Awoo.

Sonic moments that you found haunting?

Big Panda

Know who I find haunting? This guy.

Ghost.png

Too spooky.

Okay seriously, I have to say, I kind of got creeped out when I saw the cutscene before the Time Eater, when the Eggmen crushed Sonic, I thought he might've won. 

Turns out he didn't.

Good.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Biolizard. Just..the thought of that thing makes me shudder. The tubes, the core thingie on its back, the fact it looks like its in pain. It's horrible! Probably the most disturbing looking final boss in Sonic...except maybe Secret Rings final boss. Now that was one Eldritch Abomination!

I also never liked the ghosts in SA2, especially when they randomly jump out at you in Death Chamber and Pumpkin Hill. I tend to be quite jumpy, so those did startle me 95% of the time. ^^;;;

• Thumbs Up 3

Red Mountain in Sonic Adventure when you go below into the volcano catacombs, the music takes a drastic change from the upbeat and happy music from when you're outside sounding almost mechanical, but it turns out the catacombs are prisons with actual humanoid people dancing behind the bars, things get even more awful when you realize the Lava in the room is RISING, so what happens to the prisoners?

Also Spiders that are as big as Sonic creeping around the floor, the thought of 3 foot spiders just makes me think NOPENOPENOPENOPE.

If it makes you feel any better, they're implied to be ghosts, so it probably happened to them already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0fNa7Xw5PE

Seriously. What the fuck is this?

mqdefault.jpg

First we got these weird deformed Sonics looking at the viewer and they cover the screen. Second we can't read what that Japanese says. It apparently translates as "Fun is infinite with Sega." How exactly is this fun? Its horrifying! And the big kicker is the fucking music that plays. The eerie boss tune from the US ost which makes it look like all those Sonics are laughing at us in a horrifying matter.

No wonder this was a secret. They had to sneak it in cause it wouldn't get past by anyone. Its too horrifying because we just don't know anything about it. D:

• Thumbs Up 9

The End of the World in Sonic 2006 where creepy eyes of Sauron start appearing randomly, the music gets weird as hell, the world is fucking itself up, and to top it all off, the stage itself is changing into this weird purple, then green colour, while the visibility slowly fades. It's quite ominous actually. The fact that the actual level is a complete dick to you doesn't change anything.

Those fucking ghosts in Sandopolis Act 2. Not a problem when the lights are on in the pyramid, but when it gets dark they start attacking you and make you scramble for a light switch.

I can stand them now, but back when I was younger I just couldn't beat Sonic & Knuckles simply because of that. They really scared me back then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Imagine this. In 2002 I was 11 years old. The first Sonic game I really owned was Adventure 2 Battle. Me and my brother finally got a memory card after a long wait which helped us alot. We eventually beat both Hero and Dark. Suddenly, a mysterious Last Story appears. Launch the story. We're met with ... Him. Professor Gerald scared me shitless. An old man, shackled to a chair, the lighting making him look sickened saying how the Earth was doomed. Then came the diary. It had a promising scientist quickly go into insanity. I had never heard of this kind of thing, it gave me serious nightmares. It still haunts me that this once great man had turned to pure insanity.

Also to further spook me was the core sequence. Once again met with Gerald we also meet the Biolizard. Then Supporting Me starts. Something about that song really chills my bones. It has such an eerie feel, creepy vocals and overall dark tone that I was on edge the entire fight. Sadly Generations version is not scary at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Robotnik.jpg

Worst_Elise2--article_image.jpg

I'm not sure I'll ever recover.

Real talk: The drowning music in the original games scared the hell out of me as a kid.

It's much more effective with the old Genesis soundfont. It sounds so intense, and the notes are reminiscent of alarm bells.

• Thumbs Up 3

Es3MScM.png

These little shits. On top of not having fun playing as the other characters back in SA2 all those years ago, it was made worse by these guys hiding away at basically every turn in a number of levels. Starting up Pumpkin Hill for the first time, then waltzing over to the first grave in sight and SUDDENLY, ONE OF THESE FUCKERS POPS OUT. Even now, this sort of jump-scare bullshit completely freaks me out and I can't believe anyone thought these would be a good idea! Let's also not forget their big friend;

uzuxsZU.png

Just seeing these colossal freaks looming around in one spot was haunting enough, but then turning into a larger version of the other after punching it just made me have enough of the game for a long while back then, sticking to either only Sonic's stages to that point or just putting SA1 on instead. Buying SA2 on Steam under the assumption I could pull through the game one last time and get Green Hill for myself, seeing these again was the point where I just decided I'd get a complete save file to avoid ever going back to these levels with ghosts again.

Oh, and of course, the old favourite that somehow made it past under the assumption it wouldn't make imaginative minds stir and freak kids out;

I mean, as if the music and Tails' image in the sky wasn't enough, it then slaps you with the Game Over screen and it's looming music! What a swell game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic CD's USA music

JP one is all like: Try Again!

USA is like: You killed sonic. The world isn't saved. Thanks alot. Hero.

• Thumbs Up 2

In all honestly there is something a little unnerving about the smooth way King Boom Boo pops around the corner if you run too far away from him with his DRMM DRMMMMMMM     DRMM DRMMMMMMMMMM noise.  Like... apply that sort of eiree smoothness and intense... something-I-can't-put-my-finger-on of the sound effect to a more scarier ghost design and would be some proper creepy stuff.

