Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Favorite Developer

Let's see, I've used examples from Rare games for almost every answer in this thread. My latest status on this site is about David Wise. My avatar is Swanky Kong. I wonder who I'll pick as my favorite developer...That's right, it's Atlus!

I'm fucking with you guys, it's Rare.

RarewareLogoOld.jpg

What is my favorite thing about Rare? Is it the awesome games like Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie? Is it the humor? Is it the wide variety of high quality games spanning many genres, like platformers and shooters? Could it be the extremely talented musicians like David Wise, Grant Kirkhope, Eveline Novakovic, and Robin Beanland? Could it be the memorable and quirky main characters like Conker and Kazooie? Or could it be the memorable and quirky side characters like Cranky or Gregg? Or maybe the insane attention to detail?

The answer is yes, to all of them. Ever since I first laid my eyes and ears on Donkey Kong Country, a grew an obsession with this company. I made sure to play every game I could from them. Who wouldn't? I've never seen such a company be so consistently great with games, no matter the genre. DKC, Banjo, Conker, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Jetman, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo, Wizards and Warriors, Star Fox Adventures Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run Blast Corps, you name it. I know how depressing it is that they have fallen from glory, but that sure as hell won't stop me from loving Rare. I've played DKC2 more than I have any other game. I quote Conker's Bad Fur Day in my daily life. I listen to the likes of Wise and Kirkhope as much, if not more, than I do the likes of the Beatles and the Stones. This developer has had an impact on me like no other, and it's not hard to see why. I dare you to find me a developer that could put in as much polish and attention to detail as Rare and STILL make a quality experience.

Day 27: Favourite Developer

Screw it, I'm saying SUMO Digital. These guys are consistently good. I've played a couple of their games (Outrun, All Stars games and others) and each is to a great quality. Also how they listen to feedback. Remember how Nights couldn't be in ASR? Worked him in as Flagman. They just care for the fans, do their research, make great games, frequent use of Richard Jacques and the fact they're really nice guys make Sumo supreme

• Thumbs Up 1

nintendologo.png

It's honestly kind of hard for me to even admit this. Nintendo's management is out of touch and they've made some decisions that make absolutely no sense to me. They seem resistant to learning from both their successes and their failures. However... Most of my favorite games of all time have been developed by Nintendo, and their output of fantastic titles hasn't slowed. It really can't be anyone else seeing as how many of my choices in this thread were of Nintendo. They're creative and their products have an outstanding level of polish and care that lot of other's have never achieved. That and Nintendo is what helped me break into gaming, and some of my most important memories involve Nintendo games. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 27: Favorite Developer

Valve_logo.png

Valve has made some of my favorite games of all time, from Portal to Team Fortress. In addition to that, they've made one of my most-used services, Steam. But I think what makes Valve special is that, as a developer, they aren't afraid to do things differently and shake things up a lot. TF2, for example, is one of the best F2P games I've ever played, and a great example of implementing user-created content, ranging from functioning weapons, to cosmetics, to maps. They've also proven they have range, creating single player shooters, multiplayer team-focused games, adventure/puzzle games like Portal 1 and 2, and MOBAs like Dota. They're also great when interacting with fans.

Honorable (?) Mentions:

free-vector-nintendo-logo_090577_Nintend

This company has made so many classics. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby; I cherish these franchises. Nintendo almost never fails to put out a quality product. The reason I can't call them my favorite developer of all time, however, is because I think they're idiots and exist in a bubble. They make some of the most unique, high quality games of all time-- experiences you can't get anywhere else, but they're so ignorant of their competition and what consumers want or expect. Especially in the West.

I love them, but they need to get it together.

Robot_Entertainment_Logo.png

Robot is a smaller, indie developer of Orcs Must Die and Hero Academy fame. They're great with interacting with fans, and alpha testing OMD Unchained has given me the opportunity to play with and talk to their developers personally. What a cool bunch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Favorite developer...now THAT'S a toughie. Do I pick Rare for the personality-filled games that they USED to make before Microsoft gutted them? Nintendo EAD for the excellent platformers that have come down the line? Give more blatant love to Mario & Luigi through AlphaDream? How about...NONE OF THE ABOVE! There's ONE guy that I want to give all the props in the world to...

