Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Right now, my most anticipated game is this;

logo-sb-wii.png

Admittedly, I'm trying to avoid spoilers for most of the games I'm waiting for this year, so that's not a terrible lot I know about this game, but come on! It's a freaking Super Smash Bros. game! With just that general knowledge, how can I not be excited for this? I loved all the other installments in the franchise. Hell, Brawl is one of my favorite video games of all time. So really, it should be expected that I, or anyone else for that matter would be excited as hell for it. ^^;;

Let's goo!

Day 26: Favorite Generation:

I'm really on the fence here. The PSOne, from the 5th gen, was the console I've played most and had more games. But the PS2, on the other hand, introduced me to a world of possibilities. I love the PS2, it had brilliant games, and for me, it was a total revolution. But I guess I can't say it was my favorite. It's the second, 100%, but after:

The 5th gen. The PSOne gave me Crash, Spyro, Tomba, Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider, and so many other awesome games. Some of them I still play and enjoy today. And back in the day, all my friends had the PSOne, and we played a lot together, which is much better!

---

Day 27: Favorite Developer:

I have two: Naughty Dog and Rockstar Games.

Both franchises didn't made a single bad game, at the least the ones I've played. ND did Crash, you know I love it. They also made Jak & Daxter (which I highly enjoyed the Precursor Legacy), Uncharted (all three games are master pieces) and The Last of Us, which I haven't played it yet, but I want to, soon.

Then there's fucking R* Games. They made GTA SA, one of my favorite games ever. Red Dead Redemption, another master piece and one of my favorite games on the PS3. Not to mention GTA III, IV and V, Vice City and Bully. Just like Naughty Dog, they push the console they're working with to its limit, creating vast and detailed worlds. You feel like they did their best at each game, and are getting better at every new one. Sure, sometimes, especially with GTA V, got a little too much, but you can't deny that they worked their asses off on that game.

I also like Neversoft (for the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series), Bandai Namco (DBZ and Naruto games), Ubisoft (Rayman) and obviously, Sonic Team.

---

Day 28: Most Anticipated Game:

GTA V. I talked about this game every day with my friends and brother-in-law who also loves GTA. My hype broke through the sky at each new info, screenshot or trailer. Seriously, I thought it was going to kick San Andreas' ass. I bought it day 1. Aaaand... it wasn't all that, sadly. Yes, it's a great game, and I love it. But like I said some other times, today I enjoy simpler games, like 2D platformers and such. I feel like the games of today are too much bussines before you finally play something, ya know?

Day 28: Most Anticipated Game

illust.jpg

suuuuper....Smaaaash....BROTHEEEEEERS!!! For Wii U/3DS

Yeeeeep, the excitement levels for this game is through the roof for moi. This series is just such an excellent celebration for Nintendo's IPs (and 3rd party co). It's a high octane, free-for-all brawler between gaming's most iconic characters, full of pure fun and joy. And this upcoming game in particular is looking to be one of the best in the franchise. All the info that keeps coming out makes it even more anticipated with each passing day. I cannot wait to play this game, both on the go, and at home. 

Smash Bros 4 

Ive been waiting a long time for this game and I can't wait for it to finally be released. A Smash game being released is always a momentous occasion. And after the Smash Direct and hearing all of the cool features and modes and gameplay options and customization, it's definitely going to be a game that's gonna have a shit load of replay vlue for me. Of course newcomers like Mega Man and Greninja certainly help also.

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

This will get my to buy a 2DS, and after years of waiting it's finally happening. I am dying to see the Hoenn reigon being re-imagined in 3D, it will be like going through my childhood all over again, it's gonna be great.

Day 28: Most Anticipated (cho-cho mother fucker! this train ain't stopping for no one!) Game

ssbb_1.jpg

This was literally the vain of my existence for a good two years. I don't think a day went by without me even thinking about this game. It all started during one of my lunch periods in 5th grade. My friends and I were discussing melee for the thousandth time when one of them said "Hey, did you here about the new one?". We all paused for a couple of seconds until I said "No way man, they're not making another one. Stop messing with us". How foolish I was, I honestly thought he was trying to pull one on us. He insisted that it was real and told us all to look it up when we got home. I jokingly said yes and dismissed it until that night when I was searching the web... but then I found the announcement trailer... that's when the train left the station at full speed with me right on top of it.

