Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

....pfffffhahahahahahah. Oh God. Is that really your excuse? It's too EPIC for MERE screenshots? Oh-ho my God, this is just too hilarious. 

EDIT:
He's still going at it!
Oh God I... I can't *breathe*...!
Edited by horridus
  • Thumbs Up 3

....pfffffhahahahahahah. Oh God. Is that really your excuse? It's too EPIC for MERE screenshots? Oh-ho my God, this is just too hilarious. 

That's still not an excuse. Even if what's being accomplished truly is incredible beyond description, that doesn't mean you can't post a screenshot. Sure, it may not properly convey everything you intend, but it's still a taste of what's to come. And we've seen precious little evidence that he's done much of anything. I just don't see how Ken can make this argument. It's completely hollow. He very well might be hard at work developing this app. We don't know what's going on here. That's always been the issue. It would only help Ken convince his doubters to show us some sign of progress as we have no idea of the project's status. It doesn't inspire confidence to tell people that they can't see any material yet for such a flimsy reason as what we've seen here. Yeah, a screenshot isn't the most advantageous method to reveal your work, but it's better than nothing whatsoever. 

Edited by Killtank
  • Thumbs Up 9

If anything, releasing just an image that doesn't really show anything could be a good interest boost. If people are truly interested in this project, a single screen shot just hinting at stuff will just intrigue them and make them speculate.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone look at, for instance, Five Nights at Freddy's teaser images and complained that they didn't fully encompass the experience. They just expressed a ton of interest and eagerness for the particular game the teaser was for to come out. 

• Thumbs Up 4

EDIT:
He's still going at it!

Much as I try to be nice when I pop into this thread now, I just... is he fucking serious

He can't (read: won't) take screenshots and yet he has the gall the to imply that the app experience is superior to whatever other publishers have produced?

Like Killtank says, even if a screenshot doesn't necessarily do the thing justice, it would at least give us an idea of what to expect. And if he's going to make such bold claims, then a screenshot would help reinforce what he's saying. Show, don't tell.

Yeah, I played games where the screenshots didn't do the game justice...but like Zaysho said, it still gives an idea of what to expect.

A screenshot only fails if it doesn't even do THAT.

EDIT:
He's still going at it!

Wait, come again?

Whadda ya mean screenshots won't show how much you done so far?

Either he's trying to keep it a suprise (Oh wait no) or maybe there's something wrong with the app.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why is he trying so hard to avoid posting screenshots of his "acclaimed" App? I mean he's totally okay with posting images of his God awful character designs but an App? OH NO NO IT'S GREAT AND ALL BUT I WON'T SHOW YOU ANYTHING LOL

Maybe it's something so bad, that even Ken Penders thinks it would burn our eyes more than his Echydnya abominations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh my god. 

Thank you guys. I needed that laugh. That...oh that was just so funny. But for old time's sake.

What the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard. Fucking animation and voice acting on the app, along with a fucking PS4 app? Are you seriously trying to tell me that I'm start up my PS4 one day, go to the PS Store, and see THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES VIDEO GAME COMIC APP in the highlights section? What a fucking load.

Then there's his lame excuses. ''OH, I CAN'T POST A SCREENSHOT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SHOW HOW AWESOME MY APP IS BECAUSE IT'S JUST SO AWESOME'' and then he actually has the fucking nerve to claim it blows other developers out of the water? Oh fuck off Penders.

But here's a better question. Exactly why would I want a comic app with games, voice acting, and animation and such? The clear fucking flaws being that putting animation onto his fucking awful artwork isn't going to make it anymore appealing to the eye. Adding voice acting to his laughable idea of a script isn't going to make it any less cringe worthy. On top of that. On a fucking comic app of all things, why the fuck would I want to play games on it? On a comic app, I'm going to be going there to read comics, not play a bunch of shitty games.

This is just all so laughable. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Humans meet silly aliens in a comic with animation, sound, and gameplay?

Is The Lara-Su Chronicles secretly Homestuck?

Okay, reading an already bad-quality comic on a PS4. I'll pass. I don't even read Flynn's work after he was forced into the reboot, why would I read on a videogame the hilariously bad work of the man that caused the reboot?

I want a PS4, but obvioulsy is for a single reason called gaming. Mainly, Street Fighter V.

Edited by ZDozer
  • Thumbs Up 1

As far as the gaming aspect goes, I'm rooting for Lara-Su's Master Amethyst Hunt with some rap BGM, don't fail me Ken

• Thumbs Up 8

Given where his brain seems to be stuck with regards to video game developments, I myself would have figured it to be some cheap-ass clone of Tomb Raider... the FIRST Tomb Raider, that is. With worse graphics. 

• Thumbs Up 1

He can't (read: won't) take screenshots and yet he has the gall the to imply that the app experience is superior to whatever other publishers have produced?

