Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 1: Most Nostalgic Game

_-Dragonball-Z-Budokai-3-PS2-_.jpg

Yep, my most nostalgic game is also a DBZ game.

Budokai 3 is still by far the best DBZ game for me, and I played the CRAP out of it back in the day. I got EVERYTHING unlocked and I even used to hold tournaments with my family using this game. I also remember breaking my analog sticks because I span them too fast during the clash moments and that also gave my bro a friction burn on his palm. Good times. 

I know that a HD version was released recently and although the gameplay is still as good as I remembered it, the soundtrack was changed due to copyright issues. It's a massive shame because the soundtrack for this game was BOSS and really added to the experience. Have a listen, these are some of my favourite songs in the game:

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: Disregard that last post.

My most Nostalgic Game would probably have to be Sonic Mega Collection Plus for PS2

More specifically, this game

Sonic_%26_Knuckles_cover.jpg

No, not Sonic 3 and Knuckles, just Sonic and Knuckles. Strangely, it's the one I remember the most out of the classic series and have the fondest memories of. Running from the ghosts in Sandopolis, Collecting Rings with the Electric Shield around Flying battery, Defying gravity in the Death Egg, using one of these things in Mushroom Hill

Mushroom_Hill_Screen.png

Everything about this game is so memorable and so good, the music, the gameplay, the graphics. Every time I play it I get flashbacks to my childhood sitting in the dark in front of the TV with my PS2 and Sonic Mega Collection Plus. It was a simpler time

• Thumbs Up 2

So today do we have to make a post about our most nostalgic game?

Yes. Every day you'll make a post about whatever topic I introduce.

SuperMario64cartridgereplacement-lifeS.p

Super Mario 64 was my introduction to 3D games, and I played it to death. Even talking about this game takes me back. I still remember starting it up on my birthday and being completely blown away. I also distinctly remember not knowing how to swim. It's probably not the best Mario game and it's undeniably not the most polished, but this game shaped my interests almost single-handedly. Hell, if I were asked to think about my childhood, this would be one of the first things that jumps into my mind. I'm being completely serious- I played this game with my brother and my dad for hours upon hours

There's just so much I love about it that I wish I could experience with games again. When we first started off in the castle grounds, we didn't really know anything about the game- or even games like it. Everything was new. Especially when you've got a kid's imagination, it felt like anything could be around the corner. It felt like an actual adventure. I feel the same way about the old Zelda games. I'd really love to see a new game be able to give that feeling again, but I really don't think it's possible. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Day 1: Most Nostalgic game. 

OcarinaOfTime3DArt_001.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

yes the art is for the 3ds version just roll with it

So this game is awesome. While I played Mario 64 beforehand, I remember the first time playing it with my dad and my bro. It took us many sessions to actually complete the game, as none of us had really played anything so involved before. The storytelling was unlike anything any of us had experienced in a game, and while it's simple and people shit on it sometimes, I really think this is one of the best games in a series that already doesn't have a bad game. The reason this game really brings the nostalgia for me is because it was a game of many firsts for me. First game where I cared a lot about the story, first game I played with such emphasis on puzzles, etc. 

I feel like the 3DS version is still one of the best games you can get on the system. While its design is dated somewhat (did I mention a lot of games took inspiration from OoT and built off of it?) the 3DS really does clean the game up quite a bit, keeping the nostalgic factor while also making it rather fresh. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 1 - Most Nostalgic Game

Oh dear...

I wanna say Sonic, just because it was the first 16bit game I played... and I loved it... but the real game is probably one of the following...

1058280870-00.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the commodore 64. Oh yes we're cooking on gas now! It comes on a cassette tape

LOOK AT THOSE YOUNG SSMB'rs! They don't know what a cassette tape is! 13-crankykong.png

This was a game I got for Christmas and I love it, I still do in an odd way, I loved the fact I could play as one of the turtles and went going around taking out enemies and fighting guys from the show.

No it's not a good game, but what do I care... TURTLE POWER!

Next up is probably this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f19OA2yNN0M

Monty Python & The Quest for the Holy Grail

This is a PC point and click game based on the movie, and yes it's about as insane as the movie is too... and it's incredible. The game follows the plot of the game exactly and even throws in some extra scenes which I'm sure the Pythons had a hand in. 

As well as being a point and click games there are minigames too such as.

* Spank the Virgin.

* The black knight battle... only you can play as the black knight.

The start of the game has you filling out a questionnaire which will be used again when you come to the gatekeeper on the bridge.

