Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 1 - Most Nostalgic Game

aQbmybe.jpg

World Of Illusion was one of the first games we bought after getting a Mega Drive, and it holds a lot of memories for me.

A neat little gimmick the game had was being able to access different levels depending on whether you played as Mickey, Donald or both. At that point my Gran was still alive and there were a couple of MD games she loved playing, and this was one of them.

We used to spend ages playing through the game on multiplayer co-op, and the levels were designed to make both players work together to complete them. So you'd get some areas where your partner would have to use a seesaw to launch you to a higher point of the level for example, and then you would have to lower a rope to pull them up. On another stage you both had to press down on the D-Pad at specific times to control a minecart to complete a stage. And then there was my favourite... playing as Mickey and having to drag Donald through a gap that he was just a little too chubby to squeeze through himself and would wiggle around in until you got him out. It really made you think about things at the time and work together as a team to solve them.

Although the door puzzle was horrible... ... .. no really, we got past it a couple of times and I still have no idea how. If you chose the wrong door it would force you to go back through previous stages, and I'm still not quite sure which button combination actually opened the doors. I should really Google it one of these days, although it feels like it's cheapen it a little to do that after all this time.

I think another reason that it had quite an impact on me as a kid was due to it being one of the most charming looking games of its time, and it always made me feel like I was playing through a Disney cartoon.

The soundtrack was quite awesome too, especially during the credits sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4UTkBd8GhU

My Mum still laughs at that as I used to wave back at Mickey and Donald every time it got to the end of the credits.

Can finish the entire game in 20 minutes now, but I still go back to it on occasion for a little nostalgia trip. Really do wish they'd give it the same treatment as Castle Of Illusion and release a HD remake as I would love to be able to do the co-op online, because it's a little depressing to play it on single player these days as the multiplayer holds most of the memories for me.

Day 1: Most Nostalgic game

Metroid Prime definitely. 

250px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

Every single easter, christmas, thanksgiving or for any other reason I had to go to my uncle's house and over there he had a gamecube set up. He had a few Gamecube games like Luigi's Mansion, Melee, Mario Kart Double Dash, but my absolute favourite was Metroid Prime. I spent all my time there downstairs playing Metroid Prime, and I only ever went up stairs to come for dinner or when I was forced too. Almost nothing could have dragged me away from this game. It took me about 2 years to actually beat the game since our visits to my uncle's were pretty sparse, but eventually I beat it. Just a year and a half ago my uncle gave me his copy since I liked it so much, and I've done about 3 full playthroughs since then. Since I couldn't play the game most of the time it prompted me to get a GBA to play the two instalments on that system, and eventually got me into gaming as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man I love 30 Days of Video Games

0907.png

My parents never trusted me much to actually hold my attention on a video game long enough to justify buying it, so despite being as obsessed with the Pokemon anime as anyone, I never got to experience the first two gens. I guess by 2003 it was obvious I fuckin loved video games and I finally got my very own copy of Pokemon. I remember going out for dinner after buying it and showing it off to our server, I was so excited.

After following Ash's adventures for years it was beyond amazing to actually get to be a trainer myself, and bless me for going about it the most hamfisted way possible. I went with the classic strategy of exclusively using my torchic so that it was insanely overleveled; my cousin showed me blaziken and I thought it was so cool I grinded for what felt like ages outside of Slateport just to get it early. I managed to spectacularly misunderstand everyone's comments that you can only have six pokemon, so when lileep was my seventh, I released it. Another fond memory was waiting in an airport once when another kid recognized my game and showed me his tropius, which I immediately loved, and then where to find my own. It's the kind of interaction Pokemon fosters so well and I love that about it.

It might be tough going back to Ruby after playing Emerald, but the generation as a whole remains my favorite. I went in knowing not a single thing about Hoenn or its pokemon, and it's the most purely enjoyable experience I've had with a Pokemon game. There's nothing like the sense of wonder you get from discovering a new species, and it had such interesting locations that it was always a reward just to see what your next destination looked like. And of course, I'm playing Pokemon as I type this, and I have Ruby to thank for that!

