Awoo.

root08

Whenever I think back to Spyro 2 all I can remember are horribly infuriating challenge minigames.  Adamska's post was basically the videogame analog of a bunch of nam flashback triggers.  All that's missing are the turtles.  

You can't bury it deep enough.  

What was is, Legend of Spyro?  Came out about  the same time as Journey of Dreams, so all I remember about it was it being a purple thing that wasn't the purple thing I was looking for.  

All the videos I've seen of skylanders just look to me like a group of people said, "Hey, let's make a really boring video game."  

I like this Spyro:

Spyro.gif

The Insomniac Spyro. Excelent level design, great characters, great music, great story, everything was gorgeous and challenging. My first Spyro was Year of the Dragon, and it's still my favorite, tho Ripto's Rage is close. The fist one was kinda bland, but I think it's because I played it last. That just show how much bigger the other 2 were.

Anyway, I think everybody else already described well Spyro's current status, which is: shit.

Guess you found a better logo than I did tongue.png  Mine were a little broken on the transparency.

Yeah like the second Spyro game the best too, because always liked Ripto, always thought that he was a more threatening villian towards the beloved purple dragon.

I'm mostly partial to the Legend of Spyro series myself, partly because they were my first Spyro games, and they were pretty great brawlers. They had their faults, sure, but I would've liked to have seen some kind of continuation. Skylanders... Bleh. They ruined poor Spyro's design and did what they did to Rayman but worse. At least Rayman didn't get an awful design change.

A couple of years ago, I actually tried playing the first Spyro for the PSX. After seeing all the praise for the original trilogy, I figured I might as well try it out. What I expected was a fun PS1-era platformer.

What I actually played was a functional but otherwise entirely bland, generic and forgettable platformer.

No, I'm serious. I was actually confused when I played it, because to say I was underwhelmed and disappointed was an understatement. How does this game actually get any praise? Literally everything about it is hopelessly generic, from the environments to the character designs. The platforming is functional but so-so. And I utterly hated Spyro as a character, I just couldn't bring myself like the cocky little brat. And what passes for humor is just awful.

Maybe the sequels are better, but until someone convinces me that they fixed all of the above problems, I'm not really gonna bother. Which is a shame, because I really didn't want to hate the game, but I was very underwhelmed nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm mostly partial to the Legend of Spyro series myself, partly because they were my first Spyro games, and they were pretty great brawlers. They had their faults, sure, but I would've liked to have seen some kind of continuation. Skylanders... Bleh. They ruined poor Spyro's design and did what they did to Rayman but worse. At least Rayman didn't get an awful design change.

A couple of years ago, I actually tried playing the first Spyro for the PSX. After seeing all the praise for the original trilogy, I figured I might as well try it out. What I expected was a fun PS1-era platformer.

What I actually played was a functional but otherwise entirely bland, generic and forgettable platformer.

No, I'm serious. I was actually confused when I played it, because to say I was underwhelmed and disappointed was an understatement. How does this game actually get any praise? Literally everything about it is hopelessly generic, from the environments to the character designs. The platforming is functional but so-so. And I utterly hated Spyro as a character, I just couldn't bring myself like the cocky little brat. And what passes for humor is just awful.

Maybe the sequels are better, but until someone convinces me that they fixed all of the above problems, I'm not really gonna bother. Which is a shame, because I really didn't want to hate the game, but I was very underwhelmed nonetheless.

Because it made the standard? it was one of the first of the 3-D platformers, right alongside Croc and the legend of the Gobbos, SM64, Crash (and technicly Bug! 3D). When you have very little to compare it to, its stands out in its own right, only change now adays is that the market has been saturated with stuff of similar quaity for a decade or two

Problem is, Spyro 1 doesn't have any memorable environments or enemies that are anything more that literal bare-bones platforming tropes that have been done since the NES era. Seriously, there's just literally nothing memorable about it in its own right aside from Spyro himself, nothing that the game can really call its own. Even the father of 3D platformers, Mario 64, made the effort to make its worlds unique and memorable. Whatever the hell Spyro 1's first green world was, it had literally nothing on Bomb-omb Battlefield or Banjo's Spiral Mountain.

Please tell me they fixed that in the sequels, because the bits I've seen of them indicate that they might've.

Problem is, Spyro 1 doesn't have any memorable environments or enemies that are anything more that literal bare-bones platforming tropes that have been done since the NES era. Seriously, there's just literally nothing memorable about it in its own right aside from Spyro himself, nothing that the game can really call its own. Even the father of 3D platformers, Mario 64, made the effort to make its worlds unique and memorable. Whatever the hell Spyro 1's first green world was, it had literally nothing on Bomb-omb Battlefield or Banjo's Spiral Mountain.

