Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 17: Best Combat

Certain video game genres may feature gameplay elements which involve characters getting into the fight of enemies and even player-controlled characters. Throughout the years, many games have introduced different types and styles of combat oriented gameplay mechanics, ranging from beat 'em ups and hack 'n slashes, action games, RPGs, and of course fighting games among other genres.

Personally I quite like most of the offerings given in several beat 'em ups and hack 'n slashes such as Streets of Rage or Bayonetta, action games such as BioShock (especially the 1st game) or Gears of War, RPGs like Xenoblade Chronicles or the Paper Mario / Mario & Luigi series or fighting games like the all-time classic Street Fighter series. In fact, my all-time combat system comes from the fighting games genre, which is the one featured in...

SuperSmashBrosMeleeBanner.jpg

Super Smash Bros. series

The Super Smash Brothers series has been and will always be the epitome of fun in video games to me. Starring a plentiful cast of all-star Nintendo characters ready to brawl in a diverse range of Nintendo-related stages filled with frenetic chaos and fun. While the Smash Bros series is known in a big part for how it pays a tribute to Nintendo's history and their franchises, the fighting gameplay elements is also a really big asset to the series' credit.

Picking up Mario and beating the crap out of, say, Pikachu, Link or even Sonic never has been sooo much fun to do, and all thanks to its particular combat system while mixing up platforming elements. Behind its simple concept of hitting and beating your opponents as much as possible so its percentage is high enough to send them out of the ring, a good chunk of strategy is added in terms of knowing when to hit or dodge your opponent, when to take the most of your items, and how to take advantage of the scenario's layout. Yet it's difficult to keep yourself away from the chaos these battles always bring up, since the vast array of items, the passive events from the scenario, or even unexpected attacks coming from other opponents will guarantee combats where anything can happen and bring the victory to anyone's hands.

Hectic, challenging, and most importantly, extremely fun. Masahiro Sakurai, alongside the guys at HAL Laboratory, made an exceptional job by introducing this new twist to the fighting genre back in 1999 with their Nintendo 64 instalment. Such combat system brings out endless possibilities to every single fight in a game that also pays an excellent tribute to Nintendo's long history in the video gaming industry.

tumblr_ml1qe3jFnF1qce7tgo1_500.gif

The Souls Games

So it's really hard to distinguish between them. But by far the best combat out there is Demons/Dark Souls. You swing a weapon, you feel like you are swinging a heavy weapon. You strike an enemy, your enemy reacts as though he's been hit in an appropriate manner. You get hit, you feel the hit.

But also... 

It never cheats you, there's no sense of unfair hit detection, you get hit, you got hit. Likewise, you hit someone it's because you got them. It means you can have a combat system which allows for the player to counter and actually counter, not just push a button and go into some kind of auto motion movement to counter. You counter, because your character was able to counter, not some kind of auto move.

It doesn't hold your hand aside from a 'lock on' to help with you being in a 3D space, there's no pushing a button to snap to the enemy as you somehow deliver a blow from a weapon and magically close the distance against them as though you're on ice. You need to be the right distance in order for the hit to connect.

You actually feel like you're in a battle or a duel with a foe. Even when magic is used, you feel like you are physically there in the battle with the demons.

Close second.

streetsofrage2.gif

Streets of Rage 2

Because Streets of Rage 2!

• Thumbs Up 1

For my best combat pick, it really came down to either Smash Bros for the reasons outlined by several previous posters or...a series I've given a fair share of love to in this topic already. In the end, I went with...

25qypw2.jpg

Mario & Luigi Series (GBA/DS/3DS)

Yeeeeeeeep, these games again. XD But I can't help giving them love, because the combat in this series is absolutely FANTASTIC! Take the typical Mario RPG system, add in a few team mechanics, and...oh, yeah. TURN THE ENTIRE BATTLEFIELD INTO A FREAKING PLAYGROUND! Seriously, these games have some of the most fun, action-packed turn-based battles in existence. Whether launching a special attack, avoiding an enemy's assault, or simply finishing a battle, there's a fair share of spectacle and the constant mini-game-esque strategies you're called upon to employ really keep battling enemies from ever getting stale. Plus, that's not even mentioning the several variations on the system with every sequel such as doubling your plumbers, taking up the Koopa King's mantle, and calling upon hundreds of Luigis or the different KINDS of battles such as solo bro tussles or titan-sized character brawls. These games just have a TON of variety and that was exactly what made their combat stand out in my eyes.

