Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Having another look at Sonic... here is what I spot...

Shorter spikes.

Lack of textures.

Lighter tone of blue.

Lack of sports tape on his gloves.

Scarf is also at a different angle and colour.

Would like to see a few more renders of Sonic just to be sure, but I wonder if Sega have been paying attention to 'feedback?'

There is a texture. Zoom in and you can see well around the brow.

I don't have any on hand, but he looks closer to some of the Boom concept art.

Maybe it's just a rushed poster?

What do you mean? They don't make new models for each poster..

Having another look at Sonic... here is what I spot...

Shorter spikes.

Lack of textures.

Lighter tone of blue.

Lack of sports tape on his gloves.

Scarf is also at a different angle and colour.

Would like to see a few more renders of Sonic just to be sure, but I wonder if Sega have been paying attention to 'feedback?'

Not a chance.
  • His spikes aren't shorter. This is just a render at a different angle. The renders we've been looking at before have been Photoshopped in post production. This same thing explains other discrepancies, such as his face and torso.
  • The textures are probably hidden due to the lighting and the fact that the picture is washed out.
  • The same explains the colour.
  • There is sport tape on his gloves. Look closely.
  • The scarf is completely unchanged.

Are the main 4 that boring?

I can accept her being a one timer for the game... But she's a regular? I was filled with some disappointment upon this news.

• Thumbs Up 4

There is a texture. Zoom in and you can see well around the brow.

I don't have any on hand, but he looks closer to some of the Boom concept art.

What do you mean? They don't make new models for each poster..

I dunno, it just looks unfinished to me.

Are the main 4 that boring?

I can accept her being a one timer for the game... But she's a regular? I was filled with some disappointment upon this news.

I don't think she's going to steal the character's limelight. She'll just be a supportive character, might even be important to the story or becomes an unlockable character at the end of the game. Don't jump to conclusions just yet. =P

• Thumbs Up 5

It figures, I think, that they'd want a new main character exclusive to Boom to unambiguously identify it as a separate product from Modern Sonic, and Sticks has the advantage of being designed for Boom from the ground up rather than having been adapted like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy.

I already like this new character. I think she's really cute and I like the concept of a wild jungle girl who sees things differently than everyone else. Far from thinking that her voice is annoying, I actually rather like it and think it really fits her. As for her name, while "Sticks" is hardly Sega's most imaginative name, I think it's a hell of a lot better than "Big" or "Bean."  

I look forward to seeing this girl in action.

• Thumbs Up 1

So urm... this might be nothing but.... Here is Stick's house.

Boz43oOIAAACiYM.png

Apparently Marine Sticks has been living in this ancient and unknown land for years alone right? And the whole "What is this world" "What is the history of this world"

Well.... Why is there an ancient tribal mask showing a Blaze/Sonic hybrid?

ut1mHK7.png

Am I looking too much into this... or did there used to be a hedgehog like tribe running around?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just looks like a very typical tribal mask with feathers or leaves on the side to me, and some non-specific Sonic animal ears. Wouldn't surprise me if there was/is an ancient tribe (we saw that statue in the trailer) and Sticks could very well be related to such, but I don't think that mask is too indicative of anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

Marine? There's no Marine in Boom, silly Hogfather.

Oh for... you see what you do to me SSMB! /Tommy Wiseau

• Thumbs Up 2

I meant to reply to this earlier, but I was wrapped up in other things:

All people are different, so there will always be complaints about something I don't think we should blow one review out of proportion. Most reviewers didn't complain about them. There have been people asking for some of the characters to return, too.

Yeah... I realize I probably painted with too broad of a stroke there. Though, complaints about characters, particularly that they exist at all, is nothing new in my book. Hearing people complained that all these characters, who had nothing but token appearances and contributed nothing to the plot or gameplay experience, didn't exactly surprise me, but it somehow still perplexed me all the same.

Bit of a knee-jerk on my part, so that's my bad.

So urm... this might be nothing but.... Here is Stick's house.

Boz43oOIAAACiYM.png

Apparently Marine Sticks has been living in this ancient and unknown land for years alone right? And the whole "What is this world" "What is the history of this world"

Well.... Why is there an ancient tribal mask showing a Blaze/Sonic hybrid?

ut1mHK7.png

Am I looking too much into this... or did there used to be a hedgehog like tribe running around?

