Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Knowing that this will be a seperate thing certainly lifted most of my fears. 

But now I'm starting to be cautiously optimistic again. Oh god I'm not setting myself up for another disappointment am I? D:

Well, considering that out of the entire trailer, the only thing that looks bad is the character models, I would say that this is on the right path, and could be great

• Thumbs Up 2

After fuming to myself about Knuckles' redesign, I'm digging the animation quality of the cartoon trailer! even the enemy robot looked awesome! (the times sonic is running towards the camera seemed a little off though) as for the game, YEY playable characters, as a knuckles fan Im glad to see him playable in some form, and i know i will eventually get used to the new design (lets face it, this far in develpment they are not changing it) 

BUT Amy Rose looked and played beautifuly, the way her spines moved when she attacked was flawless. really looking forward to play as her!!
and Tails' sonic speed whooshy run was really nicely animated too :)

overall, looking forward to it! and biggest thing on my mind now is how their personalities will be portrayed, especially knuckles, (fingers crossed for very naive but not too dumb)

Thanks 4chan for the find.

Look at the date of the video and the first section of it.

And people said SLoW didn't look like a Sonic game...no one even caught this.

Ok well prolly some of you know how I feel already, but I guess I'll expand a little. The graphics are the least of my worries right now.

Like, I dunno, I like the cartoon, I mostly like the character designs.. this does so many things I wanted Sonic to do, it's got CoOp, multiple playable characters, Amy is fast again, Knuckles is important again.

It's being outsourced! Not only is Sonic Team no longer holding it back, but it's being handled by experiences western devs known for quality mascot platformers. Apparently Chris Senn is involved too? That guy really cares about Sonic.

But jesus despite all of that, I'm still sceptical. Lost World broke me, man. I don't want to look forward to this because something's gonna go wrong.

• Thumbs Up 5

Watching the CryEngine3 trailer, wow. This game looks like it will be quite large. It looks so detailed and very beautiful. I really am looking forward to seeing more.

So.. I actually like the designs.

More specifically, I like Knuckles' & Tails' designs (kinda prefer this Knuckles over the one in the games, minus the stupid sports tape). Amy is simply okay to me, but Sonic is just too slender, plus the scarf and those freaking eyes... Yeah, I really don't like how Sonic looks at all.

The gameplay... I'm more excited for this gameplay than I've been for any Sonic game since Heroes honestly. Sonic is NOT the only playable character, open HUB's, levels, different gameplay styles per character. I find it way too ironic that THIS is what I've wanted in a Sonic game, but funny enough it's in a one-off that's a prequel for a TV show. I swear I'll laugh my ass off if this game is received better than Lost World, or even Colors. I like the direction of it so far, but that's really all I can say. Not much other than that to judge really, so I'll just wait for more info before over-hyping myself.

EDIT - Also, I like that Sonic Team isn't doing this one. They've screwed up so many times in the past in my opinion, I think it's nice to see another team handle Sonic for a bit (even if it's not the main series). I don't see eye-to-eye with Sonic Team at all anymore in most cases (speed boosters everywhere, only Sonic playable, confined levels with no exploration, simple story, etc), so I'd like to actually see if this works out with Sonic Team not making really questionable design changes.

• Thumbs Up 5

I am very excited about this game! It looks fun to play, and the multiple playable characters sounds great too. I am not a fan of the models, though.

Say, with those playable characters, I wonder if those so called "professional reviewers" will whine about Sonic's friends being playable?

I really like that we can play as Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, and that they're all fast and capable v-v

Idk, other people who don't think it looks so great, what are your problems with it? I'm trying to put my finger on what bugs me.

(I am really hesitant to be excited as you can see)

EDIT: Blue Blood makes an interesting point

You know what worries me most? No springs, no boosters (for the purpose of what I'm saying, that's a bad thing), no item boxes, no loops, no staples of the series. The gameplay looks good from the trailer, but it's hard to tell if it's going to be very Sonicy or if it will indeed be a generic platformer where you do boring platforming and kill endless swathes of enemies.

