Awoo.

I do not think Sonic would kill them.
Make them regret there actions? yes.
Make them regret the day they were born? Maybe.

I hope that Sonic finds it in him to kill them if they ever see those stupid idiots. Poor Tails.

Kind of harsh, don't you think? If nothing else, it'd be completely out of character for either Sonic or Tails to seek vengeance to such a degree. 

A more fitting conclusion would be a situation where Tails returns to the island to free them from Eggman's clutches, with the end result of them respecting and honoring Tails for his skills and bravery. Not only would that be believable, it'd make for a rather nice story arc, especially considering Tails' recent development towards having a bit of an ego problem.

"Why should I help them? They made fun of me! ...but it is the right thing to do..."

Let him come to terms with himself through that kind of story arc or something. Part of growing up and maturing is understanding that sometimes you simply have to forgive and forget, even if they can't make up for the harm they've done.

But either way, killing is far too out of character and downright ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 6

I higly doubt Tails would have the guts to kill or seriously injure his bullies. At best, he'd probably swagger about the fact he's now an aknowledged and rewarded hero, and that all the times he helped Sonic to save the world, he undirectly saved them as well.

But, if we're talking about outright evil monsters without a trace of redeemability, I think even Tails can have the guts to do a self-defense killing.

tumblr_mv5b1aifWf1skgjsto3_500.png

If only he had a better aim...

herp de derp tails

He used to be one of my favorite characters before the Colors writing team and certain other elements (which I won't dive too deeply into for respect of possibly offending a large group of people [and I usually don't take that into consideration]) rolled along and ruined my opinion of him. I'd hang the phone up there and be done with it, but I must say that I do enjoy his Boom design a fair bit for whatever reason...perhaps it the goggles? But anyway, looking back at a time when I did have a fairly big interest in the character, his classic design was my favorite in terms of physical appearance. I may say, in fact, that I enjoyed everything about him regarding the older cartoons (AoSTH) and classic games more than I did his later iterations.

I hope that they don't go too overboard in Boom by making Tails narcissistic and rude.  I've had just about enough "i r smrtr than u" Tails for one lifetime. Yes, I get that intelligence is sort of his calling card these days, but I feel like he could show it in such a way that doesn't put him up on some sort of proverbial pedestal, looking down on Sonic for how supposeively useless he is in the brains department.

i find it sad that Tails, my fav game character, used to be bullied for his two tails, before he met Sonic. Thats just cruel of them to make fun of Tails! I hope that Sonic finds it in him to kill them if they ever see those stupid idiots. Poor Tails.

Ah, yes. Children being jerks. MURDER THEM.

I hope that they don't go too overboard in Boom by making Tails narcissistic and rude.  I've had just about enough "i r smrtr than u" Tails for one lifetime. Yes, I get that intelligence is sort of his calling card these days, but I feel like he could show it in such a way that doesn't put him up on some sort of proverbial pedestal, looking down on Sonic for how supposeively useless he is in the brains department.

At what point does he take potshots at Sonic's intelligence, again?

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah, yes. Children being jerks. MURDER THEM.

At what point does he take potshots at Sonic's intelligence, again?

Theres a scene in Sonic Colors which particularly annoys me. Unfortunately I can't link to it at the moment as Youtube is giving me some trouble..

I may have worded it a bit off in my previous post. What I'm getting at is that I don't like his general arrogance in regards to his intelligence. It just sort of reeks of a "smarter than you" type of attitude, and I personally interpreted it as him looking down on Sonic.  I haven't actually played Sonic Lost World, but I've heard rumors that it gets worse in that game.

looking down on Sonic for how supposeively useless he is in the brains department

Yeah, Tails loves to swagger about his smartness and can be annoying at times, but "looking down on Sonic"? This is not the impression I had. While he is vital on fixing machines, translating alien languages and whatnot, Sonic's the one who kicks villains' asses and puts them in their place.

nicework_zpscd668e7f.png

While he's not impressed anymore, Tails still gives Sonic the credit he deserves and doesn't devalues it at all.

Theres a scene in Sonic Colors which particularly annoys me. Unfortunately I can't link to it at the moment as Youtube is giving me some trouble..

