Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I don't think characters being assholes to people makes the humor go away

Not necessarily, no. Provided occasional-to-frequent assholism is an established trait for one or more of the characters, and said character is written properly, it can still be plenty funny. I'm sure nobody who watches Rick and Morty sees Rick as the show's scrappy, and people still love Daffy Duck to this day. However, when the half the jokes on a show involve the characters (who, in the case of TTG, were once fully likable) being unlikable douchebags, especially when they have no reason to be douchebags, and we have no genuinely likable characters to sympathize with (that aren't shat on like Meg from Family Guy, who herself indulges in being an unsympathetic asshole from time to time), it just gets to be kind of depressing.

• Thumbs Up 1

You mean that thing that would have probably been a way cheaper and smarter idea, with out having to redesign characters at all. And could also played on a nostalgia factor because a lot of those characters were from an old cartoon, along with them not having to spend money on production company , creating a new visual language for something that could have already been established and freshly rebooted. That thing that would have been the most cost effective slam dunk. That thing, the games I would throw out the window for that to exist. And it would have made the comics relevant to the general public, it would increased of the comic. I ju... I just can't.

You would need much more budget to produce a traditionally animated series, for one thing. CG costs less. Two, if it were CG, it'd still cost more. In fact, let's list all the Sonic characters that don't have CG models (since Sonic Unleashed's character design standard was set) even though they'd probably make new ones for this anyway:

Big, Tikal, The Black Arms, Pachacamac, Tribal Echidnas, Chaos, Maria, Gerald, Commander Tower, the President and his Secretary, Blaze, Silver, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Mighty, Ray, Nack, Bark, Bean, Doom, Honey, Metal and Silver Sonics, Cream, Vanilla, Dark Gaia, Chip, Nega, Espio, Vector, Charmy, Witchcart and her minions, the Battle Kukkus, Neo Metal, Johnny, Whisker and his minions, Emerl and Gemerl, and nearly every badnik.

That's a fuckload of models to design and create.

But you know what? Those are just the game characters.

I didn't even mention the freedom fighters, their other branches, the other GUN members like Julian Snively, Relic, The Wolf Pack, The Egg Army, the Acorn Conglomerate, The Dark Arms (Eclipse, Death, those wispy ones), Chuck, Muttski, Walter Naugus, Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, Breezie, Von Schlemmer, Gold, or any number of post-SGW characters I've missed.

But let's take it even fucking further how wrong this is.

Go ahead and think about the locations of Sonic Boom. The beach, the canyon, downtown, Eggman's base, each character's house, the forest, and occasionally that icy area.

Now let's think about the archieverse's locations.

Oh wait, that's every zone from every Sonic game since 1991.

Now think of people gruelingly modeling massive sections of each zone for these characters to move through, hundreds of character models, I didn't even mention things like Emeralds, Rings, weaponry, the amount of breaking terrain that goes on in the archie comics, the super Sonic battles in space, the Ark the death egg the tornado the oergnkjavgdawdknvrxehugcuyyrdthdstdr4vgcht

Basically what I'm saying here is that no, it would not be any fucking cheaper to produce an archie-based series and that's precisely why it didn't happen and probably won't happen. The bias of yours I've been ignoring aside, Sonic Boom works because it is accessible, for both viewers and creators. Because it is not a massive sprawling saga of different locations and events, with 30 different freedom fighter, wolf pack, egg army, or gun force branches. Because it's a show about five goofy teenage heroes, a silly mustachioed doctor, robots, and lots of stuff blowing up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic boom I would argue puts very little effort in its humor to be honest. I don't think characters being assholes to people makes the humor go away. Also pot kettle black, sonic boom characters are very much assholes themselves.  And actually they aren't out of character, they are actually just exaggerated versionsEspecially if you read the comic books.

1. No they aren't really a-holes. Eccentric, cocky, a bit cuckoo occasionally, but outside of few OOC moments, mainly Amy's character found in the Boom comics which might as well have been a completely different character for how out-of-left-field it came and went, the main characters have never acted the role of of insufferable jerkass. The closest maybe you could is Sonic, but at those times even still he's mainly cocky or just annoyed having to be the straight man, and he's never truly been a dick in that show, hell he's even occasionally compassionate to the likes of Eggman!

