Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Question #25: In what way(s) have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?

Hmm, well I'll be honest. Although I have made plenty of friends on SSMB, in real life I haven't really met a Sonic fan. I mean, I've made friends because I am a Sonic fan. Like, say I'm talking with someone and I mention Sonic. Ex "Woah look at that guy running like Sanic. Gotta go fast!" It usually ends in people cringing or laughing. I become friends with those who laugh, as I find those people have fond memories of the hedgehog. So, I guess I have made friends that are Sonic fans, just not as big as I am. I've honestly yet to find a fan that follows the series.

Well shit, this would strictly be an internet thing, since none of my IRL friends are fans of the series. Still, that doesn't mean that's a problem. I still treat you guys how I would treat any I actually know!

So, let's go back to the beginning. I first joined up in mid 2012, but I was way too shy to interact with anyone on here. Looking back, it seems really silly to be shy over something like that. You're all half way across the world from me! Anyway, it wasn't until just before Lost World's announcement that I decided to get out of my rut and start talking to people on here. And man, I'm glad I did.

Let's take a look back on some of my first fond memories on here...

f647409f6085d90bb6151b27c09854e2.png

It begins...

d07f717e1df2a47b2767fc34f1b6d1ae.png

And yes, I was quite the insufferable person, so excuse my "overly-enthusiastic" attitude at the time...

823ad3380998867ea76af9da86cdb823.png

Memories~

1871443c46f35423857d502359aaa746.png

I don't even...

After a whole night of fanfic reading, I seriously felt a lot more at home on SSMB. And I started talking to more people too. All the way from June to September was a hilarious time on here. The fun really began when I got into the main Skype chat and a few other chats with some other friends on here.

I'm not as vocal as I used to be these days, but I still really enjoy myself on this site, and I'd never change it for the world. You guys are all talented, funny, witty, and just downright fun to be around. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 25:

Well, when I was discussing a game in school ages and ages ago, someone overheard and joined in, been good friends ever since... But mainly here. Sonic Colours lead me here (But didn't join until after Generations... I kinda forgot...) And then discussions in Sonic Discussion made more friends, then Status Update even more so. Not forgetting Chit-Chat, but I guess that's not Sonic...

But yeah, mainly discussing games and others joining conversations or myself doing the same.

Day 25:

...Friends? Consistent friends? In this fanbase? That I don't hate?

Well, I have two, both of which I first became familiar with on the Sega Forums.

There's Flamerstreak here, we used to discuss level design concepts back on the Sega forums, but not recently, I dunno why.

And there's also BrutalAudino, but he doesn't have an account here.

I really don't have a good explanation for how I meet people in this fanbase. Usually it's along the lines of "I say something crazy or exaggerated and they react because it is similar to their opinion", or "I say something and they want to further discuss it without classic purists getting in the way", and so on and so forth.

At least, that's how I see it, they could see something completely different.

Day 25: Friends within the Sonic fanbase?

Ah, this is a bit of a difficult one. I haven't been at the SSMB long, and thus I'm quite an obscure fellow who hasn't made any proper friends here yet. That said, I try to keep on good terms with everybody and, in that sense, I class you all as friends. Never in my time within the Sonic fanbase have a met a group of people as friendly, witty, intelligent and interesting as the SSMB; from the debaters, to the statusers, to the info archaeologists finding stuff and even to those who only occasionally chime in on certain subjects. Need I mention the PD forum? That in itself is a testament to you all being not only great people, but great friends to those who need it. So yeah, I guess I'm friends with the whole SSMB? ...Is that allowed?

Outside of here, I made a few real close friends on an almost defunct Sonic message board -- they're loony, but supportive and awesome friends. Through that same message board, I stumbled across a dude who is now chief beta on my fanfic. We think on the same wavelength about so many things I'm thankful I even got to meet the guy; he's a superb person, a massive help and I don't think I'd have continued writing without him.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've never been very good at making friends on the internet. At the moment I only have three people I consider friends: Jet Prower, Ogilvie, and Sonikku/.

1871443c46f35423857d502359aaa746.png

My question still stands.

Sonic High School sure was a thing that happened, eh? Good times... XP

• Thumbs Up 3

IRL, my best friend and I are Sonic Fans. :D

As for online: I made friends with people on SonicSpot, a GameSpot Union (before the entire site got redesigned), GameFAQs, the SEGA Forums, here, YouTube, and Deviantart.

Whether we're discussing a new upcoming game, comic, cartoon, artwork, joining forces to figuring out Missions, Item Locations, and other information for a new Sonic Game, or just trying challenges such as this topic, I've met a lot of talented, fun, and intelligent people.

Wanted to go into more detail, but I'm busy at the moment…:P

Friends huh? Well I can't say I haven't gotten into some good discussions on this board and have come to befriend quite a few people as a result. Sinfulnoir, Crow, Jin, Soniko, Ed, Chooch all people I've really bonded with throughout my time on this board, and people I've come to really respect. Gotten into decent conversations with all of them.

