Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

Has any videogame redesign gone well? 

Mario's redesign from SMB1 to SMB3 and SMW was quite different, but it went on to be the more iconic look.

"We can make it..... If we all stick together...... We won't give up not ever...... And everything's gonna be alright...."

......I hope.......

I find it kinda weird...Like i dont care at all about the cartoon and whatever they do outside of the games. 

At one point you have Aaron saying he is very excited about the 3rd exclusive game then you have the new Sonic Dash releasing the same day in Japan. 

Not to say that we are still waiting for that SLW DLC to come and i cant imagine changing Sonic design in there all of a sudden

Then you have Sonic Boom with the new stuff and the whole "rebirth" of Sonic & Year Sonic stuff. Like what is going?  Tomorrow is gonna be a day that probably nobody will forget no matter bad or good.

As a fanbase that is in and of itself crippled from the inside out by a history of mediocre to average content, the last thing we need is an ugly, permanent Sonic redesign to become the new image for the character.

If it turns out that the design is exclusive to this cartoon, (and maybe a spinoff advergame on iOS or something) than whatever. Life moves on, and the fans who are turned off can just ignore all the Boom-related content. BUT if this is indeed the new standard for the character, then we all die another day.

If SEGA is going to put all their money into a young audience as opposed to the notably lesser broadened pool of longtime fans, then that's their deal. It worked with Pac-Man after all, the Ghostly Adventures toon is Disney XD's most watched property. With the commercial failures of the nostalgia games like Generations, Lost World, even Sonic 4 to an extent, it seems that catering to the 6-11 audience might prove to be much more profitable for SEGA and the Sonic brand.

And naturally, if the show turns out to be a kiddy entourage of cringeworthy salad underwear jokes, a number of us are going to be all but polarized. And at this stage in the game, we can't seem to do anything about that.

This will make or break us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08-uyfp2iPM

• Thumbs Up 6

I really don't want to jump on the theory/hype(?) bandwagon just yet, since there's a handful of ways this thing could end, for better or worse. The fact that it's a press-only event means that it's something big, which for some reason I don't feel will be the next game. I have a feeling this could with just being about Sonic Boom and nothing else, but that's just a shot in the dark here.

I'll just wait until tomorrow at noon to see what this is all about. One thing I'm a bit confused about, what sources are the best for instant information on this tomorrow? IGN, Machinima, Gamespot, etc? I know we only know that Machinima was invited so far, but I'm assuming big sites like IGN would be invited as well, no?

The only things making you guys dread and tremble in fear over this is the character designs..... Well then, might as well change your avatars to this handsome fellow's face, since your acting like him.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm hyped. I'm guessing there will be reveals of toys and apparel, the usual merchandising. I wouldn't expect game information at this point in time, but that would be keen.

• Thumbs Up 1

With the commercial failures of the nostalgia games like Generations, Lost World

Generations was a failure?

Anyway, I'm ...not quite eagerly awaiting tomorrow, but I am awaiting. Now I just need to build my bomb shelter so's to be safe during the fallout.

The only things making you guys dread and tremble in fear over this is the character designs..... Well then, might as well change your avatars to this handsome fellow's face, since your acting like him.

Ever since 2008, we've seen SEGA take the franchise further and further into a "Saturday Morning Cartoon" direction, leading up to the creation of a Saturday Morning Cartoon. The characters have been redesigned to be more wacky and cartoony looking, and the last game to be released was an extremely colorful, visually unimpressive game with a painfully basic story featuring new characters that have all the personality of cardboard cutouts. 

Because children like that in cartoons, I guess.

Believe it or not, some people don't like the direction this franchise has been taking, and are not instilled with confidence when SEGA says we're in for a "renaissance" possibly driven by the new cartoon. Crazy, I know.

• Thumbs Up 9

Has any videogame redesign gone well?

Yes...

12335085444_f1d6960f50_n.jpg

But of course, chances are that Boom will be more likened to this...

12334842503_905dd85569.jpg

I'm very interested to see what comes of tomorrow. I don't think I'll be enthralled, but who knows.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm hyped. I'm guessing there will be reveals of toys and apparel, the usual merchandising. I wouldn't expect game information at this point in time, but that would be keen.

>you don't either like the design or that SEGA is apparently hinging the near future of the franchise on a show that doesn't have much promise, so you're Richard Kuta!