Actually, I wouldn't put it past Ken to not know how to take a screenshot of an app and be too lazy to learn...

• Thumbs Up 2

The weird thing about this whole ordeal with the phone app is that I've always taken Ken to be standing firmly in opposition of burgeoning new media channels. I don't even know where this assumption came from, but the idea may have to do with the fact that Ken has never chosen to walk down such a pioneering path until lately. I just have a hard time seeing him as the trailblazing, progressive type of person who would embrace new media content with arms wide open. We could have seen The Lost Ones become a long-established webcomic with over a decade of material to adapt, but that never materialized. Why's that? I just feel like this interest in new media is all too sudden and convenient. Where was this enterprising interest back in 2000 when the first issue of The Lost Ones was put to print? I read a webcomic awhile back called Gene Catlow that first began in July 2000. It's still active to this day with three new pages being posted every week. That's both insane and praiseworthy. Why hasn't Ken showed the same amount of confidence in new media?  

Edited by Killtank
  • Thumbs Up 3

Maybe it's only more recently than that that webcomics started becoming financially successful or even financially viable.  Or maybe it's because Penders is now "indie" so to match that he's trying to reconstruct his image as somebody at the forefront of new developments in culture and media.  Back when he had a job, it was cushy; he didn't have to care about the hows, because he could write whatever he wanted and it would be put out there for him.  Now that he doesn't have that support, he has to find a way of attracting attention from the general public - without compromising his "creative freedom," of course - and that means jumping on every bandwagon you can think of.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have to admit, I'm interested in seeing this now. Maybe this app really will be something unique, innovative, and perhaps even top level. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe, for as big as companies like Marvel/Disney and DC/WB are, their efforts in digital comics viewing are still "make it functional" and be done with it. Heck, maybe this is Penders' true niche, his real calling: maybe he does have a vision that can bring such an application to the next level (with plenty of technical/programming help, of course).

It's just a shame that he'd be building a mansion for roaches; four potentially great walls with nothing worth putting inside of them.

Yeah, I doubt this is really the case, but maybe?

On a related note, I wonder what percentage of comic book/sci-fi/pop culture fans attending something as big as SDCC would own and use smart phones and tablets yet have absolutely no social media presence.

Just a note : I suppose Ken might post the second page soon, I've sent him the translation in French this morning. So if it's like last time, he might post both English and French versions at the same time. (Pure speculation)

In one panel, Geoffrey mentions two characters you know about. They're related but theyre not Echyd'nyas ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a note : I suppose Ken might post the second page soon, I've sent him the translation in French this morning. So if it's like last time, he might post both English and French versions at the same time. (Pure speculation)

Hidden Content

Yay, we get to see what characters he's utterly disgraced this time.

I guess I'll repeat this again- as far as he can remove it from being a comic, the better it seems to be in his eyes. Which means making it something with animation and voice acting.

I'm kind of bothered by that, to be honest. Part of the thing about comics (if you call them a 'graphic novel' or not) is that by reading them you are directly engaged in a way that you aren't with a cartoon or movie. You, as the reader, are tasked with filling in the gaps, to interpret the words, the timing, etc. It's a relationship between reader and creator(s) that doesn't exist in other mediums. I'm not trying to be pretentious about it, it's just a different experience with different expectations from both the creator(s) and readers.

However considering how his comics have always had trouble with straining the reader with things like bad formatting of panels and word bubbles, as well as his persistent push to tell and not show, I guess it was only natural for him to do this, as at least this way we'll know what order the panels go and who actually speaks in what order.

I suppose it also has to do with his love being in cinematography and not comics.

This is, more or less, how I feel about this whole endeavor. The way I see it, he didn't even have to go the comic book route for LSC. He had complete freedom to pursue this however he wanted, but he chose to make this a comic. It's funny because it really does seem like his heart isn't in the medium. And that's perfectly fine, but I think it would be better for him to channel his energies into something that, at least to him would be more worthwhile and interesting (as this is a passion project at this point), instead of trying to change the presentation of the comics medium or putting more effort (apparently) into anything that's not directly related to drawing a comic.

I dunno, I guess this also bugs me because I do like comics for what they do and how they engage me as a reader/viewer, and as an artistic medium that you can control the flow of a story with just the right layout and composition (and I don't mean that weird "Z" nonsense he was so enamored with).

Hidden Content

Gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess Sonia and Manik (Future Sonic and Sally's kids).

I'm going to guess Queen Alicia and Elias. Let's start up the betting pool.

Put me down for Alicia and Elias as well. Though the possibility of it being Manik and Sonia terrifies me to my core.

Manic and Sonia were created by DIC for Sonic Underground. He wouldn't be so stupid as to use them even if it's just their names.

Then again, this is a man who thinks he can use Knuckles in his book and doesn't know how to make a fucking simple comic book without overdoing it.

Edited by Jason the Jackass
  • Thumbs Up 5