Please tell me they fixed that in the sequels, because the bits I've seen of them indicate that they might've.

Yeah, its a bit better in the sequels, the first one is basically the only one thats really that barebones, I would say get year of the dragon but since its been a while since i've played it I have to say ripto's rage since I think it is pretty darn good compared to the first (it actually has swimming for example) and while the levels do get a bit same-y sometimes the level design is generally pretty good.

Spyro 2 and Spyro 3 do have better characters and slightly better story-lines. The worlds and levels are more vast and adventurous too. 

Go play Spyro 2 or 3, immediately! The original is reaaaally bland like I said earlier, but the sequels are HUGE and memorable, with better music, controls, graphics, gimmick, everything. Not to mention, Spyro's VA in the original is terrible, while in the sequels, is Tom Kenny (Sponge Bob's VA) and he plays WAY better.

Go play Spyro 2 or 3, immediately! The original is reaaaally bland like I said earlier, but the sequels are HUGE and memorable, with better music, controls, graphics, gimmick, everything. Not to mention, Spyro's VA in the original is terrible, while in the sequels, is Tom Kenny (Sponge Bob's VA) and he plays WAY better.

Wait, spyro's spongebob O_O?

... but yeah, I'm probably the only one who's favorite is the first one. Sounds like you'd enjoy 2 and 3 better.

The ONE thing I distinctly remember the MOST about Spyro 1 is...that damn dragon Jed on the Tree Tops level.

OH MY GOD that thing was a horror before the internet was in such a state as it is now, where all the answers are at your fingertips. It was thrilling to try and get to that annoying egg all by yourself just through working it out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I decided to give Spyro 2 a shot... And while I've barely started, it's certainly a step up from Spyro 1, so far.

• Firstly, Spyro himself. Couldn't stand him in 1, they actually made him tolerable here. He's actually not far removed from his Legend incarnation's personality, just a bit more laid-back, I think. I actually found it amusing when Elora called him a dork.
  • Plot's cheesy, but still better than the original game's.
  • New characters... Wow, seeing Hunter here is a bit jarring, but I'll get used to it. Elora's not too bad. Ripto? Eh, I guess, your standard evil dude, really, not much that makes him stand out. Moneybags? I swear, if I didn't know he existed and was such a douche before, I would've hated his guts anyway. WHY DO I NEED TO PAY YOU TO SWIM YOU ASSHOLE
  • Better and more varied art, though the PS1 really held this game back, the visuals didn't age well (not the artists' fault, mind you, I think). The way the PSX renders stuff seems a bit jittery, too. These games could really do with a HD revision with better hardware.
  • Music is pretty good, but nothing memorable so far.
  • Camera isn't very good, especially since it's way too close to Spyro.
  • Core mechanics aren't too shabby, there's the jump, glide, flame breath, and charge. Hopefully things will get more interesting as I progress.

I'm not exactly amazed yet, but I've only just started, so that's a given. Better than the original already, but the camera sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been interested in Eternal Night on Wii as I loved Dawn of the Dragon Wii, I was curious about the following since I'm a tech geek :P :

1. Anyone with both the Wii and PS2 versions able to tell any graphical differences? I heard Wii has better textures and less lag.

2. Does the Wii version support 480p? Same for the PS2 version?

3. How about the framerate of both? Heard it is smoother on Wii, just not sure if it's 60fps or not.

• 10 months later...

I made a post here about the Spyro Trilogy but it got lost in the wipe. I've managed retrieve the post and I've also made a few alterations to it so I'm gonna go ahead and repost it here as I originally thought it was lost forever. (I basically played Spyro 1 and 2 for the very first time in the summer of last year and I gave my thoughts on the trilogy as a whole).

SPYRO 1

Spyro_the_Dragon.jpg

I think it's an okay game overall. Spyro 1 starts off by introducing you to a clear and peaceful atmosphere in the first world which eventually leads to you discovering many other open worlds which offer the main focus of exploration and platforming in all levels. You are also introduced to Spyro's 3 main moves: Gliding which was very useful when travelling at long distances and two attack moves which include a flame breath attack and charging move. It's not much of a variety but it's pretty effective as performing these moves feel rather satisfying and simple as a whole. Spyro's movement also feels very responsive which is good. The medieval style also makes the worlds stand out more which is nice and rather unique in a way. Overall, the game has a nice natural setting. Some challenge is thrown in the later levels too such as Wizard Peak and Treetops. I also liked the addition of boost ramps which allowed you to perform the supercharge which felt rather fun and thrilling to do. However, it's definitely my least favourite out of the trilogy.