I think the whole "lack of anything to do with Sonic besides rings" thing leans pretty heavily towards this not playing anything like a Sonic game.

I still don't see what looks good about the gameplay, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is so amazingly hilarious. It's like the thing that everybody wanted and nobody wanted at the same time. A game where you can play as a bunch of existing characters in a new style, but it's a controversial, Nintendo Exclusive show tie-in.

To be fair the designs look dramatically better rendered in the show than they do in-game. I'm seriously interested in where this goes.

• Thumbs Up 6

You know what worries me most? No springs, no boosters (for the purpose of what I'm saying, that's a bad thing), no item boxes, no loops, no staples of the series. The gameplay looks good from the trailer, but it's hard to tell if it's going to be very Sonicy or if it will indeed be a generic platformer where you do boring platforming and kill endless swathes of enemies.

This is my main fear, that the developers will lose sight of what makes a good SONIC game and instead just try to make an adequate platformer with Sonic in it, complete with super quick "fast sections" that dont add anything substantial and are only there because "thats what Sonic is and we got to put it in somwhere"

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok well prolly some of you know how I feel already, but I guess I'll expand a little. The graphics are the least of my worries right now.

Like, I dunno, I like the cartoon, I mostly like the character designs.. this does so many things I wanted Sonic to do, it's got CoOp, multiple playable characters, Amy is fast again, Knuckles is important again.

It's being outsourced! Not only is Sonic Team no longer holding it back, but it's being handled by experiences western devs known for quality mascot platformers. Apparently Chris Senn is involved too? That guy really cares about Sonic.

But jesus despite all of that, I'm still sceptical. Lost World broke me, man. I don't want to look forward to this because something's gonna go wrong.

Don't worry about the game not being made by Sonic Team, as the developers are two really talented teams. The Wii U team is composed of former Naughty Dog guys (with the art director from what looks like the old Crash games) being one of the main guys in charge of the game alongside Cris Steen who worked alot on the canceled Sonic X-tream.

The 3ds game is being made by Sanzaru, who made the great Sly Thieves in Time (and are fimilar with handheld tech, as seen with them doing a great job bringing Thieves in Time to Vita).

Honestly, I would be more excited about this than worried; Sega looks to be putting alot of effort into Sonic Boom, and giving this game to talented teams rather than random developers is a sign that this will be a good game.

Edit: Opps, you know all that stuff already, sorry for repeating it :(. I do wonder how the game is going to play though; with Naughty Dog guy's on board with this, I wonder if the classic Crash level design will play some part in this...

Lost World was weak due to it being Sonic Teams first shot with the new formula, like how the Day gameplay from Unleashed wasn't super strong at first until it was more refined with Colors/Generations. I'm sure the next Sonic Team game and this will be great :).

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok... I'm cautiously optimistic. It looks fun, graphics are neat, and all of them except Knuckles look pretty cool. Amy looks like a TOTAL badass.

Also, in the trailer, anyone hear the line "This is paradise"? It was SHADOW! Well, it was at least Shadow's voice actor, anyway.

Under the pretense that this is separate from the "modern Sonic" we've come to expect there isn't actually that much wrong with the game playing different.

• Thumbs Up 8

Don't worry about the game not being made by Sonic Team, as the developers are two really talented teams. The Wii U team is composed of former Naughty Dog guys (with the art director from what looks like the old Crash games) being one of the main guys in charge of the game alongside Cris Steen who worked alot on the canceled Sonic X-tream.

I'm not worried about it not being Sonic Team, that's honestly the best news I've heard regarding Sonic in years.

I'm just worried it's, like others have said, going to forget what Sonic is and just make a regular platformer with some random disjointed speed bits. Chooch is also right though.

See? This game is tearing me apart lisa

• Thumbs Up 1

It just looks very generic, from the art style to the gameplay, like a lot of cartoon/movie tie-ins. Very little about it really screams Sonic to me besides running fast. I can't help but enjoy the sight of Tails, Knuckles and Amy being playable though.

I guess it doesn't really matter, with it being its own thing.