Man was the hype for this game insane. I think what really secured it here for me was the Smash Bros. Dojo. Those daily updates gave me a purpose to get out of bed bright and early everyday for those two years XD. Each day was new (well, new to a hype crazy kid) information about a sequel to a game that originally had basically made me a gamer in the first place. It's something I wish more games would do.

Of course, there were the infamous two delays this game had, which did put a damper on my mood for a good week after each announcement, but I think that just built the hype up even more. To this day, this is the only game I've ever attended a midnight launch for. My friends and I got together that Saturday night and played melee in till 11:30. That's when we headed over to the store to pick up our copies. We literally played this game until dawn. It was the first all nighter I've ever spent to be honest. I think what's even more scary about are play session here was that we actually unlocked Sonic that morning. We hadn't even touched Subspace at that point so we either had played a grand total of 300 matches or 10 hours of versus. It must of been the latter. Lucky it was on my console. XD

I kind of talked about this back on Sonic Generations being a bit of a let down after how much I hyped it up. I already used it for two topics, so I don't want to use it again.

I'm actually going to go to a series that I considered for that same Day 13 post, but didn't really know where to go with it. It fits better here, because this was really a game that I was going nuts over, just like a lot of 14-15 year olds at the time.

Modern_Warfare_2_cover.PNG

And why not? Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was one of the most successful first person shooters ever. It was only natural to believe that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 would improve upon its predecessor and become one of the greatest games of all time. A  month after the previous installment of the series was released, it was announced that the next CoD game would be a continuation of the first Modern Warfare game. Although not officially announced until February, the hype train was already starting. Would the multiplayer be improved upon? Would Zombies make a return in a non-Treyarch game? No one was quite sure what would happen, but everyone was certain about one thing: this could be one of the greatest games ever seen.

And then this:

As a 14 year old, this was one of the most exciting things I had ever seen. Not only was the main character from the first Modern Warfare returning, but were so many additional things added. Riding snow mobiles, the heartbeat sensor, and all of the new guns. There was no doubt in my mind that this was going to be the best game ever. Now all we had to do was wait. That summer I followed that game religiously, watching every trailer, screenshot, and analysis video that I could find to get as much information on the game.

Fast forward to about a week before the game released. A kid in my school got the game early and was bragging to everyone how great it was and how much fun he was having with it. He was letting some of his friends play it with him and all they talked about was how great it was. Of course, I wasn't one of the ones to play the game, and just hearing how awesome it was made me want to get it even more. It was only a week away and I had waited so long, but it became more and more difficult as more and more people got to play it.

I remember having one conversation with a kid during football practice the day before it came out. He just went on and on about how amazing it was going to be, and how he was thinking of taking the day off from school so he could play it all day. He wasn't the only one; I remember about half of my biology class being absent the next day, all staying home so they could play the new Call of Duty.

To this date, I can't really think of another game that I anticipated as much as Modern Warfare 2. I started to lose interest with the series after the next installment came out (Black Ops) and the only other game that came close was Sonic Generations after that. It was mostly just a time thing; I was at the peak of my Call of Duty interest and Modern Warfare 2 came out at the perfect time.

. . .

20140226233048!Legend_of_Zelda_Skyward_S

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Oh, to be young and naive again. Would you believe that this was the first game in my most favorite series that I was old enough to anticipate and buy on my own? Would you believe that I avoided every last spoiler because I wanted a completely fresh outlook on this new adventure? Would you believe I saw the number of 9's and 10's rising and expected this game to be one of the best in the series?

I don't say many things have "killed my childhood," A) because that's a silly phrase and cool.png because I think it's rather overblown, but if any game has a claim to that spot, it's this one right here. I turned off the console after that final battle and just... stared. It was a disappointment unmatched by any other game, even as I got older and played much worse ones. There's not even anything in me for some big angry rant or whatever.

I don't think I have it in me to hope for another game much anymore. Not like I once did. For that honor, Skyward Sword is my pick of the day.

Runners Up:

• Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Super Mario Galaxy

I was gonna try to come back from days of being busy and make up what I haven't been doing, but sadly that's just too much. Basically I'll briefly explain each thing.