It's really funny and one hell of a ride. Definitely recommend it.

Another part of me wants to mention this.

250px-Frontcoverbq5.jpg

But there's still 29 days to go....

And So ends Day 1: AKA: Day there's two types of gamers in the world, those who have played games on a cassette, and YOUNG PEOPLE!

Look there's a young person.

rad-kid.jpg

A typical young SSMB user.

Cranky_Complaining.gif "You kids with your CD-Roms and your cartridges! You don't know you're born! In my day we had to rewind games! We considered ourselves lucky! AND WE WERE!"

• Thumbs Up 5

Man I hope I don't neglect to mention like two thirds of my video game library because one game was fresh on my mind this time....even if I would've mentioned it a good bit anyway any may or may not end up doing that again.

Just curious, but are we getting an entirely new question set, getting some new ones mixed in with the old ones or are we retreading the old one again?

Anyway, on with the answering...

1wguahz.png

It's probably pretty apparent by now but I am a pretty big fan of the Pokémon franchise, and this was the game that, while it wasn't my first exposure to the franchise, was the one that got things rolling for me. It was the first time I had the chance to play the games, and learning about everything these games had to offer, despite being somewhat limited compared to some of the other games in hindsight, was a truly fun experience for me. I clocked in hundreds of hours on this game, and because of it, I've been hooked to the series ever since, and that probably won't change for a long time. I don't really go back to Sapphire any more because Emerald is flat out the superior version of the game in basically any regard you could bring up that is actually different, but Sapphire will always hold a special place in my heart for being the one that started it all for me.

• Thumbs Up 5

Man I hope I don't neglect to mention like two thirds of my video game library because one game was fresh on my mind this time....even if I would've mentioned it a good bit anyway any may or may not end up doing that again.

Just curious, but are we getting an entirely new question set, getting some new ones mixed in with the old ones or are we retreading the old one again?

Anyway, on with the answering...

1wguahz.png

It's probably pretty apparent by now but I am a pretty big fan of the Pokémon franchise, and this was the game that, while it wasn't my first exposure to the franchise, was the one that got things rolling for me. It was the first time I had the chance to play the games, and learning about everything these games had to offer, despite being somewhat limited compared to some of the other games in hindsight, was a truly fun experience for me. I clocked in hundreds of hours on this game, and because of it, I've been hooked to the series ever since, and that probably won't change for a long time. I don't really go back to Sapphire any more because Emerald is flat out the superior version of the game in basically any regard you could bring up that is actually different, but Sapphire will always hold a special place in my heart for being the one that started it all for me.

Some questions have carried over, but many of them are new.

DK_Country_2.jpg

Donkey Kong Country 2 may be the fan favourite, but I've never felt it had the best level design in the series. It was amazing, but it encourage momentum like its predecessor and it didn't take on nearly as many puzzle elements as its successor. That said, it was still amazing to play and everything else about this game probably made it the best of the trilogy. I got the game about seven months after it came out (after months of hype and speculation regarding Diddy's new girlfriend, Dixie Kong), and it was the best thing I ever experienced in a game.

This game brings me the most nostalgic feelings I've ever felt for a video game. I teared upon hearing Stickerbush Symphony remixed in Brawl and Tropical Freeze. Eighteen years later, I still regularly listen to the soundtrack, because the music is so good it pretty much goes with any mood. This is the one game I'd take if I could only keep one. David Wise is my absolute favourite musician and I'm happy that I occasionally get a chance to speak with him.

The other Donkey Kong Country games (yes, even Returns) provide me with similar feelings, but DKC2 just barely edges them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvsIvHJTds

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 1: Nostalgia games.

scan-130506-0001a.jpg

This is my first and most nostalgic game. Its a simple strategy game where you need to do certain missions. The cool bit is you could hatch and command dinosaurs. We get the cast of the film, which lends itself to some really funny lines. Don't believe me? Play Level 9 with as many Research Assistants as possible. I remember me and my brothers laughs and screams with it. I'm proud to have this in my collection and even still pop it in to have a laugh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pokemon_Blue_(EU).jpg

This (along with Pokémon Red) was the first game in the Pokémon series, a series which is still incredibly popular to this day. I'm sure it needs no introduction.

Me and my brother played this game a lot when we were younger, and while we weren't the most social kids around, Pokémon always seemed to connect us and the other kids at school, what with the trades, the myths (like finding Mew under the truck), and generally the experience of being huddled around someone's Gameboy while they play. Even just playing it alone, it was a very rewarding (if sometimes frustrating) experience.

