Awoo.

Batman: Arkham Knight "No one knows what it's like... TO FIX THE BATMAN!"

Badnik Mechanic

Also, I wouldn't look past a Superman game if it had the same drive to Superman that Arkham Asylum brought to Batman. Though, I can't really say much as to what that drive should be as Superman has always been a strange property to get right in any medium. I mean, having a character with the powers equivalent to God is a writing and gameplay nightmare honestly. You basically have to explain the fuck out of any difficulty they may encounter. Especially when you have a character that has been seen to do this...

To be fair, for all it's shittyness, Superman 64 had a good idea of how to handle Supes' powers: He was stuck in a virtual realm made by Luthor, so the normal rules wouldn't apply there and he couldn't just brute force everything or use a random power to solve everything, he had to play it the way Luthor wanted because the was no other way around it.

• Thumbs Up 6

So I decided to get the Season of Infamy, and A Matter of Family DLC. I haven't played any of Season of Infamy yet, but A Matter of Family is one of the most laziest, boring, and un-memorable DLCs I've played to date. Even Cold Cold Heart was better than it.

I've now played and beaten the Season of Infamy Most Wanted missions; Shadow War, In from the Cold, Beneath the Surface and Wonderland.

Definitely the best story dlc we've had, but that's not saying much. Once you know what you're doing you can breeze through each story in like 30 or 40 minutes. About the same length as the Batgirl dlc. Shadow War & In from the Cold are by far the most interesting stories, in that they bring closure to Ra's al Ghul story from Arkham City and Mr Freeze excellent story from Origins and Arkham City. Beneath the Sewers is basically Batman teaming up with Nightwing (again) to capture Killer Croc, and Wonderland is Batman trapped in another of Mad Hatter's weird worlds, only this time it's underwhelming compared to his appearances in Origins and City.

None of the combat/predator encounters are particularly challenging.

Did it make it worth paying £33 for the Season Pass? Probably not.

Spoiler

Freeze and Nora deciding to live their remaining days together is touching (Nora dying from cancer and Freeze dying from being out of his suit). Brings closure.

As for Shadow War, apparently Ra's al Ghul has another daughter! Nyssa al Ghul.

Fxmp8sQ.jpg

At the end of the story you get another choice which effects the outcome scenario (much like at the end of Azrael's Most Wanted mission):

img

First I chose to "Administer Cure" which saved Ra's al Ghul's life.................and resulted in him killing Nyssa :( and Ra's escaping.

I then loaded a different save file (you can't replay these extra Most Wanted Missions over and over because they are part of the main story unlike the other story dlc's) and this time opted to "Destroy Lazrus Machine"...............which resulted in Nyssa surviving and Batman taking Ra's to GCPD to live out his remaining days (he's dying) in a prison cell.

I think I prefer the second option.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hm, this is a pretty interesting development for the DLC. I must ask, though:

Did Nyssa al Ghul first appear at some point in the comics, or is she a completely original character for this game altogether?

Hidden Content

She's in the comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

She's in the comics.

Ah, alright. I must've been confusing her for her more familiar sister, Talia.

Hidden Content

Yeah from the comics.

Apparently her name is Nyssa Raatko.

According to Wikipedia;

"In Batman: Death and the Maidens, it is revealed that Ra's al Ghul had a love child born during his travels in Russia in the 19th century named Nyssa. Enamored by the romantic stories that her mother told her about Ra's as a child, Nyssa sets out to find Ra's and eventually locates him at his headquarters in North Africa."

• Thumbs Up 1

So I've achieved 240% completion; which you get by 100%ing both the first playthrough, then New Game Plus and by completing the Season Of Infamy missions on both playthrough's.

My reward (apart from the satisfaction) for achieving this is a brand new Batsuit V8.05 which has a gold emblem and does...................well, nothing. It's just the same suit but with a Gold Bat-symbol. Okay, erm...thanks Rocksteady :huh:

CXBOXGIWQAAF6lW.jpg:large

Haha, well it's a nice little gesture.

Just me having fun with photo mode:

CXBArA4WsAAkiE2.jpg:large

The Bat-mobile has the Rocksteady skin. If you look carefully you can see the RockSteady logo on it.

too much swag.

Also, some thoughts.

