Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - April 8 [11PM BST / 6PM EST]

Carbo

My god, Mega Man's final smash is so fucking awesome. That shit is the shit.

Charizard and Greninja look great- the confirmation of the latter does seem to correspond (vaguely) with the second Salromano leak that suggested there would be an X and Y Pokemon.

Also, it's kinda the last leak standing at this point after the megatons. 

Sakurai trolled everyone in this direct, even Iwata.

7MTZIYb.gif

I'm half-worried that expression is genuine because of his reported arm pain :V. 

I think the sudden need to fill in the gap of some grass starter is something people are just cooking up and won't happen lawl. They just choose an extremely popular old Pokemon, and Greninja is a good choice for a new Pokemon character that reps the current gen of Pokemon is all *shrugs*. As much as I love Treecko and Sceptile, I highly doubt it's even in smash as a Pokeball Pokemon, let alone playable character, but that's just me.

Well I'm not really expecting Ridley, but seeing "his" shadow there, made it clear it's him, but Sakurai made it so that we couldn't even see him, kinda suspicious if you ask me. 

Also we got some pretty sweet FS this time around, Sacred Treasures looks overkill, Megamen is godly, and we got Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard, still not sure if that last one is a buff with a "skin" or an actual move.

Speaking of pokemon, why is everyone saying that jigglypuff and mewtwo aren't in because greninja and charizard are in? Brawl technically had 5 pokemon reps (it still counts even if 3 of them were on one character) so why is 3 suddenly the max here.

So to talk about the actual content, I'm really liking that the devs are toning down the more random elements of the game and basically letting players have their cake and eat too, keeping things wacky and hectic, but not to the point that it gets in the way.

The FD-styled stages is a good idea, but I'm not to keen on them also removing all platforms and essentially making them reskins of Final Destination. It would've been enough to simply remove stage hazards, but at the end of the day, It's more than a welcome addition.

Now that I think about it, when Lucario was first announced for SSBB Diamond and Pearl had only just come out that year (2007) in the US and Europe and he was already very popular back then. I think Greninja is a similar case; a very popular Pokemon from a recent installment of the series is a playable character in the newest Smash Bros.

Definitely popularity reasons, just like Lucario! And I don't mind. 8D

The FD-styled stages is a good idea, but I'm not to keen on them also removing all platforms and essentially making them reskins of Final Destination. It would've been enough to simply remove stage hazards, but at the end of the day, It's more than a welcome addition.

Yeah, gotta agree to a extent. I'm fine with them removing platforms and everything, but honestly some of the versions of the stages just look..."off." Like the Mario Galaxy FD stage. Something really seems off about it, and it bothers me.

I don't think Ridley is out. That's probably Meta Ridley, and Ridley himself is playable. He wouldn't leave Ridley out yet AGAIN.

First off, yes he would.

Second, I'm pretty sure it's Other M Ridley that we see. For one thing, it's an Other M stage. And Other M both has his most recent design and is the game Samus is taking her design from. But also, we do see just a bit of Ridley in that shot: (large)

5oku5OJ.png

That appears to be his tail, which is white and swordlike in his Other M design: (also large)

jyHN4B0.jpg

Whereas Meta Ridley's is black and spear-shaped: (blasphemously not-large)

nbdiQfB.jpg

Nintendoga's hyped had increased by 10x fold when he learned that the 3DS version was coming out in three months.

He even figured with the 3DS having some more similarities to Melee, it would be the more definitive version and he wouldn't even need to buy the Wii-U version.

But it was at this moment

iMRVRIauxHrA1.gif

When he realized Super Smash Bros. for Wii-U would be his GOTY.

• Thumbs Up 8

Well I'm not really expecting Ridley, but seeing "his" shadow there, made it clear it's him, but Sakurai made it so that we couldn't even see him, kinda suspicious if you ask me. 

Also we got some pretty sweet FS this time around, Sacred Treasures looks overkill, Megamen is godly, and we got Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard, still not sure if that last one is a buff with a "skin" or an actual move.

This is my whole point. Sakurai refuses to actually SHOW Ridley. He keeps trolling us about it instead, showing off Ridley's shadow or something else. That's why I still think Ridley is playable and Sakurai is just teasing until he officially reveals Ridley. Notice how they trolled Palutena, as well, showing off that... Pseudo Palutena trophy or whatever the hell that was?