I'm really short on time today and I see many mentions of games that I'd like to talk about so I'll have to pick one that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BHiksK0IYA

Vanquish (BTW, say hello to the first boss)

Oh yeah, I've read about all those Bayonettas, Dantes, Dontes, Flaming paint doges and Ninja Cyborgs... How about a shooter that possess all that frantic action?

Vanquish has the basics of what we can wait on a TPS nowadays, nice scenery, crazy weapons, massive enemies, cover tactics but being a Platinum title it's not content with just giving the basics, it also introduces other things you can use to smash your opposition. You can use the augmented reality (not to be confused with the similar named thing used on MGR) and slow down time to fire a barrage of your own bullets... Almost safely... Or you can slide like crazy and fast travel across the scenery or you can get close to your enemies and punch them so hard they blow up into pieces (shame this overheats you) or you can smoke and kill your internal organs (not really... well... not really in-game).

The speed of the battles in this game is crazy and Platinum made sure you have all you need to clear them as you please! It's like a guy in a spartan suit playing in a TPS but with the buttsliding speed of Sonic and Bayo's witch time and the punches of someone who came out of MadWorld.

Also, it has an interesting health system.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 17 - Best Combat

Easy one!

PlatinumGames.png

Anything by Platinum Games and its designers

Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, Metal Gear Rising, Wonderful 101, these games all have amazing combat systems that glorify over-the-action and make you feel like a badass.  These games all take skill to get good at, and once you do, they make sure that what's happening on screen is absolute eye candy as well as fun to play.  And they don't just settle for simple hack and slash gameplay, they always throw something interesting in.  Joe has the various VFX moves that mess with time, Bayonetta has guns AND swords AND hair magic AND a slow-mo dodge, MGR has Blade Mode and the cool parry move, and W101 is just constant variety and a brand new idea that's a ton of fun.  These games are incredibly flashy, but have plenty of substance as well, and that's not an easy balance to achieve.  So props to Platinum and its badassery.

dark-souls-ps3-xbox-360-preview-screensh

The Souls Games

I'm mentioning this series as well because I'd consider these and Platinum Games' combat equally good.  However, I'd consider the Souls games pretty much the exact opposite of Platinum.  Rather than try and make the player feel badass, they make the player feel insignificant in the world, and every single encounter is a test of your skill.  There are never any moments where you can just tear through a bunch of easy baddies, it is always a challenge and it is always intense.  Every swing of your weapon feels weighted, and you can really feel the impact of every blow.  You can't just slash willy-nilly and expect to come out unscathed.  You have to use your stamina, strength, magic, evasion, and everything you have to try and survive the situation as it evolves.  It can be a harrowing (or should I say HOLLOWING AHAHAHAHAAA) experience, but that just makes victory so much sweeter.  Every time you beat an enemy, you feel like the fucking man, because every single encounter puts you on the edge of your seat, no matter how big or small.  It's incredibly deep and incredibly satisfying.

Fuck Ornstein and Smough though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 17 - Best Combat

Power Stone

Power-Stone-600-x-300.jpg

What's Power Stone, you might ask? It's like Super Smash Bros except with a original cast of characters, the arenas are 3D instead of 2D, health bars, and the Final Smashes are transformations that are obtained by gathering the Dragoon like Power Stones. Capcom, why haven't you made a sequel to this?

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 17

Best combat for me I guess goes to Super Smash Bros Brawl.

The game were Nintendo characters battle it out. Everyone knows what it is.

I mostly like it for seeing my favorite characters come together to fight side by side or against each other. The controls for this game are simple yet these controls can be used in various ways to play competitively.

It was pretty easy to find a character I like because there are a lot to choose from. I liked to be fast and able to deal damage with powerful moves. Sonic is fast and has good Ariel attacks to combo with but lacks power but it was not usually a problem because I would be building up the damage on players and they would have trouble catching me and eventually I get them out. I'm also comfortable taking a lot of risk with sonic when jumping out to make sure the player stays out.

Kirby has good finishing moves with great Ariel attacks but his speed is not all that but his moveset makes up for it.

My other mains would be peach Luigi and bowser.