Favorite song: Dearly Beloved

It's peaceful, moving and empowering with each version that is released. It never disappoints.

Favorite controller: Dualshock 3 or 4

I've always found myself at home with a Playstation controller. They just feel so natural and pleasing to me. The button layout, the joysticks, the D-pad, I love it all!  Not that, gamecube isn't good, I just prefer something more...standard I guess lol. Gamecube would be my second though.

Least favorite character

I'm gonna have to say Lightning. I could type a page on why she is posterboy "bad Square character", but I'll quickly explain my beef with her: Boring and soulless. She just comes off as uncaring throughout the trilogy, like she doesn't give a crap about anything going on. She says the same stuff over and over, and her basically narrating the entire series gets rather annoying as well. 13-3 took it a step further, and "deprived"(lol) purposely any soul she had. Her being shoehorned into everything, doesn't exactly make her appealing to me either.

Favorite Generation: Gotta go 6th

That was when gaming really became a thing in my life. Sure I played before, but never really appreciated or found myself engaged in it. I got into Kingdom Hearts, I played Smash Bros with friends, Windwaker, Sly Cooper, the list goes on! Many of the franchises I love today came from that era.

Favorite Developer: Nintendo

I was gonna say Wayforward, but I've been with Nintendo much longer and have played much more of that library compared to them. But yeah, Nintendo is my favorite developer. They take pride in their work much of the time despite my views on the games they may have, and i do appreciate that. I love many of their franchises as I've said before, and I grew up as a Nintendo guy first! Runner ups would be Wayforward, Naughty Dog and 343 Industries.

And now we get to the present!

DAY 28: Most Anticipated Game

Kingdom_Hearts_III_Logo.PNG

Yeah that shouldn't be a surprise. 

Kingdom Hearts began 2002 and finally after 12 years the series is beginning to finally move on to the 3rd major installment. This series has really been a part of my life. I've been a devoted fan no matter what has happened, and I've really appreciated what this series has had to bring to the gaming world. It captured the hearts(no pun intended) of millions, and opened up our minds to the possibilities.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is no exception. When I saw this trailer, I literally almost cried. And I'm not ashamed of that. I felt like a kid once again, first feeling that magic that encaptured me when I first played this series.

With the new graphics engine and updated KH2/3D/BBS(?) gameplay, fans are eager to see what the 3rd installment has. Nomura is pouring his soul into 2 games(XV and this), and has a lot of ground to cover, and expectations to adhere to. But he is trying his darndest to please as many as possible. There's a lot to look forward to with this entry: Worlds that will be included, music, multiplayer maybe, how the story will finally conclude(well the Xehanort Saga anyway). There's a ton of potential for this game, and fans and non-fans even can see that.

We're in for a treat, and even though it may not be out for a long time, the excitement is still there. This game really did deserve the applause and hype that it garnered from that one trailer no one expected on that E3 day.

I'm ready.

Just going with the first couple that came to mind. Was also going to mention some of the games that I'd been quite excited about in the past, but don't really have the time to do that right now. This is also going to be quite a brief post for the same reason.

RmVCtOE.jpg

I've spoken about Banjo-Kazooie in this topic a few times, so I'm sure it goes without saying that A Hat in Time is just my kind of game. It looks like a perfect spiritual successor to the ol' collectathons from the N64 area and as someone who misses games like that, I'm quite excited to get to play it. Also love the quirky character designs and it looks like it'll also be quite a hilarious game. Just sad that I never got around to backing it while the Kickstarter was still active.

MeMA1PJ.jpg

The Batman games by Rocksteady are some of my favourites of all time, so I'm pretty hyped for this. Not actually got around to picking up Origins yet, but I didn't like a lot of the things I had heard about it and I don't think it was the new Batman game I had been waiting for. So I'm glad to see Rocksteady getting involved with things again with this and will definitely be grabbing it right away.

s1GtFkv.jpg

Both of the previous Dragon Age games were some of the most immersive that I've played in years and I absolutely adore them, so quite excited to see what direction they're going to take things in with Inquisition. It's looking quite gorgeous so far and I'm quite interested in the upgraded character interaction mechanics and getting to explore the new environments.