On the site itself, I can't say that  I don't care about any of you to some extent. So here's to you SSMB.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some of the friends I've made here are actually people I previously met on SA.net, so I have known them for quite a long time! Kevin and Verte are the oldest members I know here on SSMB and we're good friends. Felix, Evilmoonguy and Jovah are more recent but nonetheless very good friends too! Then there's the ones I look up to or only speak to very occasionally like Sean, Super Soniko, Indigo Rush, Nep, Kiah, Akito and many more.

Another special one is a member who's fairly new here, but I've known him for even longer. My boyfriend, Kaabiitorori! That's right, that's my boyfriend on the forum! <3

But what can I say? The community here on SSMB is just brilliant and I'd never want to move to another forum. Not only is this place very welcoming and nice, but I love the discussions and the great moments we have on this forum. Well, most of the time it's great. Anyway, thanks you guys for making me feel so welcome here and you can bet I won't be leaving this community anytime soon! =D

• Thumbs Up 6

By joying this board of course smile.png

And I admit, it was a very good idea. I love this place, I love how it's administrated, I love its topics like the Member association, and I love the people that "live" here.

Whenever I check in, I feel myself in Paradise blush.png

I'm... Hesitant to label people as friends in case they don't feel the same.

People I'm friends with *because* of the Sonic fanbase... I'd say Azoo is certainly one, as is Silva. Mostly due to our time as part of Team Freerunner. Whatever happened to that, anyway...?

I'd also call Jez a friend, and Soniko too, for their support in art. Jez being a great encourager and Soniko for their frank honesty.

And even though we don't speak much, I like to think Inferno and Cola are friends too.

I love all of you guys!

Hell, even Mando. Give me a hug, you daft Fang fan, you.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question #25: In what way(s) have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?

An SSMB member outbid me on some STC issues a few years ago, and now he's my boyfriend.

I had reached the point where I was just missing a couple of free gifts and some specials to complete my collection, and I had been slapping some high bids on stuff when it popped up because I was getting desperate to get a hold of the stuff I was missing. An eBay member was selling off their collection at the time and had been listing a lot of issues that were in mint condition with the free gifts, including these two...

DWEvYyD.jpg

I'd won all of their other listings and noticed the prices were starting to creep up on the few that were left, and realised that someone else must have really wanted them too. So I put some higher bids on those issues assuming that no one else would be daft or desperate enough to bid more than I had... ... .. yeah I was wrong...

Whilst I'm still not the most active poster on SSMB, at that point I was even more of a lurker and I doubt anyone would have noticed me around too much as I didn't post or comment on stuff that often. After those auctions ended, I came on here to browse around as usual and noticed that another member had posted a status update along the lines of "Oh christ, why did I just spend £30 on two issues of STC?!" and I remember thinking... "Oh so that's the bastard who's been outbidding me" and ended up leaving a comment on his status making a joke about it... even though I was actually quite annoyed at the time. laugh.png

The seller listed some more issues on eBay after that, and me and the other person added each other on MSN so we could talk about them and come to some sort of arrangement rather than pushing the prices up for each other again.

Afterwards we just kept talking to each other as we had a lot of stuff in common, and he ended up becoming my best friend and is now my boyfriend. Eventually got to meet up with him over an SoS weekend and we got along just as well in person as we did online, and it's sort of surreal to think that we might have never started talking to each other if it hadn't been for those auctions.

Oh yeah, and I eventually got the free gifts and didn't have to pay anywhere near as much since no one else bid against me. Woo. tongue.png

I've also made a number of other awesome friends during my 15 or so years in the online Sonic fanbase and would love to mention them all in this post, but it's getting long enough as it is. Shoutouts to

-Mark-, JezMM and Kevin for being some of the best ones though. smile.png It's actually quite terrifying to think how different my life would be if it wasn't for Sonic as I've met all the people I consider close friends due to the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm... Hesitant to label people as friends in case they don't feel the same.

People I'm friends with *because* of the Sonic fanbase... I'd say Azoo is certainly one, as is Silva. Mostly due to our time as part of Team Freerunner. Whatever happened to that, anyway...?

I'll PM you about it. Just for the sake of leaving everyone else guessing. :y

ohgodthisbecamethefirstonthenewpageLMAO

• Thumbs Up 1

Time to gush a little I guess.

I never really had many friends that were into Sonic IRL, I mean, yeah, sure, they certainly had heard of him, and they'd have played most of his games when they were younger, but I never met any through Sonic. So, looks like I'll need to look elsewhere, try to find those that I'd now consider friends. But...friends you've never met? How preposterous! (Although...fingers crossed I'll meet some of you if I make it to the Summer of Sonic this year.)

Let me open by doing some blanket coverage, this site is so friendly, everyone here seems very approachable, which is fantastic. I'd love to interact with you all so much more, but there's only so much time, it's hard! I consider many of you acquaintances, people I'd happily chat to, people I want to get to know more. So, now that's out the way, it's time to mention some stand out people, in no particular order.

