Awoo.

Disney Princess

The Disney Dork

Tiara.png

I'm sure you're all aware of the Disney Princess franchise...a group of lead female characters from various

Disney animated movies, which is growing constantly. I just wanted to make a general thread for it...who's

your favorite? What's your opinion on the franchise as a whole? What do you think of the redesigns? What do you want to see in future princesses? What's your overall opinion on each character and movie in general?

The official Disney Princess line up currently consists of:

Snow White (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves)

Cinderella (Cinderella)

Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)

Ariel (The Little Mermaid)

Belle (Beauty and the Beast)

Jasmine (Aladdin)

Pocahontas (Pocahontas)

Mulan (Mulan)

Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)

Rapunzel (Tangled)

Merida (Brave)

...in that order biggrin.png

Future Disney Princesses:

Anna (Frozen, official coronation this summer)

Elsa (Frozen, official coronation this summer)

Moana (Moana, 2018 TBA)

It's impossible for me to choose an absolute favorite.  I think they all represent good qualities in some ways.

I admire Belle's tendency to see the good in bad people, Jasmine's free will and conviction to love over riches and royal duty, Cinderella's desire to break free from her constrictive and controlling upbringing, and Mulan's endeavors to serve her nation regardless of ascribed gender roles.

And of course, they're all enviably beautiful.  I love them all <3 :3

• Thumbs Up 1

It's impossible for me to choose an absolute favorite.  I think they all represent good qualities in some ways.

I admire Belle's tendency to see the good in bad people, Jasmine's free will and conviction to love over riches and royal duty, Cinderella's desire to break free from her constrictive and controlling upbringing, and Mulan's endeavors to serve her nation regardless of ascribed gender roles.

And of course, they're all enviably beautiful.  I love them all <3 :3

Hehe, fair enough. Although I too like them all in one way or another, my two absolute favorites are Mulan and Elsa...I can't choose between them!

When it comes to Disney princesses, my favorite of the present ones would easily be Tiana. She's spent years and years saving up money in order to open a restaurant, and is generally hard-working, ambitious and tells it like it is. She really was a step-up from the rest of the Disney Princesses in my eyes, even if I do like most of them. Only ones I don't like are Cinderella, Aurora and Pocahontas, all three come off as rather uninteresting characters to me, especially in the case of Aurora. If we're on the topic of future princesses, it's easily Elsa who's my favorite (and my fav Disney princess overall), I love her design, and her character arc in Frozen. Easily one of the most emotionally complex Disney characters in recent times, and the fact she's voiced by Idina Menzel makes her even more awesome. And winter's my favorite season, so I of course love her ice powers.

• Thumbs Up 5

I can at least tell you the one I don't like:

Aurora reminds me too much of this girl I knew at primary school who was a total snob.

My favourite princess is Jasmine, hands down. She's hot beautiful, brave, and she fulfill her duties as a princess like nobody else.

In the episode "The Ethereal" from the tv series she actually DIED to save the life of a child, thus proving to the Ethereal that it's the people what make Agrabah a city worth to be spared from destruction.

My 2nd favourite must be Snow White. Unlike Aurora, Snow White does more than just sleeping and waiting for the necrophile prince.

She's kind, gentle, funny

disney-princess_225653_3_zps5a6c8665.jpg

"And you must be Grumpy!" biggrin.png

and she knows how to put the dwarves in their places. She can be a perfect mother.

What do you think of the redesigns?

I reply with another question.

...what was they even thinking?

Mulan looks like she had too many botox injections.

Rapunzel works only in 3D. In 2D, her gigantic eyes are really creepy.

Merida... that's not Merida!

Same for Belle. What's with those uncombed hair?

Future Disney Princesses:

Anna (Frozen)

Elsa (Frozen)

Moana (Moana, 2018 TBA)

But Elsa is already a queen blink.png Do they want to demote her?

My 2nd favourite must be Snow White. Unlike Aurora, Snow White does more than just sleeping and waiting for the necrophile prince.

Yeah, cooking and cleaning while she dreams all day of how "someday her prince will come" is certainly a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Snow White, but only in terms of what you'de usually expect from her era.

I'm not sure I really have a favorite since I usually like most of them for different reasons.

Though out of all them, I'd say Aurora definitely is the one with the most missed potential. It's probably more of how Sleeping Beauty spent more time on it's side-characters than giving actual personalities to the "main" ones (let's face it, the 3 fairies were the main characters and not the titular princess) but I sincerely think they tried to give her some qualities but unfortunately never expanded on them because she's gonna spend the latter half of the movie in sleep. I liked how she how observant and curious she was when the fairies had to kick her out so they could prepare for her birthday surprise. She knew something was up, she wasn't dumb. But that is totally shoved aside for her big scene with the prince. Plus, when the truth about who she really is revealed, I kind of felt sorry for her. Not only has her whole 16-year life has been a lie, she's going to marry some guy she was betrothed to since birth. Would've been a good way to show more of that curiosity of hers to have her ask why this had to happen and having her learn about Maleficent and the curse. Would've made me care about her more and feel empathetic when she had to eventually fall into her 'sleep mode' role.