2. So you're admitting that at "worst" the Boom characters are merely exaggerations of the mainstream versions. Although I wouldn't really condone saying that they're more based off of their comic-book counterparts to be honest. That was one of your arguments that favored TTG over Boom and yet now you're crediting SOnic Boom with that vurtue too for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 4

(

Also there are a lot of folks who don't like boom/ associate it with the game and don't like boom. So I dunno, I actually don't hear people complaining about TTG besides say super dedicated websites, for cartoons and comics, as apposed to boom who gets ire for being near " another shitty sonic games with shitty friends" . Yeah I know a sonic forum is a " safe place" but lets not pretend sonic hadn't been in a bad situations before this that has effected to mood on the guy, warranted or unwarranted

See, it's declarations like this that lend even more credibility to the notion that you just simply like TTG more than Boom rather than actually revealing this alleged superior quality of TTG.

First, trying to bring up what you've seen to be supposedly hated on more doesn't change who actually puts more effort and qualitative effort.

Secondly, pointing out the painfully obvious that there are people who don't like Boom is pointless. Oh and trying to use the "another shitty sonic game with the shit friends"   when the tv series mind you, not the game, doesn;t even have that as so much of a general consensus, because y'know, the majority of Earth's population recognizes the fact that a tv show is going to handled differently when it comes to how much cast there are at the very least. Give humanity some credit for once.

Oh yeah, and trying to claim that TTG doesn't even get that much flak where you've particularly gone, except alleged sites which you can't even name. Alrght, I'll call your bluff, because I can actually say with a straight face that nearly everywhere it's brought up; hell, just look on youtube and practically every TTG has an overpowering ratio of negativity and with good reason too.

And don't tell me we're going to pretend that TTG hasn't received even more ire for turning to actually be a self-aware reboot of the original series. AT worst with Boom it's been a mistaken notion, and one that hasn't made iconic characters generally viewed as insufferable. And Boom as of Season 1 has attained a general consensus of decent at its worst but brilliant at its best show with room for improvement. It's its own thing and developing out of what it has to work with. Meanwhile Go! these days is still to this day generally seen as a downgrade of animation, quality, story, and actual characters compared to the original show that it initially rode the coattails off of to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 5

(

See, it's declarations like this that lend even more credibility to the notion that you just simply like TTG more than Boom rather than actually revealing this alleged superior quality of TTG.

First, trying to bring up what you've seen to be supposedly hated on more doesn't change who actually puts more effort and qualitative effort.

Secondly, pointing out the painfully obvious that there are people who don't like Boom is pointless. Oh and trying to use the "another shitty sonic game with the shit friends"   when the tv series mind you, not the game, doesn;t even have that as so much of a general consensus, because y'know, the majority of Earth's population recognizes the fact that a tv show is going to handled differently when it comes to how much cast there are at the very least. Give humanity some credit for once.

Oh yeah, and trying to claim that TTG doesn't even get that much flak where you've particularly gone, except alleged sites which you can't even name. Alrght, I'll call your bluff, because I can actually say with a straight face that nearly everywhere it's brought up; hell, just look on youtube and practically every TTG has an overpowering ratio of negativity and with good reason too.

And don't tell me we're going to pretend that TTG hasn't received even more ire for turning to actually be a self-aware reboot of the original series. AT worst with Boom it's been a mistaken notion, and one that hasn't made iconic characters generally viewed as insufferable. And Boom as of Season 1 has attained a general consensus of decent at its worst but brilliant at its best show with room for improvement. It's its own thing and developing out of what it has to work with. Meanwhile Go! these days is still to this day generally seen as a downgrade of animation, quality, story, and actual characters compared to the original show that it initially rode the coattails off of to begin with.

To answer you in order

Declarations like what? Sonic had a bunch of shitty games and people now associate him with shitty games, and Teen titans in the last two public appearances its made in a large format is a cartoon I don't like but everone does ( The OG TT cartoon) and on of the best super hero toon shows of all time ( young justice ). Its not any declarations that I like Teen Titains go. Its a declaration that understand there reality of the situation that sonic is in. And if living in some fantasy land where sonic is totally ok , and everyone is misunderstanding sonic with no fault of his own, or sonic teams rather,  if that's the fantasy land you wanna live in. You can do that by your damn self. I have interest in lying to myself. You can have that fam. Too old, and I'm nowhere near old, but even I'm too old. 

So the rest of the statement is picking apart middle of the road statement I made because you seem offended at the probably fact , that maybe more folks like TTG or DC comics related things in general than sonic stuff. Like that takes away from sonic at all. That's also some shit I'm way too old for.  

