Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I had an idea for an episode starring Shadow. What if Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy have a contest to see who can make Shadow smile? Hijinks ensue. In the end, Shadow smiles at everyone's failure.

That's not going to happen. Shadow wouldn't hang around with them. They aren't his type at all. You think Shadow will hang around Sticks? Or play castle fort? Or build shelves? Or play volleyball? Even Eggman is more better suited to Sonic's gang than Shadow. Shadow is portrayed to be Sonic's enemy, not friend or acquaintance.

I wasn't implying they would be hang out with Shadow. I was thinking perhaps Amy would come across a brooding Shadow all by his lonesome. She would then inform the others that she believes Shadow is depressed. The gang then one by one, spends the day harrassing him. They can still make Shadow a regular character without making him part of Sonic's circle of friends.

I wasn't implying they would be hang out with Shadow. I was thinking perhaps Amy would come across a brooding Shadow all by his lonesome. She would then inform the others that she believes Shadow is depressed. The gang then one by one, spends the day harrassing him. They can still make Shadow a regular character without making him part of Sonic's circle of friends.

But Amy wouldn't approach Shadow in a friendly way. Shadow may even attack her or use her to get to Sonic. Shadow isn't an acquaintance of Sonic and his friends at least in the Boom universe. They are enemies. And he isn't like Eggman or Lightning Bolt Society who has a funny, valuable side to them that they can exploit.

In Adventure 2, Amy was able to approach Shadow and talk to him without any threat of violence. Shadow gets into fights alot, but I don't think he's some psycho who wants to kill anyone who comes his way. As for Shadow not having a funny side, I agree. It's how other characters can play off of his grumpy personality that can make for a lot of humor.

That's SA2. This is a different continuity. What writing characters had in the games does not apply here. And Ming Ming didn't say Shadow was a psycho, just that he's super unfriendly for any of the gang to approach with ease. Shadow's not some antihero with mild respect for Sonic like in other iterations here, he's a straight-up douche of a rival who'd gladly pick a fight with Sonic at any opportunity.

Edited by DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 8

Boomerang UK has wrapped up showing 13 new episodes of the show so looks like the UK will be on another break. Sucks the rest of the season couldn't of been aired before the years end.

But Amy wouldn't approach Shadow in a friendly way. Shadow may even attack her or use her to get to Sonic. Shadow isn't an acquaintance of Sonic and his friends at least in the Boom universe. They are enemies. And he isn't like Eggman or Lightning Bolt Society who has a funny, valuable side to them that they can exploit.

Yes, Shadow is Sonic's enemy, but we don't yet know how he would interact with any of Sonic's friends if he weren't around. I'm sure he wouldn't be friendly, but, provided he's in a decent mood, he'd probably be willing to tolerate them for just long enough to see if anything valuable could come out of the interaction, like in the first half of episode 52. I also believe that "sweet, compassionate Amy Rose" would approach Shadow in a friendly manner if she thought she could "help him" in any way. After all, she was perfectly friendly to Eggman when she believed him to be homeless in episode 2, long before episodes like Tails' Crush and Fuzzy Puppy Buddies revealed his nicer side, and right after he tried to straight up kill (not capture or defeat, kill) Sonic and Tails at the ice lake.

Anyway, regarding the "making Shadow smile" plot, I could picture Shadow realizing in a Squidward-esque fashion that he can't remember the last time he really smiled when a member of Team Sonic brings it up, and then doubtfully deciding to stick around to see if any of them can make him smile. I do like this episode idea; it's a fun, silly plot perfect for a fun, silly show that allows the writers to use Shadow in a manner that doesn't break his character or really make fun of him in any way, instead having him react to the silliness that's literally happening right in front of him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't the whole reason Shadow was even antagonistic towards the gang was because he was brainwashed by Lyric, or at least that was the intent? If the games and comics are still relevant then it would make sense for Shadow to chill the fuck out later on and be susceptible to interaction between the main cast versus being dragged around as some dude who's perpetually angry for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't the whole reason Shadow was even antagonistic towards the gang was because he was brainwashed by Lyric, or at least that was the intent? If the games and comics are still relevant then it would make sense for Shadow to chill the fuck out later on and be susceptible to interaction between the main cast versus being dragged around as some dude who's perpetually angry for no reason.