Bayonetta 2 would have also made the list, but... Wii U. Boo.

pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire-main-1

Finally the generation 3 remakes are here. It's been, what, over a decade already? Well I'm ready to see what a decade of improvement is gonna do to my first and favorite generation. I really, really want to see how they redo and possibly improve things like Pokemon Contests, Secret Bases, and all that good stuff. Plus, it's all gonna be in 3D, can't wait to see that.

Other than that, runner up is new Smash Bros. because it's a new Smash Bros. for crying out loud.

Day 28 - Most Anticipated Game:  

Sorry I was gone for long time, but here I am... I got a couple of games to show my anticipation for:

CUK5BEW.png 

I know I was really foward to Pokémon XY when it was first announced a year ago, but when Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire was recently announced, it completely blew that out of the water for me in terms of anticipation for a Pokémon game. I loved playing RSE and after HGSS; I've been waiting for them to have us finally revisit Hoenn. It's finally arrived and my dream has come true. Now that it's finally happening and with what we barely as of now, I tell we're going to get delicious trailers and scan images.

LKWyXxm.jpg 

Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii-U is one the most anticipated games for, because of how more fast paced the combat is compared to Brawl, it has more of visual flair too it, interesting modes to try out and definitely looking forward to hearing the remixes too.

Day 28: Most anticipated game

sonic-lost-world-title-screen-and-logo.j

As I've said before, I've only been in the console gaming community for five years, and for the internet, only three. This doesn't leave a lot of games for me, as a result, and they probably won't be half as hyped as the games I'll truly anticipate in the future.

But for now, it's humble little Sonic Lost World who will be filling these boots today.

See, when I first heard of games on the internet before they released, I would get excited, but then the hype quickly died down with the lack of news or attention from the media. Not so with Lost World. I joined the SEGA forums and lurked around SSMB after Generations released, so I never knew how it felt to experience pre-release hype with your fellow users until this game was unveiled. Sure, there were some sourpusses and naysayers, but the feeling of anticipating a video game with other people who have similar interests far outweighed their cries of gloom and doom. Speculating, posting news, and sharing opinions with everyone was just so fun to do, my hype levels never went down. When it finally released, a lot of people did flip on their original opinions, though, and while it did cause my hype to waver for a bit, I still looked forward to actually trying it out myself. And while it didn't do well in areas that I never cared about in the first place, my hype was overall met with resounding satisfaction. The sense of community really kept my anticipation strong, and to this day is the only game to have stayed in my sights for more than just a month.

Oh yeah, and there was also this part about the game using my ideal Sonic gameplay and art style, but that's another story.

Day 28: Complete

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic_Boom_Tv_logo_zps9ed8a5e0.pngsonic_generations_logo_by_xxjjamyxx-d5o1Sonic_Lost_World_logo-300x183.pngWiiU-3DS_SmashBros_logo01_E3_zps5576d2d1

Above are my most anticipated games to date, especially Sonic Boom and Smash Bros 4. When Sonic Generations first announced, I was surely hyped because of Sonic's 20th anniversary, there being 2 playable Sonics, and remastered levels from previous Sonic games. All those put together and in HD surely hyped me with much anticipation. So much, for that matter, that I ended up streaming a live play through on the midnight release. I did, however, meet some cool people in the stream chat, one who I became good friends with here on SSMB since the game's release.

For Sonic Lost World, it was one reason why I went out and bought a Wii U, the others being a precaution for any new Sonic titles that may launch on it and the console was bundled with The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD and the gamepad had an awesome design on it.

Lo and behold, Sonic Boom is going to be that next Sonic title on the Wii U. From what I, and the rest of us here have seen so far about Sonic Boom, I cannot wait to get my hands on it. And the fact that it has been in development for so long and seeing all the effort put into it, it has to be good.

Ever since Brawl has been out for a good while and hearing rumors that a new Smash Bros was being made, I was so hyped. Seeing the latest roster and trailer for Super Shash Bros 4 is absolutely mind blowing, I honestly cannot wait to play both versions and I'm sure many of us here are as well. My hype levels are off the charts for this game, and seeing that it is already listed on Gamestop's website, I'm definitely preordering both versions ASAP.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually fell asleep on accident a little while ago. It's a good thing I woke up about the time I usually write these.