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, I've been waiting for this! Looking back, some of my posts for the previous 30 days where pretty dumb.

There are so many games that make me feel nostalgic like Sonic 2 and Alex Kidd for the Master System or Rayman Advance, but if there is one that really makes me remember the good old days, it is Pokémon Ruby.

3Da4JJC.png

I already told this story in one of my 30 Days of Sonic answers, but years ago I met this dude who spent his days on his grandparents house just like I did.

We used to play video games together in the apartment's stairs all day. We played a shitload of different games, but when we discovered Pokémon everything changed.

When Ruby and Sapphire where released we bought the opposite version of each other and after that we went back to our daily routine of trading, battling, trading records, etc.

I actually clocked 999:99 in this fucker.

Nowadays I just have one question, 3rd gen remakes when?

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 1! Most nostalgic game! Damn there's so many choices... @_@ But here's my two favourites. These are games which made a huge impact on my gaming life.

250px-Supermariolandboxart.jpg

Super Mario Land on the Gameboy was awesome...and really weird and unlike any Mario game ever made. The funny thing is that this was actually the first Mario game I ever played and because I didn't know about the Mushroom Kingdom or Princess Peach, none of the weird crap in this game phased me. Until I replayed it many years later of course where my reaction was perfectly described in this BitF comic.

2011-06-13-341-SMLIsWeird.jpg

But besides the strange and wonderful world of Sarasa land, it was great platforming fun with super catchy music and a great boss battle against Tatanga! It was the first game I ever played and the very first Mario game ever!

Oddworld-abes-oddysee-PSX.jpg

Now Abe's Oddysee, the first PS1 game I owned literally blew me away when I played it as a 7 year old kid. Even to this day, it wows me with its awesome (and tough) gameplay, atmospheric music and environments and of course those cutscenes which look surprisingly good for a game which came out only 2 years after Toy Story! This ain't no Heart of Darkness with its weird and awkward animations, but a really well animated story with great characters and story. I'm so looking forward to New n' Tasty!

Day 1: Most Nostalgic game.

Hmm, this one is actually pretty hard, i think i'm going to have to go with a classic

ngbbs469fb0a32070d.jpg

My first ever video game, i received it one year on my birthday as the last present of the day, it came in a pikachu shaped Gameboy carry case that was full of chocolate! I spent forever trying to finish that game, i remember often getting stuck, being a 5 year old and all, and I never did finish it completely until I was about 11-12 i think. Everything about thus game just makes me happy and brings back some really good memories :)

Second of all is this one

_-San-Francisco-Rush-2049-Dreamcast-_.jp

I played the demo of this on my brothers Dreamcast and was hooked instantly. I used to play the demo over and over trying to find all the coins in the track and pull off spins and flips. I found it one day in a secondhand  game shop and I snapped it up, eventually playing the battle and stunt modes all the time with my sister.

Day 1: Most Nostalgic Video Game

fzz0hch.jpg?2

WWF WrestleMania 2000

Wrestling has always been an enormous part of my life. My dad and uncle watched it, my brothers watched it, so of course, I ended up watching it. WrestleMania 2000, along with its sequel No Mercy, was and still is one of the best wrestling games of all time. This game came out back in 1999, a decade and a half ago, and very few wrestling games released later have even come close to being as fun and addictive as this one.

Booting up the Nintendo 64, getting ready to play this, and seeing the fully animated opening along with the blaring music was the best thing ever. The roster was huge, pretty much anyone who was worth caring about that was in WWF at the time was in this game. By far my favorite thing in the game though was the create a wrestler mode. You have no idea how many hours I've wasted, and still do in the current games, in this mode. From completely creating my guy's appearance from scratch to picking all their moves, entrance, theme song, basically everything your heart desired could be done. That wasn't it though. Say The Rock came out in some different color tights one week, but his model didn't have them in the game. No problem, go into create a wrestler and change them yourself! Even better was that in the opening cinematic when you start the game, any edits you've done to the in game wrestler are reflected in the video, which I thought was the coolest thing.