He's just playing with fans' expectations. Palutena was "leaked" supposedly, so he keeps teasing by posting things Palutena-related without actually showing her. Same with Ridley, he still hasn't shown Ridley physically at all.

That said I'm not a major Metroid fan, in fact I barely played Metroid at all. I just think Ridley is probably going to be playable, that's all.

First off, yes he would.

Second, I'm pretty sure it's Other M Ridley that we see. For one thing, it's an Other M stage. And Other M both has his most recent design and is the game Samus is taking her design from. But also, we do see just a bit of Ridley in that shot: (large)

That appears to be his tail, which is white and swordlike in his Other M design: (also large)

Whereas Meta Ridley's is black and spear-shaped: (blasphemously not-large)

Fine, but I still don't understand why Sakurai keeps trolling Ridley fans rather than just come out and admit Ridley's not playable.

• Thumbs Up 2

The way Ridley animated in the trailer, or at least going by his shadow, was more like a character than a set-piece. So yeah Ridley's most likely a fighter and they're saving him to wreck the competition at E3

-snip-

To back this up, here's another image of Other M Ridley and his tail. 

1024px-Geothermal_power_plant_vs_ridley_

Not the same exact model but that looks like it more or less. 

I mean I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but I'm pretty sure Ridley is a boss. Actually, I'm betting Ridley is a boss. Not sure what else this could imply. 

Fine, but I still don't understand why Sakurai keeps trolling Ridley fans rather than just come out and admit Ridley's not playable.

You make it sound like Sakurai deliberately wants to disappoint fans. 

I was prepared to wait for winter for the Wii U version but there's no way I'm missing out on the 3DS version in Summer. I kinda wanted my first experience of the game to be on the definitive edition, but fuck, there's no way I'm waiting that long.

I guess we'll know the rest of the cast in just a few months. This direct was amazing. Greninja was my starting Pokemon in X and Y, and Charizard is my favorite. I'm also happy about the City Trial mode, the online play, and the fact that they're not going out of their way to snub competitive players.

Also the Mega Man Final Smash, god damn. I feel like a kid for getting this excited.

So yeah Ridley's most likely a fighter

*weeps for the future of humanity*
  • Thumbs Up 9

Oh man, that direct was so hype! That Greninja, that Smash Run mode, that SUMMER RELEASE DATE FOR 3DS (provided it doesn't get delayed) and THAT MEGAMAN FINAL SMASH!!

13726008703_fe531d549b_o.gif

I'M SO FUCKING HYPED SMASH 4 BOTH VERSIONS GOTY 2014

• Thumbs Up 1

This game man. It literally took both KH3 and 2.5 for me, glove slapped them both in the face, and then unexpectedly punched them both in the balls.

I want this so bad! I might just get a Wii U when I get back first to get in on the fun, and then get KHIII.(Hopefully that game is delayed to 2017 by that point, along with the PS4 price dropping to a more reasonable price.)

Gah, this game just looks so...GAH!

• Thumbs Up 1

To back this up, here's another image of Other M Ridley and his tail. 

1024px-Geothermal_power_plant_vs_ridley_

Not the same exact model but that looks like it more or less. 

I mean I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but I'm pretty sure Ridley is a boss. Actually, I'm betting Ridley is a boss. Not sure what else this could imply. 

You make it sound like Sakurai deliberately wants to disappoint fans. 

Not trying to imply that, Sakurai likes having fun with things. He's not trying to disappoint them. Constantly teasing one way or the other that Ridley may or may not be playable rather than outright saying it, then eventually announcing he's not would be far more disappointing than just saying here and now that he's a boss.

I'd really like Sakurai just to go and post a Pic of the Day saying "Ridley's a boss" / "stage hazard" and be done with it, really.

Alrighty the ultimate summary of ultimate destiny!  This will be a big one!

- Release dates confirmed.  3DS version Summer 2014/WiiU version Winter 2014

- 3DS version confirmed to run at 60 FPS even in full 3D.  Characters and stages run at 60, whilst additional elements such as ATs and Pokeballs run at 30.

