Awoo.

Should PS3 sonic Games be on PlayStation Now?

DLR_Nexus

So, back at January 2014, you might remember PlayStation Now that is announced at the CES which would thankfuly bring back all of the PlayStation 3 games that many of us would miss on the PlayStation 4 and also be able to use on the PS3, along with the PS Vita and in addition to that, Sony Bravia TVs, Smartphones, and Tablets. Now, there's not a lot of games anounced, only The Last of Us, and a few from Naughty Dog, SCE's First-Party Developer. It's not here yet, Its on Closed Beta for now but it'll be released in the Summer of 2014 to North America and all others by around 2015 (starting with Europe). This question would ask... Will there be any Sonic Games to come to the PSNow.

The Good news is that Sony's trying to get almost all of the PlayStation 3 game Libary, including games that you can't get on retailers (and on the PlayStation Store) which may include Sonic Unleashed (I don't know if the PS2 version will also be available but we'll see) Sonic 06, and a few others, along with thoes that are in stores right now (and on PSN). Any suggestions on which Sonic Game should be there?

Hm. I don't think we will see much Sonic at the beginning, simply because Sony probably wants to make their big flagship games available first to test the waters. But in a perfect world, I would hope that Sony gets around to making just about everything available on PS Now.

My question is, what are they going to do about all the classic Sonic games that were released on the Playstation network, like Sonic Adventure, Sonic CD, etc.. I  would love it if they just made them available on PS4 already. I wouldn't even mind purchasing them again (I've bought about 5 different versions of Sonic 2 anyways) I just hate switching between PS3 and PS4 constantly to get my Sonic/next-gen fix.

Hm. I don't think we will see much Sonic at the beginning, simply because Sony probably wants to make their big flagship games available first to test the waters. But in a perfect world, I would hope that Sony gets around to making just about everything available on PS Now.

My question is, what are they going to do about all the classic Sonic games that were released on the Playstation network, like Sonic Adventure, Sonic CD, etc.. I  would love it if they just made them available on PS4 already. I wouldn't even mind purchasing them again (I've bought about 5 different versions of Sonic 2 anyways) I just hate switching between PS3 and PS4 constantly to get my Sonic/next-gen fix.

I don't know about the PSN games like Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure 1&2 and others, but I hope they can return those games as well as the PS3 games you'll find on retailers as well.

Well, why have the PS3 Sonic tittles be on PS4/Vita via PS Now when they can be ported over to PS4/Vita?

I mean, just look at how Generations ran on high-end PC's...it's just...amazing man blink.png! Highest detailed textures and 60FPS could go a LONG way in justifying a "Sonic Trillogy Pack" for the PS4 (having Unleashed, Colors, and Generations all running at 60FPS and at 1080p). As for Sonic Vita games...I could see the Adventure games and the Genesis games (Sonic 1-2 + Sonic CD) getting Vita ports in the future (the Vita is powerful and they got a Dreamcast game running on Vita via Jet Set Radio as proof).

I would love to see some Sonic games on PS Now, but realistically speaking, it just might be smarter having them get enhanced ports instead :).

• Thumbs Up 1

Ideally the service should include as many games as possible, but considering sony and sega's combined rerelease track record I'm not holding my breath.

• Thumbs Up 2

What I'd give for just some good 'ol backwards compatibility these days from Sony again.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, why have the PS3 Sonic tittles be on PS4/Vita via PS Now when they can be ported over to PS4/Vita?

I would love to see some Sonic games on PS Now, but realistically speaking, it just might be smarter having them get enhanced ports instead smile.png.

I would be totally in support of Generations being ported and touched up for the PS4.

They did it for SA1 and 2 for the Gamecube, why not do it for this as well? Generations screams all sorts of lost potential, and seeing it on an even higher end console with possibly more features... well, the idea makes me giddy.

Especially if they'd actually make DLC for it this time around. I don't think a game like that can really get "old," since the whole premise is remaking stages in HD to begin with. Picture if we had a new classic released every few months. It'd be beautiful!

• Thumbs Up 1

Some areas of games like Unleashed actually required negative latency to feasibly pass through the first time without dying, much less the additional button lag inherent to streaming services. In most cases I can't actually see it ending well at all, but Unleashed would be by far the worst offender.

