Awoo.

If other characters have there own game...

Rey Skywalker-Ren

Ther are alot of people who say that ______ should have there own game. my idea is that if they have there own game then Sonic would need to be really ivolve in the story itself. If the character is going on a quest then Sonic could help or give advise. Not a mentor but a huge part if the story. A inportent part or figure.

What do you think? Good or bad idea and why?

My idea is that the Sonic universe has the potential to be really diverse. Other characters, like Tails and Shadow, have fanbases in their own right, and a game starring those other characters could flesh out the universe and of course the cast themselves.

Sonic could have a huge part or not, it really depends on the situation that the plot has. He may be the titular character of the series but it's refreshing every once in a while to have the focus off of him for a moment.

Overall it's a good idea, you just need to make the game around the other character and put effort into it just like any other game in the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh...

To be honest, that's like saying MGR:R can only exist if Solid Snake was a major part of the story. I personally think that a spinoff doesn't need to have certain characters in them, and inclusion into a plot should ultimately depend on what exactly you are aiming for.

• Thumbs Up 4

No. If other characters were allowed to have their own game, then I'd want them to be the focus not Sonic. Sonic having a huge part in it defeats the purpose entirely of having said character in their own game and makes it no different from a main series game. Keep Sonic out of the spotlight, but don't downgrade him like Shadow the Hedgehog did either.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic wasn't in Tails Adventure or Skypatrol and Tails was able to handle the situations in both games by himself.

Sonic being a large focus of the story kind of negates the fact that its suppose to be another character's game...it'd just be another Sonic game...except Sonic wouldn't be playable or Sonic would still be playable. Sonic doesn't need to be there...its not required, and even if he was there he'd just need to be a supporting role.

• Thumbs Up 2

Depends on the situation I suppose but in general, I'd say no...Sonic's the main hero of the franchise, the one who always ends up saving the day. Having him pop up in another character's adventure kinda suggests that character should take a backseat and let Sonic do his job....

And if he is there, it should definitly not be a "huge part of the story" like you suggest, because then there's no point in it not just being a Sonic game.

Plus, there's no problem with the other characters having their time in the spotlight. One of the problems with ShTH was the games need to cram as many characters into the story for the sake of brand recognition, regardless of whether or not they were necessary to the story. Shadow would have worked just as well if the majority of those characters were absent.

Sonic doesn't have to be there. See Tails' Adventure, Tails' Skypatrol and Knuckles' Chaotix.

He gets a lot of spotlight in the series as it is and I understand that as he is a main character. But giving another popular character the spotlight for once like in those three aforementioned games and Shadow the Gamehog isn't a bad idea at its core.

So, in a nutshell... Honestly, I'd rather not have him be a large part of the story. It kinda... drives the whole concept of someone else being the lead for once away.

• Thumbs Up 4

What pretty much everyone else said. 

If I play a game called, let's say, "Silver The Hedgehog", I expect the game to be all about Silver and whatever he's doing, not Sonic. I don't mind the main character making a short cameo, but I want the focus on the character the game is supposed to be about.

So in my opinion, not a very good idea.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic wasn't in Tails' Adventure, so he clearly isn't needed in another character's game. Personally, I'd rather he didn't get shoehorned into games that aren't meant to focus on him in the first place.

STC Amy: FPS with an array of different weapons, shooting the shit out of Badniks.

I'm kidding.

No, really. It's a joke.

*sniff*

Yeah, going to have to echo everyone else here.  The point of a character getting their own game is for them to experiment outside the realms of the main series, in their own environment.  That's one reason (of many) why games like the Donkey Kong and Wario series are so successful by comparison to, say, Shadow the Hedgehog.  Despite its huge focus on Shadow's amnesia and other such things, ShTH really didn't feel much like it was his own game, as it really didn't deviate that much from the typical Sonic formula outside of the grimdark story and the inclusion of guns.  Donkey Kong Country and WarioWare, on the other hand, clearly take place in their respective protagonists' "natural" environment.  It takes them outside of the boundaries of their typical interaction and allows us to focus on the character's unique strengths, weaknesses, and relationships with people outside the main cast.  That's the thing people are looking for when they want a character to have their own game, not a game that is exactly the same as the main series it's derived from.

• Thumbs Up 8

Hmmm...

It really depends on the characters and the scenario of the game. Having Sonic appearing in the story and being involved would be suitable for a Tails, Amy or an Eggman game. While Tails has had adventures without Sonic and possible for a next Tails game not to have him, having Sonic in the game can be considered okay since Sonic and Tails are friends plus if the game has plenty of cutscenes, it can show some bonding between the two whether it is laughing at a joke or something serious. Tails can also work going solo and could expand on Tails Adventure that probably if it wasn't for the Game Gear would have been noticed more. A bit like how the Donkey Kong and the Wario games are off shoots from Mario but seperate series. For Amy's case, she loves Sonic and having a game where he doesn't appear would be hard to do since her character involves Sonic somehow. Even in her adventure in Sonic Adventure, Sonic still appeared from keeping an eye out for Zero to getting into the amusement park. In Sonic Heroes, she did help Cream and Big find their friends however Sonic still appeared in the game. As for Eggman unless he faces another villain, having Sonic appear in the game would give him an incentive to carry his plans as well as giving some humour between the two. With Amy and Eggman, it is tricky to think of a scenario that doesn't involve Sonic but it is possible though. Sure Robotnik appeared in Mean Bean Machine without Sonic but that was an AoSTH tie in and an art replacement of Puyo Puyo so the game would have sold better outside of Japan.