The idea that maybe MAYBE DC comics a multimillion dollar comic book company producing movies that make billions , that is known being THE BEST at making comic book cartoons, making a show that despite changing gene's might be more well recived than say sonic boom. A while fairly popular character... no where near as popular as say DC comics, and a character in a new cartoon attached to a very very shitty game. And a slightly less shitty game. That is coming from a franchise who many of the public is associating with shitty games. Maybe , just maybe that association turns people off. i don't know this idea offends you , I don't know. I would advise you get over odds, odds are more people might like TTG more than sonic boom.

And that's ok. It doesn't mean you can't like It, it doesn't mean I can't like it. That doesn't mean no one watches the show , but it does mean is that maybe CN's move to Boomerang wasn't completely unwarrented.  It just means that folks rolled the dice and TTG might be more appealing to folks. And thats fine. But if I'm not living in a fantasy land were sonic's perception is better than DC cartoons, some of the best in the game. After the bevy of shitty games. I refuse to live in that damn fantasy land. I'm too old. 

1. No they aren't really a-holes. Eccentric, cocky, a bit cuckoo occasionally, but outside of few OOC moments, mainly Amy's character found in the Boom comics which might as well have been a completely different character for how out-of-left-field it came and went, the main characters have never acted the role of of insufferable jerkass. The closest maybe you could is Sonic, but at those times even still he's mainly cocky or just annoyed having to be the straight man, and he's never truly been a dick in that show, hell he's even occasionally compassionate to the likes of Eggman!

2. So you're admitting that at "worst" the Boom characters are merely exaggerations of the mainstream versions. Although I wouldn't really condone saying that they're more based off of their comic-book counterparts to be honest. That was one of your arguments that favored TTG over Boom and yet now you're crediting SOnic Boom with that vurtue too for some reason.

I can literally name several episodes where the point was some of the characters were being insufferable assholes. Knuckles makes someone evil, by being an insufferable asshole. But ya know , lets pick and choose.  Also there is an episode where sonic being an cock dick... is the point the episode, but ok, I mean If I change the definition of asshole I guess I can argue things too. 

And I didn't admit anything, maybe you misread, or I miss-typed, the only exaggerations I said were the TT. So thanks for... putting your wrongness in bold letters I guess? Dunno what that's about. 

You would need much more budget to produce a traditionally animated series, for one thing. CG costs less. Two, if it were CG, it'd still cost more. In fact, let's list all the Sonic characters that don't have CG models (since Sonic Unleashed's character design standard was set) even though they'd probably make new ones for this anyway:

Big, Tikal, The Black Arms, Pachacamac, Tribal Echidnas, Chaos, Maria, Gerald, Commander Tower, the President and his Secretary, Blaze, Silver, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Mighty, Ray, Nack, Bark, Bean, Doom, Honey, Metal and Silver Sonics, Cream, Vanilla, Dark Gaia, Chip, Nega, Espio, Vector, Charmy, Witchcart and her minions, the Battle Kukkus, Neo Metal, Johnny, Whisker and his minions, Emerl and Gemerl, and nearly every badnik.

That's a fuckload of models to design and create.

But you know what? Those are just the game characters.

I didn't even mention the freedom fighters, their other branches, the other GUN members like Julian Snively, Relic, The Wolf Pack, The Egg Army, the Acorn Conglomerate, The Dark Arms (Eclipse, Death, those wispy ones), Chuck, Muttski, Walter Naugus, Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, Breezie, Von Schlemmer, Gold, or any number of post-SGW characters I've missed.

But let's take it even fucking further how wrong this is.

Go ahead and think about the locations of Sonic Boom. The beach, the canyon, downtown, Eggman's base, each character's house, the forest, and occasionally that icy area.

Now let's think about the archieverse's locations.

Oh wait, that's every zone from every Sonic game since 1991.

Now think of people gruelingly modeling massive sections of each zone for these characters to move through, hundreds of character models, I didn't even mention things like Emeralds, Rings, weaponry, the amount of breaking terrain that goes on in the archie comics, the super Sonic battles in space, the Ark the death egg the tornado the oergnkjavgdawdknvrxehugcuyyrdthdstdr4vgcht

Basically what I'm saying here is that no, it would not be any fucking cheaper to produce an archie-based series and that's precisely why it didn't happen and probably won't happen. The bias of yours I've been ignoring aside, Sonic Boom works because it is accessible, for both viewers and creators. Because it is not a massive sprawling saga of different locations and events, with 30 different freedom fighter, wolf pack, egg army, or gun force branches. Because it's a show about five goofy teenage heroes, a silly mustachioed doctor, robots, and lots of stuff blowing up.

You roll out a little bit at a time and don't spend all your money on creating everything at once. And you spend more or less depending on what the show brings in. And you slurge accordingly. And eventually you have a sprawling world, with a bunch of models. And you don't have to confuse everyone , because you wouldn't roll out everyone at once. You would create a narrative introducing characters when appropriate.  You know that thing most shows do.

