Awoo.

Could there be a ARK, G.U.N, and Maria in the Boom universe?

8ther

If Shadow and Rouge appear, how could they be handled if G.U.N, Maria and Gerald Robotnik doesn't exist in Boom's canon, though they could easily write off Rouge as simply a thief or treasure hunter and not a secret agent but i don't see how they can have Shadow with out the Space Colony ARK and G.U.N unless they write him off as clone of Sonic or an alien(both of which would destroy his character imo).

Any thoughts?

They've already got Knuckles without the Emeralds, so anything is possible. All they have to do is take the character and put them in an entirely new story with a new background. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic the Comic Online had Shadow as an ancient weapon created by the Drakon Empire. Maybe Sonic Boom could do something like that?

I'd prefer they leave it open as to whether or not Shadow has the same backstory here that he does in other media. Leave little hints here and there for one way or another, but leave enough room for interpretation one way or another as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe they could come up with a different kind of backstory for Shadow in the Sonic Boom universe, like have it be a mysterious person with a unknown past.

I was thinking maria would just be turned into a hedgehog and they'd put more focus on her "problem" (the nids thing but slightly child friendlier. Like maybe she's still alive and their trying to help fix her with Shadow like before) Shadow would still have a promise because Gerald dedicated his life to what he considers to be his child. Makes Shadow, dies (of old age) before he can tell Shadow how to cure Maria soSShadow dedicates his purpose to carry out what his "father" started and because of hid love for his "sister". Could work.

Edit: not literally turned into hedgehog in story. But designed as a hedgehog. She could stay human but I don't think it'd fit too well. Maria would practically be Geralds daughter because he took care of her. Reason? They could leave that ambiguous. She gets or had nids. Infact maybe since he was a scientist dedicated to good things when they we're researching nids he took maria under his wing because he felt so clos to her, and as I said before dies a couple years after making shadow from age. Bam kicks off shadows purpose dedicating his life to his self proclaimed dad and sister. Then he stays close to the original and still has a touching backstory.

Or a clone of So-*shot*

LOL That would incredibly lazy! XD Although, I doubt they would pull some stuff like that.

It's possible in the same way that Sally Acorn or Sonia and Manic appearing are possible. It could happen, but it most likely won't. We really won't know until the game comes out, and even then this game's emphasis is on Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy. We likely wouldn't have other characters like Shadow appear until the next season/game.

And if he does, it won't necessarily be with his convoluted Ark back story. Sonic Boom is a spin-off that is given far more leniancy than last efforts, so there's no telling what we'll get.

Please, no Hedgehog Maria... xD; I actually quite liked that they got more humans- actually, more Robotniks- involved.

I'm very much in favor of them keeping Shadow's background, just not mentioning it much... if at all. You know, to make him more mysterious.

Giving him a different background would change the character entirely, and I hope they don't do that.

Also, I dread to see where they might go with that. Shadow has an implied connection to Sonic (the stone tablet in the ruins, where Gerald found the Gizoid), but nothing major... in contrast to Metal Sonic. I'm afraid they might just turn Shadow into yet another Sonic clone.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I guess it all depends on how they handle human characters in Sonic Boom.

Rouge won't be a difficult one, though. Let's face it, we don't know that much about her to begin with.

I actually think that Shadow should not have the same backstory, kind of like Knuckles.

This is a new franchise I want it to feel like something new, without betraying the original franchise.

So Shadow should be is normal self, but that doesn't mean he was created the same way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've not really been following any Boom updates, so forgive me if I'm wrong here, but I'm taking it Shadow hasn't actually been confirmed (or even hinted at) yet?

If that's the case, I highly doubt he will. For better or for worse, Shadow has always been one of the more 'serious' sides of the Sonic franchise. Every time the series has danced around the edge of 'too dark', he's not been far away. With the current direction both Boom and the series in general seem to be taking, it just seems like he'd feel pretty out of place.

Well, unless they just bring him in as a straight-up rival character I guess, without all the brooding and angst.

