Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I don't want to talk about gamergate itself but this is honestly a pretty expected move by him. He likes to pretend he's a feminist whilst working from a very, uh, 1950s point of view towards gender stuff*. It's highly unlikely he knows anything about the reactionary movement or the situations behind it, but throwing support behind the girl makes him a Good Feminist(TM) right?

It's kind of like how he plagiarised the Holocaust poem and pretended it was okay because he had jewish friends.

(* Some things Penders has written could be considered progressive if we weren't in the mid 2010s.)

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I don't want to talk about GamerGate neither (Although I would like my media with the least ammount of crap possible).

It's not something that should be talked in this thread. It's just that I read his tweets, and I literally went "Aw shiieeet, he got himself another ride that will never end". And I agree with you, knowing Penders a bit, your point of view it's pretty much what I thought.

Which is something that really irks me about this man. He wants to look more than wants to be. He wants to look like a great writer/artist but he doesn't try to improve. He wants to look cool with the gender equality (is the name we have for that where I live, lol), but then he says  things that make you cringe ("If my Su-kini is bad, just look at what girls wear in this convention, look let me make photos without permission!" is still in my mind).

About the new sue threat, could this be as serious as the first Pendering?

If it is I want to put it a subtitle: The Pendering 2: Chronicles of Lara-Sue.

There, I put my stupid unfunny joke, now i'm happy.

Edited by Maeson
Adding unfunny lame joke.
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's hard to venture an opinion on his latest legal foray until we find out what his new complaint actually is.  It's something related to Archie's comics app... but what?  We're just guessing here.  Probably not inaccurately, but you never know with Mr. Penders.  I would be very surprised if Archie had misstepped, though, given that they've been treading around him like he's broken glass - very carefully, and sweeping as much of it away as they can.

• Thumbs Up 4

I honestly still don't get it. Why is he pursuing all these legal actions?

Money of course,  dear chap. How else is he supposed to fund the Lara-Su Chronicles? :P

I wonder.. given this legal mess Penders has created, (and spawned a reboot of the series, I hear) would that make the issues he worked on in the 90s valuable? I'm not really an Archie fan, but I have a bunch of old comics from the 90s, including issue 50, autographed by Ken. Sorry if this is off-topic.

For fuck sake. WILL YOU JUST FUCKING SAY IF IT INVOLVES RED CIRCLE, THE APP, OR SONIC. BE FUCKING SPECIFIC. These tweets are the words of a man who knows for a fucking fact he doesn't have a leg to stand on and is desperately trying to be as cryptic as possible so he isn't called out on the fact he hasn't got anything.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's all just more cryptic scaremongering from the guy.  I'm telling you, if I see this whole thing end in an out of court settlement HifiHedgehog will be right on the money (which I think he is).  It's just a means for Ken to squeeze money from Archie, not some creator's rights mumbo jumbo he spews out like Old Faithful.  It might just be he's bluffing about hardly anything worth another lawsuit which, hopefully, Archie would call him out on.

Of course, it's all educated guessing, but I'm more sure it's true than Penders of having anything that counts as a "Breach of agreement".

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm not sure if there's a Twitter equivalent of "vaguebooking," but Penders is a master of it.

Hell, he should write a book on that instead. It would probably be far better.

I wonder.. given this legal mess Penders has created, (and spawned a reboot of the series, I hear) would that make the issues he worked on in the 90s valuable? I'm not really an Archie fan, but I have a bunch of old comics from the 90s, including issue 50, autographed by Ken. Sorry if this is off-topic.

I honestly doubt it. In some circumstances the might have, but I think the general bad rep, perceived low quality, lack of relevance to anything going on now, and perhaps most of all, the negative feelings towards Penders himself have probably sunk demand.

That isn't to say there aren't people who would want them, but the overall demand is probably low, lower now with many of those stories having been made available again through legitimate means.

Yeah, what KingKoopaScoopa said. I've checked into this myself. The only place where Penders work is being offered at an amount exceeding two bucks is on his own ebay page. Everywhere else? Dirt cheap. His work really ain't worth that much, even post reboot. 

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, looking at that third tweet, I can't help but notice that he considers Sonic an "immediate concern," but I can't figure out why it would be for the life of me. Is he really going to try to start something over Lost Hedgehog Tales? I honestly can't think of anything Archie has officially done that would breach their settlement.

I really wish he'd cut it out with the cryptic nonsense, but I suppose he can't get attention any other way (though I imagine releasing the actual work would get him all the attention he wants... and a lot he probably doesn't).

You know, looking at that third tweet, I can't help but notice that he considers Sonic an "immediate concern," but I can't figure out why it would be for the life of me. Is he really going to try to start something over Lost Hedgehog Tales? I honestly can't think of anything Archie has officially done that would breach their settlement.

I really wish he'd cut it out with the cryptic nonsense, but I suppose he can't get attention any other way (though I imagine releasing the actual work would get him all the attention he wants... and a lot he probably doesn't).