Just being able to even have matches that never happened on TV or make a tag team between two guys that hated each other was awesome. You could make your own pay per view, name it, put your created guys on the card, make special match stipulations, put titles on the line, the options were seemingly limitless. The fact that I can still go back, pop in the cartridge, and enjoy this game as much as I did back then today says a whole lot about my love for this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 1: Most Nostalgic Video Game

I had to think about this one, but once it came to me, it was obvious. I'm not surprised to see a few others answer with it, too.

Rr.png

While Gateway to Glimmer is less edgy, it doesn't really describe the game as a whole, does it?

Anyway, Spyro 2 was the first 3D platformer I played. It's the childhood game I remember most clearly, to the point where, when I replayed the game last year, I remembered everything. I blazed through the game easily--and loved every second of it, mind you!--as if I had never stopped playing it.

I love this game. There's no doubt that it's this game that shaped what I want out of platformers. The levels were "open" but you really only had one direction to go in 90% of the time in order to progress. Of course there were tons of things to do in each level in order to earn Orbs, which were necessary later on in the game. It was very "old 3D platformer" in that sense, but hey, it's fun. I don't mind collecting random thingamajigs to do whatever, even now, and yeah, it's probably because of this game!!

Oh, and the soundtrack is still amazing to this day. <3

One more thing: I'd like to see more games that have little "level cutscenes" to introduce individual levels. I always thought that was cool, partly because I like levels feeling important, if not to the game's overall plot, then at least in the sense that it gives the game's world more personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4TbiTShtz8

I miss you, Spyro. ;_;

• Thumbs Up 1

Great, mine's gonna be a game no one's heard of.

Day 1: Most Nostalgic Game

256px-Midtown_Madness_3_Coverart.png

This game was the first video game I ever owned for the first console I ever owned (Yes my first console ever was the original Xbox 1. I blame my dad for buying it and 2. Yes, I had a deprived childhood I know), but this game's actually pretty cool. It's like a mission-based open-world racer (with 2 open-world cities to choose from: Paris and Washington) and it's quite good. To this day I never fully beat it actually, but what I most remember enjoying is just speeding around the open world being chased by the cops (which BTW you can never be busted by) in Free Mode or whatever it was exactly called with the fast cars I unlocked doing missions. And even today I still feel this game holds up as pretty fun. Thought apparently Online Mode was the best part, and I never got to experience that. 

Mario_Kart_64_front.jpg

As a kid I spent a lot of time with my Uncle who lived down the street, as a child growing up I had my Dad who was a SEGA fan and my Uncle who was a Nintendo fan, so I had the best of both worlds when it came to games. I fondly remember playing Mario Kart 64 on my Uncle's brand new Nintendo 64 in his living room, from simple Grand Prix mode, to playing multiplayer arena battles and I just get all warm and fuzzy thinking about those times of innocence and fun. It was great playing MK64 with my Uncle but the fun began when his Nephew came over and we all played Grand Prix mode, having some incredible times and some fucking good laughs when playing battle mode. Everything about this game sticks in my mind, from the amazing soundtrack to the unforgettable tracks, to the good times I had with my family when everyone was happy, it's incredible how much Mario Kart has left an impact on my life, and you all know how hyped I am for Mario Kart 8, but deep down nothing can budge THIS game from my mind, absolutely nothing.

Mario_Kart_64box.png

I look like a straight up copycat, don't I? :v

I can't even begin to count how many times I rented this from Blockbuster back in the day. When this came out on the Wii VC, my heart just exploded. <3

Between the charming 3D models, the familiar "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN" noise Mario and Luigi's karts make, the exhaust pipes that little me thought looked like eyeballs and so felt like the karts were looking at me at all times, the presentation of the place layouts (especially that border mode where miniature icons of the characters trail along the border of the screen as they progress through the lap which needs to come back because little me demands it), the screwy nature of character placement when you do certain things in Kalamari Desert and Wario Stadium, and the wonderful music, MK64 is a game where I invested so many hours just having fun with it, even in 1-player GP. I still recall times where I just stopped on the brakes on half of the tracks in GP right before I finished the race, just so I can do it all over again.