24bkrnp.jpg

It's Mr. Masahiro Sakurai's own studio, Sora Ltd.! Though he's only worked on a few games through it, you have to admire the sheer dedication that this man has to making sure that every title that has the Sora Ltd. stamp on it is the most polished, well designed, content-filled experience that you can get for the price. It's incredibly impressive to see the amount of work and detail that he puts into even the smallest element of one of his games despite the fact that Sora is a really small studio in general. You can definitely tell that this guy is super passionate about making games and that love easily shines through in masterpieces like Smash Bros and Kid Icarus: Uprising. Though that work has exhausted him on more than one occasion, he can rest easy in knowing that players like me truly appreciate the amount of effort he puts in just so we can have fun games to play with our friends and family. All the best to Sora, Mr. Sakurai. All the best. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't have anything witty to say here, so I'm going to be controversial instead.

Sega.jpg

SEGA...maybe?

Out of all the options out there, I suppose SEGA would be my favourite based on what franchises they've made and the fact that I don't think they're sleazeballs (hi Naughty Dog!). I mean, aside from Sonic, they've put out Super Monkey Ball, Puyo Puyo, Streets of Rage and other franchises I like, so they have more than one franchise to their name I can say I enjoy.

But honestly, I don't really care about the developers. I'm not invested enough in the real life workings to take note of what else a particular company has made and then look into them, I just get into franchises based on what looks appealing to me and it's usually just one game because I'm finicky. Even Nintendo only really have two franchise they made that interest me (Mario and Star Fox. I count Pokemon as Game Freak), and they have a huge plethora of franchises under their belt. But if I don't think they look interesting, tough luck. 

HoyBsKx.png

Rocksteady Studios

Rocksteady have only made three games and are currently working on their fourth, but they still managed to become my favorite developer. How? Urban Chaos: Riot Response The Arkham games, obviously. I've talked about all three of the games in the series, two of which were developed by Rocksteady, a lot throughout this past month, so this was a pretty obvious choice for me. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are two of my favorite games of all time, and I'm sure Arkham Knight will be right up there with them. DC handed Batman over to Rocksteady, and Rocksteady gave us gold. After Arkham Knight, I can't wait to see what they'll do next.

Day 27 - Favorite Developer

Nintendo_logo.png

As if I could choose anything else! Nintendo's definitely my favorite developer. In a world where a lot of the more popular games have grown stagnant (not all of them, mind you) with yearly sequels pushed out, Nintendo shines as a beacon of hope with whimsical, fun games that put your enjoyment first. Colorful characters and imaginative worlds are what spring to mind when I think of Nintendo. Plus, they've got some seriously talented dev teams like EAD, Monolith, and Retro Studios.

Day 27-Favorite Developer

Nintendo_Logo.png

You knew this was coming, Pete.

Nintendo is huge, as a game developer they just might be the hugest. For good reason, they have through their 30 years held a consistent track record of incredibly fun games. They're the Walt Disney of the game industry, oozing with charm and child like joy that all ages can't resist. They weren't even the company I primarily supported as a kid, I had a Genesis at home while my cousins had a SNES. Once the N64 came around, I finally got my own Nintendo console and that was the end of it. I was hooked. Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Donkey Kong, and more.

I can't name a specific developer I like the most, but I can list quite a few I am fond of. I love Nintendo as a developer, because when they get it right they REALLY get it right. They've created many of my favorite franchises. I love Retro Studios for their work on the Metroid Prime series and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I don't know if I should thank Hal, SORA or Sakurai himself for Smash Bros. Sakurai astounds me. His sheer dedication when it comes to his job is crazy, he's a complete workaholic! The lengths he will go to deliver a good game can be ridiculous, and he's even risking his own health while developing Smash 4 right now! Its insane!

Thats all I can say for developers I like.

Remember how yesterday I said I'm primarily a Nintendo gamer? So clearly, my favorite developer has to be.....

3d0+logo.jpg

Now this is a developer! I mean, how could you go wrong with such classics as the Army Man series, or Might and Magic? Right? Riiiiiight?

Okay, joke's over. I've never even played a 3DO game anyway.

But in all seriousness, it's these guys;

nintendologo.png

Sure, they have... questionable business decisions. And sure, some of their games have a tendency to be a bit on the stale side lately. But when they make a good game, damn do they make a good game. Their best works are polished, well-designed, and most of all fun. Many of my favorite games were either made by this company, or have had Nintendo's very influence in their development. May they continue to make fine games to entertain me and others for years to come.