Don't get me wrong, I fully concede to her being the blandest princess out of the entire roster (though that Eliowy from Black Cauldron just slightly beats her. Nothing memorable about that other blondie) but I tend to put that on the fact that she was more of a plot device than an actual character with actual quirks.

• Thumbs Up 2

Rapunzel works only in 3D. In 2D, her gigantic eyes are really creepy.

That's probably because the art's bad. I'm sure if you saw the original concept drawings, she'd look fine to you. 

---

Hate the merchandise line, and the toys, but like the girls. 

I dig Merida, and Tiana. Merida's movie may have been average, but she had a great personality and I loved her very distinct look from other princesses. I hate what they did to her in the line up.

Love Tiana; she's got a good head on her shoulders and has a wonderful singing voice to match.

Also; I despise the redesigns. And I hate how in this generic looking artwork always portrays everyone in all this guady makeup, jewelry and all that bleeecchh!

Disney-Princess-disney-princess-34232294

I feel like I'm gonna have a seizure if I look at them for too long.

Also, I'm so bothered that they keep painting Cinderella's outfit blue. It was silver in the movie. (Oh, but Disney tries their hardest to change that.)

I'll write about my favourite princess, Belle, when I  have enough time.

For now, I really like how Mulan, in that picture, completely goes against what her movie taught. Great move, Disney marketing.

• Thumbs Up 1

But Elsa is already a queen blink.png Do they want to demote her?

If you want to get real technical, a princess is only in a lower position of authority if that's how that monarchy is set up.  "Princess" actually used to be synonymous with "queen" and in many instances still refers to any female member of royalty or any woman who marries a prince.  So calling her a princess when she's already a queen would not be a demotion by any extent of the word. ^.~

I remember there was a real uproar when Merida's redesign was unveiled, particularly from Brave's director. She hated how they changed her from a natural body shape and looks to that of a model.

I'll write about my favourite princess, Belle, when I  have enough time.

For now, I really like how Mulan, in that picture, completely goes against what her movie taught. Great move, Disney marketing.

Money vs morals. 

If we leaned towards the later, Merida wouldn't be pampered up in this lineup. 

I remember there was a real uproar when Merida's redesign was unveiled, particularly from Brave's director. She hated how they changed her from a natural body shape and looks to that of a model.

Disney are cheapsaktes. It costs less to have her be the same body as the other princesses. 

I dunno if this is appropriate for the topic, or not, but I have this complaint when it comes to the appearances/diversity of Disney princesses. I do get it's Disney and it's their style, but it still bugs me how they follow the same template and barely deviate from it: slender body (seriously, ever heard of a waistline?), huge eyes, pretty face and pouty lips. I also wish the princess line had more ethnic diversity to it, of all the thirteen princesses, ten of them are white. All the princesses having terribly unrealistic body proportions basically sends out the wrong kind of message in terms tof body image to people, and the fact that there's only three princesses that aren't white is worrisome on its own. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I dunno if this is appropriate for the topic, or not, but I have this complaint when it comes to the appearances/diversity of Disney princesses. I do get it's Disney and it's their style, but it still bugs me how they follow the same template and barely deviate from it: slender body (seriously, ever heard of a waistline?), huge eyes, pretty face and pouty lips. I also wish the princess line had more ethnic diversity to it, of all the thirteen princesses, ten of them are white. All the princesses having terribly unrealistic body proportions basically sends out the wrong kind of message in terms tof body image to people, and the fact that there's only three princesses that aren't white is worrisome on its own. 

I definitely agree that they need to be more diverse.  This is understanding, of course, that many of the Disney princesses were conceptualized before the concept of diversity was ever entertained, as during their initial debut, the white audience was really the only audience that mattered to the filmmakers.  But times have changed and there really does need to be more representation of not only other ethnicities, but also other body sizes and shapes.

Much like Barbie came under scrutiny for this sort of thing upon her first appearance, Disney princesses have long been under fire for provoking unhealthy body images.  I think there needs to be more in-betweens as well as extremes.  Preferably in such a way where their weight is not a definitive factor of their character, like so many movies tend to make them out to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kind of makes me glad not to see Kida from Atlantis on the official line, if that's the case.

She may have been a different take on what Disney considers "princess-like" in appearance and role, but it makes me wonder about those who keep asking why she needs to be a part of the line when she's only going to be altered for the worse in their eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say it's kinda pointless to complain about diversity of Disney Princesses, for the simple reason that it's still early days.