If it is something like another Knuckles/Shadow game or a Silver/Rouge/Big/Blaze game unless he appears as a reference or at the most a cameo/rival then it is a case of putting a character there without any context. Even though Sonic was with Knuckles and Blaze, they have their own adventures whether it is Knuckles looking after the Master Emerald or joining the Chaotix and Blaze is set in a different dimension that for the latter would be seen as a rehash of Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure if Sonic appeared in her own game. Besides Silver is set at a different timeline that not much is known about and his appearances have been him going to the present, if it was set in the future having Sonic there wouldn't make any sense. Some characters don't even know Sonic very well like Bean or Bark, the former fitting into Dynamite Dux more than a Sonic game or were made before plotlines developed and don't have much to go on personality wise excluding stuff like the Archie comics such as Fang/Nack, Mighty or Ray. There might be a problem if it is story related and if Sonic appears a lot in the game for no reason, then it seems why can't he appear as the main character instead of controlling someone else.

Sonic doesn't have to be there. See Tails' Adventure, Tails' Skypatrol and Knuckles' Chaotix.

Sonic appears at the good ending of Chaotix, but the other two fair enough.

Just because Sonic plays a good part doesnt mean the character will be outshine. Sonic was the heart in one of the endings in ShTH but the focus was still on Shadow. He can be someone to show you things are etc....

Just because Sonic plays a good part doesnt mean the character will be outshine. Sonic was the heart in one of the endings in ShTH but the focus was still on Shadow. He can be someone to show you things are etc....

Granted, Sonic can be a part of someone's character development(Take Tails in SA1 for instance and how he looks up to him), but that doesn't really mean Sonic has an all-access pass. If Sonic would only have a minor role in this hypothetical game, then so be it. You use the cards you are dealt with. After all, there should be a focus on what make a good story.

I don't feel the Sonic universe is diverse and strong enough to have a character game without Sonic right now, but it definitely should be. I mean, the Sonic universe is pretty much Sonic himself. Developing a consistent setting that can apply to any character is more important than putting Sonic everywhere just so you can recognize a game as a Sonic spinoff.

Sonic appears at the good ending of Chaotix, but the other two fair enough.

A cameo doesn't really count...

My idea is that the Sonic universe has the potential to be really diverse. Other characters, like Tails and Shadow, have fanbases in their own right, and a game starring those other characters could flesh out the universe and of course the cast themselves.

Sonic could have a huge part or not, it really depends on the situation that the plot has. He may be the titular character of the series but it's refreshing every once in a while to have the focus off of him for a moment.

Overall it's a good idea, you just need to make the game around the other character and put effort into it just like any other game in the series.

True like I wouldnt want Sonic to be kidnapped in the games. Hell no. I mean a big role like someone that can lift a character from doubt. Or he can lend a character his powers for them to fight the final boss. I think for a character to have there own game the only characters needed is the character, the vliinan and Sonic. Its simple and it can be accept if Sonic is treated with respect.

In theory, I think a spin-off starring other characters COULD work, but, I haven't liked any of the games starring other characters in the series up to this point, so it's probably best that they don't do any more, at least for quite a while. Sonic Team has been working on improving Sonic's reputation in the gaming world as it is (and they've mostly been doing a pretty good job, although Lost World was definitely a misstep). I just think there needs to be some more time before they focus specifically on other characters, most of who are still looked down upon by most of the gaming community.

I guess what I'm saying is, I really just don't want another "Shadow the Hedgehog."

Shadow the Hedgehog is what happens when the Western side gets to have their fun trying to make a mature and dark game appealing to the ages around 10 to Teen and failing at it.

True like I wouldnt want Sonic to be kidnapped in the games. Hell no. I mean a big role like someone that can lift a character from doubt. Or he can lend a character his powers for them to fight the final boss. I think for a character to have there own game the only characters needed is the character, the vliinan and Sonic. Its simple and it can be accept if Sonic is treated with respect.

Personally, I think it's kind of awful to take the idea of giving a character his/her own adventure, making him go his own way, and then shove Sonic in it as a mentor or, even worse, a guy who needs to give others his powers so they can beat a Final Boss. Why? It would destroy the whole point of showing that a character is capable on his/her own as he/she would NEED to still have Sonic around to be capable of beating the villian. Putting a character in the spotlight just to let Sonic come in and steal it when it counts the most is just weak imo.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the question should be which character actually even DESERVES to have their own title.

My vote goes to Tails.

Not every character would want Sonic to be their moral lift in the first place. :/

Yeah this is actually a point.

There's only Tails and arguably Amy who look up to Sonic as a moral lift of sorts. A game with Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze, Silver, etc, with Sonic as a mentor or guidance or something... that would not fit with their character whatsoever, in all honesty.

Especially Knuckles with his whole "lol I can do this better than you fgt" ego and Shadow with his "I'll follow by what I feel".

EDIT: Then again, it's Tails giving Sonic the tutorials in Rush Adventure and Colors, sooo...

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't feel the Sonic universe is diverse and strong enough to have a character game without Sonic right now, but it definitely should be. I mean, the Sonic universe is pretty much Sonic himself. Developing a consistent setting that can apply to any character is more important than putting Sonic everywhere just so you can recognize a game as a Sonic spinoff.

That's not necessarily true.  You'll notice that Mario, Donkey Kong, and Wario seem to all take place in a different "universe," (with some unifying factors such as certain franchise staples) but they still show up in the same games together.  (Granted, not as they used to) - Unless you want all the spin-offs to be 100% canon (which I don't think should be the case), then having a world which vastly differs from the main series could work wonders for a spin-off.  I think what was really holding ShTH back as a game was the fact that they did try so hard to keep it loyal to typical Sonic setting as opposed to letting it just be its own thing.