Day 27 - Favourite Developer

I have a few, for different reasons.

photo.jpg

Naughty Dog

Frankly they're the best. There's a reason why this team is nicknamed 'Naughty God.' They just constantly produce stunning titles which build on their previous instalments, new games are always to a high standard and they're just constantly pushing.

They push what people expect from a game, both in terms of what's expected from it in terms of a story and gameplay experience, to how the game uses the hardware of the system it's built for. 

Naughty Dog prove that if you have a team of talented people who care about their craft, then they'll produce something incredible.

149004.jpg

That Game Company

I can't say this about many game developers "They have not made a bad game." That Game Company falls into that description, every game they've made I've loved, every game they've made is unique, every game they've made is a unique and compelling experience.

Hey you play as the petal of a flower.... this should suck.... but it's incredible, it really hits you how well the game has been made and really gets to your emotions at times.

Ico.jpg

Team Ico

"When will the last guardian come out?" I don't know... until then I'm going to play two of the greatest games ever made... both of which came from this development team. They took some very brave decisions when making ICO & Shadow of the colossus, but good grief they paid off.

The only problem with them is that they don't make enough games to satisfy demand.

• Thumbs Up 4

nintendo-logo-e1302810113468-517x270.jpg

Going to have to go with Nintendo here. Nintendo is responsible for many great series over the years, from Mario and Zelda to Pikmin and Animal Crossing. They always create unique, creative and generally fun games. Unfortunately, Nintendo also has a habit of abandoning some of their IPs, even those that have had a decent amount of success. It would be nice if Nintendo would revive some of their older projects (like some of the ones listed ), rather than continue to put their emphasis on only a few of them

Regardless of the flaws Nintendo has, they always seem to deliver with countless games that are loved by all. Sure, they could stand to make better choices, but when it comes down to strictly gaming they always seem to be near the top.

This one's a tough one because every developer studio I completely fall in love with either ends up dying (Free Radical - former Rareware) or goes to crap and turns my favorite franchise into Karate Choppin' Michael Baysplosions 6... goddamn it Capcom why. sad.png

But yeah, if I had to say my favorite it's old school Rareware and Capcom. Perfect Dark and Resident Evil man... these guys made some of my favorite games and franchises of all time before going to crap. Nowadays the closest I can trust is Platinum Games; I love their arcade-y type of gameplay style and these guys are the former talent from Capcom too. I just hope they don't die out or fall into that dark route that so many other developers fall into. I also really like and trust Naughty Dog/Team ICO too, despite not having been able to play many of their games. They're the main reason why I look forward to getting a PS3 so much.

Aside from gushing about Rareware and Capcom (which I've already done more than enough) though, I really don't know whose my real favorite dev right now. I've just been burnt out on too many of my favorite studios going downhill.

Previously on Day 26:

Next time on Day 28:

D27 Favorite Developer

Only 3 more days left, huh? Okay then let's do this!

sonic_team_logo___quinn_s_edit_by_sterli

Except when making Sonic games...lol jk

In all seriousness though, when Sonic Team made a non-Sonic game, it was really good. Take NiGHTS into Dreams, or Ristar, Chu Chu Rocket!, Puyo Pop, I think those games were really memorable....too bad they never really went anywhere except Puyo Pop and NiGHTS, which later spawned sequels.

RarewareLogoOld.jpg

Yeah, yeah you've heard it once, you've heard it a bajillion times. Rareware isn't really on top now with such games as Kinect Sports and...Kinect Sports Rivals (except they did have Killer Instinct 2013). But back when I could barely even speak in complete sentences, Rareware made such games like Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong Country, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye 007, and more. Sadly, most of the people who worked at Rare at that time no longer work for the company now. But the spirit of Rareware is not lost, for we have games like A Hat in Time, Lobodestroyo and Rusty Pup, two of said games have ex-Rare executives working on them

Day 27 - Favorite Developer

3-nintendo-wallpaper.jpg

Nintendo hasn't been on top of the world lately - especially to me - but there's no denying that these guys have given me some of my fondest experiences ever.  The adventure of Super Mario World, the atmosphere of Super Metroid, the whimsy of Kirby's Epic Yarn, the quirky mysteriousness of Pikmin, the exciting action of Star Fox 64, the diversity and potency of Majora's Mask, the list goes on.  In the past, they were the innovators, they were the ones who showed other studios how it's fucking done, and they knew how to keep us entertained.  Nowadays they have definitely gotten into a creative rut, as well as ignoring (and in one case, completely fucking up) many of their beloved franchises, but they still know how to make a damn good game when they put in their best effort, as Pikmin 3 will attest to.  In some aspects they kinda need to get their act together, but these guys were a revolution, and I'm sure they'll continue to make awesome games in the future.