Most Anticipated Game: Super Smash Bros for Wii U.

logo-sb-wii.png

Who doesn't love Smash Bros.? Well, I mean, I'm sure there are some people. For the purposes of this answer they don't count.

Smash Bros. is a cool series. A massive crossover featuring a bunch of iconic video game characters (some lesser known characters too). It's got simple, fun gameplay that my family, and friends who haven't really played many fighting games games can still pick up quickly. Good soundtrack, appealing visuals (well, maybe not for Brawl...), and it's always so easy to just pick up and play.

I'm especially excited that the character I wanted the most to get in, Mega Man, was finally added to the roster. Awesome.Yeah, great series, and looking forward to the next installment. Even if the title is stupid and unimaginative.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles

I've pretty much said it already at this point. I'm a huge Resident Evil fan so the idea of a playable-movie-like game had me hyped beyond belief. I really like Rail Shooters and on top of that, I loved the cinematic look of the game and how it was shaping up. Now just add the fact that the composer for this game was the same one who worked on DEATH NOTE, my absolute favorite anime of all time (before I discovered Neon Genesis Evangelion) and I was pretty much sold.

I usually don't buy Rail Shooters at full price because you can usually beat them in like an hour or so despite being extremely replayable, but this one was definitely worth it for me. I love the story and presentation so much I've gone through the entire thing multiple times alone, along with my friends, and even with my dad too (the entire game averages around 10-15 hours long, which is a lot for a Rail Shooter actually). I have over 70 hours dumped into this game, definitely worth it to me. smile.png

Runner up:

BACK TO BAAAAAAACK!

DEATH COMES-A RIDIN' ON THE MIDNIGHT TRAIIIN!!!

You know what I love a whole lot besides Resi? Guilty Gear, and this trailer put me into hype-overdrive mode when I first saw it. I was completely ready to pre-order this beast.

aaaaaaaaand.... then I found out it's only going to be on PS3/PS4 and I don't have any of those systems and I'm really sad that I won't be able to play it for a long time unless I can somehow find and snag a PS3 for a cheap price since we can't really afford another console right now. Also aside from the trailer's amazing song, the rest of the soundtrack sounds extremely disappointing compared to GGXX so far too. Daisuke Ishiwatari what happened?? D:

Guilty Gear Xrd#Reload better be multiplatform I swear to Ky

Previously on Day 27:

NEXT TIME ON DAY 29: CAN GOLDENLINK64 SAY THE THINGS THAT MUST BE SAID IN THE TOPIC ABOUT THINGS? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DAY 29... BALL Z!!! 

• Thumbs Up 2

My most anticipated game right now? Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is probably it. I'm excited for Mega Man and any possible Donkey Kong Country characters, but beyond that I'm fine with the character choices. What I'm truly excited for is the new music and stages. I really hope they get a ton of composers on board like they did with Brawl.

I'm also excited for Tomodachi Life and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.

Woop, almost forgot about today.

Day 28: Metal Gear Rising: Revengence

metal-gear-rising-revengeance-was-cancel

I have a tendency to avoid hype. I'm always cautiously optimistic but I rarely follow a game through its development because I like to be surprised. But when I saw the first Revengence trailer, I threw that out the window because what followed was the best possible kind of emotional rollercoaster for a game's development, which I will now convey in a hamfisted allegorical dialogue.

KONAMI: Here's Metal Gear Solid Rising, a new take on the action genre.

ME: Sweet... so is it ever coming out?

KONAMI: Huh? No, it's a bust.

ME: Aww...

KONAMI: So... we brought Platinum Games on board!

ME: Holy shit, that is literally the best possible thing you could have done!

KONAMI: Here's a demo where you fight a robot chainsaw dog.

ME: I already played it twenty times before you finished that sentence.

KONAMI: And have a video of Raiden vivisecting a Metal Gear RAY.

ME: You don't know how hard I am right now. Seriously, call a doctor.

KONAMI: Oh and while we're at it, do you want an electric plasma lamp with Raiden's sword in it?

ME: Fuck yeah, I want an electric plasma lamp with Raiden's sword in it!

Seriously, getting Platinum Games to fix your character action game? That's like hearing Valve teamed up with Retro Studios to finish Half-Life 3. I've never had more fun getting hyped for a game.