The specific part of the scene you're talking about goes like this, Sonic jokingly questions Tails "We" when he mentions that they stopped Eggman's plans for good at the moment, Sonic says that Tails didn't go around destroying any of the enemies or the giant boss robots and Tails acknowledges that he didn't do all of that, but does return a response saying if it wasn't for him, they could've been wandering around the place not knowing where to go. Tails was not talking down to Sonic, really don't even know how you could come to this conclusion...especially since his tone has NO sign of sass or anything similar.

All Tails did was stating the way that he helped Sonic stop Dr. Eggman, nothing else to it.

The specific part of the scene you're talking about goes like this, Sonic jokingly questions Tails "We" when he mentions that they stopped Eggman's plans for good at the moment, Sonic says that Tails didn't go around destroying any of the enemies or the giant boss robots and Tails acknowledges that he didn't do all of that, but does return a response saying if it wasn't for him, they could've been wandering around the place not knowing where to go. Tails was not talking down to Sonic, really don't even know how you could come to this conclusion...especially since his tone has NO sign of sass or anything similar.

All Tails did was stating the way that he helped Sonic stop Dr. Eggman, nothing else to it.

This is interesting, how you know which scene I'm referring to without me having said a word about it; And if you know it because of its popularity with people who share my opinion, then it stands that I'm not the only one who feels this way, and therefore, its not unreasonable. I just don't like his attitude; It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp. Out of curiosity, I googled "Tails attitude in Sonic Lost World" to see if I could provide you with a few examples of why, since that game and Colors were penned by the same people. Lo' and behold, one of the first things to grace my screen in the results is this:

...it does come off as rather uncharacteristically fickle for Tails to have this propensity all of a sudden for knocking down Sonic a peg...

Its this sort of thing that agitates me.

This is interesting, how you know which scene I'm referring to without me having said a word about it; And if you know it because of its popularity with people who share my opinion, then it stands that I'm not the only one who feels this way, and therefore, its not unreasonable. I just don't like his attitude; It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp. Out of curiosity, I googled "Tails attitude in Sonic Lost World" to see if I could provide you with a few examples of why, since that game and Colors were penned by the same people. Lo' and behold, one of the first things to grace my screen in the results is this:

Its this sort of thing that agitates me.

Knocking Sonic down a peg...is there something wrong for Tails being able to do it at all, or is it how much he does it? I don't remember him doing it that much...not to the point where it was obnoxiously out of character.

This is interesting, how you know which scene I'm referring to without me having said a word about it; And if you know it because of its popularity with people who share my opinion, then it stands that I'm not the only one who feels this way, and therefore, its not unreasonable.

Ain't nothing stopping a whole lotta people from being wrong.

Honestly I just don't see how people see any kind of malice or smugness or elitism or...whatever, from anything Tails has done recently. At the most, a bit (and just a tiny bit) of Sonic's snarkiness has finally rubbed off on him, and since they're friends they can joke around with each other. Nothing that's happened between them recently I couldn't see happening between actual friends.

This is interesting, how you know which scene I'm referring to without me having said a word about it

You already said enough about it back there a few posts ago...

I've had just about enough "i r smrtr than u" Tails for one lifetime.

... and then replied to Dio's post saying it was a scene in Colours that was bothering you, so it's not hard to connect the dots. It's the only scene in the game where he acts like that, and even then it's in jest to poke at Sonic, who was clearly only praising himself in jest just to get Tails' reaction from him trying to steal the show right at the end. He knows full well he couldn't have done it without Tails, and was just continuing the theme of the game; delving into their brotherly friendship and allowing their characters to bounce off each other.

Which then gets a follow up right near the start of Lost World ,where they both tease each other about if Tails has finally fixed the Tornado in the time Sonic spent been running around saving animals, busting Badniks, confronting Eggman, facing one of the Zeti twice... and once again, neither of them is actually upset by the other's quipping, especially Tails from Sonic even starting these quips both times, and they set off with absolutely no ill feelings towards each other.

I haven't actually played Sonic Lost World, but I've heard rumors that it gets worse in that game.

