Awoo.

Unconfirmed: Sonic to get a new Sidekick, to be created by fans

Badnik Mechanic

Sonic and Orbot opposite Eggman and Cubot. I can dig it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's a plotwist; when the new mainstream title will be out, SEGA will erase the game, and leave us with a little cutscene with Tails, with big letters saying: "Congratulations ! You found Tails, Sonic's sidekick ! See you next game !". And then we all remember the Sonic CD image.

• Thumbs Up 1

My possible, incredibly edgy responses:

A

That's what Tails gets for becoming completely useless

B

Of course SEGA would take all the complaints of the fan characters in the games as a sign to make a competition where fans create a character for the new game

C

And here I complained about Eclipse in the Archie thread

D

And people were so sure that Tails survived the crash in the Sonic Boom clip

• Thumbs Up 6

The fan characters.... They are coming....

Gamerboy The Spidermonkey for Sonic's Sidekick. LOL

• Thumbs Up 2

So there's now an actual chance that Bludshot the hedgehog or Sonichu can make it into the games? What in the actual fuck?

• Thumbs Up 1

So, no Sonichu for Sonic 2015? That's a massive relief.

I kind of liked the idea of the Google street view game though, I hope that becomes a reality.

If you look at the source link for all the images on the original website, the links appear to have an upload date in them.

2013/07/15

These images have been online for almost a year now. I think if this was a genuine idea, it's been abandoned. 

Oh well, that kind of sucks :P it would've been nice to see everybodies take on a new sidekick.

If you look at the source link for all the images on the original website, the links appear to have an upload date in them.

2013/07/15

These images have been online for almost a year now. I think if this was a genuine idea, it's been abandoned. 

Oh, cool, thanks. Google says the page was only archived April 17th 2014. Maybe they were uploaded privately for SEGA to see and they've just recently given him the go ahead to showcase them, since it's now scrapped and all.

Given the style difference between normal Sonic and this, maybe it was intended to hype up Sonic Boom and the prize was the winning character being an NPC.

• Thumbs Up 3

Speak for yourself ;^;

I kind of liked the idea of the Google street view game though, I hope that becomes a reality.

Trust me, it's probably the only thing we are all going to care about. And who doesn't want their "Sonic Fan Character" run around their neighborhood?

Well that happened. 

I guess we can all forget about this until someone from Sega sheds more light on the matter. 

As neat as this idea is, I can see this failing pretty badly. Plus on top of that, backlash will hit. HARD.

Luckily it seems like we won't see this actually happening. 

I can see two glorious outcomes to this short sightedness:

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

and

WHO'S BEEN DRAWING DICKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS?

• Thumbs Up 1

"Wait....WHO THE HELL DREW BIG THE CAT? OMG IS THIS PRINCESS ELISE? Oh for fucks sake that's the 13th Mighty The Armadillo we've had today!!!! You know what? Fuck this I quit. Project's off."

I think that's probably more accurate. ;)

• Thumbs Up 5

Ok so... I've been meaning to email this guy about this (not had the time, too busy with work).

Anyway, today I decided to take a look at the guys website again to see if the material was still up... and it is... along with one interesting piece of new information.

Under the Sega Sonic tab, there is now this line.

University project in cooperation with SEGA UK.

Sega were involved with this, however it was a university project. Now Sega have done this kind of thing before, you might recall they did some kind of advert thing with students during the 20th anniversary back when Generations was coming out? 

I've been quite adamant that Sega created those logos since it has all the characteristics of their department who makes all their logos for public events.

Now I'm not saying that this was going to be a thing, because if anything it more or less confirms it wasn't.... Buuuut... the fact it was a university project and Sega were involved, it might suggest that there are more portfolios out there from the same university students. Only with more/different information so we can get an idea as to what this task was and how deep Sega's involvement was.

What I get from that information is that the whole project was never actually going to happen and it was just a hypothetical for a class project, which would be pretty funny if true given how excited we got about it.