In Shattered Crystal which I believe is non-canon, he is brainwashed into working for Lyric, but is still a general jerk after the brainwashing is broken, while in every other source, he's just being an asshole and fighting Sonic for no good reason.

In Shattered Crystal which I believe is non-canon, he is brainwashed into working for Lyric, but is still a general jerk after the brainwashing is broken, while in every other source, he's just being an asshole and fighting Sonic for no good reason.

And ironically enough, that made him serve more of a role than whatever his role was supposed to be in RoL aside from blatant fanservice.

Edited by DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 8

From what I've heard, the brainwashing by Lyric is also implied to be the case in the Japanese version of Rise of Lyric. Considering that version came out sometime after the NA version, which had no such details, that could very well be some attempt at an "Author's Saving Throw," as TV Tropes calls it.

• Thumbs Up 2

From what I've heard, the brainwashing by Lyric is also implied to be the case in the Japanese version of Rise of Lyric. Considering that version came out sometime after the NA version, which had no such details, that could very well be some attempt at an "Author's Saving Throw," as TV Tropes calls it.

The original dialogue hinting at Shadow being controlled was completed for the English version, it just happened to be cut/replaced. There is a sound file of Tails mentioning that Shadow has some device in his ear. The plot point was probably dropped part-way through the development--maybe because Shattered Crystal was doing the same thing and they thought it'd be redundant? The Japanese localization team was probably working from an earlier script.

See, this is what happens when you throw characters into scenarios with no regard to how they're being portrayed.

Yes, Shadow is Sonic's enemy, but we don't yet know how he would interact with any of Sonic's friends if he weren't around. I'm sure he wouldn't be friendly, but, provided he's in a decent mood, he'd probably be willing to tolerate them for just long enough to see if anything valuable could come out of the interaction, like in the first half of episode 52. I also believe that "sweet, compassionate Amy Rose" would approach Shadow in a friendly manner if she thought she could "help him" in any way. After all, she was perfectly friendly to Eggman when she believed him to be homeless in episode 2, long before episodes like Tails' Crush and Fuzzy Puppy Buddies revealed his nicer side, and right after he tried to straight up kill (not capture or defeat, kill) Sonic and Tails at the ice lake.

Anyway, regarding the "making Shadow smile" plot, I could picture Shadow realizing in a Squidward-esque fashion that he can't remember the last time he really smiled when a member of Team Sonic brings it up, and then doubtfully deciding to stick around to see if any of them can make him smile. I do like this episode idea; it's a fun, silly plot perfect for a fun, silly show that allows the writers to use Shadow in a manner that doesn't break his character or really make fun of him in any way, instead having him react to the silliness that's literally happening right in front of him.

First half of episode 52? The reason why he was with Eggman and was willing to tolerate the silliness for a bit because he actually thought Eggman has a plan to defeat Sonic and was taking it seriously. Eggman was wasting time messing about and Shadow had enough of it and left.

You can't compare Eggman to Shadow. Amy can be very passionate and open to Eggman if needed to be because she knows Eggman won't try to kill her. Eggman may capture her, and she is aware about that, but if that happens, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot aren't smart enough to make her in that much danger. I mean in Fortress of Squalitude, he captured Amy but he could have done more then just put her in a cage. A cage out in the open that is easy for Sonic and pals to find her. 

In Fuzzy Puppy Buddies, he even chose to remain Amy's fuzzy buddy over defeating Sonic and pals. Eggman is nothing more than a frenemy to Sonic and his friends. He has a valuable side of him, he even wanted to defeat Sonic in a game of checkers. He's not a serious foe. If Eggman had a chance to kill Sonic once and for all, he wouldn't do it.

Yes I'm sure Amy will try and approach Shadow in a decent manner, but she will not put her guard down. This isn't SA2 when she thought Shadow was Sonic. I believe Shadow wouldn't take any advice from Sonic's friends so trying to help him is pointless.

