Awoo.

The "Weird Al" Yankovic Topic

DocAzure

He's pretty good, I like his stuff. But holy shit this thing will never get out of my goddamned head:

WHY IS IT SO GODDAMNED CATCHY?! ;A;

• Thumbs Up 1

The big question is...

Classic Al or Modern Al??

weirdal.jpg

full__22Weird_Al_22_Yankovic.JPG

I'll go for WRECK GAR AL

360px-Wreck-garanimatedpoint.jpg

Dare to be Stupid! (I mean who cannot like a song that is both a parody, AND was in the Transformers movie XD

The big question is...

Classic Al or Modern Al??

If you ask me, all Al is best Al. Though if we're talking strictly which of his goofy appearances I prefer, it's classic Al, if only because I miss the glasses a little.

I don't know about ya'll, but these two songs are some of the best Weird Al has done in the past decade. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGO0a7OPtg

• Thumbs Up 2

Love this guy. So many subpar songs salvaged, so many great songs made hilarious. One of the few comedy acts in the music scene I still give respect for, even excusing the toilet humor :P

WHY IS IT SO GODDAMNED CATCHY?! ;A;

Parodying They Might Be Giants will do that.

I used to be obsessed with Al when I was about 15, had quite a few of his albums and listened to him nearly everyday, had his music video collection on DVD and his movie...these days though....I dunno I still like him, I just don't love him...

I've always preferred his original songs over his parodies, songs like Dare to be Stupid, Everything You Know is Wrong or Albuquerque....while I still enjoy the odd parody I don't think they hold up half as well as the originals.

EDIT: Here's some proof of my younger self's Weird Al obsession....I have fan art on Weird Al's website.

http://weirdal.com/fanart334.htm

jakehainey.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Weird Al with the burning passion of a thousand suns.  Even though I know I was exposed to him much earlier, the first song I heard ABOUT him was his parody of Avril Lavigne's Complicated.  ("A Complicated Story.")  However, because the person who introduced me to the song (without actually showing me it because it was before YouTube) was... well, into some weird stuff let's just say.  I wanted to avoid anything relating to him.

But then I saw the song he did for the movie Spy Hard.  (By the way, if you came in late, allow me to reiterate.  The name of the movie is Spy Hard.  They called it Spy Hard.  It's the theme from Spy Hard.)  And then it went from that to "ebay" (parody of Backstreet Boys' I Want it That Way), then to Trapped in the Drive-Thru, then to I'll Sue Ya, then I just became an addict and now I'm selling all my organs to get whatever monstrosity he comes out with next.

Someone please help me.

Someone please help me.

Nothing's gonna save you from right-minded sanity, 'kito.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to listen to Weird Al's stuff all the time back in middle school, but sort of lost interest in his work for whatever reason. My two favorite songs by him back in the day had to be White and Nerdy and The Saga Begins.

Thought about getting back into his music, anyone have any recommendations as to where I should start?

Thought about getting back into his music, anyone have any recommendations as to where I should start?

Not much has really started since then, so you shouldn't be too baffled by any of his more recent creations.  His latest album, Alpocalypse, is really good, so if you want something with lots of currently relevant and also hilarious parodies and really funny original songs, I'd give that a try. ^^

Alpolkalypse is pretty good. 'Perform This Way' and 'Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me' are my personal favorites from it. 'TMZ' and 'Party in the CIA' are great as well.

• 11 months later...

Here is the literal version of the Goof Off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_uLhv7KfGg