Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

You know, if there ARE sex scenes and if he DOES draw them... imagine Penderized naughty bits drawn by hm.

Has anyone even contacted Sega yet about this whole mess?

Part of me wants to wait until he actually publishes. You know, so it's too late.

• Thumbs Up 1

trublusonicfan continues his tirade against fashion & thought police by bringing up Gen 13, which last I check was for teenage boys (at least), as opposed to LSC which is for.... what, all ages? Teen girls?

https://twitter.com/trublusonicfan/status/485271082937495552

https://twitter.com/trublusonicfan/status/485278207680077827

...Seemlingly forgetting that Lara-Su has been described by Penders as looking for a boyfriend, her series having physical relationships (most likely same & interspecies), and the first full body depiction of Lara (since the intial pre-DYD concept art) literally showing her as sensual as a malformed alien as her can be.

Gen 13, which I admit I've never read, could be yet another "babes in tights, not much else" book, like many in the 90's were, but at least I'm sure it knew what demographic it was aiming at.

So, I can't sleep quite yet, and my ego compelled me to take another crack at the Kn--er, Praetorian design after seeing how great SweeCrue's version turned out. I needed another go, dammit! (SweeCrue, I hope you don't mind I used your design as a base to improve my own)

tumblr_n887zlpAY11s44s5jo1_1280.png

I first borrowed quite a bit from SweeCrue's design, particularly the digitigrade legs I've become so fond of working on a character I designed for a friend's comic and the simpler clothing and armor. I ended up shortening the snout and dreadlocks and tossed the hat. No reason, I don't care for the hat. Most I carried over from my design are the Wolverine claws and boots that still, vaguely, make a call back to Knuckles and maybe the shapes on the dreadlocks. In the end I suppose it's basically Predator (which I only know of from what little I've ever seen of the design), Wolverine, Knuckles, and maybe my and my friend's character Zelana all tossed into a blender to make... whatever the hell this is.

Yeah, I think Penders's blatant ripping off of one of Sonic's most iconic cast members really got to me, but it's helped stretch some creative muscles and synergize some cool influences into something that's, hopefully, a little more unique and interesting.

...Maybe I should go to bed. I don't have much to say about trublusonicfan's attempts to dismiss people's opinions... I think I spent too much time in this topic the last two days, so maybe I should take a break and enjoy my birthday...

NO NO NO GUYS NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Hi, these kinds of posts are generally regarded as spam as they do not contribute to the topic in any meaningful way.  Please refrain from such posts in the future or else you may risk disciplinary action placed on your account.  Thanks <3

• Thumbs Up 4

Someone has to photoshop an offical art of knuckles and put the things that's on what the fuckles on the offical art and I'll show it to him.

Edit: and he still hasn't answered me on twitter :|.

He probably won't. It's a common trait of the intellectually dishonest to ignore criticisms and arguments they have no response to. 

Wow. I jump out of this thread for three days and now it turned into the smoldering ruins of a post apocalyptic dacha for ex-Sonic characters.

Well almost - it was smoldering before that, but now everything semi recognizable looks like it has been hit with a 20 megaton bomb launched by the itchy trigger finger of one Ken Penders, sooted in dodge and burn.

Going through these discussions, from the beach bikini party with puddingfaced enchiladas from Pandora to that "I cannot believe that was the thing that Ken backstabbed Hurst over to sell to SEGA" pitch, this has been one long train ride into crazytown. Everything that he has done is unforgivable given his history from the general view of that he just doesn't want to learn about anything. The blatant misogyny is appalling for someone who claims to be a progressive person.

Seriously I cannot get over Kenders sticking Lara-Su in a bikini and calling it aesthetically fashionable, then winding some story about the planet being filled with water.  It is almost as if the guy has never seen a scuba suit at all, and to boot, hopefully one without boob socks.

Even then taking that if this was an alien culture to the ones from Mobius and that their cultural attire is different from ours, it would still be unnecessary to stick her into Wrestling Roses fashion for the sake of aesthetics, even considering that she is underage. You don't see him doing it to the male cast, just the female ones, so obviously that argument is a shut case before you even know what is going on - a typical pandering (Pendering, heh) for sexual appeal.

And then comparing it to the con goers? Really? You are going to compare that thing to the con goers in costume and then shame their cosplay?