Out of curiosity, I googled "Tails attitude in Sonic Lost World"

Let me get this straight. Instead of checking Sonic Lost World for yourself and then making your own opinion, you just... googled someone else's opinion and decided "yeah I agree this is 100% true"?

I strongly recommand you to first look the game for yourself if you really want to talk about it.

If your opinion of Tails won't change, good. But at least use your own eyes and your own brain instead of being so passive.

• Thumbs Up 2

So here's the next place I want to take this discussion. How would you want to see Tails developed? What portrayal in any media is your favorite? To you, what is the truest and most believable way you see Tails? 

I'm curious to see what everyone has to say.

So here's the next place I want to take this discussion. How would you want to see Tails developed? What portrayal in any media is your favorite? To you, what is the truest and most believable way you see Tails? 

I would like to see Tails being a mix of Lost World and Adventure 1, the brave kid fox that is extremely gifted in hacking and the such but is not afraid to tell Sonic when he's in the wrong. I liked Tails' portrayal in Lost World and in Adventure 1 and it's also what I believe what Tails should be like.

Take SLoW Tails, have him get on the front line every once in a while, and I think I'd be pretty much satisfied. Overall I like how he's matured a bit, and become confident and competent in his own way instead of just mimicking Sonic, but I feel they've gone a little too far in rejecting his previous role. He may not be as fast or as tough as Sonic, but that doesn't mean he needs to be relegated to a desk job forever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Feeling like I want to say this as well (I know this argument is becoming kind of annoying at this point, so forgive me if I point it out one more time)

It annoys me to no end that, when talking about LostWorld!Tails, only his negative deeds are remembered.

Even I agree that he’s annoying when he swagger about how he build a tv out of paper clips ect,

Even I wanted to punch him when he said “ya think?” after Sonic admitted he should have listened to him.

Even I wanted to shut him up when he yelled “why you trust Eggman more than meeh?!!!!11?”

…but then he gets better.

After the Cubot incident Sonic gets pissed and scolds Tails. Does Tails yell back and be even more of an asshole? No! He feels sorry and sad! He realizes he was doing it wrong!

Then they run into the Zetis’ trap. Tails realizes it’s… well, a trap, but Sonic ignores him. What does Tails do? Does he let Sonic get captured out of spite? No! He panickingly tries to save Sonic and sacrifices himself. The priority in Tails’ mind is clerly Sonic’s safety, and NOT his own selfish desire to be recognized by everyone.

Fast forward to Lava Mountain. Tails scares the crap out of the Zetis and forces them to run away like pussies. Sonic shows his happiness to have Tails back, then run after the Zetis to finish them off once and for all. What does Tails do?

gokicktheirasses_zps93642d57.png

A gesture that probably means “Good luck, Sonic!” or “You can do it, Sonic!” or “Kick their asses, Sonic!”.

Bear in mind that no one is around to see Tails doing this gesture, yet he does it anyway. This is not how a selfish prick acts.

Then Sonic defeats the Zetis. What’s the very first thing Tails say?

"Nice work."

Y-ep. He compliments Sonic. Tails loves to swagger about his own technical abilities, but he never, NEVER, devalues Sonic’s merits.

Then Eggman pops out revealing his evil schemes, but Sonic defeats him too. Tails… yes, he swagger a bit about how he was right all along (he says: “you know you didn’t need Eggman, right?”), and Sonic apologizes and promises he’ll never doubt Tails again. Tails’ reply: "It's cool."

It's cool. No problem. No hard feelings. Don't mention it.

Yes, Tails was kind of an as***le at the beginning of the game, but then he develops for the better.

• Thumbs Up 7

• 2 months later...

I was thinking about the Sonic characters and how they are similar to other characters.
Like how Sonic runs fast like the flash.
Knuckles gliding with his dreadlocks is sort of original but not entirely.
He is not rely flying he is just “falling with style.”
But Tails flying with his Tails has to be one of the most original ides sega came up with.

What other character can do any thing like that?

A little late to the party but here it goes:

I always loved the Sonic OVA portrayal of Tails the best overall. He acted like a kid who wanted to be just like Sonic, but he was also a pretty capable character on the front lines and of course was also gifted mechanic/inventor/whatever technical title you want to give him. Plus he had his own weaknesses, like being afraid of lightning.

