Awoo.

Keiji Inafune strikes again with Azure Striker Gunvolt | 3DS eShop

Chooch

Looks pretty cool. I never got into the Zero games, but I might give this a shot. 

I hope there's a demo coming out soon.

Looks pretty darn cool, can't wait to play it this summer.

Well, this looks like a bit of a mix of Zero and ZX. Knowing Inti Creates, this is going to be fucking amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just hope he can juggle both this and Mighty No 9 without sacrificing the quality of either/stretching himself too thin. 

That music is also really reminding me of the PS1 Mega Man X soundtracks, and that's not at all a bad thing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I just hope he can juggle both this and Mighty No 9 without sacrificing the quality of either/stretching himself too thin. 

Well, this comes out during the summer and from what i've been reading, mighty no.9 doesn't come out until spring next year so it probably won't be too much of a problem considering that this game is only 2 or 3 months away.

And yet still no sign of King of Pirates.

Right? I was super interesting in Kaio but there has been nothing since the game was announced.

I wonder if this was in the works before Mighty No. 9; for various reasons, I don't think I've ever played an Inafune game, but the hallmarks are clearly there.  In any case, looks great; I hope it comes to Europe.  Don't see any reason why not, but you know how these things are.

Right? I was super interesting in Kaio but there has been nothing since the game was announced.

I don't know if that's quite true.  I think I remember Inafune saying at one point that it was in the publishers' hands at present... yep, here, which makes it sound like it might be finished - and according to this, it's out this year.

Wow. This looks like Treasure meets Mega Man Zero (which itself was basically Treasure meets Mega Man X). I want this pretty badly.

It better not have ZX's bullshit though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow. This looks like Treasure meets Mega Man Zero (which itself was basically Treasure meets Mega Man X). I want this pretty badly.

It better not have ZX's bullshit though.

What was wrong with ZX?

Like fucking everything.

I'd rather this game modeled itself after Zero more, and if it starts shaping up to be like ZX then my interest will dwindle. So that means I want no unintuitive Metroidvania layouts that don't belong, no bullshit fake difficulty, no horribly conceived boss strategies, no shitty characters, and no killing off the only cool character in the game in the first five minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like fucking everything.

I'd rather this game modeled itself after Zero more, and if it starts shaping up to be like ZX then my interest will dwindle. So that means I want no unintuitive Metroidvania layouts that don't belong, no bullshit fake difficulty, no horribly conceived boss strategies, no shitty characters, and no killing off the only cool character in the game in the first five minutes.

Fair point (though i'd stand to disagree with the bad characters thing, but thats an argument for another day).

...my wallet. My poor, poor wallet. I wasn't expecting this, considering Mighty No. 9, but I approve. This looks too exciting to pass up.

Destructoid's first hand with a demo only makes me more excited.

I wonder if Battle Network and Starforce will get respective expies as well.

The story is literally Grey from ZX Advent's soo, let's see.

I wonder if Battle Network and Starforce will get respective expies as well.

More Battle Network over Star Force I'd hope.

Like fucking everything.

you take that back

Yeah, ZX did have problems. However, ZX Advent pretty much fixed pretty much most of its predecessor's issues. The map and the layouts are much more straightforward, it's much more like a Classic/X game with being able to copy enemy forms (there's 14 unique forms you can switch between, and you can switch between them easily via the lower screen), it has a much more interesting and diverse cast and the main characters aren't identical twins (Ashe is awesome and if you don't think so you're wrong, so is Atlas, incidentally), and nearly all the NPCs have unique sprites. Oh, and you don't have to bother with avoiding boss weak points anymore. There's also voice acting too, I liked it, though I suspect other people might not.

Oh, and the local 'redshirt army', the Hunters, are actually competent, unlike the rebels from Zero and the Guardians. Stealing Model A out from under Prometheus' nose takes brass balls.

To be fair, the resistance in Zero were on the losing side, what with Neo Arcadia having better resources and more numbers than they do. Not like they were doing a good job even when they were actually competent. And the Guardians were centered around their master Copy-X, so...dah, whatever.

Zero had its cheap moments too in the beginning, so it's not like it didn't have problems.

But yeah, ZX Advent is a much better game than ZX because it fixed up on everything that was wrong with the first title. You don't have to go searching for locations with a poorly designed map and no damn clue where to go, you can play as many different forms (although some were more useless than others, like Rospark; and some more broken like Chronoforce), though the difficulty on normal could still kick you in the nads like a bitch.

They had their great moments. I mean seriously, you can play in the form of the Guardians from Zero, nothing to hate about that (other parts of the game are a mixed matter). That, and ZX and Advent have awesome art and abilities, but that's to be expected from the Megaman series, right?

I wouldn't mind some ZX influences in this game. Hell, it looks like Zero and ZX on steroids with the main character. Although, yeah, keep that damn Metroidvania stuff out (or learn how to design it better). Even when I replay ZX, I still have to use a damn guide to find where everything is.

Gonna be honest; I don't like Inafune. He's arrogant as shit (pot calling the kettle black, I know) and has a nasty track record of polarized quality with his games.

However the trailer showed solid gameplay, I hope the level design holds up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I meant the ZX Guardians, not the Zero guardians.

The problem with the way ZX's map worked is that it sorta treated the world like a 3D space, with doors and whatnot, but those tend to get confusing unless the developer is willing to map out every single little area and indicate which door goes where. Other 2D Metroidvanias tend to have their maps entirely 2D based. ZXA was a bit better in this regard, because not only the map was much easier to understand, the way you reach different areas was much easier to locate, too. Hell, multiple areas just require a teleporter from the Hunter Base to access.

That being said, if they want to go with the Metroidvania thing, they should go all the way or not really do it at all, because there's not really much point aside from revisiting previous areas to grab stuff you've missed with new abilities, which was in previous MM titles anyway.

Damn, am I the only one who liked ZX here besides a selective few?

That aside, the game does give off a strong MMZ vibe and I'm going to buy this day one. Watching that Trailer made me want to beat my MMZ Collection for the DS. I got Zero and Zero 2 down with half of Zero 3 done...then I move onto Zero 4.

Damn you Inafune!

• Thumbs Up 4

Damn, am I the only one who liked ZX here besides a selective few?

That aside, the game does give off a strong MMZ vibe and I'm going to buy this day one. Watching that Trailer made me want to beat my MMZ Collection for the DS. I got Zero and Zero 2 down with half of Zero 3 done...then I move onto Zero 4.

Damn you Inafune!

No your not (I like it too) and are you me, thats about where I am with the zero collection right now.

• Thumbs Up 1