Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

The 30 Days of Sonic completely escaped me so I'm gonna try and be more vigilant if I can (need to make it to at least 10... can't be doing with an Xbox logo on my profile, what kinda sick punishment for only reaching 5 is that!?)

Guess I'll try and go for ones that aren't so obvious, though I will state the obvious ones first.

So actual answer would be Super Mario Bros. 2.  My first ever video game, still one of my faves, of course it's super nostalgic.  Sonic 2 8-bit in second place, then Mario 64.  However I'm gonna talk about...

ne06e.jpg

What makes this extra nostalgic in a unique way for me is 1. It's not really a very good game.  It's mediocre at best.  As I grew older, partly due to that and partly due to the cartridge becoming unstable, I didn't continue to play this on a regular basis like I did with Mario 2, 64 and Sonic 2 8-bit.  So I still connect it to childhood greatly for that reason.

Also, the fact that the entire game is set in and around various seaside locations, also made me connect it to my childhood greatly, since I grew up in a town by the sea and, even when I moved away due to my parents' divorce, my Master System was at my Dad's house so I only ever played this game while visiting him by the sea.  As such I always projected my childhood seaside experiences onto the game - imagined the beach level as being MY beach, the docks level as being MY docks, etc etc.

I had the Master System version, as you can guess from my choice of box art, so, for anyone who also has memories of this game, it's worth mentioning that I didn't have the train level in mine - it was pretty much exclusively seaside based aside from that one odd laboratory level that kind of comes out of nowhere.

For more grown-up nostalgia, Phantasy Star Online makes me rather nostalgic of late high school, Sonic Unleashed, Dead Rising and Smash Bros Brawl make me nostalgic for University, and Left 4 Dead makes me nostalgic for post-University.  PSO and L4D are extra sad nostalgic inducing because I played these with particular friends who aren't around anymore - I still play them but it ain't the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

• This isn't actually a rule that will be enforced, but merely a suggestion. We're all Sonic fans here, but if possible, try to avoid using Sonic as your answer. We all already know about our favorite Sonic games and moments, so it'd be a lot more fun to get some new and unique perspectives on different games that we may not be as knowledgeable about. If you really can't think of anything else, that's fine, but it'd be nice if we could have as little Sonic stuff as possible. 

How did I miss this bullet point.

Okay.

Uh.

Pok%C3%A9mon_box_art_-_Red_Version.jpg

Pokemon Red was fun. Played it a ton as a kid. Bulbasaur was my starter. Memories~

So yeah, Pokemon was the first non-Sonic game that totally engrossed me. I mean I did enjoy Mario a fair bit, but never to the level that I loved Sonic. Then Pokemon comes along and blows my mind. I gave into the hype and got lost in Kanto like the other American 10 year olds in 1998.

Music always hits me with a nostalgic wave of feels

But as I said in the Sonic Adventure entry, in order for it to be nostalgic, it has to carry a special meaning that can only be experienced at the time and place, within my memories. I honestly can't get back into the older games because the newer ones have improved and expanded on the formula so much. Also, the timing was important. Pokemon was a new thing. The game came out at the same time as the show and the trading card game, as well as the manga and comics... and then the movie soon after... so experiencing the entire franchise in one blow for the first time is an experience that cannot be recreated. 

That was definitely a nostalgic game. All of Pokemon in the late 90s/early 00s, really. I actually like Gold and Silver better than Red and Blue, but it doesn't have quite the same "first time" edge as the originals. 

Sugimori-Pokemon-2nd-Female-Rival.png

Gotta catch 'em all

in yer memoriez

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 1: Most nostalgic game

Please don't hit me with a bus, but:

600full-super-mario-sunshine-cover.jpg

Super Mario Sunshine. This game was one of the first GameCube games I ever owned and it introduced me to the world of Mario. I remember it like it was yesterday. I first received this game on my birthday from my dad. I popped the game in and I was quite honestly, blown away. Everything that impressed me, impresses me to this day. The beautiful, colourful graphics, the catchy music, the voice acting even. Yes, I'm one of those people that actually liked voice acting in my Mario games. Too bad future games barely have any. But maybe that's just nostalgia talking. After all, this is my most nostalgic game.

