Awoo.

Gabz Girl

Seems like an interesting idea.

I'm not too keen on Wreck-It Ralph myself, so hopefully, this will be better.

So does this mean that The Incredibles are being ditched? I was kind of hoping for a sequel. :(

If they will manage to not screw it up, i will look forward to it.

Also, it would be neat if somehow, this ties up with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

As everyone has said, I am too really looking forward to this film. Disney hasn't done an action-oriented movie since Treasure Planet (or Atlantis or Bolt, if you beg to differ), so this is a warm welcome. The fact this is the first time they're making use of a Marvel property since they bought them out back in '09 makes me even more excited. I don't really have much else to say since... well, they've barely released anything in regards to the film, ahaha. San Fransokyo looks really fucking awesome though.

This does look pretty promising to me as well, although I hope both the humor and the action will find a good balance.

Also that was so golden, FearTear.

When I first learned of this I basically thought "So the Wonderful 101, Disney style... Sweet!"

I'm pretty interested in this movie, It's neat to see Disney Animation making something with Marvel, and I've always wondered what an anime-esque movie made by Disney would be like.

I'm keeping a close eye on this one here. I'm pretty excited for it!

Together with Wasabi No-Ginger, Honey Lemon, Go Go Tamago, and Fred, they are Big Hero Six!

Fred

qqAQM.png

It's over. This movie is already a failure.

huehuehue

• Thumbs Up 2

Um, actualy we do know what they look like, or at least their comic counterparts at least

Here's a picture of the cast of the actual comic book for anyone who doesn't know anything about them.

big-hero-6.jpg

I've never heard of the book so i've no idea what to expect from this, Disney's been on a hot streak recently though so I'm excited-ish....like others have said, the lack of any info, screens, trailer, cast etc. is pretty annoying...

• 2 weeks later...

He's voicing Fred apparently.

Hope they will announce the rest of the cast soon! >> I reckon we'll get a teaser trailer for Big Hero 6 with Maleficent.

Once again, you guys across the pond get screwed on the release date. ><

But anyway, Disney doing something based off a Marvel comic? Color me interested. I wish we had a proper trailer though since that teaser doesn't show much.

Once again, you guys across the pond get screwed on the release date. ><

But anyway, Disney doing something based off a Marvel comic? Color me interested. I wish we had a proper trailer though since that teaser doesn't show much.

As Gabz said, let's all hope there's a proper teaser attached to Maleficent.

Not necessarily related to this movie alone, but I wonder when people are going to stop thinking "Oh it's CGI so it must be Pixar". It really grinds my ears when people think Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, and Frozen are Pixar films just because they're CGI, when in actuality Pixar had absolutely nothing to do with those movies. I mean, yeah maybe that assumption would have been a bit less ignorant in 2005 when Disney made their first CGI-only film, but really, at this point I can't help but think people should be able to differentiate Disney movies and Pixar movies by now. I mean, seriously, you'll know if it's Pixar if it actually has the Pixar intro, while Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen (as well as Disney's other less-famous CGI movies from 2005-2008) clearly have the Walt Disney Animation Studios intro that every freaking WDAS movie has!

Anyhow, around last year my lost interest in Disney was revived when I decided to get The Lion King on blu-ray, and after I saw Frozen in theatres, I can say that now I have a huge interest in Disney movies just because of their overall charm, and have been making an effort to see a lot of the well-received ones that I haven't seen. I have yet to see Wreck-It Ralph, but I was impressed by Frozen and watched Tangled after finding out that Frozen is the "spiritual successor" to Tangled (musical, fairy-tale based film), and enjoyed that too (and then later got Beauty and the Beast on blu-ray, and watched Hunchback of Notre Dame on Netflix), I will say that I'm looking forward to Big Hero 6 (even though I know nothing about the comic it's based from).

One film I'm looking forward the most however, is Disney's upcoming film Moana, set for release in 2018. It's Disney's next musical, and Disney's musicals are the ones I seemingly enjoy the most. (I really hope that by then, Disney will drop their recent tradition of naming their musical films with adjectives, as even though I loved Frozen, I think the title is pretty bland. "The Snow Queen" would have sounded so much more empowering and majestic)

One film I'm looking forward the most however, is Disney's upcoming film Moana, set for release in 2018. It's Disney's next musical, and Disney's musicals are the ones I seemingly enjoy the most. (I really hope that by then, Disney will drop their recent tradition of naming their musical films with adjectives, as even though I loved Frozen, I think the title is pretty bland. "The Snow Queen" would have sounded so much more empowering and majestic)

Too late, Moana has been already renamed "Spirited". No, I'm not kidding.

