Awoo.

For Grammer's Sake

SIXTH-RATE SOMA

Is there any way we can reinstate some of the none-alphebetical letters for usernames, if we like limit their usage or something? I realize there's a chance to abuse a more varied amount of characters (such as the whole "erase my name and leave" fad), but then there's innocent, minor things, like me missing my hyphen for example. I just kinda wanted to know if I might ever be Sixth-Rate Soma again. ;^;

I just wanted to ask if there was any way we could, say, give members a one non-alphebet character to use when constructing their names, and be keeping with the present minimum character limit. I don't know the coding side of things, though, so I have no idea how feasible that is. If it can't be done it can't be done, but I figured I'd ask.

For all the fellow grammar nazis out there, this is for you

• Thumbs Up 7

Get on my level ;D

Honestly though, I do support this idea. I doubt one special character is going to cause much issue...
I think.

Get on my level ;D

Honestly though, I do support this idea. I doubt one special character is going to cause much issue...

I think.

That I do have to wonder, what's the point in a username that hardly knows how to read and pronounce?

I'm sure that allowing certain characters, like hyphens and underscores, are inoffensive enough to be removed from the filter. They don't really hurt anyone.

That I do have to wonder, what's the point in a username that hardly knows how to read and pronounce?

It's an in-joke. It says "Shousa" which means "Major". It's a reference to Jin being called "Major Kisaragi" or "Kisaragi Shousa" by Noel.

Some of them screwed up the status updates, didn't they? I don't think it's an issue of how many are used.

Some of them screwed up the status updates, didn't they? I don't think it's an issue of how many are used.

This is true, I've once tried to post some funky things only for the status' to completely explode, had to delete it in order to fix.

The URLs these days for the forum tend to use actual words with hyphens filling in for spaces, in both forum threads and member profiles.  Could the punctuation incompatibility be connected to that?

The main reasons for the restriction were:

• To eliminate any potential names or characters which could cause issues for the forum software;
  • As a means to clean up the accounts and make it easier to identify users (seriously - frequent and drastic display name changes make it so frustrating for moderation);
  • It's easier to make a whitelist than it is to make a blacklist.

That said, you've mentioned that you'd like to see dashes included in the whitelist. Are there any other characters that you'd like to see?

Thanks for responding!

Uh, as far as other ones, maybe just the standard keyboard characters? I understand that the offending characters were generally special characters and foreign text (sorry, Jin :c), so maybe the /:;()$&@#% types might make it back? Again, just as a one-character bonus or something. Only about two people are really gunning to be called $$$$$$.

• Thumbs Up 1

So we'll try something like this as a whitelist:

a-zA-Z0-9 /\_-@#%&():;

If anybody notices any registration issues from friends then let me know as soon as possible.

Eeeeee! :DDD

um I mean ahem thank you sincerely for considering my problem and putting up with my nonsense for a whole thread. You have my immense gratitude.

These Japanese emoticons get more confusing everyday.

But seriously, I've had problems with board software before where forward slashes and hashtags cause problems.  The former because the software thinks that the / indicates a new directory and the latter because it's mistaking it for a jump link.  So I don't think those should be included.  But eh, I guess there's no harm in giving it a go for now.

• Thumbs Up 2

These Japanese emoticons get more confusing everyday.

But seriously, I've had problems with board software before where forward slashes and hashtags cause problems.  The former because the software thinks that the / indicates a new directory and the latter because it's mistaking it for a jump link.  So I don't think those should be included.  But eh, I guess there's no harm in giving it a go for now.

IPB ensures that forward slashes, hashes and any other reserved (problematic) characters from display names and thread titles don't turn up in hyperlinks by stripping them from the URLs it generates. Just look at the permalink for any thread with a title that includes any of these:

! * ' ( ) ; : @ & = + $ , / ? % # [ ]

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_n4h755LJlK1sgbu3ro1_1280.png

So I can't change my display name no matter what I try. Are you sure you didn't blacklist them instead of whitelist?

So we'll try something like this as a whitelist:

If anybody notices any registration issues from friends then let me know as soon as possible.

[snip]

So I can't change my display name no matter what I try. Are you sure you didn't blacklist them instead of whitelist?

Yes, there is an issue. Registration doesn't work either.

It's easy to fix, however. If this what's currently being used as the whitelisted character class:

The hyphen is between the underscore and the @ symbol. It is treating this as a range, just like "a-z". Except "_-@" is an invalid range, so the regex match fails every time. Using this instead would solve the problem:

-a-zA-Z0-9 /\_@#%&():;

Moving the hyphen to the beginning causes it to be read as a literal character (which is what we want), rather than a special character indicating a range.