Awoo.

Jimquisition "Garme Jurrnalizm!"

Badnik Mechanic

I remember the days of expansion packs: back when $20 could add a whole new game on top of your game. I miss those days.

I can say I'm fine with this. Kickstarter has produced some shitter, but there's some legit gold there.

Out of all the Jim Sterling videos I've watched, I think of this one being my favorite.

It's an older one, and he's wearing short sleeves in it, but he tackles the subject with spot on accuracy and it really helped me see videogames in a new light - particularly that pretty graphics are a nice enhancer, but ultimately are meaningless if the game gives me nothing to connect with and dull, uninspired gameplay. This video inspired me to take a look back at older games such as the Thief series, and the first two games in that series is as good as videogames can get in my opinion.

It really just helped me to rethink my stances on what I look for in a game and I've been able to get more enjoyment out of videogames because of that. I didn't see it for the first time as soon as it came out because he was still relatively unknown at the time, but I've been following Sterling ever since I saw it, agree or disagree.

I still don't understand how the gaming community has gotten to the point that this equivocation with a hyper-realistic style and emotive depth was even ever a thing in the first place. It's like, is the only thing you do actually play games? Have you never partook in any other media in your life?

The thing about gaming, though, is that it's a very young medium in comparison to anything it can be compared to. Filmmaking is about two centuries old, theatre even older than that, and I don't even want to know how far back the concept of literature originated. Videogames, depending on your definition, aren't much older than fifty years. While gaming can derive some standards from other media, the standards of the media itself haven't had quite as long to develop, and with it the audiences innate to them. So the fact that both sides are floundering around with fads and gimmicks in lieu of inspired, objectively good design isn't terribly surprising.

The fact that most runaway successes these days are due more to brute forcing with advertising campaigns than their own actual merits doesn't help.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's actually a whole bunch of Jimquisition episodes over photorealism and that stuff

Since someone else listed their favorite jimquisition might as well post mine

Jim discusses the video game equivalent of LEGO projects (no, not the LEGO games).

And I'm not gonna defend this practice in a million years, but making 3D models... yeah, not my strong point.

Jim discusses the video game equivalent of LEGO projects (no, not the LEGO games).

And I'm not gonna defend this practice in a million years, but making 3D models... yeah, not my strong point.

Its not too bad reusing existing assets, even entirely existing assets. The main problem is these "games" have no creativity, they're not well-designed, they've got inconsistent styles...

There's actually an entire open source 2D graphics set called "LPC" (Liberated Pixel Cup) which is designed to enable Indie's not great with graphics to create games. You can reuse assets as long as they're open and available. The problem is, people aren't being creative with them, they're slapping them together with no cohesion or consistency.

I'm planning on trying to create an Indie RPG with LPC assets, but I'm also extending the assets myself and concepting how I want it to work and play, so its not just a rehash of existing assets and existing game engines. I'm also putting effort into designing a full original world, plus trying to write out an original storyline. A lot of my assets will be reused because I can't afford much, but I'm also extending said assets myself.

If I were to try 3D modeling, I'd obviously need to create the characters as original as possible. Or purchase some additional features that allow me to create a large variety of characters with as few models as possible. There was one resource I had found before called "DAZ 3D" where they had a bunch of application available to download for free:

https://www.daz3d.com/get_studio

This one had a basic character model and there were levels that allowed you to adjust all of the model's attributes; height, weight, sex, various specific options relating to the shape of different body parts, etc. I even found a plugin that allowed the model to have pointed ears.

This is an excellent idea; a great way to design characters out, and saves a significant amount of time. Then you'd just need to design the hair and clothes, or buy hair and clothes.

The problem, of course, is that none of these people are doing any of that. They're just taking all the raw settings, throwing them together, and calling it a day.

And Jim's gone off Amiibos.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jim Sterling gets...hype?

It's more a discussion on the hype really, as opposed to actual hype.

New Jimquisition.

Includes hilarious Hatred opening

• Thumbs Up 3

After skirting around the issue the earlier amiibo episode, Jim decides to talk about the Unity engine in this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlQtW4Fzizw&feature=youtu.be

This video needed making. Unity is a good engine, and it's a good engine that people are using to good effect. I think people associate shit with Unity, and that's simply not something that's true. If anyone is to blame for the onslaught of mediocrity that's been appearing on Steam, it's VALVe for not QCing this shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Shenmue 3 - The Good, The Bad, And The Iffy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXqrYx-04Ok

So Jim did a new ep on games as a service...

...but that's nothing compared to what else has happened - remember Digital Homicide? The developer behind The Slaughtering Grounds? Well, Jim did an interview with them at their insistence (i.e. they called him a chickenshit on Twitter)... and wow. Just wow.

Thirty five years old. Three kids. And this is how the Digital Homicide guy acts.

• Thumbs Up 1

That interview was pretty weird, he has very strange perceptions of reality. My favorite part was him falling for someone claiming to be Jim.

And that audio could have been cleaned up considerably more, I was able to cut out the hiss using audacity's noise removal tool.

That interview was pretty weird, he has very strange perceptions of reality. My favorite part was him falling for someone claiming to be Jim.

And that audio could have been cleaned up considerably more, I was able to cut out the hiss using audacity's noise removal tool.

I think the point was he put in as much effort into the "interview" as the developer puts in his game.

I feel like this guy has been well off for most of his life and thus has never really had a reality check because I refuse to believe a 35 year old man with a wife and kids can be this blind as to his own quality of work and subsequently so offended that someone didn't like it.

Isn't this the same guy who threw a tantrum over Jim giving one of his precious games a bad review? And then proceeded to post a video where he childishly mocks Jim's criticisms?

If so, suddenly the interview is a lot less surprising to me. I mean, don't get me wrong, the guy is still obnoxiously childish, but considering he's done this before...

Even so, I can't believe this is a married, 35 year old man with children. 

It's really kind of funny, these early access/greenlight things have made me retroactively lenient towards lower quality B tier games of last generation.  Golden Axe: Beast rider, for example, seems a lot less trashy now, for example.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so... I don't particularly agree with this as being a problem since I always see through it and always comment on how ridiculous it is, but yeah I get a lot of people and some people here certainly fall for it.

But my god... you need to watch this for the segment at 5:58-6:51... I cannot stop laughing.

• Thumbs Up 2