Bayonetta_box_artwork.png

Platinum Games (and Clover Studio and whatever other groups had the Platinum people involved)

I'll say about these guys and video games what I said about Quentin Tarantino for films: they just get it.  They perfectly understand what makes flashy combat fun, how to deliver on amazing set pieces in both gameplay and presentation, and just making the player feel like a badass.  From the VFX effects from Viewtiful Joe to the slow-mo dodge and hair attacks from Bayonetta to the Unite Morphs from Wonderful 101, they always find creative ways to satiate my lust for kicking ass.

Nintendo-Logo.jpg

Probably going to have to go with Nintendo for this one. They and the studios they've got under their wing, like HAL Laboratory and Game Freak, have created a whole lot of games and franchises that I've loved throughout my life, like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and of course Super Smash Bros. It's pretty hard to imagine what the world would be like without these games, let alone their developers. Plus their games are pretty much the reason I've stuck with their consoles so far, so that's another bonus for them. They're not exactly perfect, but it's Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 2

DAY 27 OF PRESIDENT CROW DEVELOPING GAMES!

Here's my developer of choice...

NipponIchifull931647_zps67defd57.jpg

Nippon Ichi!

Nippon Ichi makes great games that never fail to make me laugh. They usually stick by their guns by making great 2D tactical RPGS but there's room to experiment every now and then. They've made great games like Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave amongst others, though I will say there isn't much lesser titles. They tend to make affirmly evil characters into hilarious and quirky characters like Zetta the most Badass Fricking Overlord and Gig the Master of Death who's such a snarker and despite hating everything he can't live without eating delicious food. They usually make pretty unique stories that avert the usual, like Disgaea is about demons, the son of the previous Overlord particularly and how he does go off and obtain his title to the point he eventually unites 3 worlds because of what he gets dragged in it. Their games as I mentioned are 2D and gotten quite a bit of flak from some review sites, stating that they were not up to take as other games but they did make quite the jump by making high definition sprites recently, proving they can take up the challenge. The games can be hard and fun though they are known to be quite the grind fest with level caps going to level 9999 usually. They are big time killers to say the least and I really love their work. Without them I seriously would be a different person so thank you Nippon Ichi for being so awesome.

Special shout outs to Vanillaware for making awesome 2D games as well to the point its art and ZUN, the creator of the Touhou games for being an awesome one man developing team creating one of the most unique and hard video game series out there.

UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

Day 27: Favorite Favorite Favorite Favorite Developer

All the good ones have been taken, except for...

level-5-company-logo.jpg

Level 5

These guys are really something. The developers behind Professor Layton and Ni No Kuni rank as some of the brightest young stars in the industry, and for no small reason. Their games are packed with life and character, and each has been a great joy to play. It's something that would be easy or generic to say about Nintendo or Valve or any number of the bigger companies over the years, but it's rare to find such exuberance and passion in such a young company as Level 5. Theirs, I think, is one of the happier success stories of the genre; you don't need a bank-vault of cash to be a face in the crowd. Talent and hard work are the anthems of the day, and the very reason I've chosen Level 5 as my pick for the day.

Runners Up (oh geez):

• Valve
  • Nintendo
  • Media Molecule
  • SuperGiant
  • Suda 51
  • Platinum/Clover Studios
  • Studio Pixel
  • Ken Levine
  • Atlus
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm going with these developers below:

2_38_zps4130a73b.png                258px-Bungie_Studios_Logo.svg.png  180px-300px-343_Industries_logo-1-.png  sega.png                                                                                                                   300px-Nintendo_Logo.png

These developers have provided me with so many great games that I can't choose just one. SEGA and Sonic Team have, of course, made all the Sonic games we all know and love such as Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Adventure 1&2, Sonic Lost World, and so on. However, one developer will soon be added to my favorites list towards the end of this year:

brb_logo.png

With Big Red Button Entertainment making our latest and newest branch in the Sonic franchise "Sonic Boom," there's no doubt that they will become a favorite. That is, if they continue to produce more games in this branch, which I'm certain that they will. From what I've seen in the trailers, its going to be good. And with the TV show they are making based on it, Big Red Button is a definite fave.