Now I'll be honest, I never completed this game 100%. I find the game to be a bit too hard at times, but nevertheless I still enjoy the challenge this game brought. As I was used to very easy games at the time, this game was a bit of a surprise with the challenge, but I liked it. I still play this game religiously every summer on my still working GameCube. What can I say? This game holds a special place in my heart. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 1- Most Nostalgic Game

Coming from a family that played games relatively often, I have a lot of potential choices that I don't think I can determine for sure which is the "most" nostalic: Duck Hunt, Super Mario World, Sonic 1 and 3, Doom, Duke Nukem, Unreal Tournament, Pokemon Gold and Silver, Sonic Adventure, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Road Rash, Jet Moto, Virtua Cop, Alien Storm, the Donkey Kong Country series, the first Halo-- these are all games that hold extremely intense memories for me, mainly because I played them so much with family and friends, played them at specific times in my life such as tournaments in school, I remember the hype surrounding them and the game living up to it, or because I still retain slight memories even as a baby and toddler of watching and playing these games. But in my overslept-induced stupor, my mind is pushing me to one specific game right now:

logo.gif

Me and my brother, strangely enough, contend that this is the best 3D platformer of all time. Mario 64 set the stage, and Sonic took that stage in an appealingly grandoise direction, but Crash? Crash had a spirit of duality. He was extremely simple: without any continuously-present story or any large overworlds, you were charged with just running in a straight line to get the apples Wumpa fruit and break the crates with this silent but endearingly-optimistic orange bandicoot....

But this shit was so fucking hard, oh my god. An intimate knowledge of the game's mechanics and physics allowed the designers to place enemies and platforms in a way that required both trust in them and practice on your own. Everything was possible to reach, but you had to know how to wait for your chance, then slide, launch, rebound, and double-jump in just the right way to earn your stripes. The margin for error was relatively small but the game was nonetheless addicting, even as a young kid where I never would've had the patience for such a game otherwise. In fact, this game probably taught me those things: patience within practice, that failing is a way to see what you did wrong rather than a game trying to screw you over. And this is just the normal game; post-game collection and time trials somehow upped the difficulty even more. Rounding everything out were easier affairs to round out the main game like bike races and animal rides, along with a kick-ass soundtrack that everyone in my family can remember.

Although, now that I think about it, If I had to pin the source of the entire philosophy towards what I like in Sonic games and platformers as a whole on a source- why they need to be hard-as-nails, why I can put up with small margins of errors, why I don't consider linearity a flaw versus a design choice, and why I don't mind different gameplay mechanics like vehicles and the like- it really all comes from the infinite love towards Crash Bandicoot 3, again the greatest 3D platformer of all time, the first game I played so much that I wore the disc down to the point that l couldn't play anymore, my very liege.

Crashdance.gif

Keep on dancin' Crash.

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 1: My Most Nostalgic Game

Oooohhh... This is gonna be tough.

I think I'll go with...

Spyro_the_Dragon.jpg

My very first game! Many years ago, when I was but a wee lad engrossed in toys and cartoons, my father surprised me with a PlayStation, and I got to pick my own game. I saw this little gem, and I knew it was the game for me! I was instantly hooked- running around, headbutting and roasting baddies (and sheep), flying through bonus levels, and collecting every last gem I could find! Unfortunately, I never got past the Beast Makers world because it looked too spooky, and I was too afraid to delve into any of the levels. (I was like five. Gimmie a break.) 

I still love Spyro, especially since he introduced me to my greatest passion: gaming. Even though I haven't played any of his games in the past decade (I really should look into Skylanders), I'll never forget my endeavors with the little guy.

diddy-kong-racing.518490.jpg

This game is shit, er I mean...is the shit lol

Man this game was just really fun and the track designs were really fair and simple but very fun. Me and my bro played this game like no tomorrow, we would face each other off so many times, it had a fair amount of tracks, which was really good and the story mode was very good. 

One of my favourite parts of the game was the boss races.

http://youtu.be/aRv7CJnInfg

Most of these guys were so damn hard

1:34 - This boss was always faster than you. You have to use the power ups to slow him down. Either use the red power ups to slow him down or get the blue power ups to catch up to him. This guy in the video did it so slick, last minute comeback. I sucked, even coming back to this game last year, I still got my ass left in his snowy dust.

2:49 - This guy was also hard. He would always be dropping those damn bubbles that holds you for a bit. I wasn't the best hovercraft driver so it was also pretty hard for me.