Best Combat

tumblr_n0ywwl6B9Z1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Is this really a question? I mean...Guys? It is Bayonetta. Queen B, herself. The Beyonce of Beat 'em Ups. The Artist of Atrocity. The Diva of Destruction. The femme of fucking insane. This is beyond question. When you master this game, it feels so fucking good. Like, you feel like an artist and Bayonetta is your fucking paint brush and those Angels are the fucking Canvas. So much style that you can exhibit in this game. Like...hurting people has never been so much fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really have a specific favorite here, so I'm just going to go with a general choice.

Although I have been getting more into real-time combat systems recently, I'm going to have to go with turn based combat here. I like having to think and predict what my opponent is going to do. It's challenging, and it really stimulates the mind. In real-time combat systems, there isn't really much time to think. The gameplay more geared towards reaction time and hand-eye coordination.

In turn-based combat, there are a lot of things to take into account. What is my opponent's next move? Are they going to attack? Defend? Heal? There are so many variables that it might be hard to make an accurate prediction. My opponent does something I don't expect, and suddenly the entire equation is changed.

A lot of video games fit this category, such as Pokemon, Civilization and many RPGs, but most board games are turn-based, too. Chess fits this category for the same reasons listed above.

Every time I thought of "best combat" I came back to this...

​Best Combat: The Wonderful 101

Hey, did you know that this game is really cool? Because it is. There are so many cool things about this game, that it deserves to be called really cool. 

One of the things that is cool about The Wonderful 101 is it's combat. It's crazy, it's colorful, and you can make a lot of shit happen. Air combos especially are really satisfying. Once you git gud and become creative with combos and Multi Unite Morphs, use lock-on effectively, and learn to easily fight multiple enemies at once it becomes ridiculously cool, fast, and fun. It's easy to get into, and difficult to master.

My second choice: Metal Gear Rising

Day 17 - Favorite Combat

Easy.

ToGF-US-Box-Art-Full.jpg

TALES OF GRACES F

I loved this game so much, and this combat system is one of the reasons why. It...well, it mostly boils down to a lot of the things SuperLink said. Honestly, I don't know what I can add. There's just this brilliant sense of fluidity to it - every combo chain, every movement, everything just feels so silky smooth. I love the fact that you can just dash around from side to side. It's just a wonderful thing...

So for the sake of giving this post more substance...

2012-12-11-010314.jpg

OH AND ALSO PERSONA

I'm sorry.

But anyway, as far as turn-based goes, you really can't go wrong here. It seems straightforward if you look at it one way - just another take on the whole "abuse weaknesses etcetera" setup. But there's a lot more to it than that. If you abuse an enemy's weakness, they get knocked down, and the same happens to you (or one of your party members) if that weakness is used on you. P3 and P4 both use this in different ways - in P3, a character or enemy who is knocked down has to skip their turn, but if they're hit with their weakness again while knocked down, they'll get back up. In P4, on the other hand, you don't have to skip your turn, but if you're hit with the weakness again, you get dazed, making you a sitting duck. It seems like a small thing, but it actually changes the flow of battles completely. P3 feels more focused on being as strategic as possible while P4 focuses more on being efficient and maintaining the flow of battle.

(Also, P4 is better because you can actually control your other party members and it was dumb that you couldn't do that in P3.)

But what really shakes things up is the Persona system. The main character has the ability to switch between multiple Personas (battle monsters, basically) at will, and every Persona has a unique set of strengths, weaknesses, attributes and abilities. With changing enemy situations, you're constantly having to switch between Personas while taking into account all of these factors (as well as your teammates' abilities and weaknesses) to get good results, and the Personas you have are - if you're playing correctly anyway - going to change quite a bit over the course of the game. So yeah.

Also, the visuals are really flashy and cool and it makes battles really fun and satisfying to watch and I love it.

I love Persona.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Paper Mario/Thousand-Year Door

Devil May Cry 3/4

Skyward Sword

Wind Waker

(dang it why do my posts keep getting double-spaced it's really annoying :c)

• Thumbs Up 1

Contrary to popular belief, small arms in real life do not have a hierarchy to attend to to prevent insulting other types of weapons. Handguns (for all practical purposes) do not have arbitrary maximum fire rates and sniper-rifle accuracy so long as a pause occurs between firing between firing. Submachine guns do not have a bullet spread of a 17th century boarding gun every time you fire more than two shots, nor or they a fraction as powerful as the pistols they share ammo with. Assault rifles do not jump 30° after a 5 round burst. Battle rifles do not get massively more accurate with a scope than they are without. Buttstroking an enemy is not twice as effective at killing someone than unloading a magazine into them. Most importantly, shotguns do not fire targeted explosions that liquify everything within 10 feet but tickle everything beyond that; nor are the ones with a pump action 3 times more powerful than the ones with a semi automatic action.