Aside from Red Sonic wearing a cowboy hat and the My First Presentation, the whole misogynist inclusion with free back-up and pedal "apology" is the thing that has stuck out the most. But this being Penders, why am I even surprised? Damage Control is on speed dial now and it has disconnected long ago.

• Thumbs Up 6

Hey that's me turbo responded too. Never heard of Gen 13 until now either. I don't care if my real name's showing.

Julie stopped by to say hi and check out the new stuff. pic.twitter.com/HKo6Q0pxPa

Nicholas stopped by to say hi and check out the new stuff. pic.twitter.com/JjnOXcLlw3

From Penders Twitter.

Julie's wearing a Fullmetal Alchemist t-shirt depicting Colonel Roy Mustang... 

Alert! Conspiracy theory time!

Julie is the actual FuhrerMustang!

I know, I know, it's probably coincidence, but it would show how tiny his fanbase is...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm...I can't believe I'm saying this but that..actually doesn't look too bad. Still, doesn't change the fact that they look like slightly more humanoid SEGA Knuckles rejects and not something more original.

• Thumbs Up 6

Huh, yeah, I agree, Gabz. That's not bad at all. Clearly, Penders does have talent. It's a shame he ruins good line art with his god awful colouring. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It looks decent(ish) only because it's only a straight up pencilling, with none of Kenny-boy's terrible coloring & dodge-burn effects put on to it.

Also, some more pic Tweets.

First up is someone holding one of Ken's past failures (a piece of C.A. from his "Sonic" movie proposal, which has been features in this topic): https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/485390351075934208

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/485390726591959040

This one (as well as the second of the above Tweet links) show off the man himself. HIs days as a member of the Ned Flanders Look-A-Likes Club are long gone: https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/485391975064301568

Julie's wearing a Fullmetal Alchemist t-shirt depicting Colonel Roy Mustang... 

Alert! Conspiracy theory time!

Julie is the actual FuhrerMustang!

I know, I know, it's probably coincidence, but it would show how tiny his fanbase is...

I'd say that those two are probably relatives of his. If not Stevie P & Cousin Jessica, then probably some more of his kin. I have no idea who'd want their kids to pay $20 just to take a picture next to those standees (I don't believe Ken when he said that taking pictures was always free. He might have changed that as he stays there, but not on the first day of the con, I'm sure).

It looks decent(ish) only because it's only a straight up pencilling, with none of Kenny-boy's terrible coloring & dodge-burn effects put on to it.

Also, some more pic Tweets.

First up is someone holding one of Ken's past failures (a piece of C.A. from his "Sonic" movie proposal, which has been features in this topic): https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/485390351075934208

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/485390726591959040

This one (as well as the second of the above Tweet links) show off the man himself. HIs days as a member of the Ned Flanders Look-A-Likes Club are long gone: https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/485391975064301568

I'd say that those two are probably relatives of his. If not Stevie P & Cousin Jessica, then probably some more of his kin. I have no idea who'd want their kids to pay $20 just to take a picture next to those standees (I don't believe Ken when he said that taking pictures was always free. He might have changed that as he stays there, but not on the first day of the con, I'm sure).

Or, you know, he's probably lying through his teeth.

Okay, I've caught up with about 11 pages worth of drama.

Regarding the whole sexualization of a teenage girl and implications of sex, part of the criticism against it is half-justified and half-overreacting.

Half-overreacting because I'm pretty sure each and everyone of you have seen and acknowledged sexualized teenage characters in media out there and not raised a fuss over them, predominantly in anime like Dragonball, Bleach, HOTD, and I'm sure many of you can each add to the list. Granted, it's a very grey area depending on how it's portrayed - given the examples out there in media, a lot of it happens to get away with varying degrees of subtlety or bluntness. But given what I'm reading in this topic, I just want to make clear that sex appeal on teenagers isn't exactly something to raise torches and pitchforks over...