6:27 - .............. My god, this was the most difficult shit I faced. This guy was faster than you, and thank god for booster because those are your ticket to winning this race. Sometimes were he got to close, I would go in front of him and he would be kicking me up thus keeping me in 1st for a bit until he starts flying or some shit. The tactic on this boss took FOREVER for me to figure out. So the speed boosters gives you some speed to catch up. But there was a way to use the speed booster to make you go even faster. The way to do it is to let go of the driving button. as soon as your behind the booster, let go of the button and just move onto it. The fire would be green if you did it right and it would be fire if you didn't do it right and its a BIG difference in this boss race based on the track design. Is it weird I beat this boss when I was around 5 years old? At least I think I was 5 when I played it.

8:10 - In this race he was much easier this time around. I was really good at controlling the plane in this game. 

Every boss you had to race two times and the second time the boss would do something a bit different like rearranging the power ups or spawn more bubbles or more hazards, The second felt a bit easy because you already knew the tactic and the tactic was pretty much the same so it wasn't frustrating  that much.

The music in this game is memorable, Loved them.

And this one is my favourite. Can't get enough of this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGbTrOiJco8&list=PL6akIKaXBeU06RcATH0dd6d1CWEIwpcx2&feature=share&index=18

And the race track was fun too. It was one of the secret space levels. It took awhile for me to unlocking them but I had some much joy finding out there was 4 more tracks, YAY! and the tracks were super fun. I guess thats why its called future fun land.

So yea this game  is very nostalgic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Coming from a family that played games relatively often, I have a lot of potential choices that I don't think I can determine for sure which is the "most" nostalic: Duck Hunt, Super Mario World, Sonic 1 and 3, Doom, Duke Nukem, Unreal Tournament, Pokemon Gold and Silver, Sonic Adventure, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Road Rash, Jet Moto, Virtua Cop, Alien Storm, the Donkey Kong Country series, the first Halo-- these are all games that hold extremely intense memories for me, mainly because I played them so much with family and friends, played them at specific times in my life such as tournaments in school, I remember the hype surrounding them and the game living up to it, or because I still retain slight memories even as a baby and toddler of watching and playing these games. But in my overslept-induced stupor, my mind is pushing me to one specific game right now:

logo.gif

Me and my brother, strangely enough, contend that this is the best 3D platformer of all time. Mario 64 set the stage, and Sonic took that stage in an appealingly grandoise direction, but Crash? Crash had a spirit of duality. He was extremely simple: without any continuously-present story or any large overworlds, you were charged with just running in a straight line to get the apples Wumpa fruit and break the crates with this silent but endearingly-optimistic orange bandicoot....

But this shit was so fucking hard, oh my god. An intimate knowledge of the game's mechanics and physics allowed the designers to place enemies and platforms in a way that required both trust in them and practice on your own. Everything was possible to reach, but you had to know how to wait for your chance, then slide, launch, rebound, and double-jump in just the right way to earn your stripes. The margin for error was relatively small but the game was nonetheless addicting, even as a young kid where I never would've had the patience for such a game otherwise. In fact, this game probably taught me those things: patience within practice, that failing is a way to see what you did wrong rather than a game trying to screw you over. And this is just the normal game; post-game collection and time trials somehow upped the difficulty even more. Rounding everything out were easier affairs to round out the main game like bike races and animal rides, along with a kick-ass soundtrack that everyone in my family can remember.

Although, now that I think about it, If I had to pin the source of the entire philosophy towards what I like in Sonic games and platformers as a whole on a source- why they need to be hard-as-nails, why I can put up with small margins of errors, why I don't consider linearity a flaw versus a design choice, and why I don't mind different gameplay mechanics like vehicles and the like- it really all comes from the infinite love towards Crash Bandicoot 3, again the greatest platformer of all time, the first game I played so much that I wore the disc down to the point that l couldn't play anymore, my very liege.

Crashdance.gif

Keep on dancin' Crash.

Heh, I actually can't remember for the life of me if I beat this game or not as a kid. I can vaguely recall the appearance of the Warp Room in Crash 2, but I also remember fighting Cortex while Aku Aku and Uka Uka were firing face beams at each other... which was in Crash 3...? I dunno, lol.