When you have to make such blatant (and in many cases completely idiotic) breaks from reality, actually shooting the guns stops being enjoyable somewhat. There are a handful of games that get it pretty perfect (Ref Faction and Red Faction Guerilla, Mafia, Max Payne 2, and... pretty surprisingly, Duke Nukem Forever); but none moreso than the two Left 4 Dead games. Weapons all do realistic damage to regular undead, dropping them in a couple hits no matter the gun (and being much more damaging/messy when you shoot bigger rounds) and headshots are always as lethal as they should be. Weapons have realistic range, realistic spread and realistic effects on your recoil. You aren't completely held captive by the scope on any of the sniper rifles or by low rate of fire issues. The basic handgun continues to be a useful part of your arsenal for nearly every enemy, so long as you bother to aim when firing; and the dual pistols can lay down just as much suppressive fire as an SMG if you time the shots correctly. Speaking of, if you lay off the trigger, SMGs are no less accurate than them; and the various assault rifles are just as accurate as the full rifles. And shotguns are good up to 30-40 yards, making the semi-automatic combat shotgun just as obscenely overpowered as it should be in similar real life situations.

And I can say with certainly that it is the most enjoyable game to get into shootouts in since burning through the archives in Goldeneye on the N64; but without everything you shoot exploding, with much better weapon representation, not having half the list be joke weapons, and with everything being as fun to shoot as the dual Destoveis.

Day 17: Two Minutes to Bedtime, Let's Do This

250px-SSBM_Logo.png

You'll Never Guess This One In A Million Years

Smash Bros is great. I love Smash Bros, you love Smash Bros, Smash Bros loves Smash Bros. Simple, intuitive, and full of depth; this is really everything I would love to love about fighting games but am too lame to learn. There's just so much that goes into making this a stand-out fighting game that I couldn't begin to count the ways even if I knew how to count. An amazing amount of playstyles, an amazing amount of stage variety, and just amazing, amazing fun. Smash has cured all diseases it has encountered, saved an endangered species, and talked with Ellen about its new book deal. Plus, it's an engaging family man who sticks up for the blue collar worker, and never forgets to stop by to chat with me about my various selection of hats. Truly Smash is the hero gaming deserves and needs right now.

Soma is not payed by nor associated with Nintendo, Sora Ltd., or any other associated coroporations. Any illegal copy made of this broadcast will be destroyed by the FBI's space laser

Dark Souls

638px-Be-Good-at-Dark-Souls-Step-1.jpg

The Souls series has pretty solid combat. Like others have said, the weapons have a weighty, solid feel to them. There's actually quite a variety in weapons as well. You can go for hard-hitting but slow Strength-based weapons, or the quicker but slightly less deadly Dexterity-based weapons, and everything in between. There's even weapons with unique effects in there to mix it up. Combine that with the ability to learn several different types of spells, and parrying, blocking, and rolling mechanics, and you've got yourself some pretty nice combat. In addition, every encounter can be deadly if you aren't careful. I feel like he fact that you have to pay attention and be tactical on every encounter adds to the combat.

Other Good Combat Games

The Mario and Luigi Series

Mario-and-Luigi-Dream-Team-Battle-2.jpg

I mentioned before I love RPGs that have more to them than just selecting an attack, and the Mario and Luigi series are pretty much the most famous out of all of them, not including the Paper Mario series, which are also pretty good. In the M&L series, you get to do button prompts to deal more damage, cause other effects, use special abilities, and dodge attacks. Really it has possibly the most active combat out of any turn-based RPG, which makes battles more fun than a chore. I'd love it if more RPGs had this sort of combat. 

• Thumbs Up 3

smashbro23_640w.jpg

Smash Bros.