- 3DS gets 2 musical tracks per stage (sort of like Melee).  WiiU gets the MyMusic option from Brawl.

- New 3DS stages

Balloon Fight (a 2D stage with various platforms and flippers similar in look to 75m or Mario Bros in Brawl)

Jungle Japes (returning from Melee/Brawl)

- New WiiU stages:

Palutena's Temple (a very large stage not too dissimilar to Hyrule Temple from Melee split into various sections)

Halberd (returning from Brawl)

Final Destination (most similar to the Brawl FD but with a crazy almost new background and general motif)

- Additional stage info:

Reset Bomb Forest - as the reset bomb goes off the stage collapses into a new structure

Spirit Train - Scrolling stage in a very similar vain to Big Blue from Melee.  If you fall off the train onto the ground you will drop back

Gerudo Valley - Bridge in the centre can be split if attacked.  The Twinrova sisters also come to attack with fire and ice on the edges of the stage.

Arena Ferox - Shape shifting stage.  Various platform elements rise out the ground as the time goes on (kind of like Pokemon Stadium).

Pyrosphere - Ridley/Meta Ridley sneakily confirmed as a stage hazard.  We've no idea of his function or even what he'll look like due to only seeing his shadow, but it's definitely Ridley or Meta Ridley.

Wily's Castle - Yellow Devil appears from the background to attack fighters.  It can only be hurt by attacking its eye but the player who defeats him is awarded with an explosion that damages all the other fighters.

- Online multiplayer featured in both versions of the game

- WiiU version introduces 2 key modes of online play: For Fun and For Glory.

- In For Fun mode, stages are random (not including Final Destination), all items are on and the only data recorded is the victory count (so no win/loss ratio).  

- In For Glory mode, only stage is Final Destination, there are no items, 1 v 1 battles are possible and both wins and losses are recorded.

- To compliment this, there are now Final Destination versions of every stage

- Confirmation of scoring competition called Global Smash Power.  This gives players certain scores depending on how they've scored on Solo modes.

- New Items:

Beam Sword (returns with a fresh new design)

Smart Bomb (returns same as before)

POW Block (launches foes when hit on when thrown into the ground)

Fire Bar (a beam sword like fire weapon that reduces in reach for each attack you do)

Back Shield (protects yo ass from cheap shots)

Bombchu (a bomb able to scurry along floors, walls and ceilings)

Rocket Belt (allows flight much like ROB's Up B in Brawl, presumably has a set amount of fuel)

- Additional Item info:

Ore Club (forms tornadoes when using Smash attacks)

X Bomb (the X shaped explosion formed attacks both diagonally and horizontally/vertically and looks to slowly rotate as well)

Hocatate Bomb (rises up and drags foes up before crashing down and exploding)

Steel Diver (releases a small torpedo not unlike Samus' Super Missile)       

- New Assist Trophies:

Devil (returning with the same function)

Knuckle Joe (returning with the same function)

Saki Amamiya (returning with the same function)

Lyn (returning with the same function)

Dr Wright (returning with the same function)

Midna (can teleport and attack with the hand that emerges from her head)

Dark Samus (uses various attacks such as a rapid fire Phazon shot and Phazon tentacles that emerge in the ground around her)

Chain Chomp (looks at the nearest fighter and tries to chomp at them)

Elec Man (runs around and uses his Thunder Beam attack)

Color TV-Game 15 (Pong.  Need I say more?)

- Additional Assist Trophy info:

Skull Kid (flips the screen much like Palkia in Spear Pillar in Brawl)

Ashley (creates a purple cloud of energy that causes negative effects on fighters such as being slowed down)

Isabelle (produces various food items that presumably heal whoever summoned her even whilst they're being attacked/are attacking)

- Pokeball/Pokemon info:

The Master Ball is now a new rare type of Pokeball that contains exclusively powerful legendary Pokemon such as Arceus

Arceus (periodically releases a Judgment shockwave able to meteor smash foes)

Meowth (returning with same function)

Electrode (returning with same function)

Eevee (runs into foes and tackles them whilst looking adorable)

Staryu (returning with same function)

Metagross (returning with same function)