While I don't want Tails to be just sidekick kidnap bait all the time, I also don't like the other extreme the writers have taken him in making him a little too cocky and arrogant at times. I also miss him being a part of the action, something that Sonic Boom looks to be fixing at least on some level. Definitely highlight that he is a smart kid, but at the end of the day he is still just a kid that looks up to Sonic. Sometimes I feel like that part of it has been lost in trying to show everyone that Sonic is the hero and Tails is there to provide technical support.

Okay since this topic is relevant again, I might as well put down my two cents regarding how Tails was portrayed in LW despite knowing it's probably still a big can of worms like the rest of the game.

It...definitely could've been handled better. I'm open to the idea of seeing conflict between Sonic and Tails (though admittedly Archie's House of Cards soured it for me) just as long as it respects both characters and doesn't demoralize one side to make the other look good. Lost World...almost got this right. Here we have Sonic trying to fix his mistake even if it meant teaming up with Eggman. But Tails obviously had issue with this. What was this issue in particular?

He thinks Sonic puts more trust in Eggman than him.

Umm, Tails, you know damn well Sonic isn't too pleased with teaming up with the guy either, so I don't think trust is the problem here. All he had to do was probably make a compelling argument against the team-up by making it a point that Eggman's going to betray you both once he gets what he wants because he's the kind of person who'd do that. But no, this was just of matter of him being jealous and thinking Sonic doesn't have any confidence in him anymore.

Again, this had a good set-up. But the execution and reasoning behind is what made it fall flat in my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah Tails, what can I say about him that other people haven't?

Tails is one of my favorite characters of the series, beaten only by Sonic himself. He has some wonderful qualities that really put him up there for me, including, but not limited to;

His mechanical genius;

At the mere age of eight, this young fox has already proven his high technical prowess. He has developed a variety of machines that have helped Sonic and him in their fights against Dr. Eggman and many other villains of the series. And while I'm not fond of Tails being strictly the 'tech guy' as he's been in recent games, I still do hope that he continues to create such helpful inventions in future games to come.

His selflessness;

As both Colors and Lost World have shown, when someone (in both cases Sonic) Tails cares about his threatened, he will jump to help them. He didn't know what that beam would do, nor did he have any idea what kind of trap the capsule was. Yet did he stand there and let Sonic take the fall? Nope, he leapt up to save him! Not to mention the way he saved all of Station Square from a missile attack in SA1, or how he broke into a high-security prison in SA2 with the single intent of breaking his best friend out.

His bromance with Sonic;

I've got to say, I love it whenever Tails and Sonic both are on the screen. You can tell that the two of them care deeply about one another, as best friends should. As shown in Lost World they may not always see eye to eye, but hopefully the two of them will always remain close.

Also, Tails is absolutely adorable. 'Nuff said on that front.

Keep on flying high, Miles 'Tails' Prower.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel like his best portrayal was in either Sonic Adventure, or Sonic Adventure 2.

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure to a slightly higher degree because it focuses more on his development that stuck with him until about Sonic Colors.In the very beginning, Tails isn't even with Sonic, and later they meet up. That Development was focused on Tails' independence and his general need to break free from Sonic and do his own thing. The ending is really powerful, since he separates himself from Sonic, and is capable of defeating Robotnik/Eggman all on his own. And The Credits Role were Sonic and Tails are Running/Flying next to each other are touching as well.

Sonic Adventure 2

This portrayal is one of my favs as well because it keeps the independence development arc, while expanding upon it, and keeping the theme Song that rooted the same feel of independence that Tails got in Adventure. So when the game starts, you notice that Sonic and Tails aren't together like Adventure, and don't meet up until Tails watches Sonic being arrested on Satellite TV, and goes to prison Island to save him. Which indicates that Tails isn't even up under Sonic as much as he was in Adventure. In almost two entirely different places. Anyway, he saves Sonic, and they have to escape immediately because the Island is about to blow up, and they split up after being cornered by the police. Yet this time, Tails doesn't wine about Sonic not being there. Very independant. They then go get Eggman's signal from the President's limousine, and then go to find Eggman on the Ark. Antics ensue, and Sonic is captured by Eggman and flung into Space set to die. After Sonic's presumed Death, Tails rallies within himself, and whoops Eggman's butt. It isn't as powerful as his scene in Adventure, but it comes pretty close if not equally as heart moving, especially with the line "Sonic has asked me for the first time to do something for him, I won't let him down, I won't give up!". That's one of the highlights in that game for me. :D

But there are some appearances that I really don't enjoy that much at all, and it is quite obvious.