Yeah, it's not the best one MK out there, but it's definitely my most warmly-remembered.

Most Nostalgic Game? Tsch ooooh, toughie.

I have to say, probably...Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly and Number/Word/Super Muncher, oddly enough.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly was one of the first few videogames I ever played. Though the game is buggy as all @#$% it did have great soundtracks and this one god-awesome tank minigame.

This video has the Tank minigame in question somewhere in there.

Number/Word/Super Muncher....while everyone else played Oregon Trail or this WEIRD AS HELL puzzle game THING on the mac computers, there I am being a nerd and playing as this green frog uh...thing...going around munching words or numbers that fit specific criteria (Odd/Even/Prime, Synonym/Antonym..) ANd if you got hit by these weird colored monsters ya died. 83

SUPER MUNCHER! 8D I'd so play this game again if I could. 83

oot.jpg

Definitely gonna have to go with this game right here, despite how unoriginal my choice is.

Ocarina of Time wasn't my first video game, not by a long shot. It WAS however the first game that captured me in almost every way. The gameplay was addicting, the world felt alive, the music was superb and I felt like I had a lot to do in the world. I didn't just beat the game and leave it at that, which for me was something I had grown accustom to. I went back and actually completed everything! I was just enthralled in how much a video game could keep me invested. In that instant, Zelda became one of my favorite game franchises. I needed more of this, and Nintendo answered soon after with Majora's Mask, but I'll get into that somewhere down the days in this topic hopefully.

Well, this is going to be a fun trip down memory lane.

There are so many games I've played that I would consider nostalgic - Super Mario Bros 2. Super Mario World. Super Mario RPG. Mario Kart 64. Mario Party 2. Super Mario 64. Paper Mario. Getting tired of all these Mario games? Okay, how about Diddy Kong Racing? Crash Tag Team Racing? Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Sonic Advance, and Sonic Mega Collection? That one Lion King video game for the SNES that was surprisingly pretty good? Any game from the first two generations of Pokemon, particularly Red, Yellow, Gold, and Crystal, as those were the ones I played? Pokemon Puzzle League? The original Super Smash Bros and Melee? Animal Crossing?

I could list any one of these games, and still more. These were the games that I played extensively, the games that I always looked forward to playing after school, the games that I absolutely adored as a child.

But. If I had to choose a single game to consider 'nostalgic', it would have to be this masterpiece of a platformer right here;

tumblr_l92bnoiZ2V1qbszfjo1_500.jpg

Oh, yes. Just. Yes.

Please note that, as this is my favorite game of all time, you're probably going to see me praise it a shit ton.

But yeah, Yoshi's Island.

I remember seeing this game in the store and asking my mom if I could have it. That same day, I popped it into the family's SNES and found myself immersed in the wonderful world of Yoshi's Island. There was so much I loved about this game (and if there's a 'favorite game of all time' question, expect me to go into more detail about all that), that I played it constantly as a child and it quickly became my absolute favorite.

• Thumbs Up 3

This game here...

logo.gif

Crash Bandicoot WARPED

(I love the title screen...)

We were a Playstation house, my family, and it all started with my older brother getting a Playstation for his birthday in 1996, and...well, Crash 3 wasn't out yet, obviously. But I didn't have much an interest in the thing, as I was a little babby, just learning to speak and all that. This changed when I hit the ripe old age of five in 2000. My brother had started to lose interest in his PS1 at this point, and this gave me more opportunities to play the thing, which caused my interest to just...explode. Gaming was this...thing in my life now, and one game gave me this outlook. That game was Spyro 2 : Gatewa-OK, it was Crash 3. Crash 3 was perfection, Crash 3 was childhood joy, Crash 3 was, and still is, one of the best 3D platformers ever made. Memories of the levels within are burned into my memory, every secret, memorized. 

Whenever I play it now, nostalgia goosebumps just happen, and that's a sure fire sign of great nostalgia there.