Smash has got this excellent flow to it. It's part platformer part fighting game, and that really plays it off to it's greatest advantages. Although there are no complex combos for you to pull off, the game is built off of context-sensitive charged attacks (Smash attacks) and learning each character's movements. It's very weight-dependent and fast paced, and because of that it's just so satisfying.

OcarinaOfTimeBattle.JPG

Zelda

Zelda gameplay is so well crafted. It's easily the best, most authentic feeling swordplay mechanics I've played in any game series. You'd imagine other franchises would've done it better, but it's so strange how Zelda still seems to hold top spot for me. It just plays so well! The Z-targeting, the parrying, spin attack, acrobatic attacks and whatnot give the games a surprising amount of depth, and the power behind fighting a really good boss that competes with your sword is just... ooh, it's sublime. It's godliiike. S'goooooood.

sonic-unleashed-20081103001513940-000.jp

Werehog

Not gonna lie, Werehog was loads of fun. His gameplay was a total drag in the beginning, sure, but surprisingly when he got all of his attacks unlocked he was extremely well-endowed with tons of different combos and attacks. Sonic Team did a pretty good job layering out his combat! I guess wailing on enemies and feeling that *thunk* of slamming them out with these massive pile-driver moves made for a lot of fun to be had. The vivid, stretchy animations really helped it out there too.

(Runner-ups to Rayman's combat gameplay in Rayman 3, and Viewtiful Joe's frantic fun stuff.)

• Thumbs Up 1

2419229-6019198299-iboHj.gif

The Wonderful 101, obviously.

While I'm not overtly fond of the drawing mechanic, the developers sure knew their stuff when making the core gameplay. The basic concept of it is simple: Draw a shape, and a weapon is born from it. Depending on how large the shape you drew was, your weapon will be a specific size. Using that weapon, press the A button to smash your opponents into oblivion.

After that stage, though, the game becomes much deeper. Multiple weapons come into play, the ability to create combos is granted, and super-moves and perks can be purchased through the shop. Enemies become tougher, as well, requiring different tactics in order to be beaten. It's hard to master, but is quite rewarding when it is.

The flashy-ness of it all is quite welcoming, as in an era where combat usually consists of red and grey, actual color is quite a rarity for a game as brutal as this one. Giant rocket fists, bazookas, spiked-chain whips, and booster-hammers abound in this game, and with the streaks of red, blue, and pink they leave in their wake, they are combined to create a ground-shattering force to be reckoned with the best of 'em.

It's simple, yet deep. It's colorful, yet brutal. It's the Wonderful 101.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 17: Best/Favorite Combat

No+More+Heroes+2.jpg

Okay calling this the "best" is highly debatable and I'm not going to argue over that but regardless No More Heroes has one of my personally favorite combat systems in any game. My favorite part of it just being how satisfying it is to pull off the "Death Blows".

First you attack a mook until his health is low. Once his health is at the lowest possible point, you'll get an arrow like this.

nomoreheroesheroesparadise_00b.jpg

Swing your remote in the direction as if it's a sword and...

SUDA-04.jpg

BWAM!

This is probably my favorite use of the Wiimote on the system, considering the entire combat revolves around mixing between the A and B buttons. This is also one of the few times when Motion Control is really used (aside from stances and wrestling moves), and it's extremely effective too. It's not just endless waggle the entire time that tires you out after 5-10 minutes like I hear Sonic and the Black Knight was. 

So yeah, I really like it. Runner ups?

If I had to say a "best" combat, I'll probably pick Bayonetta even though that's been mentioned to death. The game's just plain fun and satisfying to play, man. Guilty Gear/Blazblue's combat have been really fun too. Resident Evil 4 also has some very nicely tuned combat as well, and I... I JUST CAN'T CHOOSE!

In the end, I'm a FPS geek, so anything with guns makes me happy regarding combat in gaming. GoldenEye/Perfect Dark, Halo, Counter Strike, you name it as long as it's not generic or horribly designed. It's perfect for multiplayer with friends and it's just so satisfying watching these things reload once you're out of ammo.

Previously on Day 16:

Next time on Day 18:

• Thumbs Up 2

Smash_Bros_Brawl_v4_by_freyaka.jpg

and...

unleash-review6.jpg

Gonna make this a quick one since it's 5am here.