Why would Shadow be willing to hang or tolerate Sonic's friends when Shadow only has one main thing in his mind: Defeat Sonic fist-to-fist. The only thing I can think of is him trying to use them to bring him Sonic. It doesn't make sense either to be friends or try to be friends with someone who wants to actually kill your friend.

If Shadow ever smiles, then that shows that he does have a valuable side and he may open up to Sonic and his pals, which I don't want. We already have Eggman, Lightning Bolt Society and others who do almost nothing to put the gang in serious danger. Shadow (and maybe Metal) are the only ones that appear that I know won't be messing about and will get down to business. No silly comedy from them.

You can't compare Eggman to Shadow. Amy can be very passionate and open to Eggman if needed to be because she knows Eggman won't try to kill her. Eggman may capture her, and she is aware about that, but if that happens, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot aren't smart enough to make her in that much danger. I mean in Fortress of Squalitude, he captured Amy but he could have done more then just put her in a cage. A cage out in the open that is easy for Sonic and pals to find her. 

In Fuzzy Puppy Buddies, he even chose to remain Amy's fuzzy buddy over defeating Sonic and pals. Eggman is nothing more than a frenemy to Sonic and his friends. He has a valuable side of him, he even wanted to defeat Sonic in a game of checkers. He's not a serious foe. If Eggman had a chance to kill Sonic once and for all, he wouldn't do it.

Yes I'm sure Amy will try and approach Shadow in a decent manner, but she will not put her guard down. This isn't SA2 when she thought Shadow was Sonic. I believe Shadow wouldn't take any advice from Sonic's friends so trying to help him is pointless.

Why would Shadow be willing to hang or tolerate Sonic's friends when Shadow only has one main thing in his mind: Defeat Sonic fist-to-fist. The only thing I can think of is him trying to use them to bring him Sonic. It doesn't make sense either to be friends or try to be friends with someone who wants to actually kill your friend.

Like I said, Eggman's first few appearances in the series involved him trying to kill Sonic, too. If he can become a frenemy in subsequent episodes, why can't Shadow interact with Team Sonic on some level beyond "yaaarghh, I'm evil and want Sonic dead"? Shadow doesn't have to be friends with Team Sonic, and perhaps shouldn't be, but he should be willing to interact with them, even in an annoyed fashion.

If Shadow ever smiles, then that shows that he does have a valuable side and he may open up to Sonic and his pals, which I don't want. We already have Eggman, Lightning Bolt Society and others who do almost nothing to put the gang in serious danger.

Okay, clearly we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I think Shadow can still be ruthless in his determination to prove his superiority to Sonic (that is, be a threat) throughout the series without that being the only thing he does. I just think Shadow is too fun and interesting a character to be used only as a generic evil bad guy when the writers get tired of using their joke villains. If they want a character to serve as a consistently dangerous and unreasonable force of evil that cannot interact with the heroes outside of the context of a battle to the death, they should just use Lyric, not Shadow.

If there's something better out there, and I enjoy it more than an inferior product. There's really no reason why I shouldn't care now is there :V

Good for you then, I just dont agree personally

I'm confused.

Why is there a debate going on about Shadow smiling?

We are answering the real questions here. 

Like I said, Eggman's first few appearances in the series involved him trying to kill Sonic, too. If he can become a frenemy in subsequent episodes, why can't Shadow interact with Team Sonic on some level beyond "yaaarghh, I'm evil and want Sonic dead"? Shadow doesn't have to be friends with Team Sonic, and perhaps shouldn't be, but he should be willing to interact with them, even in an annoyed fashion.

Okay, clearly we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I think Shadow can still be ruthless in his determination to prove his superiority to Sonic (that is, be a threat) throughout the series without that being the only thing he does. I just think Shadow is too fun and interesting a character to be used only as a generic evil bad guy when the writers get tired of using their joke villains. If they want a character to serve as a consistently dangerous and unreasonable force of evil that cannot interact with the heroes outside of the context of a battle to the death, they should just use Lyric, not Shadow.