Day 28: Most anticipated game

Nowadays I like to refrain from being too excited about a game.  They've mostly just ended up in disappointment *cough* sonic *cough*

Right now I'm only anticipating Smash 4 and Hyrule Warriors. Smash 4 has a great roster so far and the 3DS version is coming out this summer! I'm excited for Hyrule Warriors because its an interesting spin on the Zelda franchise. In the past I've been excite about Sonic games, but the only two that really satisfied me were Colours and Gens. I've also anticipated every single Pokemon game and Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Man, Sonic Heroes was so fucking cash in as 2003 wore on. It was the last Sonic game that the gaming media really gave the level attention to that they did the classic titles (probably because... um... it ended up being Sonic Heroes). Magazines gave cover stories with 6-10 page spreads detailing the game mechanics and graphic style and interviews and such from the game. They talked up how big the game was going to be as the first title in the series to truly be multiplatform; and there was still massive hype left over from Adventure 2. Even the disastrous Adventure DX couldn't put a damper on things.

So much praise. So much hype. And Sega pulled out all the stops. Sonic X was basically just a small part of a huge advertising effort, all of which pushed towards raising back awareness in the Sonic franchise. The game itself didn't really live up to the hype, obviously; but oh man, what a ride.

• Thumbs Up 1

The past generation of video games has left us with so many incredible games, all showing ambitious projects and experiences possible in their respective consoles. With the leap taken to the next generation thanks to the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4, we may expect even more ambitious projects only possible in these three consoles as well as the 3DS and PS Vita in the handheld category. So far the list of upcoming games for these consoles is starting to increase with more interesting titles which may gather the attention of gamers and therefore place 'em as their most anticipated games of the year.

This time I am going straight into my most anticipated title of the year while giving my close second game and a couple of other choices afterwards. First off, my most anticipated game of the year goes to...

24323708.png

X

First off, I would like to mention my past experience with Xenoblade Chronicles, a game that I absolutely enjoyed every single minute of it and which is still regarded to me as one of the best (if not THE best) J-RPG of the past generation of consoles. Monolith Soft made an outstanding job on creating an immersive open world thanks to its extensive maps and areas to explore as well as all the monsters they all populate in, a dynamic and fun combat system, lots of sidequests, tasks and achievements to complete, all while enjoying possibly one of the most engaging stories seen in recent J-RPG history. All in all, Xenoblade Chronicles was an incredible experience only possible thanks to the fantastic talent behind Monolith Soft, and all I wished to see was more from these guys in future projects under Nintendo's flagship.

Lo and behold, X was announced on a Nintendo Direct back in January 2013 and I was absolutely amazed at how the project looked like at the time. The idea of a Xenoblade like experience taken to a whole new level in an even more open world and played online was pretty much what I asked for at the time, and I was glad to see the steps taken by Monolith Soft were the indeed the correct ones. Since that day, X became my number one most anticipated title not only on the Wii U but in my general list of upcoming video games; the more I saw from the trailers back on E3 2013 and the Nintendo Direct in Februrary 2014, the more hyped I am for this upcoming masterpiece, and I cannot wait for the next couple of weeks until E3 2014 to hear more about the game. =)

While X is my most anticipated title for 2014, there is another game I am absolutely looking forward to enjoy this year and is a really close second to me. That game is...

640px-Super_Smash_Bros_4_merged_logo%2C_

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS / Wii U

Cannot say no to what's going to be the brawler of the year indeed. From the character roster to the stage selection, from the game modes announced so far to the different features implemented, this entry in the Super Smash Bros series is shaping up to become the best one, or that's what promises to be at least! Words cannot describe how hyped I am for this game as well, being the 3DS version the one to look forward first and foremost while patiently waiting for the even bigger experience on the Wii U version. Just like with X, I cannot wait until E3 to hear more about this game. =)

Other games I am looking forward to play this year include Project Cars, Destiny, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, and hopefully more games such as Yarn Yoshi or Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem will make their way for a 2014 release.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 29 - Favorite Overall Cast

mgs1.jpg

MGS1

It's hard to say why I love the cast of this game so much without going into spoilery territory, but despite being a huge fan of games with some absolutely stellar characters like Persona, Kid Icarus, NieR, and even the other Metal Gear games... there's just something special that MGS1 has that hasn't been matched by any other Metal Gear game, and I'd be surprised to hear someone tell me they liked Dead Cell or the Cobra Unit more than FOXHOUND.