These two are my favorite combats so far (Brawl is soon to change with the next Smash Bros installment). But yea, for Unleashed's Werehog combat, I like how they implemented some (or all) of the move sets from the Street Fighter games just with different names. For Brawl, its just being able to play as your favorite character and kick ass against friends. And now that a third party server is willing to keep the game's online functionality alive, we can still play with friends and face other players.

My favorite moves for the Werehog are the ones where you pick up the small Dark Gaia minions and start bashing them around, even the move where you take 2 of them and start smashing them together. As well as the moves where you are kicking at high speed or throwing them around, it's amusing

For the next Smash Bros, I cannot wait to play as the newer characters such as Megaman and Greninja, that is going to be my #1 best combat.

It's 5AM so ill be brief

Wonderfiul 101: Fast, fluid, colorful, and stylish as all hell. It feels so good taking out scores of enemies with the many 101 abilities at your disposal, using unique combinations and attack and such. And you get such good feedback from it that every hit you make FEELS genuinely good. Couldn't ask for a more satisfying beat-em-up/character action game.

Zelda: I like the constant energy. I think this kind of combat shines the most when you're up against an enemy that has a similar sword/shield set up to yours. Then you really see where it shines. Quick reactions, dodging, parries, counterattacks, it's all extremely fun. I think WW/TP perfected this kind of system, and I even like what they did with it in SS, having the player more involved with what they're doing.

Smash: One of the few fighting games I can geuniley get into and have a real good time with. It's simple for beginning players to get into, but it stands up rather well in high-level play, getting the opportunity to get some excellent matches out of it. Ot's always fun playing mind games with your opponent and trying to get the upperhand. I still recall a final Smash match I had at a tournament as one of the most thrilling experiences ive had in a video game. Good stuff.

nbtjAp3.png

Paper Mario, especially TTYD, has my favorite RPG battle system, so I'd be foolish to not mention this aspect of the game at least once even though many other choices come to mind such as Viewtiful Joe or BioShock 1 and 2. I just love how in total control you are of your characters in these games, because it's just not enough to select attacks in a menu and wait for the animation to play out. You can increase your damage output, block, counterattack, unleash special moves that get more powerful the better you perform in a small minigame that plays out, etc. I like the badge system and I enjoy making use out of many of them while sticking to several tried and true favorites. Also, and this is a thing I wish more RPGs did, the numbers in the Paper Mario games are extraordinarily simple. Your basic jump attack does 1 damage, a well-timed jump does 2, equipping badges adds 1 per, guarding at the right time minimizes damage by 1, performing a stat-enhancing special move increases your attack and defense by 2, and so on and so forth. You can do all of the math in your head without having to rely on arbitrary behind-the-scenes formulas, it's fucking brilliant and I can't believe this isn't a thing that more RPGs do.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 17 - Best "Stop with those pitiful little taps and try out some real MANLY Moves, Ninja" Combat

Wario-world-SAD.jpg

HAVE A ROTTEN DAY!!!

It was the first thing that came to mind, so I'm going with that :V. Wario World's combat is relatively simple really. Wario's basic moveset is his standard shoulder charge which plows through smaller enemies and deals multiple hits to larger ones (while also allowing you to cover ground faster), the Ground Pound (which is more for puzzle and platforming, but its still useful from time to time) and a basic two punch combo, which extends into a powerful headbutt when it connects with enemies. Of course thats not all...

One of the major parts about this game is what Wario can do once he lifts either background objects or larger enemies into the air. He gains three unique throws that each have their own uses. The Power Throw is as it sounds, build up power and launch things directly at enemies, barrelling through crowds with ease. The Piledriver, as anyone could guess, involves slamming whatever unlucky creature is caught in Wario's grip directly into the dirt below, clearing out enemies with a nice shockwave as well. And finally the Wild Swing Ding, where Wario takes the unfortunate enemy and swings them around and around and around and around and around, wiping out any enemies that happen to stray to close to the flabby cyclone of pain. 

What I like especially about Wario World's combat system though, is that its not just about beating up the enemies. Each of Wario's moves and throws is also incorporated into the level design as well, with special stage gimmicks and puzzles that require you utilize these moves. Not to mention that unlike most other games, where most of the special moves are locked out or useless against a boss, Wario's special throws are just as viable (or even necessary) for dealing damage to them.

I still want a sequel.....

• Thumbs Up 5

DAY SEVENTEEN - BEST COMBAT

I've got too many favorites, so I'll just list a few.