I agree. Yall's nuts if you think that badguy shadow its going to be, like seriously. I have seen a toy commerical in my day, and I know the special power ranger when i see it. 

This shit is obvious.  

" oh look he's bad"

" Oh look he's good now, he's the coolest.  he's doing it super good ya'll didn't see that coming. Buy, buy all the toys" 

Edited by Shadowlax

I had an idea for an episode starring Shadow. What if Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy have a contest to see who can make Shadow smile? Hijinks ensue. In the end, Shadow smiles at everyone's failure.

That's actually a really good idea for an episode! With the show's writing, I can see it very possible having something like that eventually happen in the series.

However, I would like a little hint or two about how exactly the team knows Shadow. No no, not a Shadow the Hedgehog (game)-type of backstory, but do they just "know" him like they've always known each other? Because they've never really mentioned him in the series, then again they've never really had a reason to. Even if it's just a simple one liner like "We haven't seen you since..."

I mean, obviously Eggman already knew him from his fanboy reaction. But I think that was just mimicking how fans reacted, haha. He could have always known Shadow, but that doesn't mean Team Sonic did.

No

Its called joke. 

*in Fastiduous voice* Actually, it's "It's called a joke". Gotta work on your grammar kiddo.

Jesus hot sauce Christmas cake, I forgot to post my thoughts on the season finale!

Well, it's a pretty good episode. 

While I was hopeful that Kirk would provide a good performance of Shadow, I felt that some of the lines he did sounded a bit too rough, if I'm making sense. It make sense that Boom Shadow would have such a voice since he has nothing to loose and is pretty ruthless. But I'm sure that how he voiced Shadow in Shattered Crystal is the proper way to go with him, in terms of voice and personality. But I did like how Shadow had literally want nothing to do with all the trust exercises Eggman's doing and how Shadow founds to beat the shit out of Sonic since him and the gang can't make a proper bookshelf. The fight between Shadow and Sonic was pretty lackluster but that 2-hit combo was still pretty hype. But yeah, really appreciate Denton and Hahn chose to play Shadow straight though I would prefer if they gone for a more comical way with him, but it's a good choice nonetheless. Shadow didn't gave me a whole lot of laughs but his lack of reaction is pretty chuckle-worthy. I guess giving Shadow more comical situations would help me warm up to him a bit more.

But enough about Edgy the Hedgy. 

I did really like how all the villains interacted with one another, I would definitely like to see more of the villains team up every once in while in the second season. Also I liked how while the villains are planning to attack the heroes, Sonic and the gang are just trying to build a bookshelf with over-complicated instructions and have no idea what they're doing. Also love how Orbot and Cubot unintentionally broke the 4th wall at the end.

Finally, I liked how the season finale is as practical at first then we get a pretty nice action sequence at the end. It helps show that the Boom team do want to end of the season at a simple note which showcases the charming simplicity of the show overall.

But yeah, with that said. It's safe to say that I really did like Sonic Boom. While it can be better but its sense of humor is definitely to most entertaining part of the show. It also has its fair share of action and character moments when it can.

I always found the show to be like an "easy-to-digest"  version of Sonic, Boom doesn't have huge amounts of lore like the main series and it's easy to understand what the characters are like even though the main series versions are also simple to understand as well. Also the show is visually really nice and the models of the characters are really good too, loved Metal and Shadow's models.

But does that mean, the show is perfect? No, it has its share of flaws. The pacing of some episodes definitely need some work so either the editor for the show is slacking off or they need a new one. The animation can be pretty stiff at times and there isn't a whole lot of locations but i guess OuiDo! didn't have the budget to do so, hope SEGA gives them a bigger budget for the second season. And I would be down for an adventure arc that ties in to the Boom games in some way, whether its Lyric or something to do with the Chaos Crystals, I don't know? But I feel it's important to also keep that light-hearted comical nature as well since Boom is a comedy and not just drop it.

But yeah, here's hoping Season 2 of Boom improves! Probably post my top 10 (yeah right, 10 isn't good enough for this show) episodes later on.

Edited by Soni
  • Thumbs Up 6