Season of Infamy was decent, but only Mr. Freeze, and maybe Ra's side quests were worth a damn. Nightwing is my favourite character but he just felt like a tag along for Killer Croc's side quest. The only interesting part of Mad Hatter's side quest is the finale but even that amounts to a few quick fights and that's it. Honestly, all the DLC for the game has been nothing but money grubbing lazy crap, and I'll say straight up that Cold Cold Heart was probably the best one AND THAT WASNT EVEN ROCKSTEADY.

And don't even get me started with the costumes. I love seeing the costumes in the Arkham games because they're always references to stories I loved. It annoyed me that the Batman Beyond costume, and the other costumes were DLC in Arkham City, but WB took a step in the right direction with almost every costume being unlockable in Arkham Origins. In Arkham Knight? You get about 5 costumes free (The 8.5 Batsuit, the 8.4 Batsuit, the Anime Batsuit, and if you bought the PS4 version, you get Justice League 3000, and Adam West).

Want Beyond? DLC, want Dark Knight Returns? DLC. How about Flashpoint? Well, better cough up that cash for the season pass. It doesn't help that some of the costumes were screwed up anyway. Do I even need to mention what they did to the Beyond costume? I'm so disappointed in Rocksteady not only for the horrible DLC practice, but for the sole fact they won't even put effort into it. A Matter of Family was a lazy set of combat challenges with no substance and just there to say "LOOK, ITS BATGIRL AND CLASSIC HARLEY, FANSERVICE :D". The Arkham Episodes are pitifully lazy with almost no gadget variations from Batman, and no actual story content. 

For example, Harley's DLC had the potential to be a in depth look into her character and how she was doing now when the

Joker died.

That was interesting, and we do start to get peeks into it, with it being revealed how much Joker really did hurt Harley, and revealing Harleen Quinnsel is still in Harley and begs her to just do the time in Arkham, and allow them to return to their previous life only for Joker's grip on Harley to be too strong, to the point where Harley's detective vision is a bunch of insane scribbles on the walls saying how Harley is now alone.

But just as things get interesting, the DLC ends as soon as Ivy is broken out of prison, with no conclusion to the story that was set up. Does Harley come to terms with Harleen? Never shown. Does Ivy help Harley? Well we never see them interact in the main game and their time in this is so brief that we never know. There's so much potential to make this into a full DLC, with maybe Ivy and Harley working together on something, and Ivy helps Harley come to terms with

The Joker's death,

and maybe ending with Harley making the final choice that after the siege on Gotham is over, she'll finally try return to normal. Instead, we get nothing but lazy DLC nonsense. 

Edited by Ryannumber1Santa
  • Thumbs Up 2

So I've achieved 240% completion; which you get by 100%ing both the first playthrough, then New Game Plus and by completing the Season Of Infamy missions on both playthrough's.

My reward (apart from the satisfaction) for achieving this is a brand new Batsuit V8.05 which has a gold emblem and does...................well, nothing. It's just the same suit but with a Gold Bat-symbol. Okay, erm...thanks Rocksteady :huh:

Embedded image permalink

Haha, well it's a nice little gesture.

Just me having fun with photo mode:

Embedded image permalink

The Bat-mobile has the Rocksteady skin. If you look carefully you can see the RockSteady logo on it.

So how close does this feel to Mario Subshine's 100% completion reward lol?

Just played through SOI and thought I'd share some quick thoughts:

Have to say, I greatly enjoyed the four missions given here. Each of them had something unique and down right cool to them. Though, a couple of them were definitely better than the others. While I found Freeze's and Ra's missions to be pretty spectacular, Croc's and Hatter's seemed basic in comparison. The Mad Hatter Quest basically boils down to 3 simple location finds and then a combat section (though I will say that combat section is one of the coolest segments in the game honestly). On the other hand, Croc's mission is really more hype than delivery. Though, I will say that I'm damn glad they didn't pull some Man-bat bullshit this time around with jump scares. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't cautious as hell going into it. XD

Freeze and Ra's on the other hand, completely blew me away honestly. While they were a tad shorter I found them to be absolutely packed with quality. Especially Freeze's segment which, if I'm honest, is the second most emotional segment in the series for me.