There goes your argument. 

Action shows are expensive though. 

Edit: there are also shows with crap ton of regular characters actually, both comedic and actioney that hold their own so... that's also not an argument. 

I'm going to need you all to tell me now. If this thread is " We just accept what sonic boom does and treat it like it lives in a vacuum" the thread. I'll leave you now. If you wanna like a discussion and not treat him like it exists in a vaccum I'll keep going. The reason I ask you all this, is because someone is getting legitimately offended at the idea, that DC comic's legacy may have softened the TTG blow more than sonic's. I'll just go, its a hedgehog man. I feel like I am hurting some of you all, by saying sonic actually ain't shit. And that isn't the intent. 

Not necessarily, no. Provided occasional-to-frequent assholism is an established trait for one or more of the characters, and said character is written properly, it can still be plenty funny. I'm sure nobody who watches Rick and Morty sees Rick as the show's scrappy, and people still love Daffy Duck to this day. However, when the half the jokes on a show involve the characters (who, in the case of TTG, were once fully likable) being unlikable douchebags, especially when they have no reason to be douchebags, and we have no genuinely likable characters to sympathize with (that aren't shat on like Meg from Family Guy, who herself indulges in being an unsympathetic asshole from time to time), it just gets to be kind of depressing.

There are PLENTY of shows where the whole point of the show is every character being an unlikable asshole. Have you ever heard of something called always sunny in Philadelphia? You should watch it. Also Archer. That isn't to say it also can't be bad, i'm also someone who felt that every family guy character eventually evolved into the same sarcastic asshole, and it sort of ruined every character. The straw that broke my back was when quagmire thought it would be a good idea to tell Brian about himself, andthe dude is easily the worst person in the world. I'm rambling , point is, you aren't by any means wrong. But there are examples to the contrary. 

Oh hey, it's someone trying to counter my argument by claiming it's irrelevant when it clearly is. 

And no, it isn't good reference humor. They don't parody or make fun of something we know exists, they literally just say it exists. Saying Scrooge McDuck exists doesn't automatically funny, neither does showing Cyborg dressing up as Batman. There's no punchline to the joke. No, I don't need to broaden my comedy. Comedy is one of my favourite genres, what TTG needs to do is get a fucking idea of how comedy actually works. 

Your argument was " this is bad and sonic shouldn't do it because this one other thing is bad" that's not an argument.  I can tell you not to walk because a guy walked off a cliff once. Not exactly a good argument is it ? Next uh, there are a bunch of other references to things that are far more invovled, and taken care of that are put in interesting ways. Like batman having Jayson Todds ashes. I don't know what you were trying to do there .  Also sure man, sure on the comedy thing. Whatever makes you feel good. 

Edited by Shadowlax

You roll out a little bit at a time and don't spend all your money on creating everything at once. And eventually you have a sprawling world, with a bunch of models. And you don't have to confuse everyone , because you wouldn't roll out everyone at once. You know that thing most shows do.

There goes your argument. 

Oh wait, but consider the fact I didn't say they'd introduce everything at once, but even in it's first season adapting the point from the beginning of the war to the end of the classic games and stories a canon-based series would have to have Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Sally, Rotor, Nicole Antoine, Bunnie, Eggman, the King and Naugus probably, Mobotropolis, robotropolis, angel island, green hill, scrap brain, maybe something inbetween those, probably Amy, Metal Sonic and little planet, and maybe the wolf pack, all supposedly at the same level of quality as the boom models. And that is at the least, only to establish who has and hasn't been met yet. If we went further, we'd need Metal Sonic Kai, Breezie (apparently was in the Sonic 2 adaptation that did didn't happen), the Chaotix and 2 or more of the stages from their game, and stuff like Wendy Naugus and her minions or the battle bird armada, depending on if they appeared in the story at the same time their games did. Saying that would cost less no matter what you're judging by is just wrong. That's like saying that it would be cheaper to remake Skyrim than Mario 1 because Skyrim would take longer to finish. Do you not understand how saturated with content the old games and their comic equivilants were with other storylines, information, characters and locations?

Edited by Shaddy Joestar Dreemurr
  • Thumbs Up 1

Your argument was " this is bad and sonic shouldn't do it because this one other thing is bad" that's not an argument.  I can tell you not to walk because a guy walked off a cliff once. Not exactly a good argument is it ? Next uh, there are a bunch of other references to things that are far more invovled, and taken care of that are put in interesting ways. Like batman having Jayson Todds ashes. I don't know what you were trying to do there .  Also sure man, sure on the comedy thing. Whatever makes you feel good. 