What you described in your last two paragraphs sounds a lot like Super Meat Boy. If you haven't played that, I'd absolutely recommend it. :)

Day 1-Most Nostalgic Game:

It's kind of a toss up between Pokemon Blue and a certain other game, but after seeing several other people mention Blue/Red (there's also the fact that I'm not too invested in Pokemon anymore, nostalgic as it may be), I'm gonna go with...

500px-Banjokazooie.png

Banjo-Kazooie has a wonderful and whimsical atmosphere with memorable characters filled with charm, and the game never gets dull. In one level you'll be swimming through the innards of a mechanical fish, and in the next you might be sliding down the scarf of a giant snowman or finding worms to feed to a giant baby eagle. I remember thinking the game felt absolutely huge, and while it's not as big as my eight year old mind thought it was, I can still see why I got that impression. There's just so much diversity and creativity on display here.

There are two reasons I call this my most nostalgic game, the most obvious being that I have a lot of fond memories of it. I never actually owned it, sadly, but all my friends had it and I'd constantly borrow it from them or rent it from Blockbuster. I did at least get to own Banjo-Tooie, and while I might actually call it the technically better game, I prefer the light-hearted whimsy of the original. The second reason is, looking at it today, I'm reminded of ALL the 3D platforming games of the late 90's. Spyro, Crash, Sonic Adventure, Mario 64, I have great memories of all of them. It's not that the game really resembles any of those (well...except Mario 64, duh), it's just that whenever I play it, I feel like I'm being taken back to a time when those games were still popular. Like I'm a kid again. I can easily remember what lines used to make me bust up and what levels used to scare the heck out of me. My inner child comes fully back to life whenever I play Banjo-Kazooie.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dawn of the First Day - Your Most Nostalgic Game

Oh, boy, if there's anything I remember the most, it's playing these particular paired versions at three years old (that's right):

red-blue.jpg

Yeah, like a lot of people here, I grew up playing Pokémon games. I remember this one night on December of 1999 in Hong Kong when I got a multicart (HAHAHAH) which had these two games on it. I booted one up (Red more than Blue, BTW), and BAM! I was hooked! Although I would start a new game every time I loaded RB up, I would always have fun exploring even just Route 1 and Pallet Town more than anywhere else. Although, I would admit that I didn't know what to do with battles so it was always the objective to 'get away safely' for me! This routine would continue until this electric rat had showed up on my Game Boy Color screen:

Pokemon_Yellow.png

Yeah, it took me until five years of age to understand battles, even though all I did was just spam Tackle so that I could get on with exploring the region of Kanto. This is why I got into the Pokémon franchise--being able to venture a sprawling overworld where you could make your mark with the use of six or more creatures that you've trained! You would then go explore the real world searching for more people who have played what you've played and start talking about what you both would love to do! Exploration like this leads to friendship, simply put, and I'm very glad Pokémon gave me a groundwork through which I could create lifelong relationships.

Pokémon had taught me that we're meant to be there for each other, in the sense that we care for and help each other grow as we live our lives. Which, incidentally, influenced my beliefs--we're there for other people. Everyone has an equal opportunity to express themselves through their own special way through which they can bridge gaps and make the world a smaller place, in this case, through trading and battling.  As a result, I care very much for everyone to the point where taking a bullet for my friends (who I believe in talking to and sticking to everyday) becomes second nature. I'm very proud to say that Pokémon made me the person I am today!

Heck, my college essays (yes, all but one of them) have this running nostalgia and idea of friendship through self-expression, unity and camaraderie as their recurrent themes. But one thing's for sure, if I can sum up what I feel like about the Pokémon franchise, I can say it in these eight words:

You teach me, and I teach you! POKÉMOOOOOOOON!

I'm glad I was PM'd about this very early on. This has been added to the OP - 

• NEW RULE -  If for whatever reason stuff happens in your personal life that prevents you from posting, please contact me or Kiah and let us know ahead of time. As in, if we are currently on Day 5 and you know you'll be unable to post on Days 6 and 7, contact me early and you can later include them on Day 8. You'll only be excused if you contact us ahead of time, so if you just forget to post then there's nothing to be done.

I don't mean to be unfair, but it is important to be punctual if you want the badge. We're willing to be lenient on a case by case basis if you give us a heads up before your absence, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Time to pop in again for another video game thing.