...how many retail PS3 Sonic games have even been released besides Unleashed and Gens? It might be because I'm tired and about to go to bed but I can't actually remember any others off the top of my head for the life of me.

You forgot Sonic 06. =P

I think they should port all of them, but I hope they can fix up some of the problems like the lag in Sonic Unleashed's Adabat. Then there's possibly the online lag itself from Playstation Now...well, how is that going to work with a super speedy Sonic game?

• Thumbs Up 2

You forgot Sonic 06. =P

I think they should port all of them, but I hope they can fix up some of the problems like the lag in Sonic Unleashed's Adabat. Then there's possibly the online lag itself from Playstation Now...well, how is that going to work with a super speedy Sonic game?

That's a point, I think the 'Playstation Now Cloud gaming' does allow some enhancements to the games, like improved HD graphics and framerate. Sonic 06 could benefit from this. Improve framerate/less slowdown and better loading times (even though the game is still meh).

The same for Unleashed, they could make it a constant 60fps.

Hopefully all PS3 and PSN Sonic games will be made playable on PS4 via the Cloud system. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ohhhh Sonic Unleashed in 60fps...*drools* I want that so bad!

Sonic Generations would be great too especially if it ends up like the PC version.

Wouldn't porting Sonic Unleashed to PS4 fix the lag issues?  A part of the problem with Unleashed was that the Hedgehog engine took up so much on the ps3's processing, surely for Ps4 that won't be a problem?

Sonic Unleashed's levels and the hedgehog engine have been ported into Sonic Generations in the Unleashed Project and  when running on high-end computers, lag is significantly reduced and the hedgehog engine runs at even higher capacity.

For example, Savannah Citadel in Sonic Unleashed vs Savannah Citedel in Unleashed Project.

Uncropped version

AfricaCroppedComparison.png

and

I'd say a Sonic Unleashed port or even better an Unleashed DX would be worth it, that said, an actual PC version would also be nice.

• Thumbs Up 3

Prusumbely, that will be impressive but I'm not sure if such graphics may be improved (which may not happen) Despite that, I do know that PlayStaion Now servers will be powered by a Modified PS3 Hardrive which has the power of up to 8 PS3s, which may expect to have less lag and also save energy, which was told in some Eurogamer report.

Prusumbely, that will be impressive but I'm not sure if such graphics may be improved (which may not happen)

Not sure what you're saying? The graphics for the Unleashed Project look better for simply being on a more powerful platform (which can display them properly), not because they're altered.

Considering that I've heard that the demos had input lag, then no. If Sony can make it reduced or non-existent, then yes.

I won't complain if Sonic games are available, though I'll probably stick to what I have.

Not sure what you're saying? The graphics for the Unleashed Project look better for simply being on a more powerful platform (which can display them properly), not because they're altered.

I'm just saying that they could be some graphic improvements but It's unknown if that'll occur with PlayStation Now. Otherwise if that dosen't happen, then it'll have to be ported again to the PS4 but I'm suggesting that the Unleashed Project graphics will be perfect, especally with some realistic looks but I can't tell if that may come in soon.

I want to get a PS4 by next year and would love to play Sonic Generations, Unleashed, All Stars Racing and Transformed on it. Also would like to see the Classics, Heroes, Riders and Zero Gravity ported onto the PS4.

I want to get a PS4 by next year and would love to play Sonic Generations, Unleashed, All Stars Racing and Transformed on it. Also would like to see the Classics, Heroes, Riders and Zero Gravity ported onto the PS4.

First of all, We don't know if the Classics on PSN may come and also Sonic Heroes, Riders and, SR:0G. One thing we do know is that such emulation process on the PS4 is now underway, but it may not be done thru PSNow. But expect to have some HD Grapics and revendering that you won't find when you plug in your PS2. All I can tell you is that like putting Sonic Adventure 2 on PSN, it will enhance the graphics more and put it into 720p or even 1080p. Which in that case could be amazing to see some imporvement. However there is some cases to expect.

• Since Sonic Riders can be played in Widescreen, it's possbile that it can go up to 720p or even 1080p but I'm not sure if that may occur.
  • Sonic Unleashed (PS2) if emulated right now and enhance the graphic will have the graphics feel like the Wii version but  it's resolution scale more better at the same time. So it might be half PS3/XB360 and half Wii as well.

