Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

For UK viewers, this upcoming Wednesday will be the last new episode of Sonic Boom for a while. So we've had a good two and a half weeks of episodes airing. 

We got stuff!

The plot for Next top Villain is-

Dave the Intern inadvertently captures Dr. Eggman and hijacks his robots, finally achieving villainy. 

THOUGHTS: I'm actually looking forward to this, there's no mention of the Lightning Bolts, and him alone catching Eggman, That's a start...

Also, New Boom episodes!

• 8th August: New Years Retribution: Eggman attacks during New Year's Eve. (This is probably one of those episodes that aired in France, I thought this was going to be the last one.)
  • 15th August: Battle of the Boy Bands: The guys go undercover as a boy band to prove that Amy and Sticks are being brainwashed by a pop icon. (This is going to be interesting.)
  • 22 August: Tails' Crush: Tails is experiencing a crush; Dr. Eggman has a difficult time picking up his package from the post office. (I... can see where this is going.)
  • 29th August: Bro Down Showdown: Sonic and Knuckles enter a best friend game show to win a new couch for Amy, but the show pairs Sonic up with Dr. Eggman. (This is reminding me of The Buddy Buddy Temple episode for some reason.)
  • 5th September: Late Night Wars (No synopsis yet)

What do you think about this?

• Thumbs Up 1

We got stuff!

Hidden Content

Also, New Boom episodes!

• 8th August: New Years Retribution: Eggman attacks during New Year's Eve. (This is probably one of those episodes that aired in France, I thought this was going to be the last one.)
  • 15th August: Battle of the Boy Bands: The guys go undercover as a boy band to prove that Amy and Sticks are being brainwashed by a pop icon. (This is going to be interesting.)
  • 22 August: Tails' Crush: Tails is experiencing a crush; Dr. Eggman has a difficult time picking up his package from the post office. (I... can see where this is going.)
  • 29th August: Bro Down Showdown: Sonic and Knuckles enter a best friend game show to win a new couch for Amy, but the show pairs Sonic up with Dr. Eggman. (This is reminding me of The Buddy Buddy Temple episode for some reason.)

Hi. This is my first post in this thread.

I have a question: 

WHERE'S AN SONIC BOOM EPISODE CALLED "CABIN FEVER"?

I have a question: 

The epsiode date is not yet confirmed... It'll come, we just don't know yet.

Well, at this point with the "Boombomb" over and done with, I can safely say that I think Sonic Boom...is an alright show. Just alright, and little more. It's not nearly as terrible as I initially thought it would be--Sidekicks, Unlucky Knuckles and The Meteor are especially highlight-worthy--but, as a whole, it doesn't quite hold up as well as some of the other ongoing Cartoon Network shows like Steven Universe or The Amazing World of Gumball for me.

Well the thing is Boom isn't trying to be Steven Universe or Gumball or any other show. It's just trying to be a goofy little show. It isn't trying to be "The most important show ever" just a "Hah this was a fun Quick laugh".

I love Adventure Time and Steven Universe but not every show needs to be highly arced sometimes a Cartoon can exist just to make kids and/or adults laugh.

• Thumbs Up 5

Not to mention, again, the writers have clearly stated that's what the show is intended to be in the first place.

My point is that, even with that goal in mind, I think the show has been hit or miss with its execution, mostly the latter for me. Nothing personal, you guys, but this show is just not my thing, unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 2

We got stuff!

Hidden Content

Also, New Boom episodes!

When Tails' Crush show up every person that ships SonicXAmy would all go SEE SONIC AND AMY LIKES EACH OTHER GGGRRAHHHHHHHHH can't blame them tho since sonamy's actually a legit pairing now

Edited by NoirSuede
  • Thumbs Up 1

The boy band one sounds like it's going to be fun. Silly, dorky, fun.

I'm a bit worried about the crush one, so often those kind of episodes can be embarassingly cringey, hopefully they pull it off and make a good episode.

I have a question: 

"I'M YELLING WORDS!"

• Thumbs Up 1

When does this show air in the rest of europe?

Looks like someone had already told you before that it wasn't aired outside France & UK yet.

Speaking about that, I even don't know when Sonic Boom TV is aired in Southeast Asian Cartoon Network.

Looks like someone had already told you before that it wasn't aired outside France & UK yet.

Speaking about that, I even don't know when Sonic Boom TV is aired in Southeast Asian Cartoon Network.

I know it didnt air outside, yet, i wanted to know when that happens...

Wait, was there a new episode today, or is it next Saturday the new eps start?

EDIT: Looks like it was today, I totally missed August creeping up on me and missed the livestream ep XD

Edited by caitash

That's an over-exaggeration if I ever did see one. Modern Spongebob is Every Episode with a maybe 1 episode break in between. This is every few, which is more in line with Movie-Era Spongebob, not bad, but not good. That being said I view this episode as Social Commentary and find it hilarious because of it. The over-sensitivity of the modern day is satirized in a fun way that doesn't involve turning Knuckles into a drooling idiot. A+ Episode all around in my book.

I kinda like having an odd bunch of characters who are less than grateful about Sonic and co being out to protect them, it challenges Sonic's morals and motives, he's a guy who loves doing the right thing and yet people fight him all the way or try to make him in the wrong for it. There were usually similar examples in each interpretation, characters who used Sonic or had a cynical or selfish outlook about his heroics (eg. Wes Weasely or Griff had no problem at all selling out Sonic to look out for themselves, while the comics Acorn Council occasionally butted heads with the heroes, sometimes for rather spiteful reasons).