Day 1: Most Nostalgic Game

pokemon-sapphire-version-usa-europe-rev-

I'm gonna have to pick one of the first games I've ever owned. Pokemon was and still is a big thing for me and my brothers, but I never actually owned my own game until Ruby and Sapphire came out. So I've got a lot of fond memories playing this on the car ride over to elementary school, and playing to pass the time when I woke up before the rest of my family and didn't want to go back to sleep. When I started playing this I didn't really use the internet for all that much, so trying to figure out how to get to the Regis, Mirage Island, etc. was a big thing for me.

To this day, Hoenn still has some of my favorite Pokemon in it, and it's still one of my favorite regions. It had all the cool things that the previous generations didn't, and some things that the later generations left behind. It had the Pokemon contests, the secret bases, trumpets, you name it. That's why I'm really hoping they make RSE remakes, I want to experience my first trek into Pokemon all over again, but this time, improved.

• Thumbs Up 2

I got too many to list, so I will just pick one.

I was about nine when I got Donkey Kong 64, oh how I loved the game so much. Lots of goofy designs, my introduction to the arcade Donkey Kong, hours and hours of fun to be had as I searched for Golden Bananas and Blueprints. Ah, I need to come back to playing this at some point for the bosses and the lovely Crystal Caves. How I will never forget the day I beat the game all those years ago.

Heh, I actually can't remember for the life of me if I beat this game or not as a kid. I can vaguely recall the appearance of the Warp Room in Crash 2, but I also remember fighting Cortex while Aku Aku and Uka Uka were firing face beams at each other... which was in Crash 3...? I dunno, lol.

What you described in your last two paragraphs sounds a lot like Super Meat Boy. If you haven't played that, I'd absolutely recommend it. smile.png

I definitely beat the game, but I didn't get the 100% I was going for before the disc broke, so I never figured out if there's a post game stage or anything. I never looked it up either (and don't you heathens tell me either); it's just a long-lost question I keep in the back of my mind, at least until I get another Sony Console. xD I also do remember battles with Aku and Uka firing beams at each other; I want to say those were either a regularly scheduled mini-boss or a single, near end-game boss. But I'm about 90% sure that was in Crash 3.

As for Super Meat Boy, I've not played the polished version yet; just the free Flash version, and yeah, even with that being a test run that game still kicks my ass, and I love it. I should stop beating around the bush and just buy it already. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 1 - Most Nostalgic Game:

tek3f.png

Tekken 3 was the game that got me interested in fighting game genre, and the Tekken series. I first played the game on an arcade machine back in '98 in a small arcade room in the back of a BX (Base Exchange) store. I saw it and decided to play it out of curosity and... man, I was addicted to the game. I just kept coming back and playing it, wasting quarters on it, until I could eventually beat the game. I later got to play game on Playstation 1, thanks to my older brothers, and later on Playstation 2 with Tekken 5 as one of the arcade features and I just played the ever loving hell out of it. So yeah again, I really want to thank Tekken 3 for getting me into fighting games.

I also remembered that kickass stage music that would play for hidden characters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISoqiSb3-1U

That track really takes me back. I do love me some Tekken 3 music.  happy.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Hmmm... While Sonic 1 might class as that to the point of leaving it in 50hz mode when playing on emulators due to that it was pretty much one of my first ever games and the game that started me into gaming however it isn't the one that made me really like gaming. Looking at what I've played in the past that I still enjoy Super Mario Land 2, Super Mario 64, Castle of Illusion, Crash Bandicoot 2, Point Blank, Bugs Bunny Lost in Time, GoldenEye, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, F1 World Grand Prix [N64] and Banjo Kazooie are all excellent games, Rage Racer was very close but there is one that still have memories of and that is...

z792M1K.jpg

A little backstory, I was buying the Official PlayStation Magazine not just to read for the latest gaming news (not many people had Internet access in the late 90s where I come from apart from universities or people who could afford dial up) but also came with demo discs. I remember this game being really hyped up sort of like Mario Kart 8 or Watch Dogs/Destiny levels of hype today, now I can't remember much but I think on May 1998 after reading the very positive review (10/10 I think?) played the demo of High Speed Ring or at least I think that I played a demo of it and thought that's it. I'm getting this game however games were £40 and couldn't get many games that carried on until 2012 when I could afford them due to that games excluding Nintendo stuff have gotten much cheaper. Back in the late 90s I had to rely on renting or buying when it got to the Platinum range. So on my 10th birthday [september 1998], my parents bought me this game and also the Dual Shock controller [i think?] due to how better the game played with it since the Dual Shock was not the default controller and apart from the N64 controller, no other controller had analog sticks back then especially two of them.