(the first being the destruction of the batmobile during the main game obviously XD)

So yeah, overall I would definitely recommend this add on to anyone who even has a passing interest in it. Definitely helps fill the whole the main game left me in terms of the use of villains. Also, the gold chested suit with the classic Harley and Knight costumes along side it are icing on the cake for me really. Wish you could use the gold chested one in the main story though. :/ Does it justify the season pass? Well... that's up to you really. I found the season pass acceptable really because I constantly switch out costumes and find myself replaying the game way more than anyone should (hell, thanks to steam I know for a fact that I've spent a good 130+ hours on the series in general... and that's not including the console versions I also own DX). I'd honestly recommend going into the store page and doing some quick math with the prices of all the things that interest you. If it comes out to more than $40 than it's a good buy. If not, save yourself some money.

For me, SOI scratched an itch I've had since I first completed the game and definitely made me not regret my season pass purchase. Though, I imagine for a lot of others that it won't due to it's overall length (2-3 hours on your first run through) and I can relate to that as well.

Though, with all that said... there's still one thing that I still don't get: (Major Arkham City spoilers for those who care)

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO CLAYFACE?! Like, was it explained in a side comic or something? He fell into a Lazarus pit! He couldn't have just walked that off with no negative repercussions right?

Hidden Content

Well he IS centuries old, nothing is stopping him from having lovers and going out to find others once he's bored with them/they die of old age/has to go back to League Business.

• 1 month later...

so they're basically done with Arkham Knight on PC at this point

Mac and Linux version were just cancelled, because WB.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/974270303556117703

We are very sorry to confirm that Batman: Arkham Knight will no longer be coming to Mac and Linux. If you have pre-ordered Batman: Arkham Knight for Mac or Linux, please apply for a refund via Steam.

The amount of commitment WB Games has put towards Arkham Knight on PC is about as much as picking up a pencil and barely having the strength to continue holding it.

2 hours ago, Tantei no Klonoa said:

The amount of commitment WB Games has put towards Arkham Knight on PC is about as much as picking up a pencil and barely having the strength to continue holding it.

Huh, nobody else ever told me that Montgomery Burns was the current head of the company. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly can't say I'm surprised, but wow it does it impress me how nonchalant they are about screwing over their consumers like that.

The fact that WB isn't issuing the refunds themselves and is causality telling people to do it themselves is really telling about how much they seem to care. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad I didn't get it on a computer, then, but people have long memories. I doubt they'll get away with it forever.

8 hours ago, KHCast said:

The fact that WB isn't issuing the refunds themselves and is causality telling people to do it themselves is really telling about how much they seem to care. 

That does raise an interesting point as to rather or not they really expected to have a working Mac and Linux port at all.  Basically consider the possibility that they knew they weren't going to release a port, but announced pre-orders anyway, knowing most would get a refund, but others wouldn't see the announcement or would have difficulty processing the refund.  Okay, admittedly, that's just conspiracy talk, but that's exactly how little WB seems to care about its customers at this point.

I don't know how Steam pre-orders usually work, but I'm thinking that maybe your card shouldn't be charged until the item in question is released.  In other online retailers, like Amazon, your card isn't charged until the item ships or it becomes available in your digital library.  Seems kind of shady to allow them to take your money before they actually have anything to give you.

You know its stuff like this that makes me feel bad about buying the game day one instead of just buying it used, WB seriously ticks me off with how they handle things and if I knew they were going to be doing crap like this back then I would've never bought this game new (even though I have it on PS4 I do feel for the people who were looking forward to playing it on PC).

19 hours ago, Tantei no Klonoa said:

Well, considering how the PC launch in general went down last year, I guess it was only a matter of time that they'd torch the thing and run. Still, though, this is a major bummer on their part that things turn out the way they did.

• 2 months later...

A current-gen collection of the (Rocksteady) Arkham games is looking more likely:

Batman Arkham HD Collection revealed via leak

A Batman Arkham HD Collection has been leaked via a GameStop employee sending pictures of the unannounced anthology to Eurogamer.

As seen in the following picture, Batman Arkham HD Collection contains both Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City along with all the DLC for both titles.

What the collection won't include, however, is Batman: Arkham Origins, which was made by Warner Brothers' Montreal studio. The rest of the series was helmed by Rocksteady.

Batman Arkham HD Collection is scheduled for a PS4 and Xbox One release on 10th June with pre-orders going live tomorrow.

We've requested comment from publisher Warner Bros. and will update should we hear back.

Well, if this is indeed true then I'll definitely get it. I love the Arkham games. I know Origins isn't a Rocksteady game but I still think it should be included.

EDIT: There is now a PEGI listing for "Batman: Return to Arkham".