Fennekin (shoots small fireball projectiles that form multi-hit fire pillars [think Ness' PK Fire])

Meloetta (shoots musical note sphere projectiles able to bounce off surfaces)

Gogoat (charges forward, but most interestingly fighters are able to stand on top of it)

Deoxys-A (returning with same function)

Palkia (slashes with Spacial Rend, twisting the screen upside down)

Kyurem (releases a horizontal Blizzard that freezes foes)

Victini (appears, produces a star graphic and leaves.  Likely to be similar to Mew/Jirachi/Celebi from Brawl where it drops goodies)

Keldeo-R (slashes foes in an arc with its Sacred Sword attack)

Xerneas (uses its Geomancy.  Effects unknown as of now)

- Revealed Fighters Info/Observations:

Samus - several new attack animations to better fit her Other M aesthetic such as Super Missile, FTilt and BAir.  Her Final Smash, Zero Laser, is now a full screen beam like Lucario's was in Brawl however it does not make her transform into ZSS.

Zelda - can no longer transform into Sheik.  As a result her Down B has now been replaced with the Phantom Slash.  This summons a Phantom to slash the opponents upwards.  The Phantom also has its own hurtbox and as a result is able to absorb an attack/s.  However, they can be reflected

Kirby - Side B now revamped.  Can be charged much like Dedede's Down B to produce a powerful fiery hammer attack known as the Hammer Flip.  Again like Dedede Kirby is able to walk and jump whilst charging this.  Also has a new Final Smash, the Ultra Sword from Kirby Returns to Dreamland.  Kirby pulls out a giant sword and when it makes contact Kirby unleashes a powerful sword combo (similar to Ike's FS Great Aether but it doesn't move the foe to the top of the screen).

Dedede - Side B is now changed to strictly the Gordo which he now hits with his hammer as opposed to throwing them.  They're stronger than the Waddle Dees in Brawl but not as strong as the Brawl Gordos.  Additionally they bounce off of foes as opposed to disappearing on contact.  These can also be hit fairly quickly, however opponents can kick the Gordos back to Dedede and hurt him.

Lucario - Now has his Mega Evolution (presumably as a Final Smash) which transforms him such that his attacks are always at his maximum power for the duration of the transformation.

OlimarCan now only hold 3 Pikmin at a time, however the Pikmin appear in a set order (Red > Blue > Yellow > White > Purple).  This allows players to better micro manage the Pikmin, however also means that Olimar must be more careful with how he uses them.  Additionally his Up B has been changed to the Winged Pikmin.  These are able to carry Olimar and his Pikmin upwards, however the more Pikmin he has the less far it goes, so Olimar may at times need to sacrifice is Pikmin to get back onto the stage.

PitNo longer has his gliding mechanic.  Pit has various brand new attacking animations (pretty much all of them have been either revamped or are brand new attacks entirely).  His Up B has been changed to the Power of Flight, a presumably multidirectional glide.  Pit's Neutral B arrows also no longer have infinite range.  His new Final Smash is the Three Sacred Treasures, allowing him to fire off a barrage of various projectiles.

Bowser - Now has a stall and fall DAir where he drops down with his shell facing downwards.  Generally seems faster (his aerial mobility and dodges all seem faster for example) and is packed with new attacks and animations.

Link - New backwards flip dodge more similar to how he dodges back in the 3D LoZ games, as well as his signature jumping slash as his new Dash Attack.  A couple of other attack animations were adjusted as well, such as his UAir.

DK - Adjusted Side B and Up B animations.  Up B most notably on the ground is angled slightly forward.  He also does some kind of roll at the end, though it doesn't have the graphics of an attack nor the invincibility of a dodge.

Diddy Kong - New UTilt/USmash uppercut attack.

Marth - A few adjusted animations and attacks, most notably his Side B Dancing Blade animations have been changed.  His sword trail is also more fabulous...

Sonic - His DAir is now a meteor smash (at least at the start of the kick). 

Rosalina and Luma - Rosalina can send off her Luma at varying distances with Luma Shot (assuming Neutral B).  When the Luma is sent out it wanders on its own but Rosalina is able to control its attacks.  Confirmed Star Bits Side B, which causes the Luma to fire an array of small short range Star Bit projectiles.  Confirmed Launch Star Up B, which travels a long distance in an arc.  Confirmed Gravitational Pull Down B, which attracts items in towards her and nullifies various projectiles.