If you really think that was my argument, you completely and utterly missed the point. I'm not sure if you're just generalizing in an attempt to get the final word in, or flat out just missed the point of the argument altogether.

No, I didn't say "this is bad, and sonic shouldn't do it". Sonic Boom shouldn't be doing it anyway, it's its own show, with it's own and better brand of humor in my opinion. What I'm saying is TTG's attempts at "humor" are shit, and insulting most of the time. Do they have the odd funny joke? Sure, they do. But please tell me know, where's the comedy in repeating the word "waffles" for 11 minutes. Where's the humor in an idiotic ratings trap which was just used to publicize the creator's idiotic idea of "OH IF YOU'RE NOT A KID, YOU SHOULDN'T WATCH CARTOONS!". Where's the humor in seeing two well developed characters being transformed into flanderized pricks who literally do whatever they can to screw over their friends, such as ruining their happy futures just to shake off responsibility for a little while, leading to everything being destroyed.

And no, Batman having Jason Todd's ashes is not good referential humor. It doesn't make fun or parody the thing it's referencing so therefore there is no punchline to the joke. All they're saying is "Oh yeah, we know this existed". Maybe if someone like Beast Boy or Cyborg accidentally mentioned Jason Todd in front of Batman, leading to either Batman breaking down and overreacting, or a traditional death stare from Batman. This would be completing the joke, because it's taking something we know existed, and then using it in a way we didn't expect to get an unprovoked reaction out of one of the characters.

And by the way, cut the little sarcasm act. Pretending you have a "much finer taste in comedy" than me doesn't make you correct.

• Thumbs Up 4

It would definitely have helped if they revealed that 25th anniversary title instead of Fire and Ice though. I'm not saying Sega's entirely innocent on that front. But I'm not blaming them outright, because they said over and over that it's not a replacement. What we need is a boom game and a main series game coming out at similar times to show that there are two canons involved.

Oh, um hi.

My name is Aqua. 

And I absolutely love Sonic Boom TV so I decided to come on this thread to talk about how much I like it and how much I think it's funny and ideas we have for the show with you lovely folks on here.

But all I see is tl;dr posts/arguments about Sonic Boom and Teen Titans Go so... Can anyone fill me in? XD Can't wait to chat with you lovely folks

also, hi. c: 

Oh, um hi.

My name is Aqua. 

And I absolutely love Sonic Boom TV so I decided to come on this thread to talk about how much I like it and how much I think it's funny and ideas we have for the show with you lovely folks on here.

But all I see is tl;dr posts/arguments about Sonic Boom and Teen Titans Go so... Can anyone fill me in? XD Can't wait to chat with you lovely folks

also, hi. c: 

Welcome!

Basically, Boom succeeds at what TTG fails to do (or, more accurately, chooses not to do well): turn a beloved group of superheroes into a comedy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome!

Basically, Boom succeeds at what TTG fails to do (or, more accurately, chooses not to do well): turn a beloved group of superheroes into a comedy.

Also a new show based on the Archie comic series would cost a lot more than Boom, CG or not.

And I didn't admit anything, maybe you misread, or I miss-typed, the only exaggerations I said were the TT.

phoenix-sweating%28a%29.gifIf that's what you actually meant then yes, you did indeed make a grammatical error there.

Declarations like what?

Declarations like this one

Sonic had a bunch of shitty games and people now associate him with shitty games, and Teen titans in the last two public appearances its made in a large format is a cartoon I don't like but everone does ( The OG TT cartoon) and on of the best super hero toon shows of all time ( young justice ). Its not any declarations that I like Teen Titains go. Its a declaration that understand there reality of the situation that sonic is in.

1.)Your declaration there again just throws out the obvious, that there are some out there who rowdily associate Sonic with mediocre games as every fanbase occasionally has such; it has nothing to do with the show supposedly being worse than TTG.

2.) This line:

Teen titans in the last two public appearances its made in a large format is a cartoon I don't like but everone does ( The OG TT cartoon) and on of the best super hero toon shows of all time ( young justice ).

You're going out of your way to constantly claim that you don't like the Teen Titans but constantly claiming that everyone else loves it, which gives off the sense of brown-nosing TTG, never mind the fact that how good TT and Young Justice were hasn't even really scored TTG points itself unless we 're going off of comparisons to past material which are more negative than positive in TTG's case. It really speaks volumes when the main leading criticism of TTG is that it pales in comparison to the original series.