I am thinking perhaps that maybe there is some kind of issue regarding reprint payments for the Sonic App. Like, maybe there's something about App works that differ from physical print or whatever when it comes to royalties? 

Hmm, maybe, but it still doesn't make sense. I mean, reprints are reprints, right? Would a difference in medium really change the rules regarding that? And those books were available digitally for years even before Archie updated the app, so I can't see how things have changed because of that. I dunno, it's just strange.

I only brought up LHT because of his potshots at Flynn last time and it seemed to be the only thing I could think of, nonsensical as that is.

Hmm, maybe, but it still doesn't make sense. I mean, reprints are reprints, right? Would a difference in medium really change the rules regarding that? And those books were available digitally for years even before Archie updated the app, so I can't see how things have changed because of that. I dunno, it's just strange.

I only brought up LHT because of his potshots at Flynn last time and it seemed to be the only thing I could think of, nonsensical as that is.

Point. It doesn't help that while he claims to be in the clear, he's still being incredibly vague about what the exact problem is. If he was really in the legal right as he claims, he could very easily just say what's wrong and show what's wrong, but he insists on this cryptic nonsense. 

I dunno, I'm just trying to think of some *rational* reason for all of this, even if it involves Penders. 

"[Sonic] is an immediate concern..."

Lemme guess, he probably thinks he has a claim the the Wolf Pack despite the fact that none of the new members, outside of a vague resemblance to Leeta and/or Lyco, are actually his characters. That or he's so petty that he honestly wants to sue Archie because Ian didn't credit him as the copyright owner of Hershey, and co. Since obviously, you can't even mention said characters in a past tense without giving the copyright.

But this raises a question. If it really is about Sonic that's got his panties in a twist, then why not specifically mention that he's taking SEGA to court? He's mentioned Archie, but not SEGA specifically. Which would imply that it is about the Impact line of the Red Circle heroes, in which case he's probably being vague since he doesn't have a leg to stand on save for that inking job.

...Unless he's threatening the suit because Archie isn't using his work in the app and he's claiming suppression of his work or some shit like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, it could. There was an entire Hollywood strike some years back due to the royalties involving DVDs, streaming, all that fun stuff because it wasn't originally included in contracts drawn up by studios. I think stuff like VHS and cable/television were covered, but not newer media.

But given the timing of the case and settlement, I wouldn't think much has changed since then, not to such a degree.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh, it could. There was an entire Hollywood strike some years back due to the royalties involving DVDs, streaming, all that fun stuff because it wasn't originally included in contracts drawn up by studios. I think stuff like VHS and cable/television were covered, but not newer media.

But given the timing of the case and settlement, I wouldn't think much has changed since then, not to such a degree.

Ah, I see. Actually, reminds me of how Married... with Children can't use the original "Love and Marriage" theme on home releases/digital streams but it's still fine in syndicated reruns and it's because it wasn't covered in the contract/the studios don't want to license it for the home releases (I think this got worked out recently, though).

Though I'm still a little unclear because, like I said, these books were available digitally before the court case, and still are available (in fact, the covers were altered to include creator credits--my digital copy of Knuckles mini-series #1 was originally released with the regular covers, but right after the lawsuit, the digital copies got upgraded with creator credits like on the Archive covers). I still can't imagine much has changed, least of all if this is because Archie updated their app. Impact is one thing, because that's new, but I would have thought everything Sonic was dealt with during the settlement.

Edited by Zaysho

I think he just wants to ruin any possibility of a happy life as we know it, and Archie is just a means to an end.

• Thumbs Up 3

Though I'm still a little unclear because, like I said, these books were available digitally before the court case, and still are available (in fact, the covers were altered to include creator credits--my digital copy of Knuckles mini-series #1 was originally released with the regular covers, but right after the lawsuit, the digital copies got upgraded with creator credits like on the Archive covers). I still can't imagine much has changed, least of all if this is because Archie updated their app. Impact is one thing, because that's new, but I would have thought everything Sonic was dealt with during the settlement.

Well, considering how long he waited to act on Sonic Mega Collection Plus, maybe he just hasn't realized it was happening until now?!

I think it would be hilarious if he was mad at Archie for not reprinting his work.

I would be very upset if this has anything to do with anything currently in the comics or Lost Hedgehog Tales, but I personally doubt either one, especially the former since I doubt he even keeps up with the comics, considering his reluctance to read them even while he was a writer. He sure does know how to ruffle people's feathers by being vague, though.

Penders is quite a sad and sorry fellow, really. Whatever meager attention he gets is entirely based on people either getting upset at things he says or laughing at ridiculously bad art and story bits he releases. He desperately wants to be relevant, but he just isn't.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, considering how long he waited to act on Sonic Mega Collection Plus, maybe he just hasn't realized it was happening until now?!

Nah, he only MENTIONED thinking about acting on it. AFTER he had actually failed to act on Sonic Chronicles due to not understanding how video game profits work. 

• Thumbs Up 1