Little Mac - Mac's ground attacks are both fast and powerful.  His DTilt is a quick low jab which is able to launch opponents with low knockback.  Has low endlag so is ideal for follow-ups.  Very powerful Smash attacks ideal for scoring kills.  DSmash animation show as two low hooks that hit either side of Mac.  However he's very weak in the air, such that the damage/knockback of his aerials is actually weaker than his ground attacks.  His Power Metre is charged by landing and receiving damage.  Confirmed Straight Lunge Neutral B which lunges forward and can be charged for additional power and distance.  This transforms into the K.O. Uppercut when Mac's Power Metre is full.  Confirmed Jolt Haymaker Side B where Mac leaps forward with an arcing punch that has startup invulnerability for approaches.  Confirmed Rising Uppercut Side B, which whilst rather poor in terms of recovery is powerful in terms of knockback and damage.  Confirmed Slip Counter Down B which functions as a pretty conventional counter.  Final Smash Giga Mac which transforms him presumably into a stronger but slower version of himself.  Finally, he also has the classic Wireframe version of himself from the original arcade version of Punch Out!!

Villager - Confirmed names for all specials: Pocket (Neutral B where he pockets an item or projectile for later use), Lloid Rocket (Side B where he is able to fly on the back of a Lloid Rocket as well as launch it independently), Balloon Trip (Up B where he can fly up high with balloons with good maneuverability but the balloons can be popped) and Timber (Down B where he plants a seed into the ground, waters it into a tree and then is able to cut it down for a powerful attack).  Confirmed Dream Home Final Smash, however where a house is built for the Villager only for it to blow up short thereafter (presumably because Villager couldn't handle the debt bestowed upon him by that ass Tom Nook).

MegamanAll attacks confirmed with names and games to match.  Jab/FTilt/NAir: Mega Buster (1).  DTilt: Sliding (3).  UTilt: Mega Upper (MvC).  Dash Attack: Top Spin (3/Top Man).  FSmash: Charge Shot (4).  USmash: Spark Shock (3/Spark Man).  DSmash: Flame Burst (6/Flame Man).  FAir: Flame Sword (8/Sword Man).  BAir: Slash Claw (7/Slash Man).  UAir: Air Shooter (2/Air Man).  DAir: Hard Knuckle (3/Hard Man).  Grab/Throws: Super Arm (1/Guts Man).  Neutral B: Metal Blade (2/Metal Man).  Side B: Crash Bomber (2/Crash Man).  Up B: Rush Coil (3).  Down B: Leaf Shield (2/Wood Man).  Confirmed Co Stars Final Smash where all the other Megamans (X, EXE, Starforce and Volnutt) appear alongside Classic for a powerful combined attack.

Wii Fit Trainer - Confirmed Deep Breathing Down B which takes a second to charge but afterwards briefly increases the power of her attacks.  For how long however remains unknown and presumably requires some kind of timing and input as the Male one is shown failing the move.  Confirmed Sun Salutation Neutral B, a light based projectile attack that can be charged and stored.  Like other chargeable projectiles it can be cancelled into shield or roll.  Male version confirmed for alternate costume.

Special moves can now be customised for custom movesets.  To the extent is unknown and this feature is only available against friends.

- Revealed Smash Run mode exclusive to 3DS version.  In short, this mode is very similar to the Kirby Air Ride City Trail, where up to 4 players collect items to power themselves up in a dungeon like map featuring a plethora of enemies ranging from Nintendo titles and the Subspace Emissary from Brawl within a time limit of 5 minutes.  They can power up in movement speed, jump height, attack power, special attack power, item and projectile power and resistance to being knocked away (presumably weight).  When the time runs out the powered up fighters proceed to battle.  Even includes certain events much like City Trail that pop up from time to time during the time limit.

NEW REVEALED CHARACTERS

Zero Suit Samus - returns from Brawl looking fiiiiiine.  Most notable new feature is her new jet boots, allowing her to hit harder than ever whilst retaining her speed and mobility.  As a result various animations have been remade to offer a greater sense of strength and power (such as FAir and BAir).  She also looks to have a new Up B attack that's an upward sky kick as opposed to her whip that helps to improve her overall recovery.  This can be followed up with an additional kick.