• Thumbs Up 2

My most nostalgic game? Obviously Crash Bandicoot 2. I grew up owning PlayStation consoles, and didn't own anything different until I was like 9 when the Gamecube was near it's end. 

81pH1WzItlL._SL1500_.jpg

God I love this game though, it's still one of my all-time favorites, and I will never forget it. It was my very first game I ever played, and the game that got me interested in the video game world. The soundtrack is great, the gameplay is fun, and all the characters are as great as ever. People seem to always like the third the best, but I never played it until I was much older, which I can see why people like the third more, this one will always be my most nostalgic game and my favorite Crash Bandicoot game to date. God rest your soul, Crash Bandicoot. You did good son. 

• Thumbs Up 1

oot-linkshiek.jpg

Ocarina of Time

I don't think any games I loved when I was younger won out much over another when it came to what was "most nostalgic.game." I could have picked Sonic 2, Super Smash Bros Melee, Pikmin, Mario Kart...

But..I don't know. I don't think I gush about this game enough as it is. 

Ocarina of Time is the game that got me into what is currently one of my favorite game series, Zelda. I had seen Link in action in the Smash series, but I never got iI I didn't play it until 2007 when I was about 9 years old. I probably wouldn't have played it at all if I didn't see the massive, sprawling map Nintendo Power had as part of a guide. I remember immediately being sucked in. Letting the player learn the ropes on their own by exploring the forest area and gathering supplies instead of putting them through some forced tutorial sequence like the other Zeldas was smart. I'm surprised other Zeldas don't take that approach.

Ocarina of Time was a huge game even in 2007, almost 10 years after it's release. Me and my brother explored everything that game had. We were eager for more so we went ahead and bought Twilight Princess for the Wii next. We ended up burning through most of the series.

Majora's Mask may be technically superior, but Ocarina of Time just got so many little things right that the other 3D Zelda games stumble on. 

I'm tempted to go with Sonic Adventure, for being one of the first games I've ever played, but I think I'll go with more of an under appreciated title I poured more time into as one of my childhood games.

SWKOTR2_intro_large.jpg

Despite having played the original first, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords just seemed to connect with me more, for its unconventional approach to the Star Wars universe through its rag-tag cast of characters, much more dark atmosphere and tone, plus a story that really makes you think and question things more than its predecessor, if you scratch under the surface more. While the combat system is more of the same thing this time around, it's still loads of fun, coming up with strategies and balancing/upgrading to be more effective in fights. I also would like to praise the soundtrack, for being one of my favorite OST's in any Star Wars media. It conveys all the right feelings of despair, loneliness, isolation, and mystery to a tee. 

Not to say the game holds up very well, at least in terms of presentation. Kotor 2 reuses the exact same engine as the original, and character animations/facial expressions are as stiff as ever. Not to mention, much of the game's content was cut from release due to a minimal time period of development available to Obsidian. An entire planet was cut from the game, and the ending does little to effectively wrap up the plot, feeling more like a teaser for a Kotor 3 that never unfortunately game.

Still, I like to think of this game like aged Wine or Leftover Pizza still in the fridge. Yeah, it's a sight for sore eyes, but when played, still holds that same magic it did all those years ago. The voice acting is top notch, the story actually tries to do something different and adds to the mythos through its perception of The Force, and it the RPG Elements and combat are just as fun as ever. It's my favorite Star Wars game of all time, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_box_

It took some thinking, I finally narrowed it down to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. As a kid I played this game to death, I thought it was a magical game with endless things to do (haha not so much now), I'd spend hours just roaming around Hyrule field, except at night, because that's when the Stalfos kids came out and I they scared me. I remember when I first encountered them I wanted to run away, and so from taht day forward whenever I played kid Link I'd roll like crazy to get from Korkiri Forest to Hyrule castle lol. Of course I've grown out of that now, but still those are some hilarious memories. I've been hooked on Zelda ever since I played this game, it was just that much fun. I know it hasn't aged well at all, but man, this game is timeless for me. <3Zelda<3

Man this looks likes it'll be fun.