Here, let me borrow your sig for that one.

tumblr_mxrdda6ZFt1s0yfn0o1_500.gif

I'll gladly eat crow on this one. For once, I WANT to be entirely wrong. Because everything shown so far points in a direction I'm not liking- either a likely bad/mediocre show, which is best scenario (and the one I think will happen- they're having too many products based on the current designs to suddenly switch to the new ones, just look at SSB and Archie), or the future of the franchise in the next years be based on a likely bad/mediocre show.

Yeah, this isn't looking neat to me. And I only hope to be shown I was worrying too much.

Although I don't agree with every point here, I do believe there is more to be a tad anxious (albeit, not worth losing any sleep over) about than just the character designs.  Some people don't like the direction the series is going, and while I wholeheartedly disagree with that mindset, I think it's legitimate.

Also, why would we just change our avatars based on who we act the most like?  That would be ridiculous.  Now if you'll excuse me, I have a big bowl of hay that's been calling my name since 12 this afternoon.

[picture of a guy not worth bringing up or making fun of even]

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled in the slightest to see Mario and his crew go through any major redesign, nor have their series feature a shift in art style. To assume this is all pedantic is straight up ridiculous.

A long running series undergoes a pretty big design shift for the sake of a really young demographic, further alienating their audience they've been catering to for a very long time (an "everyone" kind of focus) as well as people who loved Sonic's design and everything about the series. This along with the potential moment where everything gets rebooted just seems like a bunch of pointless whining?

Come on now.

• Thumbs Up 7

God I'll laugh like a madman if they show the designs and everyone in SSMB starts to like them. I mean, all of this out of silhouettes, yeesh.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just have to sit back and laugh, sometimes.

Yes, now Sonic is like a Saturday morning cartoon. Yes, now the characters are cartoony looking. Yes, now the games are colorful, now the characters have paper-thin personalities.

None of that has ever happened before.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

I'll join you, as you seem to discount the entire concepts of moderation, status quo, and relativity in your attempt to be funny.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_mxrdda6ZFt1s0yfn0o1_500.gif

Just because the words "fuck you" are in gif form doesn't mean they're suddenly okay to swing at someone. Don't do this shit.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'll join you, as you seem to discount the entire concepts of moderation, status quo, and relativity in your attempt to be funny.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

I don't know if you're trying to imply Sonic has ever really had that because well….

• Thumbs Up 1

Dio is right though. Sonic stories (except Unleashed and 06) have always been Saturday Morning cartoon like. Thing is that the standard of those cartoons have changed.

I don't know about you guys, but the redesigns are the least of my worries.

I'm more worried about what horseshit gameplay they're going to slap on the next game.

• Thumbs Up 6

God I'll laugh like a madman if they show the designs and everyone in SSMB starts to like them. I mean, all of this out of silhouettes, yeesh.

For what it's worth, Knuckles is the only one that's universally despised, based on what we've seen anyway. The others don't seem too different.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. Honestly, I just want this to get over with so I can know whether or not to avoid SSMB for a few days. :V

I just have to sit back and laugh, sometimes.

Yes, now Sonic is like a Saturday morning cartoon. Yes, now the characters are cartoony looking. Yes, now the games are colorful, now the characters have paper-thin personalities.

None of that has ever happened before.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Yeah I have to agree with this, just because its a little bit more noticeable now doesn't mean the series hasn't always been this way (ignoring the personalities remark) and honestly it makes me wonder if we've even been playing the same games.

To be honest, im actually kind of excited for the news tomorrow (though I'm holding back on expectation since it might just be nothing) and hope that the news tomorrow, whatever it is, is well received.

For what it's worth, Knuckles is the only one that's universally despised, based on what we've seen anyway. The others don't seem too different.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. Honestly, I just want this to get over with so I can know whether or not to avoid SSMB for a few days. :V

Based on shadows. That doesn't sound too good haha.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh for goodness sake. Please, please PLEASE can we stop with this attitude? People complaining about the silhouettes is perfect valid. They're there to give an indication of what to expect. And so we're rightly going to react to them. I bet the best surprise that any of us nay-sayers could get is that the designs and Boom itself turn out to be something we like.

We don't want to dislike anything. We're cautious and pessimistic with good reason. If SEGA can prove us wrong, everyone's going to be very happy.

• Thumbs Up 8