Awoo.

Jimquisition "Garme Jurrnalizm!"

Badnik Mechanic

I've got a lot of respect for the guy, I mean, he doesn't take shit from anyone, and genuinely says what he thinks. Yeah, you might not completely agree with what he says, but the guy is completely honest.

At a time where bribes and the like are commonplace, a proper individual opinion is refreshing and needed.

Also, entertainment, y'know.

Jim Sterling doesn't deserve respect for being honest. That sounds similar to the logic of "nice guys" who think that they deserve admiration just for being nice. Being nice or honest are things that we would ordinarily expect from people, not things that deserve awards or praise for.

The thing is, though, Jim Sterling isn't always honest. A lot of his opinions and reviews are written just to troll the shit out of people.

• Thumbs Up 1

His videos generally touch on ares of the gaming industry that are left in the dark. A lot of what he talks about I don't see discussed anywhere else, and, like hogfather, I agree with pretty much everything he says.

Can't think of any videos of his off the top of my head that I actively disagreed with.

Thank god for him.

Jim Sterling doesn't deserve respect for being honest. That sounds similar to the logic of "nice guys" who think that they deserve admiration just for being nice. Being nice or honest are things that we would ordinarily expect from people, not things that deserve awards or praise for.

While I agree with you on the "nice guy" thing...I must say that the world we live in now people expect you to be a piece of shit first before thinking you are a nice person.

The reason why people get "respect" for it is because we live in a world that not so nice and honest. People like that are a dime a dozen. Your not exactly entitled to deserve anything, but earning that respect and admiration over time is still viable.

A "nice guy" who is "nice" only to gain things in return is actually not a nice guy, hence why these people are instead called "assholes." However, there are people who are genuinely nice out of the goodness of their hearts and at the very least deserve respect for doing good for goodness' sake. Same with honesty; why brush off morally good people- or people who do good things- because "that's what we're supposed to do?" It's just called giving credit where it's due.

Anyway, I enjoy Jimquisition well enough. I feel he has an exceptional knack for laying things out in the open, whether that be explaining concepts unique to gaming, highlighting certain controversies, or taking the industry and sects of the public to task, all in an easily-understood way with the added plus of random pictures of shrimp (seriously, why does he use shrimp pictures?) I've learned a little bit from watching the series, and I feel it does a good job in also highlighting his passion for the medium and humanizing him beyond a few reviews people continue to hang over his head. While I used to be put off by his character in the series, it's played up to such a cheesy manner that it has become endearing in an eye-roll sort of way. Overall, the show's a Monday staple for me.

• Thumbs Up 5

Overall, he's the type of person who sees no problem with lying, exaggerating, and/or making mass generalizations if it satisfies his personal biases, especially if he thinks that it will anger a group of people and/or draw more attention to himself. For an example of what I mean, look at this article

Are you being serious with this? 

I've just read that article and I really don't see a problem with it? The Microsoft dev he's quoting is certainly doing the PR exaggeration, so why not throw it back? And even then he says 'That's according to...' and he's then quoted the actual quote which is utterly ludicrous and has since been proven utterly ludicrous given the design of the Xbox One controller.

Also, I don't see how he's wrong with what he wrote either, that article was written in 2010, when Kinect was still being called Natal... and the biggest bit of the article is this quote...

"Imagine a sporting event. Natal could know which team you're for because it sees your jersey, or knows you thought a bad call was made when you yell 'boo.' It learns about you and gets smarter to create a more tailored entertainment experience."

The original kinect cannot even tell how many fingers are on your hand (no really, it can't it stops the skeletal structure at your wrist)  it sure as hell can't tell what team you support based on your clothes! Otherwise if Liverpool fans tuned in to watch Liverpool Vs Manchester United, the Kinect would probably say 'Oh I see you support Manchester United!' It can't do any of those things which the developer said it could and would do.

He's absolutely right with that article in every respect. It's just shy of 4 years since he wrote that, what part of it is wrong?

Your accusations of lying with the 'microsoft believes you think' 

When the dev is describing The quote is...

"if you counted the number of buttons in your living room, it would send a chill down your spine."

That isn't lying, thats what's being said, he's a developer and in turn a rep of microsoft, I don't know about anyone else, but I've yet to have a panic attack over the number of buttons on my various controllers?

I didn't say anything about brushing anybody off, so please stop trying to change the meaning of what I wrote before.

You literally said this:

Being nice or honest are things that we would ordinarily expect from people, not things that deserve awards or praise for.

Under your own words, nice or honest people do not necessarily deserve reward or praise for being nice or honest because "we would ordinarily expect that from people," e.g., there's nothing particularly noteworthy about being nice or honest. If true, this statement implicitly validates the idea that others should subsequently not give reward or praise to said people. I consider this brushing good people off.

That being said, even if you believe that people deserve respect just for being honest, you still haven't acknowledged the fact that Jim Sterling hasn't always been honest, much less fair or impartial. And even in some cases when he has been honest (such as in the days when he hated feminism and said disrespectful things about women), it's not as if the opinions that he was being honest about were always respectable.