Huh, interesting. Made me think of Majora's Mask in terms of shape, but I know that's going too far tongue.png

Maybe the game will explore tribal roots for a lot of characters. The trailer seemed to suggest some kind of Echidna history (the big statue the crew discovers after falling down the pit), it's possible this Sonic is descended from a Hedgehog tribe that fought whatever those bots are that are attacking them.

Mile Pollock has this to contribute apparently:

Haters gonna hate. But haters gonna hate #Sticks gonna regret their hatred. @SEGA @sonic_hedgehog

With apologies to John Lennon: "All we are saying is Give #Sticks a Chance." @SEGA @sonic_hedgehog

Sticks, huh. That name is weird, but I don't hate it.

It was only a matter of time before we got a badger in the series, so I'm down with it. Her design does look a lot like Marine, and I mean A LOT, but I'm fine with it. I'd say her design is actually a quite a bit cooler than Marine. Besides, this is the same series that has characters that simply take another character's design as a base and go from there, like Shadow. They're like recolors, but with production values. So as long as characters like that exist, no one should be complaining about the similarities between Sticks and Marine.

But oh lordy, that voice. It is really annoying and does not give me much reason to be optimistic about her character. Character's like that have been showing up in cartoons for far too long if you ask me. Maybe her writing will be better, and I do hope that is the case, but the voice will still get on my voice.

Other than the voice, I don't see why people are angry about this. It's not happening on here nor Retro, but places like NeoGAF and probably some others, but people are not letting the "SHITTY FRIENDS" thing die. Come on, people, all we know about the character is that she exacts, it's far too early to pull the Shitty Friends card. Besides, Shitty Friends complaints should have died years ago, it really comes off as unintelligent and ignorant when I see the complaint. The people making these complaints weren't gonna buy the game anyway, and if they ever had even a passing interest in Sonic, it went away after the Genesis days.

At this point it's something to be expected and let the haters go ahead and hate. Sonic seems to be the only videogame franchise out there where he isn't allowed to have friends or a supportive cast. How lame and boring will it be if the game/tv series only stars the main four and nobody else. Stephen Frost even said that he wanted Boom to be more of a living breathing world instead of a big empty ghost town where only the main characters exist. 

I'm happy that characters are coming back and I'm pretty open for both old and new characters. People are forgetting that this is a new branch with a new direction, new cast of characters, new locations, new designs, etc and BRB  and the animation team has a lot more freedom to do what they see fit and those people who is so quick to write off any character as a 'shitty friend' already has like 6 or 7 years worth of Sonic only games in the main series where his friends takes a huge backseat to the point they're almost irrelevant. Most of the people who are complaining don't even play the new Sonic games anyway even when he's the only character playable.

• Thumbs Up 4

I want to like her, but the voice killed it for me... I was hoping for something cute, but that just sounds like an annoying kid. About the design, I love it, I could swear that she looks like a new character for the modern Sonic series, and not Boom. I wonder if Uekawa designed her, or they got new illustrator.

And Amy with that horny look, wth.

2q2myat.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I want to like her, but the voice killed it for me... I was hoping for something cute, but that just sounds like an annoying kid. About the design, I love it, I could swear that she looks like a new character for the modern Sonic series, and not Boom. I wonder if Uekawa designed her, or they got new illustrator.

She sounds like a character from a 1980/1990's cartoon. I think it sounds awesome.

This game is turning out pretty awesome.

• Thumbs Up 5

She sounds like a character from a 1980/1990's cartoon. I think it sounds awesome.

This game is turning out pretty awesome.

I second this one, really hope she is an unlockable character(amoung others), I would love to have an extra 4 full characters to shake up the replay a lot, and competitive 

Hmm, yeah I dig the voice.

I second this one, really hope she is an unlockable character(amoung others), I would love to have an extra 4 full characters to shake up the replay a lot, and competitive 

It'd sure be something if playable Sticks (with her own special moves or even mini-story like Metal Sonic got in Sonic 4) was the 100 percent completion reward for Sonic Boom. I sure know I'd be getting everything, and as quickly as possible, if that were the case.

• Thumbs Up 1