...and yet it's half-justified because in addition to how it's portrayed, there is a cut-off point to where that becomes an obvious problem (typically 16-17 is acceptable since they're closer to legal age), and if Lara-su is suppose to be 14-15 then that can come off as a problem from the images seen alone. Maybe more than half-justified since she's in a bikini that suppose to be "practical atheltic wear" for her - and it's anything but considering how much I rage at simple things like boobplates on a female armor. Not just that, but it's a freaking bikini that's supposedly her main outfit...I mean really? Much as I like seeing this stuff on comic book adult women for sex appeal, that doesn't make it any less annoying to see defended as an acceptable attire for women - I prefer my female fighters to be as decently and practically dressed as my male characters if they're fighting in uniforms. I know it comes off as a bit bipolar to enjoy something and criticize how stupid it is at the same time, but there is that whole sexual fantasy that seems to dominate female characters instead of being tasteful about it that annoys me in spite of me liking it.

And this isn't even getting into the whole PG-13 thing associated with it on the subject of it being made into a movie. And on top of the misogynistic subtexts, writing, and general handling of many of his female characters that pushes the envelope even more. The only progressive thing he's doing is starring a female character, but that's as much as you can give him since the way he's defending himself comes off as very...I wouldn't say "insensitive" because that would be fucking hypocritical coming from me of all people. I've already pointed out the sexism, but there's another word for this to describe what I'm trying to say.

Now on the subject of Penders himself - I hate the man. Not even gonna bother hiding that, and I have every reason to hate him by his attitude and actions alone. They're certainly not enough for me to want to wish physical harm upon the man, but it's enough for me to want to see karma come full circle on his ass in order to knock him off his high horse and give him a reality check.

• Thumbs Up 4

@ChaosSupeeme: But LSC isn't an anime...

And yes there are men & women over sexualized in comics, I don't think anyone would deny that. But there's just something skeevy about taking a character that used to be in a Children's comic and sexualizing her like that * not to mention imply she's sexually active*. The whole thing is fan-fic level material more so then legit stuff.

I do have to wonder if most of those people who got the pictures taken with those things are either his family or close friends. I mean It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if BobR got his picture taken to make it look like Penders was getting a lot of attention. I mean considering all the things you could get for the price of getting one picture taking with those horrifying things, you must either have a lot of money or be in his fan group. Because considering the price for them, you probably wouldn't have much left over if you were to get multiple things from him.

Another thing is how I think Ken might need money pretty damn badly if he's selling these things for this price. I mean most of those Sonic issues he's selling for $60, you could probably just go to eBay and get for less that $10. Since I'm in the UK, I have no clue how much those Sonic issues go for in the US but on eBay UK, the old issues usually go for between £3-£6 not including delivery costs. Even on the Bumbleking forums, someone posted on the Sonic merchandise thread that he got the very first issue of the Sonic comic (Not the miniseries but the actual main series) in very good condition for $15. So considering the issues Ken is selling are likely some of the crap ones that didn't sell like Sonic Live, I don't see how he can see them for that much.

God this took forever to catch up on, but hell if I don't want to skip anything 10 pages or not never know whats gonna be on the next page.

I...don't think a lot of people here have. Eeeee.

I haven't, what the hell is this about?

So I've been thinking that maybe SEGA will step in and sue or C&D Ken Penders only if the comic actually does end up being published. Once they find out he's selling a comic book with Knuckles rejects doing inappropriate "PG-13" things and earning money from it, they better step in and stop the guy. He needs to know that sticking to his Archie comic roots is wrong and he needs try and be more, hmm I dunno, original.

Right on the money. guys remember that all that is right now is fanart and talk, lots and lots of inane chatter. but the second SEGA sees money being profited off of this they will gravity hammer his ass soo hard.

• Thumbs Up 3

Umm, Isn't money already being earned off this Knuckles ripoff because he's selling the print of it at the con? 

Yeah I don't see SEGA taking the time to sue Penders, this schlock isn't really a threat to them. But at the same time if they do I wouldn't blame em.

As I already said, Isn't the case with Penders and Sega still ongoing? I mean Ken tried to sue them because he claimed his characters were ripped off for Sonic Chronicles despite the fact there was major differences between them so him ripping off Sega and then showing that he knows he did it by saying he believed he was in his rights and that he believes he owns future Knuckles because he wrote M25YL wouldn't really paint a pretty picture for him since he's trying to claim that Sega did the same thing to his characters.

They don't see officially published material containing exact underaged Knuckles rip-offs getting it on as a threat?

Really?