Bungie and 343 Industries are my favorite developers for the Halo franchise. With Bungie starting it off for the best Halo titles and then ultimately giving the franchise to 343 to make other games for the Xbox One, 343 Industries has been doing well with Halo 4.

Nintendo has been in partner with SEGA to bring Sonic to their platforms to make Sonic available on more consoles. They also have made some pretty awesome Kirby and Mario games as well. With The Pokemon Company and Game Freak, they, together, made the amazing Pokemon games for the 3DS and on the classic handhelds.

These developers are what made me love videos games, collect them and made me into the gamer I am today.

THE INDUSTRY'S FINEST, ONLY BY ABOUT TWENTY-SEVEN TIMES OVER

They're the Best -- Arooouuund! Nothing's Ever Gonna Bring 'em Down!  ~

kExDXcq.jpg

Day 27/30: Favourite Developer

Developer Chosen: Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development + their subsidiaries

"When I create a game, I try to focus more on the emotions that the player experiences during the gameplay."

~Shigeru Miyamoto

Brief answer for tonight, but, don't get me wrong, I'm not ignoring the likes of HAL Laboratory, Sora Ltd., Retro Studios, and Sonic Team, at least from off the top of my head, since they've all made pretty amazing games. However, I couldn't not say Nintendo for today's theme. Industry giant responsible many a gaming milestone, tons of memorable and quality titles (and by quality, I MEAN quality) as well as a handful of the business' most memorable icons (It's-a them!) since the arcade hit that was Donkey Kong... Again, how could I not?

We're already up to day 27? Damn.

Favorite Developer: Platinum Games

platinumgames.jpg

Okay, the thing about Platinum Games is that they understand things about Vidya that no other game devs seem to get.

For one, they understand that boss fights can be great. They're all varied, creatively designed, full of action, and they're usually really intense. They also feel like rewards for getting that far, as opposed to a thing at the end of every level you HAVE to do (This is way too common a problem.)

Also, Platinum Games understands that games can be AWESOME. They've got unique and fluid combat systems that never get old, awhich makes make killing even regular enemies fun. Impressive and crazy action sequences add to the appeal. Every game they makes makes you feel like a badass when you play them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MMhxOSR7J8

SEGA and their many subsidiaries... because to be this good takes AGES.

Don't have time to make a long post and some other people have spoken about it more detail anyway, but I love Sega despite all the rough patches they've been through over the years.

They're responsible for some of the coolest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing and were always the ones who embraced the future and weren't afraid to take risks. They were releasing games (and even hardware) years ago that we still haven't quite seen the likes of since, and did a lot of things long before anyone else did even if it wasn't always a commercial success. I'll always respect a developer that tries to do something different and it's just sad that a lot of it didn't quite work out for them.

Also if you don't love Sega, Segata Sanshiro will beat you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNwYPdEBTc

Honourable mentions go to Platinum Games, SNK and Classic Rare.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nintendo it is. I know it's a super generic choice considering all the other developers out there, but I can't think of any other company that has supplied quailty entertainment more consistently to me then them. Super Mario 3D World, all the Zelda games, Donkey Kong (with help from Retro Studios), Metroid Prime, Starfox 64 the list goes on and on. I always feel like I kid agaiN whenever I play one of their brand new games.

Runner ups are Naughty Dog, Sega on a good day, Platnium, and Old Square Enix

Favorite developer eh? truth is, I got two:

One is , of course, SEGA

I love Sega because they made my favorite crew of Sonic characters! I love Sonic So much and I love sega for creating it!

the other.... the one I have always loved...

Nintendo

I have always been a Nintendo fan ever since I was a kid, I had a N64, almost every mario party game that came out, Kirby games, DK64, I have a game boy color to this day. I simply Love both of these developers, because they make fun memorable games for everyone to enjoy!