What made me really like the game was that, it felt like it was the most content on a disc that I ever saw [also bearing in mind that many RPGs weren't released where I come from with Final Fantasy 7 and Pokemon being some of the first really noticeable ones]. I was used to playing racing games from the arcade and they only had a few tracks with 12 cars at the most but this had about 200 cars fully licensed and plenty of courses. Not only that but night time courses too that found quite impressed at the time especially Hi-res mode. I still to this day have good memories of Special Stage Route 11 and wished that the later games would have had this excellent course [GT6 was going to have it but it doesn't seem that it does?]. Even though TOCA was more realistic and had some slightly better graphics on the cars however had fog to go with that while GT looked sharper but could see more of the course. Another thing that I liked was that the GT Mode had various events, a map screen with all sorts of options and the racing was pretty good too  Looking back, it also seems to be the hardest and balanced of the series due to no ultimate car whether it was the Escudo Pines Peak of GT2 to 4 or the Red Bull in GT5 even if I love racing those. Amazing to think that this game was done by a small Sony studio that didn't get its name until the European release due to the passion that the developers had.

The only part that annoyed me and to this day still does was them license tests, I think that I had to cheat through them. The later games were a bit easier regarding this though.

This was the game that changed me from someone who played them in the arcade and the odd game or two on a console to someone who is passionate about games to this day. Also apart from Tourist Trophy and the "too late" GT HD Concept, I have most of the series even the lesser known GT Concept 2002.

Even though the graphics have aged and the sequels have better graphics/more content, I still go back to this occasionally from listening to the music, some days I just boot up the game and just play a race as well as looking at that map. When I think of the good times of 1998, I go to this game.

Most nostalgic game? Easy answer for me.

ze2np77.png

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (also known as Gateway To Glimmer) is, I think, the first 3D platformer I played, and evidently a good introduction to the genre. Right from the start you jump into this colorful world, full of new characters and cheerful events. The game features a splendid level design; each stage has a main "mission", like restoring the water to Aquaria Towers or turning on the electricity in Hurricos. Independently from those, you also have several minor missions, most of which take advantage of unique gameplay styles, such as the hockey game or catching the crystal popcorns.

That's something I find particularly interesting, in that the game has a multitude of varied quests that all use the same base gameplay, but explored in different forms. In many games you'll see sidequests that are always the same thing: climb a tower, win a race, collect some objects... Spyro 2 never uses the same type of mission twice. And let's not forget Stewart Copeland's phenomenal score!

The platforming is top notch, with a few simple core controls (jumping, gliding, fire breathing, etc) that are easily applied to any situation. It can be both precision platforming, like in gliding sections, or speed platforming with the dashing. There are also several temporary upgrades you can pick up for some levels.

What really makes the game for me is the world and characters. The amount of variation in each world is almost unparalleled in the genre, perhaps only rivaled by the other two games in the trilogy. Each level has its own characters, its own enemies, its own contained story. It's part of what makes it such a fun experience. The main characters are just as good: Hunter, the Professor, Spyro himself, Moneybags all have their own personalities and they're put in every sort of funny situation. Special credit to Ripto, Crush and Gulp, who make for great antagonists, Ripto also being incredibly charismatic. It's worth noting that while they're the main enemies for each world, they don't have much individual presence in the levels themselves, which have their own threats like Earthshapers and Gear Grinders and such. Once again, this contributes to a more diverse experience.

Spyro 2 is a game I'll always remember fondly, alongside 1 and 3. It's a big part of why I love 3D platformers, and a fantastic game on its own right.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day #1: Most Nostalgic Game that Ninjashark would have never played because he's a terrible loser at life and he's also never touched a girl in his life.

Well taking away Sonic limits my options a bit, thank you very much Dissy >:V. But I will perserver~. So lets do this.

Supersmashbox.jpg

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeap, Super Smash Bros. on the N64. What is there to say on this game that thousands haven't already said? Well lets try anyway.

I first learned about the game from an ad on TV, all I remember was the scene from the intro of Pikachu rolling on the Pokeball but that was enough to make me want it (this was during the big Pokemon craze afterall :V). After some hunting me and my family finally tracked it down and made our purchase, and out lives changed forever.