The main problem I have with Spyro 1 is that it's pretty bland, generic and undistinguished as a whole. It's kinda too simple and I feel it's inferior to the sequels. Maybe it's because I played Spyro 3 first. I feel that the sequels drastically improve from Spyro 1 making it look and feel less appealing, more uninteresting and pretty empty in comparison. Certain environments in levels also feel very barren, plain and lifeless. Bosses are also pretty easy (aside from Gnasty Gnorc). I also found the flight levels to be rather frustrating and somewhat annoying. It really lacks in offering more variety as the focus is mainly on collecting gems. It's definitely more bland and basic but the charm is still there and I still managed to have a nice experience with it. It has its pros, cons and often lacks to what is brought in the sequels but as a whole, it's still an okay game. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't barebones though.

SPYRO 2

Spyro_2_-_Ripto%27s_Rage!_Coverart.png

A great improvement over Spyro 1. Storywise, there's already more of a plot here and voice acting has really improved too. I know it's a basic one but there's still charm to it. Ripto is a believable villain, his interaction and banter with Spyro is humorous and engaging. As for the other new characters: Elora, The Professor and Hunter are all a great addition to the Spyro cast. They're all great characters. I love the Professor's mannerisms, Hunter's naive and innoncent child-like personality and Elora's expertise skills, helpful personality and her strong leadership. They all rock! Tom Kenny is also the best Spyro voice, hands down! Gameplay wise, Spyro's movement feels more natural and precise which is great. Spyro can also jump slightly higher (during a charge move) which can allow him to reach high platforms at ease. The addition of the hover move was also good and made it easier to get across longer distances. Overall, the controls feel more tight and smooth. One of the more noticeable improvements in this game is the addition of NPCs with full dialogue. In every level there was a small side plot which involved NPCs facing problematic situations which Spyro had to assist in. I loved being able to interact with the residents in each world because I felt like it breathed more life into the Spyro Universe and made the levels more memorable and somewhat attractive in a way.

I also liked the introduction of cutscenes that would appear everytime you entered and exited a level. I found them rather entertaining and fun to watch. (One touch that I find very unique is that in one case, the allies you meet in one level become the enemies in another level and vice versa due to The Zephyr and Breezebuilders being at war with each other). This is rarely done and it's nice to see each level having some sort of connection. There's definitely a lot more to do in levels now due to extra content offered and gems play a more essential role as they are now needed in order to progress. This is mainly when it comes to encountering Moneybags who is an absolute dick! (To quote Bentley) "A brazenly avaricious, duplicitous, larcenous ursine!" Spyro also gains new abilities during advancement of the game and these include swimming and climbing.

I think the swimming controls in this game (and Spyro 3) are absolute great and definitely one of the best swimming mechanics in gaming. The addition of mini games also added a lot of variety which was missing in the previous title. It also added some challenge and you are often rewarded for doing these. Overall, I thought most of the mini games were enjoyable. Special gates were also a nice addition what with providing you with temporary powerups such as superfire breath and the return of the super charge and like last time, I always find these rather satisfying and cool to perform. Bosses are also an improvement in this game. While short in numbers, they are definitely more challenging and memorable than any of the bosses in Spyro 1. I really enjoyed them a lot. Soundtrack is quite nice too, the homeworlds in Spyro 2 have very soothing music. My only minor complaint would be the one instance of backtracking in Fracture Hills with the alchemist mission but this was only because I didn't have the headbash move which meant I had to do the mission again after unlocking the headbash. I also didn't bother with the skill points to be honest. Overall Spyro 2 is very sharp, detailed and a drastic improvement over the first game. It's personally my second favourite Spyro game.

SPYRO 3 

Spyro-year_of_the_dragon.png

My absolute favourite Spyro game. In this case, I feel this game offers the best of both worlds from the previous games and blends all the previous elements together to create the best Spyro experience. It all felt very well rounded. Storywise, this plot is the strongest out of the trilogy. The character development has really improved in this game and every character in this game stands out by having very interesting and unique personalities. For starters with the new characters, Sheila is an easy going character that also has a tough and spunk attitude which is very appealing and her Australian accent is loveable. Sgt Byrd is a exemplary character who is based on James Bond and has militant type of personality which makes him rather distinct in a cool way. Bentley surprisingly appears to be a very intelligent and well spoken character that has a colossal amount of vocabulary with an engaging use of diction. He also appears to have a fun and comedic type of personality too.