Super-Smash-Bros-DS-Screenshot-15.jpg

THE SUPER SMASH BROS. SERIES

Super Smash Bros. uses an incredibly simple, yet complex battle system. Two types of attacks combined with jumping and multiple directions on a controller weave together to form something with tons of depth. Smash Bros. is the go-to multiplayer game between me and my friends, and for good reason.

the_wonderful_101_37_605x.jpg

EVERYTHING BY PLATINUM GAMES

Platinum Games knows how to make a satisfying combat system. Between games like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, and The Wonderful 101, Platinum always gets it right. On top of that, each game's battle system has something unique that makes it worth delving into, which is pretty awesome.

3DS_MarioL4_scrn13_E3.jpg

THE MARIO RPG SERIES

Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, and Super Mario RPG all have unique battle systems built around the same concept - action commands. When attacking, hit a button to increase the damage you do. Mario & Luigi takes this to the next level, too - dodging and all attacks rely on action commands.

large.jpg

KID ICARUS UPRISING

Kid Icarus Uprising has a simple enough control scheme. Touch screen to Aim, Circle Pad to Move, and the L button to shoot. But, it's got more depth than that. 9 different types of weapons, with 18 in each category. Each weapon has unique attributes, on top of randomized modifiers. On top of that, you can craft weapons together to form new weapons with modifiers from the parent weapons.

SEVENTEENTH TIME'S THE CHARM

~ The Rules of Fight Club Are... ~

i4cgHaf.jpg

Day 17/30: Best Combat

Game Selected: Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012)

Platform: Nintendo 3DS

"Bows are a really good fit for you."
"Yeah, I've been using them for a long time."
"They're well suited for ranged attacks, and they split into blades for close combat. They're very well-rounded weapons."
"Oh, I know. I used them in the last brawl."
"Brawl?! How horrible! Were you hurt?"
"No way, it was a smash!"
"I just can't imagine you in a melee."
"That's... because I wasn't."

~Palutena & Pit

Alright, I get it, you're all probably sick of me constantly talking about this game by now in the thread, fine. Maybe if it weren't so gosh darned perfect, well, I wouldn't be talking about it now, now would I?

Seriously, how could I not?

When it comes to combat, Uprising absolutely nails it because it delivers just about everything. It's a quality dual rail-shooter (Flight sections) and third-person shooter (Ground sections) title on the surface, sure, but the amount of replayability at your disposal is staggering all thanks to the power of customization, be it the difficulty of the chapter you set up for yourself, or the weapons.

Oh my god, the weapons.

What you see up there is a collage of every weapon class in the game. Yes, there are nine entirely different types of toys that you can use to wail on the opposition, each ones with its own base strengths and weaknesses, and from there, each class has about 12 weapons to choose from. Yes, you've got 108 weapons to choose from, each with its own distinctive traits.

That's right: 108 weapons in total.

Holy SHIT THAT'S A LOT!

You've got the Arms, bulky tools fitted onto Pit's arm for increased melee damage, but lower range. You've got Blades, striking an overall balance in melee and ranged attacks. You've got Bows, firing homing shots arrows at high speed, making for excellent ranged attacking. You've got Cannons, heavy pieces of weaponry that allows Pit's attacks to roll and bounce on the walls and floor up until their detonation. You've got Claws, improving Pit's speed and adding more to his melee combos, but at the cost of weaker ranged attacks. You've got Clubs, the strongest melee weapons, but at the cost of decent mobility. You've got Orbitars, allowing you to shoot twice as much firepower at your foes. You've got Palms, magic-based weaponry that show up as glowing tattoos on Pit's arm. You've got Staffs, the equivalent to snipers.

Within each class, as we've already gone over, you have twelve uniquely different weapons with their own attributes. There's the Burning Palm, which allows you to burn enemies by default. You have the Meteor Bow, with heavy continuous fire. You have the Hedgehog Claws, which grants Pit a large speed boost (sound familiar?). There's the Magnus Club, a club shaped after Magnus' sword and is the most powerful melee weapon in the game. Some weapons are themed after the Zodiac, after specific in-game characters, and even after bosses (example. the Dark Pit Staff, the Palutena Bow, the Magnus Club, the Twinbellows Cannon etc...)!