Also, I should inform you just how ironic it is, you trying to use Young Justice as a past public appearance that scores an advantage for TTG over Boom when it's a well known fact that a massive selection of folk abhor TTG for heralding the cancellation of Young Justice and downright replacing it. A bit of food for thought, you don't see Sonic Boom the tv series having to deal with that kind of baggage. And it was even made worse when a particular episode made TTG officially a reboot of the original series, but I'll come back to that later.

And thats fine. But if I'm not living in a fantasy land were sonic's perception is better than DC cartoons, some of the best in the game. After the bevy of shitty games. I refuse to live in that damn fantasy land. I'm too old. 

Kay, I really need to address this, and take it the wrong way, but seriously, your grammar is hurting your argument in many ways especially in places like here. Not in the sense that it always makes your arguments invalid, but the fact that they screw with the message you're trying to convey.  Like here for instance, it's hard to tell on what grounds you're actually comparing Sonic Boom to Teen Titans Go! on. Games, tv shows, what is the focus??

And why would you even use games that don't even share the same quality team as the show to try and argue what Sonic's entire perception of a franchise is, as opposed to y'know, actually comparing the quality of the two tv shows? If you want to argue that more people like Teen Titans Go! then try using more virtues of the itself, because other wise you're just portraying TTG as something that's so creatively bankrupt that it mainly relies on, as I previously stated, riding the coattails of its predecessor. Furthermore, Sonic Boom in fact actually set out to be its own universe and didn't have to rely on the hype of a bigger better fan-demanded source material which TTG very well did exploit when it was first announced and whatnot.

So the rest of the statement is picking apart middle of the road statement I made because you seem offended at the probably fact , that maybe more folks like TTG or DC comics related things in general than sonic stuff. Like that takes away from sonic at all. That's also some shit I'm way too old for.

HOLD IT right there! You can't just try and falsely win this one by trying to put claims into our mouths. This debate has been solely comparing Sonic Boom to Teen Titans Go! alone. Not "other DC comic-related material". That's a fraudulent tactic that suggests that you don't even really believe that TTG alone is truly better, let alone even has better reception than Boom the tv series.

....Unless it's another grammatical error in which case, it's just a plain mean-spirited, attempt of slander. Anyway, why do you want to think I'm offended by a "probably fact" as you yourself put it? Ignoring the lack of evidence you've produced actually backing up your assertion, at this point you're not even arguing which show has better quality, but which one is actually more popular. Sure I'll still cross-examine and contest such a notion, but as far as your original claims that TTG is the actual better show goes, claiming that more people like X than Y is irrelevant to the question of quality.

I can literally name several episodes where the point was some of the characters were being insufferable assholes. Knuckles makes someone evil, by being an insufferable asshole. But ya know , lets pick and choose.  Also there is an episode where sonic being an cock dick... is the point the episode, but ok, I mean If I change the definition of asshole I guess I can argue things too. 

You're being awfully and conveniently vague with those episodes you're referring to. The episode with Knuckles you bring up, yeah he didn't cause the guy, Charlie was his name mind you, to go evil out of being an asshole; it was actually sparked out of good intentions on Knuckles' part to try and make amends to someone he felt he wronged. Hardly the "insufferable" jerk you take him to be.For someone who claims to apparently like Boom, that's a bit of an egregious error to make.

As for your vague Sonic quip, you're honestly going to have to be more specific. Not only have you made a vague claim but it appears you're also missing the point of Sonic's character. As I said, he tends to be cocky, snarky, and even a bit of an ass, as is per usual with Sonic in pretty much all current forms of media. What stops him from being an insufferable jerk like the cast of TTG is that he doesn't let those negatives consume his entire characterization and in said episodes that focus on his cocky nature, he gets proper comeuppance for it. Sonic doesn't fit the bill because all in all, his character in Boom is never built up nor even maintained as such.

I'm going to need you all to tell me now. If this thread is " We just accept what sonic boom does and treat it like it lives in a vacuum" the thread. I'll leave you now. If you wanna like a discussion and not treat him like it exists in a vaccum I'll keep going. The reason I ask you all this, is because someone is getting legitimately offended at the idea, that DC comic's legacy may have softened the TTG blow more than sonic's. I'll just go, its a hedgehog man. I feel like I am hurting some of you all, by saying sonic actually ain't shit. And that isn't the intent. 