I think the problem for Boom however is that it represents almost EVERY character not in the main hero band. There's no really reliable or sympathetic supporting character, they're just apathetic or dumb at best or outright ungracious and antagonistic at worst. It seems no wonder most episodes have Eggman just battle the heroes exclusively since there isn't much will to want the townsfolk to be saved from any scheme of his. Even worse, since it's the majority, most of them get away with it too. Karma is destroyed because so many people Sonic protects are easier to hate than some of the villains. The Gogobas in particular can play Sonic like a fiddle with no chance of comeuppance and they know it.

Edited by E-122-Psi

I know it didnt air outside, yet, i wanted to know when that happens...

Someone posted news above about it airing in other countries, including Europe.

Dude, no offence, but would you please read the topic posts before asking questions that's already been answered?

i don't think SEA Cartoon Network even bothers with Sonic Boom considering that they only do reruns of the first 13 episodes.

I kinda like having an odd bunch of characters who are less than grateful about Sonic and co being out to protect them, it challenges Sonic's morals and motives, he's a guy who loves doing the right thing and yet people fight him all the way or try to make him in the wrong for it. There were usually similar examples in each interpretation, characters who used Sonic or had a cynical or selfish outlook about his heroics (eg. Wes Weasely or Griff had no problem at all selling out Sonic to look out for themselves, while the comics Acorn Council occasionally butted heads with the heroes, sometimes for rather spiteful reasons).

If you've seen the beginning of Ted, it's narrated by Patrick Stewart and they are showing about this huge miracle of the talking teddy bear that was given life and over the years, the world just got used to it and no longer cared "because after a while, no one gives a shit!"

This is the same for the townsfolk in the village. They've gotten so used to Sonic saving them from Eggman's attacks day after day that they just expect it and aren't as grateful as they should be. That's why it took Sonic quitting for them to realize their mistake. Even Lightning Bolts pathetic antics were even too much for them.

Sonic is also their local celebrity. When you're at the top, even if it's subliminal, people are waiting for any excuse to cut you down a peg. It's just human nature.

But the main reason I liked that story is that it's a great commentary on how over-sensitive people can be. It's especially true in this internet age. Just look at Twitter. Someone says something that the internet hive mind disagrees with just a little bit and they go for the throat. 

As for today's episode, it was alright. It's the second episode to focus on Dave the intern and the focus on him was much stronger than it usually is on one single character. His mom is a total ripoff of Howard's mom from the Big Bang Theory. Both the loud, obnoxious voice and the fact that you don't actually see her. I loved the fact that even Eggman and Sonic were a little bit scared of her. Eggman - "Keep it down! you're gonna get us in trouble!" Once again, Eggman stole the show my favorite joke was about the ink for octopus bot. "He better not be using the ink! Those cartridges are expensive! That's how they get ya." In the end, Dave actually got a happy ending but I had time feeling sympathetic for him since he's always a jerk 90% of the time. 

Still, if I were Sonic, I'd be nicer to him. He's the only one who seems to serve food in the village and I'm pretty sure those burgers are 20% beaver spit where Sonic is concerned.

• Thumbs Up 4

Who's gonna bet that Tails's crush turns out to be Perci ? (Perci's the new bandicoot that's supposed to show up in the cartoon somewhere down the line).

Edited by NoirSuede
Who's Perci ?

I forgot to post my thoughts about Beyond the Valley of Cubots: 

• This one is better than Guilt Tripping to be honest.
  • Tails is funny, him talking to his tools and Sonic going 'wut' all that while was cute and hilarious.
  • Both of them taking a nap was cute. And I laughed when the two woke up.
  • CUBOTS. CUBOTS EVERYWHERE.
  • It was funny when they self destructed.
  • The way the Cubots escaped screamed Shawshank Redemption to me!

I've yet to see Next Top Villain.

Who's gonna bet that Tails's crush turns out to be Perci ? (Perci's the new echidna that's supposed to show up in the cartoon somewhere down the line).

*In Fastidous Beaver voice*

Actually, she's a bandicoot.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you've seen the beginning of Ted, it's narrated by Patrick Stewart and they are showing about this huge miracle of the talking teddy bear that was given life and over the years, the world just got used to it and no longer cared "because after a while, no one gives a shit!"

This is the same for the townsfolk in the village. They've gotten so used to Sonic saving them from Eggman's attacks day after day that they just expect it and aren't as grateful as they should be. That's why it took Sonic quitting for them to realize their mistake. Even Lightning Bolts pathetic antics were even too much for them.

Sonic is also their local celebrity. When you're at the top, even if it's subliminal, people are waiting for any excuse to cut you down a peg. It's just human nature.

But the main reason I liked that story is that it's a great commentary on how over-sensitive people can be. It's especially true in this internet age. Just look at Twitter. Someone says something that the internet hive mind disagrees with just a little bit and they go for the throat. 

I get the whole jaded approach to the hero vs villain formula, it's part of what adds to Sonic's relationship with the villains, especially Orbot and Cubot. They know how things will go down so clearly they decide they may as well help each other along the way.

I guess the problem is that, compared to this, the civilians of the show aren't really developed outside their negative, apathetic aspects. The hero thing's gotten old so they don't see a reason to be nice to Sonic, even as a standard person. I've yet to really see a member of the supporting cast that has been portrayed positively. Even the villains have way more chances to develop redeeming aspects than them.