I won't speak for the quality of the other Pokémon games, but Pokémon Blue is the only one I can replay multiple times and love it every time. Everything in this game (especially the music!) just makes me feel like a kid again.

---

Hopefully I'll remember to do the other days!

Day 1

Gsbox.jpg

I loved Golden Sun. It often slipped by unnoticed but it once caught my eye in a store. I started playing it and it was absolute fun from beginning to end. They customization and freedom of where you want to start whenever you want, as long as you have the power to do so, was something new and enjoyable to me. I loved the characters and story and I liked the lore. The second game was pretty fun too, but the overly asian setting caught me a little off guard. The newest game on DS is pretty okay.

The soundtrack is still my favorite GBA soundtrack, and Isaacs Battle Theme is my favorite battle theme. It was so catchy and good.. I just.. Man. I'm gonna stop gushing. I can't find my words. Jin out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFMc40qxJK4

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, don't blame me. This thing is pretty much what got me into gaming as a whole. Sure, I haven't played this much and all and I'm not a guy who grew with this thing, but there's something about this game that just pulls you in, as if it's your childhood in a nutshell, like it's the happiness in life and it just eases all your negative emotions. Whenever anyone has any sad feelings, really all I tell them is to go and play this game or at least listen to its music. Great stuff.

(Great job btw, Dis, and sorry for using Sonic for my first post, will try to avoid it! :D)

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 1: Nostalgia games.

scan-130506-0001a.jpg

This is my first and most nostalgic game. Its a simple strategy game where you need to do certain missions. The cool bit is you could hatch and command dinosaurs. We get the cast of the film, which lends itself to some really funny lines. Don't believe me? Play Level 9 with as many Research Assistants as possible. I remember me and my brothers laughs and screams with it. I'm proud to have this in my collection and even still pop it in to have a laugh.

Oh man I owned this.

Yeah it wasn't the best game ever but the fact it was a simple RTS game in which you controlled dinosaurs was quite a charm. Though good luck on ever getting enough resources to have a small army of T-rex's or triceratops, I think I only ever had one T-rex and triceratops in my entire game.

Also that final mission unlock, where you play as the T-rex was a stroke of genius.

John Hammond: Look... rare dinosaur eggs... you know what this means don't you?

Research Assistant: BREAKFAST!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Day Numbero Here we go again: Ninja's "Time to Insult Kami for 30 more Days, by the way he likes Men" Most Nostalgic Game!

Pok%C3%A9mon_box_art_-_Red_Version.jpg

yeah thats right, while all you Poo Babbies went on and on about your Trumpets, and your Surfing and went on about "Mommy, Mommy what is the right nature for my Swellow" I had played a MAN'S Gen!

....a Man's Gen filled with OP Psychic Types, Ugly Sprites, wrong type effectiveness and in general was pretty fucking unbalanced as shit, and a Anime that made me belive Charizard could do anything.

...so ok, not really a Man's Gen at all

but in anycase, this is what introduced me to this Franchise anyway and made me stick around for the good stuff like Platinum, HG/SS and X/Y. its REALLY Barebones of course, moreson than the aforementioned R/S, but I find it enjoyable regardless. Raising your own Little Killer Monsters and proving you are the best around and nothing's gonna keep you down, while going through the scenic Kanto region is still pretty nice as always and I still remember when I first Beat Blue and entered the Hall of Fame, wich still warms my Heart anyway regardless of Gen.

uJtnAVg.png

Belive it or not, I am quite fond of the Metal Gear series and this game is why

it was the first time I got to expirience a game that was more "Cinematic" from what I was used to at the time, full of cool little twists, characters, Bosses and Locations* and Gameplay that relied more on trying not to get caught rather than go in Gun's Blazin'

not to mention Great Moments such as the Psycho Mantis Fight, Liquid revealing that he was posing as Master Miller all along, the Cyborg Ninja, the fight against Metal Gear REX and much more.

so all in all this game Solidly made me a Son of Liberty, and always makes me wanna eat a Snake at Ground Zeroes while Walking Peacfully and bring the Phantom Pain using the Guns of Patrios with a Revengeance.

Honorable Mention goes to Yoshi's Island and the Donkey Kong Country series for SNES.

*you see, its funny because it literally takes place in Alaska! get it! 'Cool' Location!

• Thumbs Up 7

Mega_Man_X_Coverart.png

This game right here pretty much defines my childhood and passion for video games. I can clearly remember my very young mind being completely entranced by Megaman X, playing it for hours on end every day I could.