This instantly makes him rather interesting, surprising and fascinating alll at once as he appears to be what you wouldn't really expect him to be like. Just by looking at him, you would think he'd be aggressive, dim witted, chaotic with a wild personality but no! He's sharp, clever and quick-witted which definitely gives an element of surprise to the character. Whereas Agent 9 has a more wild and hyper like personality. I think Bianca has the best character development in the game as she doesn't have the intention to kill Spyro and Hunter but instead uses threats towards them in attempt to make them stop their adventure and prevent them from facing the dangers that lie ahead. Then as soon as she realises The Sorceress' true motives, that's when she starts to shine and decides to help Spyro save the dragon eggs. The romantic relationship between her and Hunter is also sweet. 

Gameplay wise, it's similar to the previous two games. The controls still feel very fluid and smooth. Spyro immediately has all his abilities to begin with which feels more satisfying than before. The biggest change in this game is the addition of 5 playable characters and I think they really added more variety to the gameplay. Sheila is one of them and I personally find her gameplay very fun and second best to Spyro's. Her gameplay involves a kick attack which is very effective and a super high jump which is rather cool to do. Sgt Byrd has the ability to fly, shoot rockets and drop bombs. His manoeuvre feels rather stiff but other than that, his gameplay is still fun overall. Bentley's gameplay involves using an ice club to smash stuff and reflect attacks from enemies. Out of all the characters, he has the most slow paced gameplay. Agent 9 has shooting gameplay which works fairly well and can be enjoyable. Sparx is another character who has shooting gameplay and my only gripe is that you're limited to shooting only at the facing direction.

Level design is also very good and it's a nice touch to see the dragon eggs hatch and once you save them, they're already pre-named. As for the soundtrack, it's excellent! I find it very energetic, upbeat and catchy.  It's my personal favourite Spyro soundtrack, I absolutely love it. Mini games also make a return here and this time they are placed in a separate portal in a level which I thought was a better way of approach. They have improved in this game and I find them even more enjoyable than beforehand. The skateboard mechanic was my personal favourite, it felt very satisfying to perform tricks.  Bosses are still quite challenging and threatening like before in the previous game which is good. There's a nice balance of difficulty. I also believe that Spyro 3 also has the best speedways. Time attack challenges have improved here mainly thanks to Sparx's hints and racing is now added as an extra challenge to save more eggs.

I found the races very exhilarating and fun as a whole. There's a very good sense of atmosphere too and the music feels very uplifting and relaxing to hear while playing. My minor complaint for this case is mainly the lack of interaction between Spyro and The Sorceress, it's a bit of a shame since the only time they actually interact with each other is during the final battle against each other whereas you had more communication and verbal intercharge with Ripto in the second game. Overall, Spyro 3 remains to be a great addition to the series and to this day it's still my favourite Spyro game and I also consider it to be a great close to the trilogy.

As a whole, I would highly recommend this trilogy! It's definitely worth trying all three games if you're new to Spyro. If anyone is interested in how the development of Spyro began with Insomniac then I'd also recommend watching this retrospective on the Spyro series.

• Thumbs Up 1

God I love old school Spyro! Year of the dragon is one of my favourite games of all time. I also kept thinking that A hero's tail was a nice spoof on the old stuff. Too bad they made Bentley a bit daft... What happened to dupuis lasik ursine?  

Thinking back, I dunno if I ever bothered to get all the Skill Points at all. Only ever found out about what they unlock from the internet. D:

In any case I found it as a really good way to 'reward' very skilled players of the game while also being a kind of bragging rights reward for doing so. Like an Achievements/Trophies before those were ever a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I love all three PS1 Spyro games. My favourite of them is the second game. But then Enter the Dragonfly happened. I had that on PS2 but I never played much of that because it just wasn't fun.

Skill points? Honestly, I have never heard of them.

I love all three PS1 Spyro games. My favourite of them is the second game. But then Enter the Dragonfly happened. I had that on PS2 but I never played much of that because it just wasn't fun.

Skill points? Honestly, I have never heard of them.

They're these :) There's a good chance you may have found a couple of them randomly in game as you can find them randomly and by completing certain objectives during mini games  :) You may recognise the sound effect you hear when you get them :)

Gateway to Glimmer is my favourite too :)

They're these :) There's a good chance you may have found a couple of them randomly in game as you can find them randomly and by completing certain objectives during mini games  :) You may recognise the sound effect you hear when you get them :)

Gateway to Glimmer is my favourite too :)

Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure but that might sound familiar. Well, it says skill point when you get one. But honestly, third game is the one i'm least familiar with (I prefer first and second).

• Thumbs Up 1