The characters you're supposed to like are likeable, the enemies are ominous and intimidating and all have interesting personality quirks and backstories.

There's nothing I'd change about the characters in MGS1. They're seriously all wonderful.

and THAT is the last time I talk about Metal Gear for this event

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pull the Sanic card again:

most-popular-sonic-characters-sonic-hero

Yeah, we've all heard it a million times - "lawl sonic's shitty friends" and so on. They're the Grand Universal Punchline to all jokes pertaining to loads and loads of characters. They're often #1 on many a video game website's "10 Characters We Want To Nuke From Orbit" list.

But for the most part, they don't really deserve it.

The main problem with them is less that they exist and more that they're not written well and, for a long time, took some of the focus off of Sonic, ultimately culminating into You Know What where Sonic was largely unimportant in his own game. Following that, their problem's done a 180 - now they no longer take the focus off Sonic, but they pretty much get no focus at all! And it's a shame, 'cause it's got so many good characters - Omega, Blaze, Amy, Eggman, Rouge...

I really hope that Boom is the first step towards Sonic Team telling the character detractors who claim that them getting focus at all is a sin where to stick it and make this colourful (literally) cast relevant again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most anticipated game - X

Monolith Soft seems to be the new Square Enix. They're taking the genre of JRPG and setting new standards. They're also the go to Dev team for high quality gameplay.

As a sequel to Xenoblade, we've seen the new path JRPG can take. Open fields, new battle mechanics, in depth characters, non-stupid plot, etc.

Xenoblade was probably the best game I've ever played. X seems to take that to a new level and improves. I honestly can't wait to play it.

Day 27 - Favorite developer

While Monolith Soft is great, I still prefer Nintendo. All their games have a high level of polish and care unlike no other. Most of their games also release bug free. A lot of devs these days are pushing out games that are full of bugs and glitches that get patched over time. You don't get that with Nintendo. You get the full package day 1.

Nintendo also seems to focus on the big aspect of fun. Sure the graphics aren't state of the art, but that's not really important. What makes up for it too is the gorgeous art styles Nintendo deploys in their games. So many people have said Mario Kart 8 and 3D World are one of the best looking games for 'next gen'. It's definitely not the polygons on screen, it's the style that is used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I judge a cast, I usually judge it not by how many characters I like, but moreso how many characters piss me off.

With that said, it's hard for me to find drastic negatives on cast members from Tales of the Abyss.

tumblr_motfz83kSX1r1bz0wo1_400.jpg

"I swear, I play this for the plot!"

But really, Tales of the Abyss has the most solid cast variety, overall character development, and purposeful inclusions the Tales series has ever had.

And also it doesn't pull any punches with characterization. When they're bad, they're fucking awful, and when they're good, they're amazing. Luke goes from the biggest detestable piece of shit in existence to a kind person who puts others before himselves, Jade goes from an asshole who doesn't mind killing people to an asshole that is more considerate of others. Etc.

It also has really great character interaction as a whole. All of your party members have ties to each other unlike pretty much every JRPG I can think of.

<3

This one was pretty easy. My favorite overall cast is the one from...

10r7ple.jpg

The World Ends With You

I already went into how the sheer strength of this game's cast carries its entire narrative when I chose it for my favorite story, so I won't waste your time repeating myself too much here. However, I WILL restate the main reason why I love the characters so much: Their individual personalities (From anti-social Neku to enigmatic Joshua) and general likeability gel so well together that you just can't help but root for them all the way through their crazy adventure and hope that they'll turn out okay despite it not looking so hot. Plus, it's not just the good guys. The Reapers themselves also have very unique personas that could've just as easily been reduced to "BRRRRRRR, WE REAPERZ! WE KEEL!" and it's quite entertaining to see their different strategies for taking down Neku and company. (I loved the guy who made nothing but food and cooking references. XD) This was definitely a game where I was immediately questioning the motive of every new character introduced and to be so engaged in a story to want to do that is such a great feeling.

• Thumbs Up 2