I'll never forget as a kid how me and my brother would always play versus matches against each other (me as Mario, him as Luigi. Yes very original I know :V.). Those were always intense affairs (I still remember once being cheated of a victory cause he went back to the menu screen as he fell on his last life.... I have never known rage better >8V). There was also the sheer awe-struck amazement that can only be experienced once when you unlock the supreme character of them all, Captain FUCKING Falcon! Hell we still went back and played a bit of this after we got Melee!

Honourable Mentions

Banjo-Kazooie - The bear and bird were a great team, and their game was awesome. I never quite completed it as a kid, but I went back and done so on the XBLA version, and lemme tell ya it was as amazing an experience now as it was then to play~

Dragonball Z Budokai 3 - I am a very big Dragonball Z fan, this game is a very good game. That is all. (also everything after this bar Burst Limit SUUUUUUUUCKS :v)

Diddy Kong Racing - Man, this was the kart racing game for me. I'd never even heard of Mario Kart at the time (my rock is very comfortable~). There was just so many varied stages and the planes and hovercrafts were cool. Not to mention boss races that were fun and infuriateing at the same time.

Pokemon Stadium - Man this game was the bomb as a kid, loading your hard trained monsters in so they could be displayed in 3-GODDAMN-D!!!!. The cups and mini games were great fun too.

• Thumbs Up 3

OH BOY

Luigi's Mansion (GCN)

smansionboxartgamecube.jpg

This game was amongst the first I really played, and whilst I didn't appreciate it much at the time, being too stupid to get very far into it, I always got an amazement out of the size of the mansion. I mean, I didn't even get past the second floor as a kid, but even then, I wasted countless hours as a kid pottering about discovering so many secrets and easter eggs, that I didn't even care about the progress I was apparently supposed to be making. At first I was quite disappointed with it (which led me to try Sonic Adventure 2 Battle instead, and we all know how THAT turned out) but over the years it grew on me, and hell, now it's probably in my top 10 games of all time! 

The feeling I get playing this re-enacts that childlike wonder I felt when I first played it - even now, I'm still discovering plenty about the game, and it's nice to see in myself that old habits die hard, and that I'm still a curious git.

Runner up is Sonic 3D on PC, I reckon. The loading screen image was mesmerising in scale to me, and I was always super excited to see what lied ahead in the game - something I wouldn't discover until years later! Also, dat soundtrack - so much better than the Mega Drive one.

That aside, I suppose Sonic Mega Collection (GCN) is worth a mention too - I remember being freaked out when the message saying I'd unlocked Sonic 3 and Knuckles popped up, I thought I'd broken the game! 

But then, those last two don't count - curse ye, Dissy!

_-Shadow-the-Hedgehog-PS2-_.jpg

Shadow the Hedgehog

[758004-mFML4YVseN3jl4n5.png

(I was like six when I first played this okay) This is the first game I've ever owned, on the first system I've ever owned, the Play Station 2. It's also the game that got me into Sonic. Yes, I enjoyed the least technically sound version of an already bad game. (Again, six) It's a bad game, but it does bring back good memories of me playing it in my room alone on Christmas morning when I was a lad having a good time. I also often go back to the OST and man is it nostalgic.

256px-Smboxpsx.jpg

I've always adored this game. It feels just like the comics due to not only the presentation but it used a pick-n-mix of the various cartoons at the time (Rino Romano from Spider-Man Unlimited, Jennifer Hale from Spider-Man TAS.)

This game had everything. It had a superb story, tons of unlockables (can we have the Spider-Man Unlimited costume again please?), replay value due to the hilarious What-If mode. It even had Stan Lee as the narrator!

I remember when I was younger swapping cheat codes with my friend at lunch time, he told me RUSTKRST which is invincibility. I always just used EEL NATS though to unlock everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, this is a toughie, especially as I'm not allowed to say Sonic 2.

I suppose its the game I have the fondest memories of, but that doesn't narrow it down too much. There's Super Mario Bros. 1 & 3, Zelda 1 & 2, TMNT 1 + 3, Marble Madness, Pushover, Street Fighter 2...

Today, I am leaning towards The Secret of Monkey Island.