'Kay, seriously man, I think you're taking this whole thing a bit too seriously (and you're a bit too eager to pat yourself on the back) if you really think that you've actually managed to produce that level of drama. But hey, if you really feel the need to try and portray my refusal to give in to your claims when evidence mixed with my own experience says otherwise, as moi actually taking your conjecture to heart so you can exit feeling you've won this round, by all means feel free to go.

Just please don't resort to trying to paint the entire thread as a hive mind that mindlessly loves Sonic, all in an attempt to try and discredit those who find Boom to be objectively better than TTG.

• Thumbs Up 4

Welcome!

Ahh thanks. Sorry but for those super long Titans Go posts- tl;dr.

anyway, since this IS a Sonic Boom thread- well firstly I will admit I did enjoy a few things in Teen Titans Go (the episode where Robin has to watch over the Batcave killed me in sorry but I had to laugh where he spray painted 'Joker Was Here' on the Batmobile) I honestly don't watch it and I will say Sonic Boom is 10x better.

The reason why I love Sonic Boom's comedy so much is because of how freaking random it is. That is what Sonic should be. That's why this show is so great to me is because it's such a great show for Sonic even if the universe is completely different. It takes a lot for me to laugh aloud, and I've must've laughed for like forever because of some of the absolute random insane shit that happens in each episode. This is what Sonic should be in terms of writing. Now cheesy cringe worthy jokes like Colors, but completely random silly light hearted insane moments like the ones in Boom. Moments like Knuckles flying, that random thrash can guy in "Just a Guy" and Sonic making those weird sounds when he was bored (I died when I saw that episode). I realized this after watching reaction videos of people watching the show like Squidtepig Wilson (him eapecially) because you see how they laugh and crack up in these random moments and it was this that made me love it even more. No matter how shitty my day is watching that will put a smile back on my face. This is what Sonic should be, and what Sonic is, well at least to me. (Seriously though wtf Roger Craig Smith those voices)

• Thumbs Up 3

While I'm not disagreeing one bit that this show nails Sonic humor, I'm not sure I'd call it "random" outside of Sticks's character. It's more wacky and sporadic with self-referential humor thrown in for a series with a history of awkward or downright strange lore - the same as every long-lasting game franchise has and should make fun of. This series also heralded an ongoing trope that you could also say started with some of the post-SGW archie comics and has inspired multiple game communities through the social media outlets - being able to laugh at yourself and your fans. I mean, how much less have we heard assholes break their own arms jacking themselves off to the stupid shit of chris-chan and the people like him nowadays? A lot less, because the moment the people responsible for the series learn to laugh at those people and themselves, in the same moment that kinda shit stops happening and people just have a good time laughing at the things you're supposed to laugh at. While it only intended to launch a new alternate dimension version of the Sonic series, this show and the changes made to Sonic Team and sega's very construction launched a new attitude for game companies, which only maybe Valve used very often beforehand.

Ahh thanks. Sorry but for those super long Titans Go posts- tl;dr.

anyway, since this IS a Sonic Boom thread- well firstly I will admit I did enjoy a few things in Teen Titans Go (the episode where Robin has to watch over the Batcave killed me in sorry but I had to laugh where he spray painted 'Joker Was Here' on the Batmobile) I honestly don't watch it and I will say Sonic Boom is 10x better.

The reason why I love Sonic Boom's comedy so much is because of how freaking random it is. That is what Sonic should be. That's why this show is so great to me is because it's such a great show for Sonic even if the universe is completely different. It takes a lot for me to laugh aloud, and I've must've laughed for like forever because of some of the absolute random insane shit that happens in each episode. This is what Sonic should be in terms of writing. Now cheesy cringe worthy jokes like Colors, but completely random silly light hearted insane moments like the ones in Boom. Moments like Knuckles flying, that random thrash can guy in "Just a Guy" and Sonic making those weird sounds when he was bored (I died when I saw that episode). I realized this after watching reaction videos of people watching the show like Squidtepig Wilson (him eapecially) because you see how they laugh and crack up in these random moments and it was this that made me love it even more. No matter how shitty my day is watching that will put a smile back on my face. This is what Sonic should be, and what Sonic is, well at least to me. (Seriously though wtf Roger Craig Smith those voices)