Well, there is mentioning of Eggman being head of the military, with his design looking more like a general than a scientist. So maybe they could bring in GUN.

But for ARK and Maria? I'm not sure. There's not really a lot we can fall back on to confirm or deny either one right now. They might use the ARK, but with the action comedy thing going on, they might not bother with Maria.

I've not really been following any Boom updates, so forgive me if I'm wrong here, but I'm taking it Shadow hasn't actually been confirmed (or even hinted at) yet?

If that's the case, I highly doubt he will. For better or for worse, Shadow has always been one of the more 'serious' sides of the Sonic franchise. Every time the series has danced around the edge of 'too dark', he's not been far away. With the current direction both Boom and the series in general seem to be taking, it just seems like he'd feel pretty out of place.

Well, unless they just bring him in as a straight-up rival character I guess, without all the brooding and angst.

Yes, Sonic Heroes and  Black Knight certainly were "too dark" in the series, what with Shadow being apart of it. Or other spin-offs like Battle and even Free Riders. And he was definitely out of place in Generations despite hardly doing much. rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry, but is it really that black and white for you that you stereotype Shadow for nothing other than dark plots? You can't bother to think of any way to make him more adaptable than that? We have Boom as a completely new and alternate direction that has as much (if not more) creative liberties as Archie Sonic, but whether he is confirmed or not, you can't see them taking advantage of that unknown territory for Shadow and rewriting him to be more flexible than that? Really?

I'm starting to wonder if people are actually trying anymore. We have medias and discussions of the characters that aren't around the edge of "too dark", that make the characters stand out and avoid stereotyping and bottlenecking them into specific stories, and recognize that the characters can be better utitlized and more flexible. Then a new media comes along and we go right back to square one as if all of that was forgotten and none of those discussions mean anything.

• Thumbs Up 3

Shadow, "too serious" and "unfitting" for Boom? Heh. On what assumptions?

Shadow's showed up in games galore, yes even the games you've deemed as "childish" and "kiddy". Seriously, the fact that Boom isn't going for an all-time high grimdark direction, does NOT weaken Shadow or any other character's chances of showing up in Boom.

Besides, that's a bit of any annoyingly overly Black and White stance, which appears to shill the notion of Shadow being "reserved" for what some fans hail as "serious".

• Thumbs Up 2

If Shadow appears, I would expect his backstory to be pretty heavily rewritten, yes.  How heavily depends on what they think of him as a character - for instance, whether they decide to actually develop him as a dark counterpart to Sonic or not.

As for ARK, GUN, and Maria, I see no reason why similar objects, organisations, and characters couldn't appear - but again, if they do, I would expect them to look quite different.  Boom is consciously new and independent; it's not an adaptation of the Modern series and is under no obligation to stick like glue to the Modern canon.  Even if Shadow is confirmed, for this game or any sequel - and Shadow strikes me as sequel hook material at best right now - then I would not hold any assumptions about what he or his backstory will end up being like.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think I should retract my "incredibly lazy" statement. Since this is an alternate universe and the some of the character's backgrounds will be rewritten and there's little info we know. If Shadow is going to appear, then there's no telling what kind of backstory they'll give him. Rouge? Well... since she already has a mysterious past and the things we do know about her being an agent of G.U.N. and a treasure hunter. They could easily make her a Treasure Hunter or something along those lines in the Sonic Boom universe.

I saw something up in the earlier replies. But is Shadow's backstory really that bad for some? I mean I know the Alien part, I don't like that. To be blunt, I hate that part but excluding that was his SA2 backstory really.. bad? 

I dunno I'm seriously just asking. I really just wanna know. In all seriousness, it is just a question.

I don't think people are saying that reusing his SA2 backstory would be bad or that it was bad to begin with.

