Awoo.

The Smash Brothers (Documentary)

VO.SUPER

(Full Playlist)

How can I describe this? Four hours worth of information about the Smash Bros. competitive community packed into nine videos, bringing it all to a whole new light. 

Yeah, the video doesn't go into great depth explaining the mechanics; but it doesn't have to. It just entices you to want to know more after seeing how fascinating the competitive scene is for this game. I find it to be the perfect bridge from casual to understanding competitive game, by bringing it all down to earth by focusing more on the human experience involved in this story. You see through the lives of these competitors and get a whole new appreciation for the competitive community outside of the flame wars you constantly see. 

I can tell you something; I've become enthralled with spectating competitive Smash now, and understanding what goes on in these fights thanks to this documentary, and it makes me all the more eager for Smash 4.

My description gives this series no justice. Check it out; each episode is structured in such a way you can come back to it whenever you want. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I decided to check this out one afternoon and ended up watching it well into the night. Smash was the game which got me interested in competitive gaming in the first place, watching Melee combo videos was so impressive back in the day, when I was at the "knowing nothing of the true extent of the game's depth and just assuming that I'm really good because I can beat the CPUs" stage.

Watching it really spurred my interest in the game again, I'd never really practised Melee a huge amount, but it made me want to try and put more effort and practise into the game and talk to people to see if I could start up a small local scene. I imagine it's had a similar effect in a lot of places. This and EVO seem to have been the catalysts for a great Melee revival and it's incredible the effect that it's had on a game which by all rights should probably be dead by now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gah - I remember watching this around release, and me not being an eSports guy; it really enlightened me to the comp Smash community and such, which was pretty cool. I enjoy Smash and stuff - but it'd be really cool to be on this level.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a really great watch, not just for people already a part of the competitive scene but all Smashers in general.  It's informative, entertaining and enlightening and gives a great look into the history of the scene and helps clear up misconceptions as to why tournament players play the way they do.

Also it should be noted that one more episode for Swedish player Armada is in Kickstarter, regarded by many as the best player Melee and Project in Europe and one of the best in the world (arguably the best at Project M).  Currently they're a little over half way to the pledged goal of $28,000.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eastpointpictures/the-smash-brothers-armada

This is a really great watch, not just for people already a part of the competitive scene but all Smashers in general.  It's informative, entertaining and enlightening and gives a great look into the history of the scene and helps clear up misconceptions as to why tournament players play the way they do.

Also it should be noted that one more episode for Swedish player Armada is in Kickstarter, regarded by many as the best player Melee and Project in Europe and one of the best in the world (arguably the best at Project M).  Currently they're a little over half way to the pledged goal of $28,000.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eastpointpictures/the-smash-brothers-armada

Yeah; really liking how that's coming along. It seems to be going at a steadier pace than their original kickstarter. I expect them to reach the minimum just by the end. 

Though since I just recently became a competitive spectator; I have to wonder who Armada is, and what warrants him a whole movie.

That was an interesting watch. I knew there was competitive scene, but this documentary certainly gave a fresh perceptive on the whole thing and it never ceases to amaze me how good the players that featured really are.

Watching this make me want to go and play Smash Bros again and really can't wait until Smash Bros 3DS/Wii comes out.