Well, there's two that I really think deserve mention, so yeah I'll just do both of 'em.

a80721e8b96bfe2d3488834d31930ecd.png

This game, man. When I was just a lad back in 2003, my dad introduced me to the Playstation 2 he had bought recently, the only games he had for it were Need for Speed Underground, and this bad boy right here, Spongebob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom. I played this game non-stop when I first popped it in, I went back and beat it over and over, memorized every little thing about it (except those dang sock locations), it was just a total blast. I liked it so much, my dad even let me keep his PS2 for myself. To this day I still find it such a joy of a game, with the way it creates a whole connected world out of a whole ton of places from the show, and there's just so much love put into it. Man it just had great levels, great voice acting, fun concept, some dang amazin' music, and it's just so entertaining throughout. It pretty much influenced my tastes in games for the rest of my life, anything that's just a dumb ol' good time is a-okay in my book. And just, man playing it reminds me of a simpler time, and always puts a smile on my face again and again. Dang man it's just a great game.

Alrighty, now on to my second pick, which might be an oddball choice but man here we go.

510njj-oGCL._SY300_.jpg

Ah, this lovely little game. It was December 2006, my dad had just sent me and my sister Nintendo DS Lites and two games, my sister getting Nintendogs, and me, getting New Super Mario Bros. I had never played a Mario game before, or anything Nintendo for that matter, and this game man at least to me was a great way to jump in. I loved every moment of this game, it was just a simple, fun 2D platformer. As with the before-mentioned Battle for Bikini Bottom, I replayed New Super Mario Bros. again and again until I 100%'d it a few times over. I go back to it every once in a while these days, and it's always a real fun time to do so, and it gets me all nostalgic n' stuff man.

So yeh, those're my nostalgic picks.

• Thumbs Up 4

Pokémon 1st and 2nd Generation

250px-Yellow_EN_boxart.jpg250px-Silver_EN_boxart.jpg

Pokémon was my first RPG game and it's funny looking back at it now, because in the beginning I wasn't a fan of Pokémon. In fact, I had received a copy of Red Version and a Game Boy Color for Christmas even though I had never asked for it. After playing it firsthand, I was officially a Pokémon fan. I later went and bought Blue and Yellow Version. I still have all 3 games in my collection.

Years later, I got Silver Version for Christmas and I was ecstatic. The game was truly a sequel and added ton of new features that would remain and upgraded in future games. This was also the first game where I actually defeated the Elite 4 and Champion. Unfortunately, I lost this game at my friend's house and he borrowed it.

Luckily, I have LeafGreen Version and Soul Silver Version to relive the awesome adventures of those times without having to worry about my Save Data.

The Crash Bandicoot Playstation 1 Trilogy

Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png

I don't remember when I got the first game but it awesome. Sure, Saving was big issue and I couldn't make it to the second island, but I still enjoyed the wacky nature of Crash and its 2D and 3D platforming.

After getting a Crash 3 mini strategy guide in a magazine, I decided to get Crash 3 and 100% the game. Later, I went and bought Crash 2 and 100% that game as well. I still haven't completed the first game though.

Spyro the Dragon Playstation 1 Triology

61v4CXiLksL._SX300_.jpg

This was another platformer I enjoyed. From freeing his family and friends from becoming statues, taking down Ripto, and saving all the Dragon Eggs, Spyro the Dragon was awesome series of games I played alongside Crash on the Playstation. I've 100% the first and third game but never the 2nd game because I had only rented it from Blockbuster.

Ape Escape

319440-apeescape.jpg

What's that? Monkeys wearing special IQ hats are using a time machine to try to take over the world? Better arm yourself and try to track them down! This was an interesting take on a collection game, where you have to catch a certain number of monkeys to Clear a stage. Also, each monkey is different depending on the color of their pants. While this game is fun and challenging, you can't play it without a Analog Controller.