And from THERE, no two of the same weapon are alike thanks to the power of stats and modifiers! As you play through the game at higher difficulties to reap better rewards (improved weaponry with higher stats), you'll start seeing more and more modifiers to play with. Poison+1, In peril Autododge+4, Melee Attack+2, Petrification+2, Freezing+1, Walking Speed+2, Running Speed+4, etc., to name a few! You could be the absolute fastest, you could deal the utmost amount of damage onto your foes, you could be a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, or you could inflict extra status conditions on top of the weapon's base powers (hell yeah you could combine the Burning Palm with poisoning)!

Can you even begin to realize the magnitude in the amount of variety you're given here? The number of different ways you can slaughter your enemies, be it in the main campaign or multiplayer?

It's amazing.

fite me losers

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 18 - Favorite Protagonist

1024px-Joel.png

Joel - The Last of Us

golly, I think I can hear the groaning already

Yeah, Joel. The guy very many people absolutely hate. The main character who's "an asshole from beginning to end". That Joel. It's actually kind of funny, It's come to the point that a lot of the criticisms thrown at Joel feel almost personal, because his character resonated with me so perfectly by the end of the game. Joel and Ellie are both some of the most remarkably well written characters I've ever seen in a video game (everything revolving around plot and presentation in TLoU is top-tier when it comes to games, honestly), but it's hard to think of a time I've found such a distinct and individualized character to be as relatable as Joel was for me.

The Last of Us begins like a lot of zombie movies do - right before the outbreak. You get a glimpse at the characters' lives before everything goes to hell, and it's a nice way of establishing the characters in a normal setting. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Beyond being fantastically presented all the way through, the prologue chapter of TLoU gives us insight on who Joel is in a normal world, and that's a very important thing to keep in mind for his character.

Joel isn't an everyman. He has a defined past, and it's one that makes a lot of sense considering the person he ended up being. Nothing horrifically tragic or terrible, but he definitely didn't lead an easy life. Sometime in his youth, he hooked up with a nice girl who we never actually meet in the game. The two got married and had a child named Sarah. He never had time to go to college as a result, and they fell on some hard times. His wife left him, and he was left to raise Sarah alone. We meet him around the time Sarah's twelve years old, at the very beginning of the game. He's a carpenter living alone with his daughter. The two share a nice relationship - he's caring, interactive, and does what he can for her. Right off the bat he's established to be a loving and caring father, and it's clear that Sarah loves him a lot too.

The outbreak happens, and we're flung twenty years in the future. We now see Joel as a hardened, cold, cynical man. The world is a setting that reflects this, as I've described in the "favorite story" day. One major issue people have with Joel is that he displays very little mercy and compassion for others. I'm compelled to disagree that this is a problem or even a real character flaw, though. He's adapted to the world that has wronged him, and he's learned just as well as the other survivors that in the wild, you kill, or you will be killed. The world has offered no mercy or compassion to Joel himself, so I see no reason for him to be expected to do the same for the people he meets beyond what is considered to be a standard moral compass. Morality is a hard thing to judge from our perspective because the world these characters live in is one that has very little tolerance for these things, and that's a major reason why I find discussions about the morality of the game so interesting.

The main focus of the plot revolves around the relationship between him and Ellie, and how it slowly develops during their journey across the United States. It's in this relationship that we see Joel's softer side again. Just like many of the other survivors, Joel's not a bad man. Rather, I think he's just... normal. I would be surprised to see someone living under the conditions he does, and having suffered in the same way he did, be a selfless and compassionate openly individual.

I can absolutely see eye to eye on the argument that he is a selfish person, as that's something I actually don't disagree on. However, I don't think this selfishness makes him a bad person or an asshole. I really believe that under the conditions the game places its characters under, selfishness is the only way to survive and to protect the people you love. Selfishness and self-preservation are one and the same, and this is not something to be taken lightly.

Learning about Joel's life and relationships bit by bit was one of my favorite things about The Last of Us. The way people interact with him and the things they'll say about him all give us little hints and clues at some of the things he'd done in those twenty years since the outbreak. Even enemies can be heard talking about him with fear. Joel's a scary man. But despite that, he's a good-hearted and who knows where his priorities lie - preservation and protection of his family and loved ones.

To anyone who's played it, I'll just end with this:

From Winter onward, there's not a single thing Joel did that I wouldn't have done myself under the same circumstances.
  • Thumbs Up 5