Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

Hopefully "blue arms" doesn't become the new "green eyes".

Though, admittedly, I'm not much of a fan of Sonic's new blue arms. It kind of unbalances his color scheme, to me.

Hopefully "blue arms" doesn't become the new "green eyes".

Though, admittedly, I'm not much of a fan of Sonic's new blue arms. It kind of unbalances his color scheme, to me.

Too late, buddy.

Yup, it already has. 

Classic: Green Eyes

Modern: Blue Arms

Honestly, I like the clothes added with sonic's redesign but not all the body changes, I like amy's design fully. Hell I put them in the games.

But tails and knux?.... no. 

So I was going to ask this in the status updates, but I thought it would be better to make a topic about it. So what do you guys think of the new characters designs ?

I wonder if their planning on bringing back any other characters from the series..hmmm 
Also, they said they now have "unique personalities" ]what do you guys think of this change?

I personally like Amy's new outfit, it looks really cute, and Tails now has a bit of an edge in his design, I like it. 

Knuckles's though... I think its okay, I have a feeling I might change my mind later on. 

Sonic's AKA "LONG SONIC" needs time to grow on me. It's kinda weird seeing him like that. (BLUE ARM) XD
 And Finally Egg-man, I really like his new design, it's fitting. I can't wait to see more of him and his eggy antics. happy.png

2u4ihlj.jpg

Now for the king himself.

1126cd4c-8964-4add-b9f6-a7daae94e9a6_zps

So beast.

Sonic and Knuckles are a bit too tall, I don't like Knuckles having fingers, they've gone overboard on the wrappings, and I don't like how the stray spine on the top of Sonic's head is modeled dead center.

Those are all fairly minor complaints though and otherwise they're ok. I'm not even bothered by Knuckles bulking up, really.

I will say I don't hate Knux nearly as much as I expected... Dare I say, maybe the people who said "don't jump to conclusions, it's just a silhouette!" were right.

Though I still don't really dig it. Tails and Amy I can get behind, Sonic I can't quite tell. Definitely no Oshima Sonic but I guess he's okay.

Amy and Tails look fine, but Amy's outfit looks like it's made out of plastic (that mainly has to do with the way the animation renders it, though), while I'm not fond of Sonic and Knuckles in the slightest.

Sonic is just too tall and making his arms blue is a pointless change, while Knuckles' redesign is one of the worst I've seen in terms of, well, anything. 

That's really all I've got right now. Maybe I'm so used to the regular designs that I'm having trouble comprehending them, but they just don't jibe with me at all. At its worst, it looks like some average deviantart artist redesigning the Sonic cast on a really bad day.

• Thumbs Up 8

All I'm going to say for now is that they're made a real mistake in giving the characters elbows and knees. It's perhaps okay for Knuckles considering his shapes, but everyone else has rubber-hose limbs. They should work as such.

12335880275_dabf4eab0e.jpg

I think I'll be able to get used to all of the designs, and even enjoy them. But that parts really ought to change. It's everso awkard.

• Thumbs Up 8

Knuckles is the only one that I seem to not like in terms of change. Everyone else is fine, if not good.

Amy's "minnie mouse" voice and her new design might not fit together.

Maybe she'll tone down her voice a bit?

Anyways, as I said before I think Knuckles' design is going to take some time getting used to. The thing that bothers me most about him is his head which is way too small compared to the rest of his huge body. I'm not keen on it, but admittedly it's not awful.

Sonic looks cool (his blue arms don't bother me at all) and Tails and Amy look very decent. So besides Knux and the vast amounts of sport's tape there's nothing wrong with them really.

I think Amy has the best design out of all of them. Sonic is my second favorite followed by Tails. Knuckles' design isn't as horrible as I thought it would be but at the same time it's not anything spectacular either. But I absolutely love Eggman's design.

If Rogue, Metal Sonic, or Shadow show up in this continuity I'm eager to see what they look like.

I like the redesigns except for 2 things I'll have to get used to. The blue arms (NEW GREEN EYES), and the bandages covering Sonic's trademark shoes. Other than that I dig, even the weird extra spikes.

They're not as bad as I thought they'd be... but I really don't like Sonic Boom's design for Knuckles, like at all. To be a broken record, Knuckles always demonstrated that you don't need to be big to be strong, and he's arguably the strongest character on Sonic's side (which makes his current cheerleader/do-nothing status in the main games troubling and wasteful) and his first appearance involves him knocking Super Sonic out without breaking a sweat (why wasn't this explored more?). There's also the issue that his head and body don't even look like they go together. I showed the designs to my sister, who isn't much of a Sonic fan, just to see what she thought, and that was her first comment as well. I've also complained about the wraps, but I'm being just a tiny bit hypocritical. Doesn't change the fact that they went mad overboard with them either way though (are the wraps holding Sonic's shoes together?). I mean, the wraps can work, but except for Knuckles, they serve no purpose on any of these characters.

Sonic is growing on me seeing the model in motion (they gotta work on that run though), and Amy looks the best of the bunch, but all in all, I'm not really warm to these looks. Call me a curmudgeon for just preferring the official SEGA/Sonic Team designs we've seen for the last 15/16 years (cripes I feel old thinking about that), but it definitely felt like a case of "if ain't broke, don't fix it" for me. Those designs lent themselves fine to just any medium they were in, but I can't hate on the people behind "Sonic Boom" for trying something new... not that that means I automatically have to like what they did. Though, for all my criticism, they're not nearly as awful as we'd been dreading for months (except Knuckles). The series being a spin-off/sub-series helps tremendously with that, at least for me. I've seen worse redesigns recently *looks at upcoming TMNT movie--itself spin-off media*.