But rather they're more open to what else or how else Shadow could be reinvented should he actually be a character in Boom while having it making sense within Boom's universe. This is meant to be a different continuity after all, so the possibility that they're probably not going to copy/paste everything from the main canon kind of makes people intrigued by how they can make a well-known, but kind of marmite character like Shadow be incorporated in whatever world they're trying to create within Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw something up in the earlier replies. But is Shadow's backstory really that bad for some? I mean I know the Alien part, I don't like that. To be blunt, I hate that part but excluding that was his SA2 backstory really.. bad? 

I dunno I'm seriously just asking. I really just wanna know. In all seriousness, it is just a question.

It's bad execution. G.U.N. shuts down the ARK for no stated reason, other than a line from the begging of the dark story where Eggman said "They shut it down because they feared it!", but that's really ambiguous; why would they fear what they commissioned Gerald to work on? How did Gerald know of the Master Emerald and the shrine? What was the purpose of these experiments on board the ARK? I know that Shadow was created to cure diseases, but the game itself doesn't let the player know that. The player also wouldn't know that Maria was dying from space-AIDS unless they read supplementary materials.

To sum it up, the game doesn't bother explaining the reasons behind it's elements, leaving a lot of un-answered questions.

It's bad execution. G.U.N. shuts down the ARK for no stated reason, other than a line from the begging of the dark story where Eggman said "They shut it down because they feared it!", but that's really ambiguous; why would they fear what they commissioned Gerald to work on? How did Gerald know of the Master Emerald and the shrine? What was the purpose of these experiments on board the ARK? I know that Shadow was created to cure diseases, but the game itself doesn't let the player know that. The player also wouldn't know that Maria was dying from space-AIDS unless they read supplementary materials.

To sum it up, the game doesn't bother explaining the reasons behind it's elements, leaving a lot of un-answered questions.

Makes sense.

I don't see too many people complaining about Shadow's backstory in SA2 because it was easy to follow and get behind. But they definitely complain about ShtH, because adding a bunch of things that ended making his backstory unnecessarily complicated and unneeded. And relating him to aliens was breaking the straw and that ruined his character for them. So no, I don't think the SA2 backstory is bad.

Edit: Never mind, Briraka the Guy explained it much better then I did.

Edited by Electro Pipe
  • Thumbs Up 1

I doubt that there will be an ARK or Maria appearing. But, I'd like to see how Shadow would work as GUN agent in Boom and the main series. Fairly certain that Shadow will appear in Boom, not sure about him appearing in the game maybe in future Boomverse games. But, in the cartoon think he'll appear in the first season or in the second season.

I hope GUN doesn't come back, personally.

The had a role in Shadow's creation (which really isn't well-explained within the games, but only makes sense when you really look into it- which is a bit of a shame), but ever since then, I think they've just been in the way.

Rouge working with GUN hasn't had a massive impact on her imo- it's just mentioned here and there. She's better off being just a treasure hunter.

And Shadow joining GUN never went well with his personality. I know he left his Past behind him, I know he made peace with the GUN commander (which is only mentioned very briefly in the final fight in ShTH), but what could he possibly gain from working with them?

I think Shadow will appear in Boom, in the long run. There is, after all, a solid fanbase out there. Controversial or not, I think the only way they could not put Shadow into Sonic Boom is if they plan to make him exclusive to the "original" series of games, which they claim they'll keep.

I hope GUN doesn't come back, personally.

The had a role in Shadow's creation (which really isn't well-explained within the games, but only makes sense when you really look into it- which is a bit of a shame), but ever since then, I think they've just been in the way.

Rouge working with GUN hasn't had a massive impact on her imo- it's just mentioned here and there. She's better off being just a treasure hunter.

And Shadow joining GUN never went well with his personality. I know he left his Past behind him, I know he made peace with the GUN commander (which is only mentioned very briefly in the final fight in ShTH), but what could he possibly gain from working with them?

Rouge has always worked with them...since her 1st appearance, Shadow doesn't gain anything from working with G.U.N. ... he works for them because its something to do, if not for G.U.N. being something of an actual reason he could show up, he'd have no reason to be around anymore since his entire thing is done, in which case he might as well have stayed dead.

For all we know, Shadow could be Sonic's long lost brother in this continuity.