I had so much fun with everything the game had to offer, from jumping and shooting some robots, to using the unique powers that you got after beating a boss, to finding the armor parts that were hidden in the levels, to getting pumped by the rocking music, it was just a fantastic experience all throughout. The game is also very special to me because it holds memories of my nana, who always took care of me when I was growing up, since both of my parents had to work at their jobs. It was at her home where most of knowledge of consoles, game companies, and general gaming experience came to fruition.

VYhq6Ej.jpg

Oh boy, here we go... Not exactly what you would call a "childhood game". I mean, just look at that age rating.

So, let's begin. Grand Theft Auto 3. The 3rd main title for the GTA series, released in 2001. A game that probably redefined the open world genre, and cemented its place as one of the most revolutionary game at its time.

I first came across this when me and my Dad were visiting a friend of his. He wanted to show us how bloody cool this game was. Him and my Dad played it for a bit, while I just watched, mesmorised. I've played video games before at that age (only 5 at the time), but I've never seen a game like this.

You could do whatever you liked. You see that nice car parked on the curb? You can take that. That guy walking down the street looks like an asshole? Get out your car and tear him a new one. You just wanna drive around and cause mayhem and get into wacky cop chases? Man, that's what this game is all about. Go nuts. So much freedom. It was staggering with what you could do in a game like this.

Another thing I loved was that there was a fully functional in-game radio station, complete with its own ads, filled with raunchy humour and general silliness. Not to mention the huge amount of licensed music available. That's another great highlight about this game. Amidst all the chaos and violence, you could just cruise around and listen to your favourite songs... or you could just still cause havoc while listening to some great music. And thanks to that, any song I listen to now that appeared in this game, I'll always feel that nostalgic link to it.

Right, I think that's enough gushing for now. But I'll end this on something that always makes me remember the good times I had with this game. That glorious opening theme. Something I will never forget for as long as I live.

• Thumbs Up 1

My most nostalgic game also happens to be my absolute favorite one...

2wghlog.jpg

Super Mario RPG was my introduction into not only role-playing games, but also plot-based games in general. I have SO many memories of meeting new characters for the first time, buying items, throwing down with and getting stuck at bosses, and just taking in the fantastic music as I explored new areas. I was just a five-year-old kid who could barely read thrown into this HUGE world, so I was constantly on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next. Course, I had some help from my dad, who gave me some much-needed assistance on many an occasion and together, we actually managed to vanquish Smithy despite the fact that I was a small child who didn't care which stat increased upon a level-up, spent all of his coins on Pick-Me-Ups and the occasional weapon, didn't pay ANY attention to FP, and largely went out of his way to avoid enemies.

I could still name just about every scene, character, location, and weapon in this game off the top of my head if you asked. Gaz. Ma Mole. Bowyer. Boshi. The Axem Rangers. Nimbus Land. Barrel Volcano. Chained Kongs who had an uncanny resemblance to another Nintendo superstar. The Hurly Gloves that let you use an Italian Plumber as a projectile weapon. That Chomp that Bowser had a very intimate scene with. Mario's pantomiming which I imitated SO much and factors into my own sense of humor even today. Chef Torte and his amazingly French accent. I could just go on and on.

This game is the very reason that I'm such a huge fan of the Mario universe and franchise in general, as the world just sucked me in and wouldn't let me go. This game is why I get SO hyped upon the announcement of EVERY Mario RPG, just waiting for another chance to dive into that world and continue my favorite game's legacy. This game is why I prefer my games to have more than a bit of plot. But above all, THIS GAME is part of the reason that I became such a huge gamer and I couldn't be more thankful for it and the time that I spent on it. Sure, lots of people could make several arguments that many of the other Mario RPGs are superior, but in my heart, this'll always be the best. What more can I add but...

• Thumbs Up 3

WHOOOOOO LET'S DO THIS!