In a more emotionally haunting way, both Lost Impact and Aquatic Base have such gorgeous sad music that perfectly captures a sense that tragedy once befell these halls.  Such a shame that they're both one of the duller levels gameplay-wise in their respective games.

If it makes you feel any better, they're implied to be ghosts, so it probably happened to them already.

Honestly this just makes it creepier, as if they're souls trapped in this hell for eternity.  D8  The distorted screaming in the music doesn't help the aesthetic they bring either.

Oh, and of course, the old favourite that somehow made it past under the assumption it wouldn't make imaginative minds stir and freak kids out;

I mean, as if the music and Tails' image in the sky wasn't enough, it then slaps you with the Game Over screen and it's looming music! What a swell game.

Well, the Game Over screen appears after the Good Ending too, downbeat Game Over music and all, so either they're literally telling you "the game is over now" each time, or Sonic 2 8-bit, what with the majority of the fanbase considering it to be one of the hardest Sonic games, is a Sonic game so hard, even if you win, you lose.  8D

Back when I first played this game, I would never replay Amy's Twinkle Park stage, just because of this track. It's the little laugh/whimper at about 20 seconds in that does it for me.

• Thumbs Up 7

Back when I first played this game, I would never replay Amy's Twinkle Park stage, just because of this track. It's the little laugh/whimper at about 20 seconds in that does it for me.

Omg that music creeped me the hell out when I first played SA1 and it still does today! I always want to leave that area as quickly as possible because it's the complete opposite from that cheery Twinkle Park music you hear before and after the mirrored hall bit. That creepy giggle...

Speaking of SA1, I always thought the first half of Lost World's music was rather unsettling too. What with the weird chanting in the background. I dunno, I thought it was strangely eerie. Funnily enough, I always liked Red Mountain's underground music. I thought it was really cool actually, though the beat throughout the song reminds me of Cyprus Hill, sort of.

Gerald's pre-death message in SA2 gave me some chills, to be sure. I think there's just something intense and creepy, almost, about the path Gerald ended up taking, and the way he conveys that to the his intended audience, I think, is actually pretty haunting, so far as Sonic moments go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic CD's US boss music by far. Holy shit is that the laughter to plague all nightmares. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The feeling of panic you got from being chased by Zero in Sonic Adventure's Amy stages was genuinely unsettling for me as a kid, knowing some invincible robot was hell bent on catching me just made me anxious to get through the levels as fast as I could.

Hate when he drops down from nowhere too, fucking hell.

• Thumbs Up 4

Vertekins beat me to it.. the bad ending to Chaotix.

I can still remember the day .. 16 years ago where I was in front of the TV, bad ending playing and just being in utter shock. As it played I eventually cursed at the game because this wouldn't have happened if Sonic & Tails were playable >.>

Navigating Scrambled Egg Zone in Sonic 2 on Master System also brings back chills.

Most of the other times I've been freaked out is thanks to debug mode (Falling out of the Special Stage in Sonic 1) or glitches/bugs (Sonic gameplay in 06, Shadow getting stuck in the battle in Generations, falling out of the stage/getting stuck in All Star Racing Transformed..)

• Thumbs Up 2

The feeling of panic you got from being chased by Zero in Sonic Adventure's Amy stages was genuinely unsettling for me as a kid, knowing some invincible robot was hell bent on catching me just made me anxious to get through the levels as fast as I could.

Hate when he drops down from nowhere too, fucking hell.

Then he returns in Sonic Advance 2's Special Stages to chase you again.

As if going back and replaying stages to collect Special Rings wasn't hard enough.

Special_Stage_(Sonic_Advance_2).png

Zero is a dick.

I thought the Death Egg was rather creepy. Suddenly you are in this really lonely place with utterly weird music, and then there's not even a stage to explore but two boss battles in a row. In a time without savestates that was pretty intimidating.

And then there was the melancholic Hidden Palace music in Sonic 2's sound test that made you wonder whatever it was supposed to be used for (or whether you might have missed a part of the game).

When Sonic 3 came out I used to explore the unfinished sections (that would later tie into S&K) by using the debug mode and found it incredibly unsettling how some of them just ended or stopped working for some reason.

I guess I was already too old to have any of the 3D era games get to me (although I can agree with most of the previous examples like King Boom Boo, Lava Mountain, Twinkle Park or Gerald's message), but there was one thing that made me literally jump in my seat: the strange, circular pattern on both ends of Mad Space's "capsule planet". I have no idea what happened there, but when I first saw that pattern, it creeped me out to no end. I'd explore the stage and would always make sure to avoid that particular place until I decided on some sort of "shock therapy" and just tried to get used to looking at that particular design o_O.

The only time I've been spooked by something Sonic related was around 3 years ago when I first head this.

The most haunting tune ever. I didn't even play CD, I was just listening to the music and by golly did this creep me out. Before that, the most horrifying thing I had experienced was the drowning music in Sonic 1. When I was a first time player, I'd hear that tune all the time and I'd make me panic. Other than that, not much. I mean, Sonic is targeted for kids. So there isn't that much creepy material. But when there is... oh boy is it creepy.

• Thumbs Up 6

The Mephiles's Whisper track. He may have been a shit villain, but even I have to admit Mephiles had an awesomely eerie theme attached to him.

It's just a theme you know could've been better for a villain more deserving of it. It's one of those themes that starts out spiraling around your head and mildly toys with your sanity for a second (much better than the actual character himself, hilariously enough). Then it becomes foreboding and tense once the bell starts to toll, only for it to stop and the more heroic and determined portion ends it all off.   

• Thumbs Up 5