Regarding the Frozen/Snow Queen title, I'm not really sure if giving the film it's original title would've been a good move since the movie was probably Disney's biggest examples of taking a lot creative liberties with the story and 'Disneyfication,' so calling it 'The Snow Queen' would've been a huge disservice to fans of the original tale.

Yes, I know it was something they carried over with Tangled to be gender-neutral and yes, I'm not a big fan of it either, but it kind of makes sense in this case. It's basically Disney's way of saying, "Yeah, we know this isn't exactly a proper Snow Queen adaption, so we're calling it anything but and that it's just 'inspired' by the original tale."

EDIT: And oh yeah, Big Hero 6. Not much of an opinion on it yet, but it looks okay so far.

Not necessarily related to this movie alone, but I wonder when people are going to stop thinking "Oh it's CGI so it must be Pixar". It really grinds my ears when people think Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, and Frozen are Pixar films just because they're CGI, when in actuality Pixar had absolutely nothing to do with those movies. I mean, yeah maybe that assumption would have been a bit less ignorant in 2005 when Disney made their first CGI-only film, but really, at this point I can't help but think people should be able to differentiate Disney movies and Pixar movies by now. I mean, seriously, you'll know if it's Pixar if it actually has the Pixar intro, while Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen (as well as Disney's other less-famous CGI movies from 2005-2008) clearly have the Walt Disney Animation Studios intro that every freaking WDAS movie has!

This probably has more to do with Disney's Pixarish character designs than the fact that their both CG. Frozen and Tangled have done a little better job of developing a disney style but films like Bolt are very clearly inspired by Pixar's art style.

EDIT: Actually....I think the "Pixar" term might just be becoming a generic catch all term, like how you'd say Hollywood film for any kind of big budget blockbuster or Grandmothers when I was a kid would call every games console a Nintendo....it's just a one size fits all name...its a CG animation, it's a Pixar film....

• 1 month later...

Heads up: Some more actors have been cast.

The next big Marvel superhero movie is casting up. Maya Rudolph and Jamie Chunghave boarded the cast of Big Hero 6, Disney’s animated adaptation of the Marvel comic. The pair join Silicon Valley‘s T.J. Miller, who confirmed his casting earlier this spring. Get character details and more after the jump.

Disney has not officially announced any casting for the film, but word has gotten out anyway. The action-packed adventure follows a brilliant young prodigy named Hiro Hamada, who uncovers a plot to destroy the futuristic city of San Fransokyo. He and his best pal, a robot named Baymax, form a team of crime fighters to help save the day.

Miller will play Fred, a quirky comic book fanboy who is able to turn himself into a giant lizard creature called Fredzilla. Chung is voicing Go Go Tomago, a hotheaded bike messenger who can turn herself into a ball of energy.

TheWrap reported on Rudolph’s casting. She’s said to be playing one of the lead roles, but it’s unclear which one. Perhaps she’ll voice Honey Lemon, a barista with the ability to pull anything out of her purse. (That power is cooler than it sounds — in the comics, said purse is connected to another dimension.) Or maybe Rudolph is playing a character we don’t know about yet — a villain, perhaps?

Rudolph, Chung, and Miller should be joined soon by other notable names, though you may not recognize all of them if you’re over a certain age. The youth-skewing film is expected to feature a youth-skewing cast.

Rudolph has plenty of experience with voice work. Earlier this year, she had a role in Universal’s The Nut Job, and last summer she lent her voice to Fox’s Turbo. Her next non-animated movie appearance will be in this winter’s Inherent Vice, directed by her husband Paul Thomas Anderson.

Don Hall and Chris Williams are directing Big Hero 6, which opens November 7.

http://www.slashfilm.com/big-hero-6-maya-rudolph-jamie-chung/

Still waiting to see the character designs...

Still waiting to see the character designs...

Same here, I just saw how the characters looked in the comic so I'm really curious to how they'll look in the movie.

Sad to say that I'm not really even excited for this. Disney owning Marvel...ok, but dedicating a film in the animated canon to it's characters? I don't know...maybe it's just because I've never liked superheroes. It doesn't even seem like a Disney film, really...no songs, no princesses...

But hey, Wreck-it Ralph didn't seem ANYTHING like a Disney movie at first, but it turned out to be my 2nd favorite movie of all time (Frozen is #1).

EDIT: ok I guess WIR technically had a princess in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't even seem like a Disney film, really...no songs, no princesses...

The Emperor's New Groove?

• Thumbs Up 1