short of editing the database).

• Thumbs Up 1

To my knowledge it's just a general convenience thing.  For one, it makes searching for members a lot easier, and as mentioned before, it has a tendency to make things bonkers. ^^;

• Thumbs Up 3