Day 1-Most Nostalgic Game

donkey-kong-country-box-artwork-snes-16-

When I was just a wee little baby of 3 years old, my first console was a hand me down NES, from my uncle. Though it was my first experience with games, the one I remember most fondly is the new SNES my uncle showed off to my brother and I. This was the first game on it that I actually had the courage to play, being 5 at the time of its release and actually have some grasp of what I was doing. Not only that, but it was the game I frequently played when I visited my nearby cousins to play. We never did get past Northern Kremisphere, and yet all those times trying to get to K. Rool takes up a big spot in my memory. To this day, it's my favorite of the Super Nintendo DKC Trilogy, despite being the most dated. I have to say that's gotta be nostalgia.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, day one. Most nostalgic game. Er... I feel like I probably shouldn't pick this one because Sonic, but honestly it's the only that I can truthfully choose. 

Most Nostalgic Video Game: Sonic Heroes (No more Sonic games after this one, I promise!) 

This game really takes me back. Honestly, the reason Heroes gets me so nostalgic is because when I was a kid, this was not only the game I obsessed over the most, but my friends liked it too, so it was a cool thing to talk about together. I have fond memories of getting to Hang Castle for the first time, with the windows open, and cool summer breeze on my face. We also used to make up stupid theories about what would happen after the end of the game, and I remember one time making a box fort and pretending it was the Chaotix Detective Agency. Typing all this, it sounds unbelievably stupid, childish, and cheesy, but whatever, this is the nostalgia day. I can be cheesy if I fuckin' want to. 

On a side note, it's great to have the 30 Days of Vidya topic back. 

Day 1:Most Nostalgic

tumblr_mg6d4kCEU61qh0ocho1_500.gif

My first foray into gaming was through portables as they were all the rage in school and I did'nt get to hear much abt consoles unfortunately..

And yes, I did play Pokemon Red but it did'nt make that much impression on me even with the hype around it. I thought it was just..a good game really..fun till the end. 

But maaaan, G/S was not just a sequel but a major overhaul which made the delays worth it. The sweet colours(tho' I owned a GB pocket), the polished pokemon sprites, the new types, the cuter pokemon designs which have more thought put into it(I'm glad they moved to more docile one rather than aggressive last gen) the new types, the new gym leaders (whose designs were more interesting IMO), the new locations to explore (Olivine Lighthouse, Lake of Rage, Radio Tower). It was a big milestone for the pokemon franchise as a whole and cemented its place as a lifelong game franchise that would not be one game wonder. And man those tunes cheery and bright but not to the point sickly sweet. I could never get sick of this soundtrack...And it has my favourite character and rival in the franchise to date: Silver.

This is always one of my first and unforgettable games for me. Even if Red was the first...this is the best. My firsts usually are'nt. And maaan, the fangasms when HeartGold was announced..that's another story.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 1: MOST NOSTALGIC GAME

61BuM3rHzTL._SX300_.jpg

My first console game, Namco Museum Volume 3.
(actually my first console game was hot shots golf 3 but *we don't talk about that*)

This game is a compilation of six classic Namco arcade titles; Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaxian, Phozon, Pole Position II, and The Tower of Druaga. It probably has the best assortment of the five (six if you count the JP-exclusive Namco Museum Encore) installments released during the PS1s lifespan, and as a result has become increasingly rare. 

If you've played any of the PS1 Museum games, you know that there's one thing that sets them apart from other similar counterparts. I'm talking about the always super-great Museum Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruPJa5WBK4U

The Museum Mode is a first-person romp through this sprawling honest-to-goshdangodon Namco-themed museum. Each of the six games on the disc is given its own exhibit within the museum, where you can learn up on the history of the games as well as look as merchandising, promotional material, everything right down to the *damned circuit boards* is available for viewing here. The Museum Mode as a whole is just this tremendous labor of love and the awesome mystery developers who made it happen must have been really, REALLY passionate about these games. Damn, what happened to that...enthusiasm?

Also this game has just got a really awesome soundtrack. Listen to the whole thing if you can, it's as if it were specifically tailored to be nostalgic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRErLNbj9UQ
OWW
WHOO
wut

WEEK 1-1 COMPLETE (1/30)

• Thumbs Up 2