Overall, he's the type of person who sees no problem with lying, exaggerating, and/or making mass generalizations if it satisfies his personal biases, especially if he thinks that it will anger a group of people and/or draw more attention to himself. For an example of what I mean, look at this article. It starts out immediately with Jim Sterling lying by saying that Marc Whitten said that "you think" such and such, when he obviously said no such thing. He's making things up and putting words in someone's mouth for the sake of distorting reality to the way that suits his personal biases. I can't believe that anyone would call this honest, respectable journalism.

Let's ignore the blatant fact that this is an opinion piece and in no way presents itself as objective reporting (which in and of itself is not an arbiter for a person's honesty either). This is part of Whitten's quote:

If you counted the number of buttons in your living room, it would send a chill down your spine.... A lot of people can play games amazingly well, but others feel locked out if games involve a bunch of triggers and buttons.

It is not misleading or a lie to make a clearly comedic exaggeration that Microsoft was trying to sell the idea that buttons could be overwhelming, especially since that's actually what they were doing for Kinect- a buttonless device. This isn't proof of your claims that he is notoriously dishonest; it sounds more like you have a problem with the way he conducts himself online. If nothing else, I'd rather you find proof of his misogynistic statements, and only because it would be so interesting to find out that a raging woman-hater has suddenly become a prominent champion for women's representation in gaming.

It's lying and putting words into someone else's mouth, not to mention it's heavily spun, biased reporting.

The microsoft developer says...

"if you counted the number of buttons in your living room, it would send a chill down your spine."

Jim sterling says...

Microsoft believes you think

Which part of it is lying?

The microsoft developer believes if we count the number of buttons in our living rooms... it will make us frightened... in other words... Microsoft thinks we're scared of buttons on remote controls...

So again, exactly which part of this is lying, or being bias for that matter?

That's a seriously weak defense.

So is your response considering the length of the argument and all the points against your claims of lying and bias that you've selectively chosen to ignore.

Have you actually watched any episodes of this show? Because I really don't think you have given what you're saying here.

• Thumbs Up 1

The part which is lying is when Jim Sterling claims that "Microsoft believes you think", "OH NO THE BUTTONS! SO MANY BUTTONS TO PRESS! AN INVENTION AS OLD AS TECHNOLOGY ITSELF AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE IT!"

That was never actually said by the person from Microsoft, so it is a lie. Furthermore, the exaggerated tone of the lie (being in all caps with exclamation points) communicates a clear feeling of bias;

Or in this case; sarcasm. Which you probably missed when you flew off the handle in pants shitting rage over a satire article from 4 years ago.

Furthermore, the exaggerated tone of the lie (being in all caps with exclamation points) communicates a clear feeling of bias;

No... it communicates sarcasm based on a microsoft developer saying that people are frightened of an overload of buttons...

Which is what was said.

How does it being sarcasm refute my claim of it containing bias? =P

Because bias is being completely against something by discounting/ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

Whereas sarcasm is mocking what has been said. He has to have understood what has been said otherwise he wouldn't have been able to mock it.

Which is what is happening here. Bias and lying, as you claim would be an article which didn't include the developers full quote and making up quotes. Which isn't the case here. The full developer quote is included, along with the context of which it was said, that being the promotion of kinect.

Which I might add, doesn't do anything that the developer is claiming.

So you're telling me that this "Jim Sterling" is a human, and not some sort of emotionless robot?

How does it being sarcasm refute my claim of it containing bias? =P

Because there's no "bias" in there, unless you can find another article where a another company does the same thing with the same PR and Jim praises it completely I'd rather just ignore your use of the word "bias" in the wrong context.

You know what?

I feel bad for having spent so much time earlier focusing on things that are negative, rather than focusing on the things in life that I like and enjoy. So, my apologies to you guys. I really shouldn't have done that.

So now we're back to adoring Sterling again? Let me know when we decide (again) that his journalistic integrity is just him being an asshole to troll people.

• Thumbs Up 1

So now we're back to adoring Sterling again? Let me know when we decide (again) that his journalistic integrity is just him being an asshole to troll people.

Yeah people have a tendency to wildly change their opinions on the guy.

1 week people praise the dude the next week he is panned. Its kinda silly because I'm sure he is not being 100% serious with any of his videos. Yes that means his stand  with women in gaming too.

Kinda reminds me about how politicians speak to the general public...say some rather harsh things that might piss people off and follow it with something that most people will agree on for the sake of keeping his/her word respectable...when reaaally they just don't care. XD (exaggeration)

I wouldn't say that the points he makes in the Jimquisition series aren't genuine, whether they're presented straightforwardly or indirectly through the use of heavy sarcasm. It's true that he himself is silly in the live-action bits, but I don't think playing a character really discredits the validity of his points. Frankly, I thought all the hoo-hah about him originated from the score he gave Sonic Colors which I don't have a problem with anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought all the hoo-hah about him originated from the score he gave Sonic Colors which I don't have a problem with anymore.

More the fact that he had to be incredibly condescending while doing it. "I don't like this game" and "anybody who likes this game is a horrible person" are two wildly different statements

More the fact that he had to be incredibly condescending while doing it. "I don't like this game" and "anybody who likes this game is a horrible person" are two wildly different statements

Thing is, the people who liked that game were really horrible. The absolutely ripped at him for the score, and I'm pretty sure he knew that would happen, cause it happens every damn time.