The intro music is wonderfully evocative, and Melee Island is in a state of permanent night time. The comedy in the game helped shape my sense of humour, even if I did not get a bunch of the jokes at the time. Standout characters in the form of our hero Guybrush Threepwood, the evil Ghost Pirate LeChuck, the independent Governor Elaine Marley, the persistant Stan, Used Ship Salesman, the blind lookout...oh I could go on.

It was probably 2 or 3 years before I realised you could Save your progress, and as I got stuck near the end of Act 1, I played the opening Three Trials section over and over again. I could do Act 1 right now from muscle memory, but still be completely captivated by the game's atmosphere.

post-156-0-01117200-1398973583_thumb.jpg

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh gosh

I love Monkey Island

Curse was my first one. Love the humor in it!

Spyro-year_of_the_dragon.png

Spyro: Year of the Dragon.

My first experience with this game was actually from a demo hidden within Crash Bash. The demo had three levels, but I always picked the Skate Park level because it always appealed to me the most. Even with just this demo, this game would keep me entertained for hours.

After a few months of playing the demo of the game (which was admittedly better than Crash Bash was), I finally got the game as a birthday present. I must have put countless hours into the game in the few days after I got it. I always remember having three game saves for the game, one for me and the other two for my sisters. My game save was always at a higher percentage than theirs, something I would always brag about.

I beat the game entirely about a year or so after I got it, but I no longer have the save data for it. One of my siblings ignored the "Don't turn off the power" warnings and wiped out the entire save (the first of many times where they did that to me). I haven't been able to get a full completion in the game again, mostly because of the fact that I lost it some time ago. It turned up recently at one of my friends houses in working condition, so at some point I'm going to have to give it another try.

And this part, it has to be the most satisfying part of the game.

this jerk deserved it so much

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 1 - Most Nostalgic Game to Lil' Mambo

Hmm, interesting.

As I've been playing games since the early 90s I could go on for hours about this topic! biggrin.png Somewhere I started a My First Game topic which includes my experience with my first "console" so I'll leave that out. I also want to skip about a decade of my games since that is mostly about Sonic and that isn't the point of this topic! biggrin.png

In 1997 I went to one of my first sleepover parties; a bunch of my friends who happened to be girls stayed overnight at a friend of mine's mahoooosive house. Basically we talked all kinds of nonsense, ate far too many greasy snacks, gossiped about who fancied who etc... but later for some reason my friend booted up her PC and started up this:

453291-oddworld-abe-s-oddysee-dos-screen

After which she began to play the most awesome game I had ever seen (before 1997 that is!)

I was amazed at the scenery, the explosions(!) the fact that you could talk to the characters! It was absolutely beautiful and ridiculously hard. I think in my turn I got through a few screens before I got a bit stuck (the bit with the falling meat, I wasn't used to keyboard controls!)!

Years passed and I almost forgot about this game, I definitely forgot what it was called! But late on in its reign my mum bought me and my sister a PlayStation with a few games, including Abe's Oddysee. I was so happy to see it again; this time with the control pad I was able to finish it but it was still a massive task! From then on the Oddworld games would become one of my favourite game series. (Yes, including Munch! It has its moments...) Like the Sonic series, I would say it's had its ups and downs but I have enjoyed all of them so far. Abe's Oddysee has a rather different feel to it than the others, I think. It feels more "magical" than the ones that follow it. It's hard to describe really but one example I can think of is that they started to include more humour as the series went on. Abe's voice changed as well, and of course there was the slight design change to the Mudokons' hands.

I'm really looking forward to New n Tasty, although it will never replace the original!

• Thumbs Up 2

After much panicking and changing what I wanted to talk about, I've finally settled on one:

g14180we742.jpg

Super Smash Bros Melee. Decided to post the Japanese cover because it's the one I had - I spent the majority of my childhood playing Japanese games not knowing what anything means or what the hell I'm supposed to do.

I remember there's a mode you can play in which one player has the control to spawn any object they want and even change each player's HP. Once my brother, his friend and I were playing on this mode while I was the player in control. They did something that upset me (kept beating up my character or something - I can't remember), so I changed their HP to 999 by default and kept one-hit-killing them while cackling hysterically.

Back then, I was a short-tempered 5-year-old and a sore loser so it wasn't a very nice combination. I recall sometimes throwing temper tantrums because I lost or because someone kept spamming a move on me, and I'd hurl the controller at the floor while yelling in frustration. ...HEY DON'T JUDGE I WAS JUST A KID OKAY?

• Thumbs Up 1