I don't know about "random," but I definitely agree that Sonic is generally at its best when it's just being lighthearted and silly (not stupid), which is what Sonic Boom is. Also, you watch Squid? That's awesome! I love that guy; his videos always give me something to look forward to on Saturdays besides the Sonic Boom episodes themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I'm not disagreeing one bit that this show nails Sonic humor, I'm not sure I'd call it "random" outside of Sticks's character. It's more wacky and sporadic with self-referential humor thrown in for a series with a history of awkward or downright strange lore - the same as every long-lasting game franchise has and should make fun of. This series also heralded an ongoing trope that you could also say started with some of the post-SGW archie comics and has inspired multiple game communities through the social media outlets - being able to laugh at yourself and your fans. I mean, how much less have we heard assholes break their own arms jacking themselves off to the stupid shit of chris-chan and the people like him nowadays? A lot less, because the moment the people responsible for the series learn to laugh at those people and themselves, in the same moment that kinda shit stops happening and people just have a good time laughing at the things you're supposed to laugh at. While it only intended to launch a new alternate dimension version of the Sonic series, this show and the changes made to Sonic Team and sega's very construction launched a new attitude for game companies, which only maybe Valve used very often beforehand.

I don't know about "random," but I definitely agree that Sonic is generally at its best when it's just being lighthearted and silly (not stupid), which is what Sonic Boom is. Also, you watch Squid? That's awesome! I love that guy; his videos always give me something to look forward to on Saturdays besides the Sonic Boom episodes themselves.

Yeah actually scratch the word random out- wacky and sporadic is a better way to put it. Again, I love this so much because againagain; Sonic should be wacky and silly. I've noticed in playthroughs of the great Sonic games like Colors, Generations and Unleashed (day time at least, just trying I use examples the great part is just opinion) the players literally have no idea what's going on due to how crazy it is. Well, no idea in a good way. It's things like that that's reason why I'm such a huge fan of Sonic. Going back to the show again, yes, comedy like that is what's best for Sonic. Don't get me wrong, I like the darker edge plots in Sonic like Adventure 1 and 2, but I think overall Sonic is meant to have that light hearted wacky thing to it. That's just what Sonic should be. And I think the show did a damn good job at it. Obviously, this is just me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty much. It is a spin-off and not a reboot. I think you're among the first to really say this.

It has been stated by SEGA and people associated with Boom on numerous occasions that this is a parallel universe/different branch of the franchise that has nothing to do with the main series canon. It is constantly stated that Boom is different from main series Sonic and they are not one in the same. No canon was re-written, nothing was rebooted, it was an alternative interpretation of Sonic in an alternative universe that has absolutely nothing to do with main series Sonic:

I honestly do not know why people are spreading lies about the status of the Boom universe (something else SEGA has done, they labeled it as just that: the Boom universe) when it was made clear that the original canon is not going anywhere and is not related to Boom whatsoever.

Like or hate Boom all you want, but it does not have any relation to the main universe.

It still amazes that there are people who still think Boom!Sonic is taking over the SEGA!Sonic series, despite what others (and SEGA themselves) are saying that was never the case.

• Thumbs Up 4

It still amazes that there are people who still think Boom!Sonic is taking over the SEGA!Sonic series, despite what others (and SEGA themselves) are saying that was never the case.

Makes you question if they're being ignorant or very paranoid like a certain feral badger we know.

• Thumbs Up 1

Makes you question if they're being ignorant or very paranoid like a certain feral badger we know.

love you guys so much. I don't see why people freak out over it so badly. Sure, the Boom games are pretty bad in a bunch of things, but the show makes up so much for it. I just don't know why people are trying to say it's the same universe when it's clearly not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also a new show based on the Archie comic series would cost a lot more than Boom, CG or not.

But it would be better than both boom and teen titans go though, none of you can deny that.

But it would be better than both boom and teen titans go though, none of you can deny that.

Since I could never really get into the Archie comics, I can totally deny that (at least, I can definitely say it wouldn't be better for me).

• Thumbs Up 1

I've only watched a handful of episodes and just from that I can honestly say the writers need to choose who these characters are (minus Eggman, he's awesome as the neighborhood bully). Sometimes Sonic and co. are complete douchebags to each other and the villagers, other times they are best of friends and the villagers love them and then once in a while they are close to their Sega counterparts. I've never seen this in any series, ever, it just baffles me.

As for the animation, I really like it (which is saying something as I don't usually like CGI TV shows). Sometimes the action is a little stiff and the flying objects are awkward to watch, but nothing terrible. The voice work is my favorite part, everyone does a great job voicing their character's-personality-at-the-moment. The only one I feel bad for is Mr. Kirk Thornton (Shadow's VA), he is getting all sorts of trash-talk from everyone for doing his job. I have no idea why Sega and the people in charge of the cartoon insist on having Shadow sound and act like the way he does, but a VA should never get attacked for doing his or her job. To be honest, Mr. Thornton does an awesome job voicing Boom-Shadow, the voice fits the character's personality perfectly.

That's just my two-cents on the show.