We've had four Disney Princesses of different ethnicities because we've only had twenty-something years where diversity was taken into account (as I consider Ariel to be the oldest of the "modern" princesses).

Sure we have just four ethinically diverse DP's now, but give it another 20 or 30 years, and that should hopefully have doubled, if not more.

There's actually 4 ethnic princesses (Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan and Tiana) with the fifth coming soon (Moana, who's polynesian).

Also, I don't know if you guys know, but they redesigned Merida AGAIN, for everyone who hated the first:

(the one all the way to the right)

tumblr_mv1txg6EQx1sqasr3o1_1280.pngAnd to you guys talking about Elsa being a queen, yeah, she is, but she's still going to be a Disney Princess because more money for Disney she's a strong, independent female role model. Mulan and Pocahontas are not royalty at all, ye they're still included, so there are always exceptions.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's actually 4 ethnic princesses (Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan and Tiana) with the fifth coming soon (Moana, who's polynesian).

Also, I don't know if you guys know, but they redesigned Merida AGAIN, for everyone who hated the first:

(the one all the way to the right)

tumblr_mv1txg6EQx1sqasr3o1_1280.pngAnd to you guys talking about Elsa being a queen, yeah, she is, but she's still going to be a Disney Princess because more money for Disney she's a strong, independent female role model. Mulan and Pocahontas are not royalty at all, ye they're still included, so there are always exceptions.

Pocahontas is added because she's the daughter of a tribal Chieftan. Mulan is the only one whose not really a Princess. Technically Pocahantas may not be "nobility," but then you'd have to argue what "nobility" consists of. In her culture, Pocahontas basically would be the equivalent of nobility, really.

Honestly, I don't care for the Disney Princesses line. They're all way over the top from their original portrayals, especially Merida. I never watched Brave, but I do know that they basically took everything away from her character in her redesign. Same for Mulan, really.

NOTE: Looking at the latest designs, at least they brought Merida's bow back. I believe at one point they completely and totally dropped the bow (or am I mistaken?).

There's also the fact that a lot of the "early" princesses are just plain bland. Namely Snow White and Aurora, ESPECIALLY Aurora. Cinderella is a mixed bag. I hate how Disney completely ignores her backstory in the original story, especially notable how Cinderella herself was technically a noble to begin with (wasn't her father supposed to be a Duke?) Either that or I'm mistaken as its been so long since I watched it.

Oh, and Cinderella had two pointless sequels that served no purpose. There's also that.

As a whole, I think the whole line is flawed from the get-go. I guess you could say diversity is a problem (TheFatPanda's explanation is the best), but really, what about the fact that they're all overly sexualized? For the princesses that had any good in their actual character, they threw it all away just to make them look pretty plus they made the body proportions horrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find it a shame that people say that all the Princesses look the same. It's really just how that marketting portrays them, because in their original films, they all look fairly unique in their own way. Take Snow white for instance; she actually has a normal body in her movie.

Snow-White-and-the-Seven-Dwarfs-Screenca

These days, it's impossible to tell her apart, aside from her hair and dress.

• Thumbs Up 2

For Belle, they made a point of having her stand out from the people in her village: she's the only one dressed in blue in a sea of brown.

Cinderella stands out when you put her side by side with her step family: she looks beautiful compared to her average looking step sisters.

I'm not a fan of the princess line though I like most of the characters themselves. The line needs more *insert girl from atlantis whose name I can't remember* and Maid Marion though.

But yeah, I hate the redesigns and the fact that the line is little more than an excuse to slap stock art on anything and everything and charge a fortune.

For Belle, they made a point of having her stand out from the people in her village: she's the only one dressed in blue in a sea of brown.

Cinderella stands out when you put her side by side with her step family: she looks beautiful compared to her average looking step sisters.

I think we were talking about their differences from each other.

Also, Fear Tear, these are some of the initial Rapunzel sketches by Glen Keane; maybe this will creep you out less.

02%2BGlen%2BKeane%2Braiponce.jpg

Also; you guys ever notice how Jasmine seems whiter in the toyline than she is in her original film?

Yeeck, that glitter.

522620_511308955593370_174432130_n.jpg

aladdin.jpg

One of the things I love about Belle, is that when she meets the Beast, she acts like a real person would act.

She's scared of the Beast, she doesn't want to understand him, nor she cares if he has feelings, and she even runs away when she sees the chance, thus flushing the oath to stay in the castle in her father's place down the toilet.

It's only after the Beast saves her from wolves that Belle starts caring a bit about her future love interest.

In this regard, Belle feels believeable to me (or at least way more believable than her portrayal in the midquel Enchanted Christmas)

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't know if I should be scared or excited for Anna and Elsa's re-designs...

• Thumbs Up 1