Awoo.

Mentally Challenged kid taken to court by school for Recording bullying

nintega137

http://aattp.org/special-ed-student-who-recorded-bullies-tormenting-him-accused-of-felony-wiretapping/

When a Pennsylvania sophomore with learning disabilities could not get help from his teachers, he decided to take matters into his own hands.  The boy, who was not named, had been regularly tripped, shoved, nearly burned with a cigarette lighter, and generally tormented since moving to the South Fayette School District, just 20 minutes outside Pittsburgh, PA.

According to sources,

“The student and his mother, Shea Love, testified before the magistrate that the boy has been repeatedly shoved and tripped at school, and that a fellow student had even attempted to burn him with a cigarette lighter. The defendant is, according to school records, a well-behaved student with no history of disciplinary action. He was, however, previously diagnosed with a comprehension delay disorder, which is a slower processing speed for information than is normal, ADHD, and an anxiety disorder. He says the bullying treatment is especially harsh and academically disruptive during his special education math class, in which students with behavioral problems are also placed. On February 11, after doing research on several anti-bullying websites, he used his school approved personal iPad to make a seven-minute audio recording of his classroom experience. He played the recording at home for his mother. Outraged, Love, a former Air Force Morse code operator, transcribed the audio before calling school administrators.”
“According to Love, as the teacher is heard attempting to help her son with a math problem, a student says, “You should pull his pants down!” Another student replies, “No, man. Imagine how bad that (c**t) smells! No one wants to smell that (t**t).” As the recording continues, the teacher instructs the classroom that they may only talk if it pertains to math. Shortly thereafter, a loud noise is heard on the recording, which her son explained was a book being slammed down next to him after a student pretended to hit him in the head with it. When the teacher yells, the student exclaims, “What? I was just trying to scare him!” A group of boys are heard laughing.”

The boy had been diagnosed with comprehension-delay disorder, anxiety disorder and ADHD.  According to his testimony, he recorded the audio to show his mom that he “wasn’t lying” about the continuous abuse.

“I was really having things like books slammed upside my head,” he said. “I wanted it to stop. I just felt like nothing was being done.”

Angered by what she saw, she took the audio recording to the school principal, Scott Milburn.  What Mr. Milburn did next is nothing short of shocking.

“After listening to her son’s evidence, Love eventually reported it to the South Fayette High School principal who, instead of disciplining the bullies involved, called the police to interrogate her “visibly distraught” son.  When Love arrived, the principal said the student was facing felony wiretapping charges because he had made a recording in a place where there is an expectation of privacy.  The officer agreed but eventually reduced the charge to disorderly conduct on the basis that the student engaged in offensive actions ‘which served no legitimate purpose.’”

Despite the abuse that the boy had to endure, he was eventually found guilty of disorderly conduct by District Judge Maureen McGraw-Desmet.  This marks the first time that a bullying victim recorded abuse, and was later charged with a crime.

They plan to appeal the ruling on April 29.  The bullies were never punished.

Seriously?!!!!!!!! Honestly? And the worst part about all of this is is that the bullies are still getting away with this. How does this happen? 

Once again, the american law system shows it's incompetence. I hope Karma hits those little cunts in the worst way imaginable.

Wait - what the fuck? Wiretapping? Isn't that hacking someone's phone lines? How is recording stuff with an iPad comparable in anyway, shape or form? This is fucking ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 6

This is sickening. The school don't even have the balls to deal with the real issue, the bullying. Poor kid....

• Thumbs Up 1

Big stinkin' surprise. Bullies get away while the people they torment are treated like crap. Keep it up, 'Murica.

I live in Pittsburgh, so knowing that the folks in charge are emotionless robots sickens me even more.

I honestly just laugh about this shit now, because it shows the sheer stupidity and incompetence of some people in the world. I see dumb shit like this in the news so often that it honestly doesn't surprise me any more since people have already set the bar so low lol.

• Thumbs Up 4

I can't believe this, just goes to show how corrupt and idiotic our legal system is. BTW there's two petitions up on change.org with 2 different objectives.

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/district-judge-marueen-mcgraw-desmet-appeal-the-wiretapping-charges-against-a-bullied-student

This is an appeal to free the victim of this bullying, of which I signed. It only needs 17 more signatures, this is not my petition though.

https://www.change.org/petitions/pennsylvania-governor-and-pennsylvania-state-house-and-pennsylvania-state-senate-fire-principal-scott-milburn This one is to fire the principal. I didn't sign it, because I think all this media attention will make him resign himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's such a shame. American Schools NEVER DO ANY THING ABOUT THOSE DAMN BULLIES. This is totally unfair to a DISABLED CHILD WHO WAS TRYING TO SHOW PROOF THAT HE WAS BEING ABUSED AND HARASSED BY OTHERS. And yet, he's the one who gets the blame? What the hell is this? I am just outraged by this.