Sonic Colors

So like... they just threw all of that independence junk, that was actually interesting out the window and since everyone was all like "Classic Sonic THIS, and Classic Sonic THAT!" the devs went back to the Tails follows Sonic scenario. Completely forgetting how independent Tails was since Sonic Adventure. To be fair though, we aren't certain of what the circumstances of them meeting were, so I could give them that. Anyway, Tails and Sonic then start to talk about Eggman's theme park, and for some really weird reason Tails questions Dr. Eggman's motives... even though Tails himself has been to locations that were Theme park oriented and STILL evil:

hqdefault.jpg

So then, Tails starts to make a translator for Yakker, and is completely consumed by that task, that he cannot do anything useful towards the plot. By the time Tails actually gets it working, Sonic has already destroyed 3 generators, making Tails overall role in this game generally useless. And with Tails saying, "Good job to you for making a translator so we don't go running around the park looking like idiots", it makes me a bit peeved since he literally did nothing very useful to the story, and had the nerve to even act like he was. Heck, he almost caused Sonic trouble for being there in the first place (Mind Control cutscene). He has no use in the story, he doesn't develop, and he can't even keep up with his previously established character arc. By far my least favorite Tails appearance in a Sonic game.

Sonic Lost World

So yea, this, for me, is a step up from Colors, but it's still pretty poor nonetheless...

He's a main character to the story instead of a novelty now, yet he barely does anything, except sit there and says "I'm smart" for the first half of the game until he gets kidnapped. His snarky attitude greatly contradicts his previously established kind hearted persona. Back then, Tails would never say anything Snarky to Sonic. Maybe to Eggman, since Sonic does it, but not Sonic himself. That was just uncalled for. In fact, the very cutscene where Tails and Sonic is chasing eggman doesn't make much sense either.... doesn't he have a tornado two with weapons attached? And if you're worried about the animals, I doubt their in any harm since their in a capsule that can't even be damaged by Sonic, unless he presses the release button. But I digress. So Tails and Sonic have to team up with Eggman, because Sonic didn't listen to Tails (Something that he rarely ever did in the past, and is now just becoming spontaneously unaware of Tails' existence, much less his advice even though he's done just that several times in the past without fail! But once again, I digress), and Tails begins to get angry at Sonic for trusting Eggman more than he trusted him. Which also contradicts past events since on several occasions Sonic, Tails, Eggman , and several others have worked together for a last resortmaxresdefault.jpg

I_am_going_with_you_too_Sonic_Heroes.png

and never once did he complain about Sonic trusting Eggman more than him. It makes no sense. So after Tails gets over it, he sacrifices himself for Sonic, and gets captured by the Zeti. Instead of trying to RUN IMMEDIATELY, he sits there and waits for them to capture him. To credit him though, it could be part of his plan to trick the Zeti, and turn into a Cyborg willingly. But, it begs the question. Why didn't he reprogram any other machinery? Why didn't he sabotage any other devices? Why didn't he stop the process of the life draining thingamabobber? It all just seems really weird... Tails is a kid who makes mistakes, he isn't this super old man who knows everything about technology, he has flaws in his encyclopedia brain. Why are they making him out to seem so perfect and so much smarter than Sonic? Yes, he is smarter than Sonic by books, but is sometimes unconsidered when it comes to other topics, like reverse-psychology. But once Again... I digress. Anyway, Sonic beats the Zeti, and Tails does absolutely nothing to help him out, making that cool robot suit for no reason, and just sitting there until Sonic beats Eggman in this game too. Wow, he's almost just as useless as in Colors except he turns off a machine, and he flys Sonic there... Those are like the only two things he did in this game that were actually important. Pretty low class if ya ask me. 