If Rogue, Metal Sonic, or Shadow show up in this continuity I'm eager to see what they look like.

As long as it's not Hawaiian Shadow (or Shadow and Rouge being the equivalent of Jessie and James from Pokémon), I think I can take it.

Out of all of them, I am kind of unsure how to feel about Knuckles and Eggman; with Knuckles, I can get behind his redesign in body structure, but I'm not too keen on those spines. As for Eggman, I think my main issue there is with the shape of his head and the color of the suit; his head is a bit too round than I'm used to, I think. There's one thing about Sonic, and that's that his arms and legs are /really/ flimsy-looking; like 06 flimsy-looking. These are kind of minor nitpicks, but they're just my frustrations with the new designs really. 

As for the addition of the scarf, even though I don't mind it as much as the unnecessary overhaul of sports tape, it can be a bit of a speed hazard/hindrance if it gets caught or snagged by something like a branch when Sonic is running and jumping at high speeds. It'll be like he's wearing a noose in those regards.

I still prefer the peach arms over the blue ones and I've already said that Buffles is the only one that I dislike the most because of the unnecessary awkward build and proportions. Tails and Amy are okay for the most part. 

I actually quite like them. I like Knuckles a lot more than the game-canon model, since I feel like his head was too big for his body in post-'06 games. I get that some people think the body is too big here, but I think it looks really good actually, proportion-wise. Amy and Tails look to similar for me to even differentiate from the originals, although I like that she's no longer wearing the same red costume. 'Dunno, it's nice to have a fresh of breath air here and there. Sonic though...

I don't like Sonic in the concept art, and the in-game model just doesn't look right to me. They either made him too tall, or too slender, I can't really tell. The TV trailer looked great in my opinion, but the game model just looks really weird to me, I can't really put my finger on it...

My only other complaint is the excessive amount of sports tape, but it's nothing terrible. Other than that though, I quite like the designs, and dare I say it, I wouldn't mind seeing them in the game-canon one day if SEGA decides to do such a thing.

Anyways, as I said before I think Knuckles' design is going to take some time getting used to. The thing that bothers me most about him is his head which is way too small compared to the rest of his huge body.

If his head were bigger, it'd be too big compared to everyone else's heads. I imagine it only looks small because they've changed the relative proportions of his head and body, but that's just something we're going to have to roll with until we get used to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is my opinion on the matter:

Sonic:  He looks a little too skinny, and tall...like he went through a taffy pull, took a nap and forgot to fix his hair. the blue arms make him look as if he is wearing a sweater, and the scarf... it makes him look very diferent than his personality. he is a free spirited person, and his scarf usually represents a close minded/ rules and regulation type person: which he is not.   But in reality, he still looks okay.

Tails:  He looks cute. the tool belt is kinda a cute addition, but I feel like his general facial expression there looks sassy...actually, for some unknown reason, when I see his expression, I think of Snap, Crackle, and Pop from Rice Krispies... don't ask me why... I have no idea :P But overall, he didn't change much, and is still adorable!

Amy:  She looks real cute! she doesn't look much different really, but has different clothes. the only thing is, she also looks more flirty due to her facial expression... I always thought of her as a little more "sweet and innocent" than "flirty" but that may just be me.

Eggman: no opinion since I haven't seen him.

And ... of course.....

Knuckles:

.....Look, I am not saying I don't like Knuckles, and if he was a real person., I would dislike him if his appearance changed. but in fact, he is a character, and as a designed character, I think the way a character looks says a lot a bout them. 9that is just to clear you up, i still love Knuckles, no matter what ^_^) anyways...

I think His design is .. BAD. he fits that "big dumb guy" stereotype too much. I miss his GIANT hands , his lego shoes, and how his shoes were boots !!! now it looks like socks! :P.   His head looks too small too... I dunno. That look is great for Storm, because He was designed to be that way. Knuckles was not!!! and He is sooo tall. I always liked the fact that he was soooo strong, even though he looked weaker. It was a bonus! I dunno... It will take me a LONG time to accept that drawing as the real Knuckles...especially if his personality changes to fit his new stereotype appearance..

I hate that Sega can humiliate him even more.... maybe Izuka really does hate  Knuckles after all.

• Thumbs Up 4

Knuckles looks just as bad as I expected.

Sonic looks like fanart. Granted, it doesn't look horrible, and I think I will get used to it, but it looks like it came straight out of DeviantArt. I suppose it would look better without the bandages. The in-game model is atrocious though, but I'll pass that off as early-development animations

Amy is actually an improvement. It also helps that she came off as a badass in the trailer. I actually hope this design replaces the one in the regular games, because it's the best she's ever looked.

Tails is okay. The bandages look stupid, but he looks like himself. I don't really have much to say about it, it fits him well, I guess.

Robotnik looks pretty good. The mustache is a tad too small if you ask me, but I like it overall. I think he is proportioned in an odd way, but I don't hate it.

All and all, it could have been WAY worse.

• Thumbs Up 3

All I'm going to say for now is that they're made a real mistake in giving the characters elbows and knees. It's perhaps okay for Knuckles considering his shapes, but everyone else has rubber-hose limbs. They should work as such.

I think I'll be able to get used to all of the designs, and even enjoy them. But that parts really ought to change. It's everso awkard.

That's what it was. I was wondering why they suddenly look so freakish and gangly.

God after the initial hype has gone done, I'm dreading this.

It just tries too hard and strays away from what Sonic is meant to be - simple. People are just gonna laugh at this, it's embarrassing.

• Thumbs Up 4