Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Didn't they say that the game was the prequel to the show proper? If so it wouldn't be out of the question that it would get a 2014 release date around or slightly before the time the show airs. Then again there's always the chance it could be a little later. Probably best to just wait for official confirmation (at the next Direct or E3).

Didn't they say that the game was the prequel to the show proper? If so it wouldn't be out of the question that it would get a 2014 release date around or slightly before the time the show airs. Then again there's always the chance it could be a little later. Probably best to just wait for official confirmation (at the next Direct or E3).

It's a prequel, but the show isn't story focused. I doubt it will make much of a difference, if any at all.

I'd have to agree that the game's prequel status to the cartoon is likely a technicality only.  Sega wanted both Booms to be part of a unified new front, but it would be inconvenient for the creators of both game and cartoon if they had to consult each other too closely on the plot.  The solution was obviously to say that one was a prequel to the other - and since the cartoon is going to be the sillier entity, it makes sense for that to come second, so any elements introduced in the game or successive games can be brought into the cartoon in a more casual way, without having to spend time setting them up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do have some hopes for Sonic Boom both TV and Game. I am glad it's not going to affect the real Sonic universe and that it's just a branch of the franchise.

At first I was a bit meh at the designs for the four characters but I am sure that the game will do good enough. After all it is developed by the guys who used to work at Naughty Dog and the ones who rebooted Sly Cooper for the 3DS.

I think this will be a grower you never know surprised might actually be around the corner.

The game's been in development for 2 years already, I think it could possibly come out this year to accompany the show hand in hand.

It would also relieve any confusion between Boom! Sonic and the 2015 SEGA! Sonic video game coming out, probably for the best too.

Maybe we can have Jak and Dexter type music during the outside sections and Racket and Clank type music in a factory level and the more action-y part.

DAXTER

DAXTER

D-A-X-T-E-R-! 

I swear down I have an aneurysm when ever someone calls it that. 

• Thumbs Up 6

That is an interesting point that they haven't mentioned the release date as Holiday 2014 or Fall 2014.

I'd attribute it to a minor booboo; seems rather weird given they were hyping 2014 as the "Year of Sonic."

• Thumbs Up 1

If people remember Lost World's reveal trailer, it said "Coming soon to Nintendo platforms". So it might be the same case here.

Fall starts in September and goes until December :U I'm thinking the show will start in late September or early October. Most sitcoms start around then, too. They'll probably release the game close to that time, too.

Seeing as BRB has former Naughty Dog employees, I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that Jack & Dexter are appearing in this game:

JampD_zps21b957cc.jpg

From the official Fakebook page.

Just an fyi jack is Raiden, not solid snake. Still hilarious, and yah true fall is a major time for live action tv shows and cartoons alike.

Now this is just a thought but didnt they say that the cartoon will launch late 2014/early 2015?

With the game being a prequel to the show it'd make sense to release the game earlier than the show. That would go along with what they said that we'd see more in the coming days/months etc.

Of course thats just an assumption but i'd say we'll probably see it around the SEGA month being released

They release prequels and sidequels out of chronological order all the time so I wouldn't put too much stock in the game being released early, especially given the nature of the actual cartoon. What plot the game establishes likely won't have much bearing on the day to day episodes.

Never mind the different media involved; gamers might not watch the cartoon and those who watch the cartoon might not play the game. So it would be confusing if there was too much emphasis on the story connection.

If anything I think we'd see a "movie" of sorts of several episodes' length if they really wanted to release a prequel in chronological order.

Even though the haven't outright stated it, im pretty sure its coming out before the show since its a prequel, even though I think it would be a pretty bad idea to release this earlier than the show since without an established presence (and something to get the fans unhinged) I don't see this selling all too well, all that coupled with the fact that its on wii u makes me somewhat worried for this games future so I hope that this game gets more exposure before release.

Releasing the game close to the holidays will fix that problem, as by then the Wii U's lineup is invigorated by Smash 4, not to mention other titles.

I really think they'll release the show first and then the game during the holidays on the sales pitch that it will help you understand the universe of the show better. It sounds weird but it's been done before on countless occasions. The only reason to think the prequel comes chronologically first is because the source material and prequel share the same release year... but other than that there's little marketing precedent.

I am extremely concerned that critics are going to hate this. It doesn't even look like a bad game, it looks great, but still, I'm worried.

I will finally get to play as tails and knuckles so that already makes the game good for me. Now i want to see a 3ds screen shot already

I am extremely concerned that critics are going to hate this. It doesn't even look like a bad game, it looks great, but still, I'm worried.

The fact that its not Sonic Team and instead Ex-Naught Dog members should erase some preconceived-stigma right there.

The fact that its not Sonic Team and instead Ex-Naught Dog members should erase some preconceived-stigma right there.

Perhaps. But there's other reasons for stigma against Boom. It's a cartoon/movie tie-in, and such games often amongst the laziest and worst out there. Then there's the massive redesigns that lots of people don't like. Who exactly asked to see that? Some stigma is rather warranted.

On the other hand, it's already looking vastly different from the normal Sonic experience. Not only that but there's other playable characters, an emphasis on story...there's a lot of stigma there among video game critics. When it comes to Sonic specifically, I mean. Still, I don't think we can accurately predict how well this game will do critically at this moment.

Thought strikes me. If they have Insomniac veterans on board perhaps they might draw inspirations from Spyro's flying, gliding, hovering, and other aerial mechanics, for Tails' flight and Knuckles' gliding.

Thought strikes me. If they have Insomniac veterans on board perhaps they might draw inspirations from Spyro's flying, gliding, hovering, and other aerial mechanics, for Tails' flight and Knuckles' gliding.

... Now I have the mental image of Knuckles hovering by flapping his huge arms.blink.png

• Thumbs Up 1