So like... they just threw all of that independence junk, that was actually interesting out the window and since everyone was all like "Classic Sonic THIS, and Classic Sonic THAT!" the devs went back to the Tails follows Sonic scenario. Completely forgetting how independent Tails was since Sonic Adventure.

Because God forbid two best friends to hang out together.

Heck, he almost caused Sonic trouble for being there in the first place (Mind Control cutscene)

First: there were no trouble for Sonic there because Tails got out of Mind Control before anything could have happened.

Second: while Tails' intervention was useless since the Mind Control didn't last long, he still saved Sonic from a painful electrocution.

So after Tails gets over it, he sacrifices himself for Sonic, and gets captured by the Zeti. Instead of trying to RUN IMMEDIATELY, he sits there and waits for them to capture him.

It's 6 devils versus 1 little fox in a very small space. Tails would have had no match.

But, it begs the question. Why didn't he reprogram any other machinery? Why didn't he sabotage any other devices? Why didn't he stop the process of the life draining thingamabobber? It all just seems really weird... Tails is a kid who makes mistakes, he isn't this super old man who knows everything about technology, he has flaws in his encyclopedia brain. Why are they making him out to seem so perfect and so much smarter than Sonic?

So, in your opinion, was Tails stupid because he didn't sabotage the other devices, or was Tails a perfect smarter super old man who knows everything?

Wow, he's almost just as useless as in Colors except he turns off a machine, and he flys Sonic there... Those are like the only two things he did in this game that were actually important. Pretty low class if ya ask me. 

He brought the world and its inhabitants back to life. That's not exactly "low class".

• Thumbs Up 4

Because God forbid two best friends to hang out together.

I didn't say that was a problem. My problem, is the fact that Tails is hopelessly clingy towards Sonic and has forgotten every ounce of independence that every game between Adventure and Colors established. Sitting there translating something that didn't even matter in the long run instead of working to fight the cause actively like in Sonic Heroes, a game where he is still somewhat clingy, but isn't afraid to jump into the action. Or perhaps Sa2 or 06, even Shadow, feature him separated from Sonic in several parts of the story, but still actively tries to pursue the cause of the situation when he is away from Sonic. Sa2, and Shadow to a higher extent, since they rarely meet up in those two games.

Yet in those games, he STILL acted all buddy-buddy with Sonic when they caught up. Why couldn't Colors do that?

First: there were no trouble for Sonic there because Tails got out of Mind Control before anything could have happened.

Second: while Tails' intervention was useless since the Mind Control didn't last long, he still saved Sonic from a painful electrocution.

1.) As I said. Almost. He isn't even useful in conflicting with Sonic under mind control. He is useless.

2.) Sonic has taken much worse beating before, I'm sure a short shock wouldn't cause anything too drastic.

It's 6 devils versus 1 little fox in a very small space. Tails would have had no match.

Tails took on an entire army of Ducks by himself, and that was way tougher than any of the Zeti or the final boss in Lost World.

So, in your opinion, was Tails stupid because he didn't sabotage the other devices, or was Tails a perfect smarter super old man who knows everything?

Sorry, I should've separated those statements better. When I was referring to "smarter like an old man" I was talking about his snarky attitude, and the fact that they treat him like he knows everything there is to know, when even Tails has his own intellectual limits. I mean, making a TV out of paperclips? 1.) That's not even possible, and 2.) Tails has had trouble making a prototype plane engine, and your telling me he made a Tv out of paperclips? I call Hax.

As for the other statement. I was wondering why Tails didn't actively try and help Sonic instead of uselessly transforming into a robot only to discard it later. Yes, he wasn't harmed, and he turned out OK, but other than that, what exactly did he do? Nothing. He couldn't even harm the Zeti. Instead of uselessly transforming himself, he could've sabotaged, or at least Malfunctioned the computer, like he actively tried to do in Sonic Adventure 2 with the fake Chaos Emerald.

He brought the world and its inhabitants back to life. That's not exactly "low class".

It is if it's a practically worthless feat. As far as we know, the Zeti could be right around the corner ready to switch it right back on. I mean Eggman lives on that planet too... he didn't even want the machine in full power, so he would've switched it off eventually.

• Thumbs Up 1