Day 1- Most Nostalgic game

Rival_Schools_cover.jpg

Rival Schools: United by Fate

One of the most overlooked and underrated Capcom fighters...hell, one of the most overlooked and underrated fighters period. This was probably my second favorite fighting game for the PS1, behind Tekken 3. Such a wonderful cast of characters spanning many school archetypes (you got your jocks, your gangsters, your disciplinary committee, tough-as-nail gym teacher, hell even a hot nurse!) It's a 2.5D fighter that took advantage of it's 3D graphics by allowing commands for sidestepping, and it plays so damn well. The game also had a special appearance by Street Fighter's own ass-kicking Ryu fangirl, Sakura!

sakura-rivals.jpg

What else...well it has a pretty cool soundtrack. I mean, I don't think this song will ever leave my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt0_IhoFwww

It's gotten to the point where every single Rival Schools cameo/reference makes me squeal with delight. The biggest offenders: Kyousuke in Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Batsu in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Project X Zone. Actually, I've been playing Tatsunoko vs. Capcom a lot, and they used the above song for Batsu's theme. I was so happy when I heard this you have no idea. The sad thing about this game...after the sequel on Dreamcast...Capcom has unfortunately not made another one, and in the shape they're in...I doubt they ever will :/

Random fun fact: One of my favorite bands is named after this game, and their debut album, United by Fate, is the subtitle for the original PS1 game. Neat, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHti80iCQU

• Thumbs Up 1

I have quite a few game that are nostalgic to me, but I'll keep it down to two:

the-lion-king-cover.jpg

I was a huge Lion King fan when I was younger so my family bought this in a bundle with Sonic 2. I loved every bit of it, even though I had a lot of trouble in some levels. I really wish this was on the eShop or PSN, I would love to play this again!

As for the second....please don't kill me for this! D:

bubsy__4459.jpg

I loved Bubsy just as much as I loved Sonic. It was one of the very first games I had on my SNES. I played it almost everyday, at every moment I could. I had a lot of fun with it, and even got up to the final level. Sadly, I never got to beat the game. But it was still a great experience.

• Thumbs Up 2

163685-digimon-world-playstation-screens

Growing up, Digimon World on PSX was my favourite game I would play for hours endlessly, and still find some enjoyment in today thanks to nostalgia. With a task set to return all the Digimon to File City, you raise your own Digimon by raising individual stats, battling him, giving him potty breaks, feeding him, applying discipline and keeping his happiness up... with certain requirements you achieved came stronger Digimon for you to digivolve into, but without the internet to help me at the time I had no way of knowing specific requirements to know how to get the Digimon I wanted. This always ended up in a fun, roulette like excitement whenever my Digimon digivolved, but I struggled to get an Ultimate level constantly. So I have very fond memories of the day I ended digivolving my Kokatorimon into a Pheonixmon for the first time, a highlight for me.

Yes I very much love this game. <3

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh this is gonna be a tough one but if I'm really going to have to choose, it will have to be.....

PaperMarioN64title.gif

I remember first coming across this game when me and my family were staying at this hotel when I was little. I got really excited when I found out that this place had a Nintendo 64 and I wanted to check it out. After hours of nagging, my dad finally caved in and paid for the game and as soon as I booted it up I fell in love. I just got a kick out of all the visuals, characters, storyline, and gameplay. Most people say that "Thousand Year Door" is their favorite entry is the paper Mario series, but to me the first one will always be the best.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 1: most Nostaglic game

I'm going to have to go with STARFOX 64

StarFox64_N64_Game_Box.jpg

You see the N64 was my first system, and I still use it from time to time quite fondly, even if its currently at home while I'm at colege. While Star Fox 64 wasnt my first game, it was on of the first games that gave me a grand sense of adventure, a fun story, and multiple levels of challenge on varying parths. It was a great and solid game, that was easy to jump into and is always a blast. Though Banjo Tooie is tied with it a bit, both gave me great experiences I still love redoing today

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd have to say one of this lot:

150262-Fantastic_4_%28USA%29-1.jpg

This was the first PS2 game I ever played. I dunno how well it holds up now, since my disc is scratched to hell, so lord knows if it's another victim of licensed game disease.

1103361677-00.jpg

Aw hell yeah, this is still a game I love to play. Having a whole city to explore? Yiss.

250px-Silver_EN_boxart.jpg

This was my first Pokémon game ever. It influenced my play style when playing Pokémon (on the super rare occasions where I actually feel like moving on beyond the first third of a game, that is): I never let any of my 'mons faint because I thought if they did, they died and I would have to catch a new one. Also, I got stuck and reset the game when I got to the Sudowoodo, then again with Ice Path because I didn't know how to get by them.

Also Clair is a goddamn bitch and I was so happy when I nuked her Kingdra with a Giratina first time on SoulSilver (I chose that version because I had played this).

Unfortunately I made the schoolboy error of saving after every E4 member (I fight them all in one sitting now) and wound up in a situation where Bruno would always curbstomp at least one of my Pokémon. Then one day it stopped working, I tried to disassemble the cartridge to see the problem and now it rests in pieces in the dark corners of my bedroom.