Keep it up America. Your effort to stopping bullying is going nowhere.

• Thumbs Up 3

What... So, the kid tapes actual video evidence of bullying and harassment activities going on in the classes... and HE gets in trouble for it? Not only that, but he's being charged for it as a crime?

What the fuck is wrong with this school? Wiretapping?! That's not the same thing as hacking a fucking phone or internet you twit! What line of crack did these asses snort?!

The bullies are ALWAYS the problem and yet the school never ever does a damned thing about it! Never did and never will. It really makes me wonder if those Anti-Bullying commercial I keep seeing are even worth a damn...

• Thumbs Up 3

The things some people are willing to do to "uphold the, what stupidly is in their mind, law." I Mean really? The kid is mentally challenged and gets in trouble for being bullied, and getting evidence to prove it when no one believed him? I thought schools were supposed to crack down on bullying, and help people that have been bullied, not help bullies get away with what they do and leave the victim with the punishment. I mean this principal seems to be crappy at his job. Prime example of how corrupt some school officials can get.(wouldn't be surprised if this guy was actually friends with some of the bullies and was trying to get them off the hook.)

• Thumbs Up 1

For me this is basically preaching to the choir.

I was never arrested or anything, but I was suspended numerous times throughout Middle School and High School, all because I fought back against people who bullied me.

It was worth it though. No better feeling than smacking some asshole in the face with the back of your fist and having them never bother you again.

• Thumbs Up 3

Good Lord. The kid getting bullied was the one charged with the crime. Just another instance of victim blaming when it comes to bullying. Except this seems especially gross to me. I myself was bullied off and on during my life (due to my small childhood stature, weight, and tendency to be quiet). Even in High School, a guy who had almost a foot on me (at the time I was 5'6", I'm now 5'10". He was 6'3") took it upon himself to try and make my time at the locker hell, and when I ended up shoving him out of the way I was the one who got called in for discipline. It's bullshit. We can't defend ourselves from it, and if we just sit there and do nothing it gets worse.

Oh dear, I had seen headlines about this, but I didn't realize they actually fucking found him guilty. Forsaking the whole idea of morals there, justice system. I understand those laws exist to protect students, but surely these are exceptional circumstances. The kid was getting assualted. Depressing and disgusting, really.

(Off-topic, but you might want to sort the formatting OP, it's kinda hard to read)

I am so glad I'm not the only one who feels that teachers aren't doing enough to stop bullying.

They would just tell me to ignore them, except that doesn't always work. If anything, they're encouraging bullying by doing little to nothing.

In the end, I'm left angry and wondering what I did to deserve it. It's even worse when some of them are your friends from past years, which hurts all the more.

Furthermore, hearing that even the legal system is willing to essentially support bullying gives me even less faith in the legal system, and just proves even more that it needs reinventing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Half a cent bet that all the judges were bullies who got away with everything and are protecting their own to ensure the superiority of bullies and the destruction of their "inferiors". Or they have some kind of half-assed notion that bullying = make people a man and remove the sissies/weaklings who don't deserve to exist.

• Thumbs Up 2

Half a cent bet that all the judges were bullies who got away with everything and are protecting their own to ensure the superiority of bullies and the destruction of their "inferiors". Or they have some kind of half-assed notion that bullying = make people a man and remove the sissies/weaklings who don't deserve to exist.

It's not impossible, I admit, though we may never know. I'd rather not know, myself.

Really, this kind of stuff is what vigilantes are for. When the law fails you, do what they won't/can't.

• Thumbs Up 1

And the thing is, once you "man up" and do something about it; you're the one who gets slapped with some kind of punishment. WHENEVER I retaliated against my bullies I was the one to get in trouble, never them.

• Thumbs Up 7

And people wonder why we have cynics in this world - there's always some jackass in power who does the complete opposite of what they and everyone else know is the right thing...and worse, they get away with it.

I hope the principal gets bitten so hard in the ass he can't even afford to regret what he did.

• Thumbs Up 8

[sarcasm] Yay for the Pennsylvania school system! [/sarcasm]

This is why we can't have nice things.

And people wonder why we have cynics in this world - there's always some jackass in power who does the complete opposite of what they and everyone else know is the right thing...and worse, they get away with it.

I hope the principal gets bitten so hard in the ass he can't even afford to regret what he did.

We can hope the kid and his parents get a better judge for the appeal. From what I figure, they can file a civil suit against the school if the conviction is overturned.

This is ridiculous. Someone actually has proof of being bullied but do the bullies get blamed? NOOOOO. Let's all blame the one who's bullied just because he recorded some evidence! 8D

Seriously WTF is wrong with this world?

• Thumbs Up 2