Sheik - returns from Brawl with polished attack animations that looks swifter and stronger.  Most notably however are her two new special moves, the Side B Burst Grenade and the Down B Bouncing Fish.  The Burst Grenade is a short reach grenade that explode when the pin is released (presumably requiring an input to do so).  The Bouncing Fish is an acrobatic flip kick able to bounce off of foes that could also possibly be used to assist recovery.
     Yoshi - returns from Brawl even more adorable.  Adopts a more upright posture to reflect more recent games.  His jab combo has been reanimated (the second kick is now a roundhouse as opposed to a front kick).  BAir now only deals three hits (as opposed to 4 in Melee and Brawl) and the final hit is stronger.  Generally looks like he has more reach on a number of his attacks.
     Charizard - the semi-newcomer.  No longer tied to his trainer and now roaming the world by himself.  The most immediate and obvious change (apart from being a solo character) is his new Mega Evolution Mega Charizard X, which one could assume to be his Final Smash that powers him up in some kind of way (the only notable thing we see is flight).  He also has a new slashing FAir attack, a new BThrow animation and a horizontal fiery charging attack.  This could be one of two things: 1) His Up B can now be aimed sideways or 2) He has a new Side B in the form of Flare Blitz (or something along those lines).  We also know he no longer as his glide as he did in Brawl so this cannot be a glide attack.
     GRENINJA *NEWCOMER* - ....I plan to save Greninja's analysis for another time.  He requires a much larger one and deserves his own like I've done with the other newcomers, therefore I'll reserve him for a separate post and a video at a later stage.

WOW that took long.  The hype is SO REAL RIGHT NOW!
  • Thumbs Up 3

I should mention Sakurai didn't say all stages would have Final Destination versions. He said almost all of them will, so I'm sure there will be some exceptions.

main.png

Alright! glad to see my main of mains back in action, baby! Was never worried of him being cut, (duh.) I'm so glad to see him again! He looks great, and I'm glad to see that he had some thought put into him by the developers. The fact that he stands up straight is nice, but he already did that in brawl. Sakurai didn't really go to deep to why Yoshi's stance change is such of a big deal, but it does seem like he's confident about the changes. If he was willing to save Yoshi's reveal because of this, then Yoshi must had some noticeable changes related to this. Either way, if he just ends up playing similar to how he's always been, I'm fine with that, too. One thing that I notice was Yoshi's Egg lay move. I wonder if opponents can still break out of it, since Mario didn't seem to try at all once he was eaten.

Anyway, this conference was pretty great, overall. A good amount of info was revealed, and I left feeling very satisfied. The character changes seem interesting, the Online info was great, Sakurai goofing around with the trophies was entertaining and I can definitely say that I'm jumping on the 3DS version first with it being released much eariler than the Wii U version. And even though that awesome Smash run mode is an 3DS exclusive, that doesn't mean that the Wii U version won't have something to make up for it. Winter is still quite a bit away, folks. And I'm sure there's still plenty in Smash Bros. for Sakurai to talk about.

I'm cool with Charizard going solo, but I'm definitely interested in giving Greninja a whirl. Given, I'm not much of a Pokemon fan, so I don't know much about him, but I'll gladly try him out anyway. (My lack of interest in the Pokemon franchise didn't stop me from having lucario as one of my mains in Brawl, so I doubt it will stop me here.)

Nice list of info, though there is another mistake, Palutena's Temple is NOT new. We've seen it a couple of times already, but it is the first time we've seen the whole stage. That platforming pic with the springs as well as the pic of Palutena's statue were both based on Palutena's Temple.

Not Mewtwo Greninja looks amazing and awesome and might be a main of mine, but I swear if we get any more Pokemon filling up the roster I will explode three times and plant my remains in the depths of the ocean.

I get it, Pokemon is one of the biggest franchises and has billions of characters, but COME ON LOL

Currently crossing my fingers for some of the other veterans to return with buffs. Ness and Ice Climbers definitely need them, but especially Ness. 

• Thumbs Up 2