It's not easy to emulate PS1 and PS2 games but how it's done could be a change. I don't know if you have to get them thru the PS Store on PS4 or just pop in your PS2/PS1 disc. But We'll see on that, soon.

Short answer is yes, Sonic games should be on PSNow since the Sonic series is large enough to at least preserve the later games and is an opportunity for Sega to release them without much work to be done. Also doesn't Sony have a Sonic section on their PSN store like with other big series (Batman, Assassin's Creed, Gran Turismo, Call of Duty)?

Realistically though it really does depend on how Sega thinks whether to go for the easy option (plok the games via PSNow) or for the more complex via Sega of China/bilt software route and port the games to the PS4 like how Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 were handled. It is easier for Taxman to do a PS4 port of Sonic CD and re-ports of Sonic 1 & 2 since Backbone aren't around anymore however it will take extra effort to port something like Sonic the Fighters since that didn't have a PC release so that might be streamed via PSNow. Honestly don't know how they would handle it.

As for the games themselves, it probably doesn't sound as easy as one would imagine. First is that the input lag on PSNow can affect the games and whether Sony/Gaikai can low it enough to be acceptable since some Sonic games needs the lag to be as low as possible to get the best enjoyment out of the game. Then there's the certification where Sega has to go to SCEA, SCEE and SCEI (the regional Sony departments) to make sure that the games meet with their standards that cost money and a possiblity that they might have to get re-rated so that costs more money especially PEGI (most likely not for ESRB, unsure about CERO or the other regions).

Plus there is also rights issues as well that might need sorting out. While the Sonic series isn't bad as say the GTA series where the music is licensed or the various racing games where the license is X years (why most of them aren't re-released), there are still problems. Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed has Wreck-it Ralph and Danica Patrick so Sega have to pay Disney and whoever owns the rights to Danica for future appearances as well as Go Daddy, Northrop Grumman for the F-14 Tomcat (every past and current After Burner game have to credit these guys like Ferrari with OutRun) and any other licensee. Sonic Generations might have to pay a license fee to Masato Nakamura for the use of the Sonic 1 & 2 music in the game even though it hasn't stopped Sega re-releasing Sonic 1 & 2 multiple times however might be a possible hurdle. Also I'm sure that Sonic 06 had some known artists doing the music but don't know much about that game.

With this service, possibly see at least Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Generations [if the rights issue is small or not applicable] and Unleashed via PSNow. Unless Sega port them, can also see Sonic 4, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 too. Maybe Sega Superstars Tennis as well with a description warning about the non-working online mode. This is if even Sega puts them on PSNow.

If they decide to port the PS2 era Sonic games, they shouldn't port the crappy PS2 versions of Heroes and ShTH. They should port the GC/Xbox versions instead, albeit with some necessary tweaking to match the PS2's controller inputs.

If they decide to port the PS2 era Sonic games, they shouldn't port the crappy PS2 versions of Heroes and ShTH. They should port the GC/Xbox versions instead, albeit with some necessary tweaking to match the PS2's controller inputs.

True. Sonic Team didn't have very good expierence with Sony on the PS2 but they were good on Gamecube and Xbox. I know at Europe, ya can get Sonic Heroes (but sadly not me since I live in America) and only in Japan, (Shadow the Hedgehog), but the Port should have to be improved and do some tweaking. And yes, Graphics if emulated on the PS4 should get some very good improvements. And maybe, it can be more better than it once had. IDK if ShTH should been rated T (or 12+) since of the insane crap that game offers if they have to do game ratings again.

Sonic 06 sucks

Sonic Generations + Unleashed require fast feedback which may ruin the experience on PSNow.

Sonic 06 sucks

Sonic Generations + Unleashed require fast feedback which may ruin the experience on PSNow.

Fast Feedback? I don't know what that part means. Towards how fast you need to get the best expierence on PSNow, at least 5 Mbps which is an ok speed. However, if the bandwith drops, you'll start having that jittery look and is similar towards losing 3G/4G speeds on Netflix (even when you switch from 3G to 4G to WiFi and vise versa)