When I first joined this place, one of the people I interacted with first was Mr 30 Days Himself, Crusher, and I'd consider him a friend, although we don't interact as much as we once did. A shame, and something I aim to change. Cake, oh Cake, I've known you since I joined, and we've interacted on a nearly daily basis in the Skype chat, a real grade A guy.

Also in the Skype chat we have the regulars of Chibi, someone who is honestly the best sport in the world, I love interacting with this guy. Endy, who really needs to realize a bunch of people like her, and that she's a genuinely smart and nice, if a little grumpy sometimes (that's one of her charms). BRRRRAAAAD! Me and Brad used to interact occasionally in the statuses, but since joining the Skype chat, I've got to talk to him much more, and he's great, really very funny, I'm happy he's around as much as he is. The rest of you in the various Skype chats are great, don't forget that!

I made a friend in both Winston and Haden, even having a brief stint on their Friends Play channel (I'll return...one day...), an experience I'm genuinely grateful for. We don't interact much now, but I, again, aim to change this.

EDIT: Nearly forgot, a new friend I've made in the last month, Apollo/Boma whatever you want me to call you, I don't know how I managed to miss you before, but you're a pretty great guy.

Well, that's it. If I didn't mention you I'm so sorry. Know that if you're on my friends list, you're good with me...actually, hell, if you're on this site, you're good with me.

(I sat at this for about 5 hours...even though it was relatively simple)

• Thumbs Up 5

Growing up, I didn't make friends because of Sonic. All my friends liked Sonic anyway!

That aside, my only interactions with the Sonic community is this place, and Summer of Sonic. I never have been for instant messaging and chatrooms, which may make me seem detached, but I do honestly enjoy reading everyone's posts and I do feel like I know a lot of you guys.

At Summer of Sonic 2011, I got chatting to the guy next to me in the queue, and we got on so well that we hung out for the rest of the day, as well as SoS 2012 and 2013. I have also struck up a few conversations with SSMB members and other random Sonic fans over the years at SoS, because everyone is just so gosh-darned friendly there. I also have fond memories of chatting to people on the train journeys there and back.

It has occurred to me that a couple of weeks ago I passed my 10 year anniversary of joining this place. Time bloody flies (either that or I'm wasting my life...)

Day 25: Any friends you made through your fandom of Sonic?

Well, if Sonic Stadium's message board counts, I do believe I've made a few people I've been having regular contact with who I can call friends, such as Kiah, Soni, Mysterion, and dare I say Verte?

inbe4theyallrebuffmyclaimsofcallingthemfriends.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 25: Ways That I Have Made Friends Within the Sonic Fanbase:

At first I was just excited to meet other people who loved sonic as much as I did. Then I actually met you guys and realized how much better friends are than just random people who happen to like the same stuff. I also realized Sonic sucks and nobody here really likes him anymore. And now we all just hang out here and talk, (just not about that loser Sonic.)

Also you guys are massive nerds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #25: In what ways have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?

Eh, I think I'm gonna mention this one dude I used to play games with.

To tell the truth, this was more a case about video games as a whole, not only Sonic, but whatever.

When I was like 7 or 8, during Summer break, I met this dude who spent most of his days at his grandparent's house which was in the same apartment as my grandma's.

Our friendship kinda started when I was playing my Gameboy and he saw me and asked what I was doing. After that day he would call me everyday so we could play video games together.

Our biggest passion was Pokémon, we played it every single day, but sometimes we would play other stuff like Rayman Advance and this one game called Sonic Advance.

I think that my interest for the Sonic franchise returned thanks to him. Before I only owned Sonic Advance, but as time went by, I bought all the Sonic games available on the PS2 and so did him.

I still remember that all-nighter getting all the Emeralds in Heroes so we could unlock the final boss.

xdROesg.png

Unfortunately we aren't friends anymore. He started hanging with the wrong crowds and we stopped talking to each other years ago. I still see him some days and he seems better now, but eh, both me and him went on with our lives.

Day 25: Friends thanks to Sonic!

Well needless to say that my bestfriend in High School  was all because of Sonic, I had some sonic pictures stuck to my folder and he noticed them. one thing led to another and we became friends, that was a good few years ago now, about 8 or so I think! and we still communicate as much as we can although we both have lots of things going on at the moment.

Also I can remember a lot of friends I had made in the RP section of the old SSMB. Members like Kishon the Fox and Projectsonic used to hang around there a lot. We had a LOT of fun during the christmas RP one year. it's a real shame, since the forum wipe and the secondary Soniclans website went down I havent seen them around at all.

Also one of my newer friends at college now is a friend because we got into a discussion about Sonic (unfortunately Sonic 06).

Well i've been trying to be more active around the forums and become more noticeable and recognizable, so while I don't have any close friends on the forum yet i'm hoping I will develop some over time :)

Day 25

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I can exactly say I've made any "friends" as such. I like 99% of people here and have no problems with engaging in conversations around the forum and making jokes in topics and on the status updates. I just haven't really had extended conversation with anyone outside of occasional PM though certainly I'm all for it. So can't say friends, acquaintances is too harsh, you are my... very friendly associates, yes quite.